Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back to look (via McRae’s Twitter/Fb, which is extensive!) after you mentioned it, capybara....you are right! It was after she was promoted to principal! McRae does indeed record that last minute debut in 2017. Gosh, somehow it felt much longer ago than that! 

• Like 1

I thought Sambe & Hayward worked well together. I wonder if they'll get cast together more often in the future after LWFC & now this? Given there are a limited number of female dancers who are small enough for Sambe - even Lamb's a bit too tall & I'm not sure why Bradbury was Princess Louise in this cast when she was nearly half a head taller than Sambe when she was en pointe - it does feel like more pairings together could be good. It was interesting how different some of the choreography looked on Sambe to on the taller Rudolfs. He seemed particularly at home in the more modern choreography (if modern is the right way to describe when Rudolf's having his various floor-based meltdown moments?). Hayward unsurprisingly seemed perfectly suited to Mary Vetsera.

I can't decide if I prefer Lamb as Mary Vertsera or Countess Larisch, as I think she's excellent in both roles. I'd quite like it if she could be cloned & do both in the same performance! Her Larisch is so perfectly poised. When she entered in the Act II party scene it seemed right that, unlike other Larisches, she wasn't still pulling up her gloves or adjusting her dress & hair because her Larisch was too in control to have to do anything like that. In her last scene in Act III it felt like she was upset not just because of caring for Rudolf but because for once she found herself in a situation which she couldn't control or manipulate, so she admitted defeat & sent in Mary Vetsera instead.

I suppose a fairly small cast change but I was disappointed that Edmonds was replaced as Bay Middleton at the last minute as I had been looking forward to see what he'd do in the role. (Also annoying that the cast sheet hasn't been changed. Surely one of the few advantages of having digital cast sheets should be that last minute cast changes can be noted.)

I agree with the comments about Richardson, he's really stood out as a Hungarian Officer for me as well. He's such a good actor & gets so into the tavern scene - to the point of being almost entirely unbuttoned! Looking forward to seeing him in the Nutcracker at the end of the month, even though that's not exactly a role notable for its acting requirements. I hope in the future he gets to do more of the major acting roles including Des Grieux & Princes Siegfried & Rudolf.

• Like 15

Yes I thought Sambe and Hayward were very well suited they both have an ease of style and naturalness in their dancing nothing seems forced. 
I haven’t seen many Larische’s in the last few years but Lamb is the best one for me. She creates that tension somehow of holding her love  in for Rudolf and that feeling of a sort of unexpressed grief. I love her in this role. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

(Also annoying that the cast sheet hasn't been changed. Surely one of the few advantages of having digital cast sheets should be that last minute cast changes can be noted.)

Quite.  And could even be amended after the fact.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alison said:

Quite.  And could even be amended after the fact.

Which it hasn't been, as I checked it twice today. Given I don't have the expensive type of Adobe that allows .pdfs to be amended, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to change it myself. Paper cast sheets were so much easier, when you could just write a note on them!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

Which it hasn't been, as I checked it twice today. Given I don't have the expensive type of Adobe that allows .pdfs to be amended, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to change it myself. Paper cast sheets were so much easier, when you could just write a note on them!

3 hours ago, alison said:

I only have the free version of Adobe Reader, and have managed to strike through people's names and add a comment or note that something has been changed.

There's also a free version of Foxit PDF that allows such note-making.

• Like 2

I very much enjoyed the Sambé cast’s second performance, yet another outstanding performance in this Mayerling run and one of those performances which will live long in the memory.
That first Rudolf solo is incredibly exposed and there have been more secure performances from others this run. But I thought Marcelino Sambé was very quickly into his stride when dancing with Louise. Again I was struck by Sambe’s more aggressive treatment of Louise, his insistence that she complied with his wishes, and a big shout out for Mica Bradbury’s Louise. The Elisabeth/Rudolf PDD was wonderful and as others have said earned applause. The Stephanie/Rudolf PDD at the end of Act 1 is shocking and I wished there were a more natural flow. At times it seemed that Isabella Gasperini would freeze waiting for the next lift/move.
Acts 2 and 3 worked incredibly well with the tension building to the inevitable tragedy, Sambé and Francesca Hayward equal partners in the suicide, and the whole cast playing their part, the Royal Ballet at their finest. I loved the card seen with Sarah Lamb and Francesca Hayward so well matched and as always good to see Elizabeth McGorian’s Helene. The Hungarian officers were excellent, led by William Bracewell. He takes such care of Mitzi (Mayara Magri) in those huge collective lifts, for example guiding and placing her foot with such tenderness, and Mayara Magri reached enormous heights. The cast were clearly enjoying a great party throughout the tavern/brothel scene.
I know some people are less keen on Franz Josef’s birthday party and the hunt scenes but I think they help enormously as they show Rudolf’s despair and flesh out other characters which I think are needed to understand Rudolf’s motivation. Elisabeth and Bay provide helpful contrast to Elisabeth’s lack of meternal interest and her conventional court marriage. And Rudolf’s observing their warmth reinforces what he has never had leading to his searing party scene solo. The quiet reflection during ‘Ich Scheide’ gives chance to catch breath, see the reactions of Rudolf, Larisch and Stephanie to the song and the events unfolding, and consider the possibilities of who’s leaving. It’s also opportunity to confirm yes Elisabeth had just given Franz Josef a portrait of his lover for his birthday and perhaps do some idle updating to more recent times to appreciate the shock value. As for the hunt scene we’re presented with a number of possibilities for Rudolf, not necessarily mutually exclusive: repeating the conventional court marriage of Franz Josef/Elisabeth; pursuing affairs, possibly with Larisch as procurer; and siding publicly with the Hungarian officers. The tragic shooting is an accident, normally a ricochet off the frozen ground. And the scene works best when there is silence as Rudolf, the royal shooting party, and the audience realise the awfulness of the accident.

