Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

On 28/10/2022 at 00:23, Sim said:

They were one of the all-time great pairings in this ballet…just in my opinion.  

I totally agree.  And that's why I made a London RB trip (living in Abu Dhabi at the time) for Mara's farewell performance

• Like 3

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, capybara said:

She did dance Larisch one season and, maybe, took one season off.

Thank you for the info! What I was mainly saying, though, was - how amazing to have had multiple chances at the same role over 20 years, and from what I understand she never, ever simply dials it in.

Having had a quick squiz at ROH Collections, Nuñez has danced Mitzi Caspar in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2017, 2018, and 2022, Princess Louise in 2002 and 2003, and Marie Larisch in 2009 and 2013.

Edited by Sophoife
Added info
  • Like 2

I've found that a lot of the links to other topics on these ballet.co pages still work and lead to  interesting discussions, arguments etc - but beware, it's a very deep rabbit hole. (What was I actuallysupposed to be doing this afternoon?)

• Like 6

I'm sure when I read the comments after tonight's performance I'm going to feel envious of those who were there even though a) I'm booked for the cast's other performance, b) I didn't twig until well after doing my Mayerling bookings that tonight is the anniversary of MacMillan's death & c) I'm seeing ETO so couldn't have attended anyway!

What is it about Laura Morera? The performance tonight was beautifully  danced but to my eyes really lit up when she appeared. The pas de deux were taken, I think, more slowly than I have seen them in the past, were passionate, conveying every emotion possible and totally conveying all of this to the audience. I thought Matthew Ball danced superbly, although I think the first act will get better with time. Maya Magri was an excellent Larisch. Am I right in thinking that the sets, and possibly costumes have had a bit of a makeover - not for the best, I fear. Mitzi  Caspar's dress looked.  extremely odd

• Like 8

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Yet again some astonishing Rachel Hollings photos on Instagram, this time of the Matthew Ball cast. Should be a memorable evening for many reasons.

It was indeed.   Awesome performances from Matthew Ball and Laura Morera.  Just wow!  

• Like 5

Yes, Laura Morera was terrific.  She was an utterly convincing teenager, and gave an expressive and nuanced performance that it would be hard to better.  Just wonderful, so very memorable.  The only other cast I've seen this time round was McRae/Lamb and I found Steven's partnering with those incredible lifts, and the darkness of character he portrayed, to be more convincing that Matthew Ball's performance tonight.  Fumi Kaneko sparkled in her role as Mitzi Caspar, and Mayara Magri was an impressive Larisch.  Altogether a wonderful evening (but I still think the ballet should be slimmed down slightly!)

There were a number of famous faces in the audience - Lady MacMillan with her daughter and granddaughter, and we spotted Sir Derek Jacobi, Sir Peter Wright, Baroness Chakrabati amongst others.

• Like 3

Shout out for David Yudes who I thought was hugely impressive as Bratfisch tonight.   Extraordinary control and wonderful technique in every move.  He really pulled at my heartstrings when trying to distract the duo from their death pact.  

• Like 11

I’m surprised by the muted reaction to Matthew Ball’s Rudolf. I thought he was absolutely brilliant - the most human and therefore most devastating I’ve seen in the role.

I thought Magri particularly strong as Larisch, and she and Ball had palpable chemistry. Laura Morera was excellent, though I wasn’t quite convinced by the pairing. Kaneko brought a lot of glamour to Mitzi Caspar. 

• Like 2

I’ve now seen two performances of Mayerling – the live screening and last night’s performance with Matthew Ball as Rudolf.

I had forgotten just how shocking it is as a ballet. The pas de deux with Princess Stephanie is brutal - you almost want to look away - and those between Rudolf and Mary terrifyingly intense. But it’s also thrilling and mesmerising - I was on the edge of my seat both in the cinema and at Covent Garden, the story is so compelling and the characters so distinctive, human and complex.

I really enjoyed (if that's the right word) the live screening. It must have been a challenge to start the season with such a complicated and demanding ballet and have the first night broadcast round the world. I thought the company looked in very good form - a particular strength for me was the rich detail in the interpretation and interaction of the characters. Although everything revolves round Rudolf, this felt like an ensemble piece where the interrelationships between characters was more important than any one individual. I think the ability to deliver this in a performance is a huge strength of the Royal Ballet.

The additional material in the cinema screening helpfully introduced all the women - but I thought their different characters were extremely well delineated, from Francesca Hayward's almost catatonic Stephanie, to Marienela Nunez’ exquisitely playful Mitzi Caspar and Itziar Mendizabal’s glacial Empress. As others have said, Laura Morera was absolutely superb as Marie Larisch - so many layers to her portrayal – she was maternal, coquettish and manipulative by turn (and sometimes simultaneously!). I agree that more about the plot in the additional material would have helped illuminate some of the historical/ political details.

