John Mallinson

It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our fellow moderator and fellow founder of this forum, John Mallinson.  John passed away on Friday after a short illness.  To say he will be missed is an understatement.

Not only was John a moderator for the forum, but as the administrator he set up all the systems that allow the forum to function technically on a day to day basis.  He was our liaison between the people running the server and us, and often managed to save us some money by proving that their stats were incorrect.  He was also one of our terrific triumvirate, with Ian and Janet, who so diligently provide the worldwide links every day.

John wore his moderator hat very subtly and behind the scenes.  His was always the voice of calm, of gentle reason, when all around us (including us) was going mad.  We could ask his advice on anything, and if we disagreed he would do his best to talk us round, in his calm and sensible way.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but it was always done with his quiet good humour and intellectual approach.  He always gave good reasons for his suggestions of what to do in a given situation.  

We will greatly miss his wit and wisdom, his technical prowess, his patience and his gentleness.  He was an old-fashioned sort of true gentleman, the likes of which we don't much see these days.  I have known John personally for 15 years and never once in all that time have I heard him swear, or be nasty about anybody or anything, no matter how angry he was.  Somehow with John, you always ended up laughing.   

We will miss his dedication and commitment to this forum.  As most of you know, we all started the forum together back in 2011.  No-one has ever left our motley little crew, and we work very well together.  When John wrote us a message a month or so ago telling us that he was unwell, his first concern was for the forum.  He even apologised for letting us down.  A couple of weeks ago, from his hospital bed, he communicated with us, worried about how the admin side of the forum was going.  This is the kind of man John was, and we will miss him more than we can say.

I am sure that you will all join us in thanking John for all that he did to make the forum the thriving place that it is today.  His contribution cannot be underestimated.  

On behalf of the moderators and all forum members, we send our deepest condolences to John's wife, two daughters, grandchildren and all of his family and friends.  

I will end with the words of a fellow moderator:  a true gentleman who will be sorely missed by all.

Rest in peace, John.  We are privileged that your life touched ours, and so many others.
  • Like 38

The news comes as a huge shock and a reminder of the frailty of life and how quickly things can change as we all get older. I will miss him greatly.

I spoke to John only a short while ago and we planned to meet up, but events have overtaken us all. John was quietly authoritative with a deliciously dry sense of humour and not one to gush. Super intelligent he was one of life's givers and somebody who always seemed to do the right thing. Wherever he is now, we can be assured he will be quietly contributing to making it better for all then it would ever otherwise be.

• Like 4

So sad to hear that John has died. A really lovely man.

I think it should be mentioned also that John was in charge of the excellent and informative website of The Ballet Association and was an invaluable source of technical help to those of us who report on the BA’s talks.

He is going to be missed in so many ways.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, capybara said:

So sad to hear that John has died. A really lovely man.

I think it should be mentioned also that John was in charge of the excellent and informative website of The Ballet Association and was an invaluable source of technical help to those of us who report on the BA’s talks.

He is going to be missed in so many ways.

Yes - one of life's givers and he took forward the BA site, which was rather lacklustre at the start, in a wonderful way.

• Like 3

I'll miss John on this site and also in the Stalls Circle Standing at the ROH where we had many an entertaining conversation over the years - I'll echo the tributes to his gentlemanly nature and tremendous sense of community but will miss also his erudite views, always pithily expressed with his characteristic dry wit. My deepest condolences to his family on this very sad news.

• Like 8

So sad to hear this. I didn't know John personally but he was clearly a wonderful and much loved person who has contributed so much in so many ways. May he rest in peace, and I send my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 2

I was stunned and very sad when I heard the news. So I can only imagine how much his family and close friends must be feeling. 

RIP John - and thanks for all the assistance, and the conversations in the SCS area (especially when Sarah Lamb was dancing). 

• Like 6

I only knew John in person through occasional interval chats, but I valued him very highly for his sense and sanity online, and his never-failing ability to calm down exasperated readers (me) via the messaging system. What a sad loss, to the site as a whole as well as to those who knew him.

I’m very sad and shocked to read of John’s passing . He was a true gentleman as many have said . I met him many years ago through ballet.co and he was always kind,  polite and thoughtful . Sincere condolences to his wife, family and friends on their loss . 

• Like 4

I can only echo these heartfelt tributes to John.  I will really miss his cool analysis of performances at Covent Garden, his gentlemanly manner, and not least his unabashed foraging amongst the snacks and sandwiches left in the Floral Hall (as I always think of it) by affluent members of the audience with eyes bigger than their stomachs!

• Like 5

What lovely words from everyone and I can only echo the shock and deep sadness we all feel.  I will dearly miss John’s calm manner, wonderful advice, endless patience and dry humour.  

He was a true gentleman and my most heartfelt condolences go to his family and all his friends, including my fellow Moderators, who knew John better than I. 

• Like 3

Condolences to John’s family and friends.  I didn’t know John but very much appreciated his impeccable judgement as a moderator on Ballet Forum.  Uplifting to read the many tributes paid - I wish I had known him.

• Like 4