But ulitimately the best Mayerlings demand fabulous dancing, a shared commitment, and extraordinary energy from Rudolf and Mary which Sambé and Hayward delivered in spades. They complemented each other so well and made for one of those very special evenings. I thought Sambe’s Act 3 solo devastating and Hayward made more of her engagement with the final moments of the solo than others - she is surely a great actor as well as dancer. The final PDD was utterly compelling, silence save for their breathing as they both took hold of the gun. And the final curtain too ended in complete silence. A great audience reception and what a fitting way to end this fabulous Mayerling run.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Great review JohnS

I thought Sambe was so so much better than I was expecting in this role so has really increased my respect for him as a dancer now as know he can act as well!!! I just knew Hayward would be great as she seems to be a personal muse of the Gods of Dance!! 
I haven’t written a big review on Mayerling just some comments on individual performances because unfortunately I still can’t warm too much to this ballet ….it’s a long way from my favourite ….so have not seen it as much as others have here in the last two runs …though accumulative over time I suppose.
However I can still recognise wonderful dance performances and so still regret I had to miss Muntagirov in this role …he sounded really amazing but actually I don’t think Sambe can be too far off greatness as Rudolf either. 
I will go and see it again but only because of the terrific talent of dancing in the current Royal Ballet. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I thought Sambe & Hayward worked well together. I wonder if they'll get cast together more often in the future after LWFC & now this?

I certainly hope so - they were electrifying in LWFC as well. (Side note, will there ever be a DVD or stream release for that? I really hope so.) But I hope Sambé continues his great partnership with O'Sullivan - they're certainly one of my favourite Romeo and Juliet pairings. I also enjoy seeing him partnering Mayara Magri, I think they have good chemistry together - I believe they were partnered in Corybantic Games, and it was interesting seeing them work together as Rosaura/Pedro in LWFC.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I certainly hope so - they were electrifying in LWFC as well. (Side note, will there ever be a DVD or stream release for that? I really hope so.) But I hope Sambé continues his great partnership with O'Sullivan - they're certainly one of my favourite Romeo and Juliet pairings. I also enjoy seeing him partnering Mayara Magri, I think they have good chemistry together - I believe they were partnered in Corybantic Games, and it was interesting seeing them work together as Rosaura/Pedro in LWFC.

I remember saying on this forum a few years ago that just when I was grieving the loss of Roberta Marquez as Lise in Fille (still my favourite), along came Hayward/Sambe and gave one spectacular performance of Fille.  It filled me with joy, and I really, really hope that this ballet will be brought back very soon and that they will be paired in it again.    

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Sim said:

I remember saying on this forum a few years ago that just when I was grieving the loss of Roberta Marquez as Lise in Fille (still my favourite), along came Hayward/Sambe and gave one spectacular performance of Fille.  It filled me with joy, and I really, really hope that this ballet will be brought back very soon and that they will be paired in it again.    

I'm just hoping Fille will be brought back soon full stop, whoever's cast in it, because I have still to see it live!

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I certainly hope so - they were electrifying in LWFC as well. (Side note, will there ever be a DVD or stream release for that? I really hope so.)

Since there's still a month and a half until the cinema showing I imagine it won't be until some months after that that it gets to either DVD or streaming. Opus Arte do still seem to be producing some ROH DVDs, I saw a tweet yesterday that last season's Jenufa is now out on DVD, so given LWFC is new I would guess it has a high chance of a DVD release? Ironically, having been unable to see it live because I got covid, I've now realised I can't even see the main cinema broadcast because it's the same night as Magri & Corrales making their SB lead debuts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Since there's still a month and a half until the cinema showing I imagine it won't be until some months after that that it gets to either DVD or streaming. Opus Arte do still seem to be producing some ROH DVDs, I saw a tweet yesterday that last season's Jenufa is now out on DVD, so given LWFC is new I would guess it has a high chance of a DVD release?

I really hope so. I saw that in Dance Europe's Dancers of the Year video, there's a clip of Cesar Corrales performing as Juan Alejandrez from Act 2, at minute 8.07 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toptPhcicGY&ab_channel=DanceEurope
Curious as to where they obtained the clip from.

Back to Mayerling - does anyone know where I can find the full score? I'm only able to find random excerpts on Spotify so far. I really want to listen to it again in full.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Back to Mayerling - does anyone know where I can find the full score? I'm only able to find random excerpts on Spotify so far. I really want to listen to it again in full.

Unfortunately doesn't seem to exist - maybe we should petition ROH to record it, now would be a perfect opportunity as the orchestra are currently sounding absolutely phenomenal!

• Like 8

Ironically, having been unable to see it live because I got covid, I've now realised I can't even see the main cinema broadcast because it's the same night as Magri & Corrales making their SB lead debuts.

Are there no Encore screenings where you are, Dawnstar?

Yes, there are, so I'll probably able to catch one of those. I just find it ironic that having been unable to see it live I now can't see the first cinecast either, especially as until I book ENB's Swan Lake a couple of days ago the 19th was the only day in January when I had something booked. It feels almost as if fate didn't want me to see LWFC!

I finally brought myself to watch the Insight stream. This may have been a mistake. Not only am I even more depressed at having not seen Morera's Mary but, having thought after seeing 8 performances that I was getting Mayerlinged-out, I now want to see it again!

• Like 8