I thought Natalia Osipova brought out the youth of Mary Vetsera, her single-minded infatuation for Rudolf and her naivety. She portrayed her as more ingenuous and less manipulative than other interpretations I have seen. Similarly, Ryoichi Hirano’s Rudolf seemed to me reserved and inwardly tortured – more of a victim of his circumstances, than a selfish monster. I tend to favour understated performances and like Hirano’s elegant style – and I found this convincing, coherent and moving.  I thought they were a good pairing – though not as electrifying as some I’ve seen – and this may have been because it was their first performance. The last scene was painfully sad – all that love, passion, loss – waste of young lives. Mayerling isn’t a ballet that makes me want to weep – it provokes rather a sense of despair at the terrible ways human beings can destroy themselves and each other.

I agree that Petroc Trelawney is a professional, knowledgeable and fluent presenter – but rather missed the more ebullient and personal style of Darcey Bussell. You feel she absolutely loves ballet and can’t wait to see the show. I always think I’d like to be sitting next to her in the auditorium! While there is so much to enjoy in the view you get in live screenings, I don’t really like very close close ups and lots of cutting away – I want to see the whole stage, or at least the characters on stage, especially in a ballet like Mayerling, where interaction between them is so important – and agree with previous comments about it being too dark.

Coming back to see the show last night (from the amphitheatre) I relished hearing the orchestra live – the sound was wonderful – and enjoyed the atmosphere you can only experience being in the House. It became stiller and more tense as the story progressed till the last act where you could sense people hardly daring to breathe. At the same time, sitting in the gods, you realise how much you miss being such a long way away from the stage. Even with opera glasses, I couldn’t see expressions and missed details – so everything depended on the dancing. I thought this cast was also terrific. For me, Matthew Ball’s more explicitly emotional and tortured Rudolf, brought out in every painful extension and contraction was a slightly different but also valid interpretation – I agree he was brilliant - and I found it incredibly moving, especially his final solo. (Thought he looked absolutely done in at the curtain calls). The intensity of the relationship between Mary and Rudolf was superbly portrayed – I found Laura Morera a less naïve and more knowing Mary than Natalia Osipova – but just as passionate. (What extraordinary talent to be equally accomplished as Larisch and Mary – she absolutely commands the stage.) Meaghan Grace Hinkis less traumatised than Francesca Hayward in her interpretation of Stephanie – more bewildered and desperate – but both worked for me. I felt there was more of a lingering relationship between Matthew Ball’s Rudolf and Mayara Magri’s Larisch – agree ‘palpable chemistry’ – whereas I felt Laura Morera was completely in control of Rudolf  in her partnership with Ryoichi Hirano. I agree with Fiona that David Yudes was tremendous as Bratfisch – and found Fumi Kaneko delightful as Mitzi.

My overwhelming feeling is that Mayerling is an extraordinary ballet – one that offers so many rich and interesting roles for dancers, that can be interpreted in different and valid ways - a wonderful showcase for the incredible talent in the Royal Ballet. This insight into human character and relationships and an ability to express it in choreography is, for me, the genius of Kenneth Macmillan. The ballet explores themes and ideas that are universal and eternal and I come away entertained, provoked, moved, educated – with a sense of the power of art to make us reflect on our own lives, confront ourselves as human beings and also feel uplifted by the experience.

• Like 14

I just adore this ballet … there are so many complex roles for all the leads.  And really tricky choreography in all the pdds and solos, to be over layered with the characters.  It really is a masterpiece.  I’ve seen it many times and each time I see something new in an interpretation or the way a dancer performs the choreography.  

Highlights for me: 

- Matthew … he is superb in this role.  He has all the dramatic range and then the beauty to gain your empathy, and, more than enough technique for some wow moments.  There was an enormous entrelace at one point (I may have exclaimed aloud 🙊

- his heartbreaking final solo (the one where he pulls his legs).  He put EVERYTHING into this solo and the final duet that follows. 

- thrilling duet with Meaghan as his wife.  Those jumps where she runs at his back and he catches her leg ‘without’ looking were out of this world.  I like her awkwardness at the wedding and quickly terrified portrayal in the bedroom.  

- superb Bratfisch by David Yudes 

- divine, sexy and alluring Fumi as Mitzi Caspar in the brothel

- lovely debut by Gina as the Empress. Those eyes and her carriage!  She says on her Instagram that Gary Avis was a late substitute as her lover and I had noticed (but will forgive in the circumstances) some unusually poor partnering.  

- super debut by Mayara as Larisch.  Lots of nuance and desperation to rekindle their love.  Exquisite use of extension and music.  Cunning complicity in the card scene

- impressed with Mica Bradbury as Princess Louise (as I had been by Leticia Dias in the cinema relay).  Both have such strong technique that they can use tempo of movement of their legs and arms to accentuate the meaning.  

Unusually I did not ‘get’ Laura Morera’s Mary.  Maybe it’s my problem, as I kept seeing her excellent Larisch in my head. 

I’d much rather have seen Mayara as Mary and Laura as Larisch.   

• Like 7

It's been really wonderful reading people's reviews on the different casts of Mayerling, I am booked into see Ryoichi Hirano and Melissa Hamilton on the 21st November, I am really looking forward to seeing the ballet as it's the only one of MacMillan's major full lengths works I have wanted to see, I've seen Manon and Romeo and Juliet both twice, so it will be nice to complete the trio.

If I was made of money I'd love to see more casts but it's enough to read people's perspectives and memories on it.

I saw the cinema live cast earlier this month with Ryoichi Hirano and it will be interesting to see his portrayal of Crown Prince Rudolf later in the run.

It's one of my favourite ballets and I think it stems from watching a recording of the 1994 performance of Mayerling with Irek Mukhamedov and Viviana Durante, my memory is hazy but I believe the BBC showed it on TV, was young at the time so probably not a suitable ballet for child lol but I just loved the music and it was very striking, different to other ballets we had on VHS. 

I've been watching House of the Dragon and so Mayerling with its complex, violent family dynamics seem to fit in quite well! 

• Like 8

Just to mention for those who weren't there that Kevin O'Hare spoke before the performance about MacMillan's death 30 years ago and how much he meant and means to the company, and of course dedicated the performance to his memory. When he said that MacMillan's wife, daughter and grand-daughter were in the audience there was prolonged applause. He also said that some of the members of the original cast of Mayerling were there (I hope perhaps that included Lynn Seymour?) and some of the cast from that performance 30 years ago. (In fact Gary Avis mentioned on Instagram that he, Elizabeth McGorian and Christopher Saunders who were performing last night were in the performance 30 years ago.) I found it very moving.

And I thought it was an excellent performance from all the cast, with the real stand-out for me being Laura Morera. Her dramatic intelligence and musicality made for a completely seamless portrayal of Mary with every moment drenched with meaning and focus. (As was the case with her Larisch on opening night.) I found Matthew Ball very moving and sincere, Mayara Magri an excellent Larisch, and Fumi Kaneko positively glowing as Mitzi Caspar. But it was a wonderful company performance and one of which I'm sure Kenneth MacMillan would have been proud.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I can only second everything everyone before me has said about last night's performance. It was terrific, really mesmerising. Several times there was quite a lot of coughing in the auditorium but during the final pas de deux you could have heard a pin drop. It was incredible. I was sat close to the stage and kept forgetting to breath! I thought Matthew really good; an exceptionally moving performance (I hadn't seen him before). Laura whom I had seen before with Bonelli I thought gave the performance of her life. It was just amazing and I kept thinking her dress was going to come off in the last pas de deux such was the violence of their passion for each other. After their amazing Month in the Country together I hoped that Vadim would be partnered by her and was disappointed when he wasn't. Perhaps he will be next time it's staged, as those 2 would definitely be my preferred cast for filming. As previous posers have said it is a great ensemble ballet and the entire cast gave it their all. I love Bratfisch as a character (all the Bratfisch's I've seen have been great) and always wish he had more to do (not sure where or what) as it is such a playful, virtuoso role and gives some light relief to an otherwise very intense ballet.

Waited at the stage door afterwards and Matthew appeared briefly, very apologetic for not being able to spend more time but there was a function on he was attending and just came down to acknowledge those waiting which I thought was a lovely gesture.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I love Bratfisch as a character (all the Bratfisch's I've seen have been great) and always wish he had more to do (not sure where or what) as it is such a playful, virtuoso role and gives some light relief to an otherwise very intense ballet.

In the aftermath of the performance I've been thinking about Bratfisch... really he is the only completely sympathetic character in the piece IMO and also one of the most tragic, given that he really seems to care about the young couple's suicide whilst the rest of the court were probably only thinking how to cover up the scandal.

• Like 9

A fabulous evening with Laura Morera simply astonishing as Mary. She lit up the stage demanding our attention in every scene, including her brief appearances in Act 1. The card scene was immaculately and joyously danced, a refreshing contrast to more manic portrayals, and I thought she was in many ways leading Rudolf in their first PDD. I wondered if the lights dimmed too quickly at the end of the pistol PDD. The final PDD was searing.

I was very taken with Matthew Ball’s Rudolph. His scenes with Franz Josef and Elisabeth were chilling. His flirting with Louise (Mica Bradbury) was such a contrast to the shocking ending of Act 1, a scene I find increasingly disturbing. I thought Meaghan Grace-Hinkis was good and got the rage right. Ball wound up the tension in Acts 2 and 3 with wonderfully expressive solos and those ever more desperate PDDs - a compelling Rudolf.

Fumi Kaneko was a delicious Mitzi. I didn’t find Mayara Magri’s Larisch as engaging as some and I also thought Gary Avis struggled a bit in his PDD with Gina Storm-Jensen but from Instagram I think he may well have been a fairly late Bay.

We’re so fortunate to have such casts for Mayerling and I’m very much looking to seeing the Ball and Muntagirov casts’ second performances as well as others who’ve yet to perform.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, JohnS said:

A fabulous evening with Laura Morera simply astonishing as Mary. She lit up the stage demanding our attention in I also thought Gary Avis struggled a bit in his PDD with Gina Storm-Jensen but from Instagram I think he may well have been a fairly late Bay.

Avis replaced Lukas BB as Bay Middleton and Saunders replaced Avis as The Emperor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

A fabulous evening with Laura Morera simply astonishing as Mary. She lit up the stage demanding our attention in every scene, including her brief appearances in Act 1. The card scene was immaculately and joyously danced, a refreshing contrast to more manic portrayals, and I thought she was in many ways leading Rudolf in their first PDD. I wondered if the lights dimmed too quickly at the end of the pistol PDD. The final PDD was searing.

I was very taken with Matthew Ball’s Rudolph. His scenes with Franz Josef and Elisabeth were chilling. His flirting with Louise (Mica Bradbury) was such a contrast to the shocking ending of Act 1, a scene I find increasingly disturbing. I thought Meaghan Grace-Hinkis was good and got the rage right. Ball wound up the tension in Acts 2 and 3 with wonderfully expressive solos and those ever more desperate PDDs - a compelling Rudolf.

Fumi Kaneko was a delicious Mitzi. I didn’t find Mayara Magri’s Larisch as engaging as some and I also thought Gary Avis struggled a bit in his PDD with Gina Storm-Jensen but from Instagram I think he may well have been a fairly late Bay.

We’re so fortunate to have such casts for Mayerling and I’m very much looking to seeing the Ball and Muntagirov casts’ second performances as well as others who’ve yet to perform.

Yes I thought that about the lights…they went down before we could see Mary push the gun to Rudolf’s temple, thus making clear what is going to happen. 

• Like 2

Just to point out that there is a very interesting review of Muntagirov’s Rudolf in today’s links (Seeing Dance) but you have to scroll down a loooong way as the first part of the article is about POB performances. It’s worth reading once you get there, though! (And, of course, reading about the POB’s Mayerling is informative too!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Simply for information, in the current Paris production, the dancers fire their own guns, the coffin is lowered by the attendants, the lights stay on until the scenes have finished and the hunting party takes place in a snowy forest.  I will check again tonight because of my defective eyesight.

• Like 2

Last Friday I saw Mayerling in Paris (Gilbert and Marchand), there were no accidents, no falling beard, no guns misfire 😃 and the  performance of the dancers was really grea and breathtaking.  On November 11, I will see Vadim Muntagirov in London. I am very much looking forward to the possibility of comparing both productions 😉

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

Last Friday I saw Mayerling in Paris (Gilbert and Marchand), there were no accidents, no falling beard, no guns misfire 😃 and the  performance of the dancers was really grea and breathtaking.  On November 11, I will see Vadim Muntagirov in London. I am very much looking forward to the possibility of comparing both productions 😉

Glad to hear you enjoyed and are looking forward to a London performance!

Lucky you, @Dawnstar  I clicked on one, and when I went to put it in the basket a red bar popped up saying 'there is a problem with processing your ticket'.  It didn't tell me what the problem was, so I went out and back in again, by which time it was gone.  I am so annoyed by this.  I will resist the temptation to rant about the ROH's lousy website....

• Like 1

I guess I was very lucky the website worked alright for me then. I had it open in both Firefox & Chrome in case of issues & made my booking in Firefox as the seating plan loaded faster in there. The last time I tried to get rush tickets, for the 15th October Mayerlings, I got a ticket for the matinee straight away but by the time I then went on to the evening performance it was showing as sold out. I spend over half an hour refreshing & eventually some rush tickets popped up, so it seems that sometimes persistance works. I probably shouldn't say this, as doubtless next time I try & book anything it'll be a disaster, but recently I haven't had any major ticket booking issues.

• Like 2