Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

11 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

It is the fluidity of his dancing, elegance and the way he emotes that pulls me in. I have seen William Bracewell perform Dance of the Blessed Spirits online (think it was a streamed performance during lockdown?)....

On line during lockdown? I believe that was Munatgirov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch3KYtfEdWg

And even if it wasn't, thank you for reminding me.......

Edited by oncnp

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I thought he danced beautifully, though I felt the costume was extremely exposing and I wondered how difficult it is to wear a costume like that - there is nowhere to hide and Bracewell said as much in interviews I have read.

You wait until we get Requiem back in the repertoire - and maybe the dancers should think themselves lucky that Josephslegende (Neumeier?) isn't :) .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, oncnp said:

On line during lockdown? I believe that was Munatgirov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch3KYtfEdWg

And even if it wasn't, thank you for reminding me.......

Yes - I have seen that. I think I saw William Bracewell’s version on his Instagram account and he has talked about how nerve-wracking it was in interviews. 
Edit - I loved Muntagirov’s too!

Edit again - I tell a lie - it’s on Facebook! I don’t know how to link from FB, but if you Google Bracewell and Dance of Blessed Spritis it comes up straight away.

This works for me:

https://m.facebook.com/Balletoccidente/videos/william-bracewell-dance-of-the-blessed-spirits/1797379777127944/

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Much as I admire William Bracewell, I wonder whether it would be safer on BCF to steer clear of remarks about dancers’ bodies which go further than shorter or taller, for example?

A purely aesthetic observation, Capybara, as enhancing the overall artistic effect. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

Yes - I have seen that. I think I saw William Bracewell’s version on his Instagram account and he has talked about how nerve-wracking it was in interviews. 

Edit again - I tell a lie - it’s on Facebook! I don’t know how to link from FB, but if you Google Bracewell and Dance of Blessed Spritis it comes up straight away.

This works for me:

https://m.facebook.com/Balletoccidente/videos/william-bracewell-dance-of-the-blessed-spirits/1797379777127944/

Ah, yes, thank you - I'd not seen that before and it is so graceful.  Bracewell is not a favourite of mine due to his off-putting facial expressions during partnering, but in this he is just lovely.  Rather like a male equivalent of Hayward in his fluid elegance.  Talking of whom, I look forward to Francesca's interpretation of Mary Vetsera - has anyone seen her in this role before? Usually she is one of the most convincing dance-actors for me. She seems to deeply transform into the character she is playing in a quite magical way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Talking of whom, I look forward to Francesca's interpretation of Mary Vetsera - has anyone seen her in this role before? Usually she is one of the most convincing dance-actors for me. She seems to deeply transform into the character she is playing in a quite magical way.

I think it's her debut in the role this time round. I for one am very excited about seeing her dance it! 

• Like 2

I apologise to whichever mod had to delete my post regarding flimsy costumes - I added photos, one of Steven Heathcote in Spartacus and one of Kirill Kourlaev and Denys Cherevychko in Josephs Legende - purely in order to demonstrate, as @alison and @Linnzi5 had commented on, the brevity of some costumes. On reflection it was an inappropriate post as being both well off-topic and probably NSFW. Mea culpa.

4 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

This works for me:

Wiiliam Bracewell danced "Dance of Blessed Spirits" - Within the Golden Hour Mixed Programme Livestream 13.11.2020.

Edited by Jorgeb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A reminder to anybody who hasn’t seen it, the  South Bank Show about the original Royal Ballet production of Mayerling and its genesis is on YouTube. David Wall is, of course, mesmerising as Rudolf (and keen to point out in interview that he tries to find the man not the monster, feeling the key lies in the Crown Prince’s troubled childhood) and Merle Park is a revelation as Larisch. Wonderfully informative to hear Kenneth MacMillan, Gillian Freeman and John Lanchbery discussing the creative process, whilst Lynn Seymour makes her views on Vetsera’s moral and personal failings very clear. Nothing pretty or innocent in her take on the character. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The 2009 version with Edward Watson and Mara Galeazzi is now being streamed on the ROH's new streaming site.

Should be quite interesting as this was made before I started watching ballet so I won't have seen quite a lot of the cast before.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 18:22, alison said:

Wow! I've just found the printout I made of that web page about eight years ago, and then used as the basis to search for a CD set containing as much of the original material as I could.

The 4 CD set I ended up buying was Franz Liszt: Complete Symphonic Poems - London Philharmonic Orchestra under Bernard Haitink, from the  late 60s (you can find it on Spotify by searching for Liszt: Tone Poems Haitink - the cover is orange).

I think it's wonderful to listen to: the music is at the same time both completely familiar and yet powerfully different in pace, tone and emphasis. Lanchbery did a truly amazing job compiling the pieces into the ballet score.

On a different tack, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Kobborg/Cojacaru Mayerling. We were lucky enough to get return tickets to what turned out to be their truly memorable farewell performance.

Really enjoying seeing the different casts and how their interpretations vary. Loved every one so far!

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Mummykool said:

Wow! I've just found the printout I made of that web page about eight years ago, and then used as the basis to search for a CD set containing as much of the original material as I could.

The 4 CD set I ended up buying was Franz Liszt: Complete Symphonic Poems - London Philharmonic Orchestra under Bernard Haitink, from the  late 60s (you can find it on Spotify by searching for Liszt: Tone Poems Haitink - the cover is orange).

I think it's wonderful to listen to: the music is at the same time both completely familiar and yet powerfully different in pace, tone and emphasis. Lanchbery did a truly amazing job compiling the pieces into the ballet score.

On a different tack, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Kobborg/Cojacaru Mayerling. We were lucky enough to get return tickets to what turned out to be their truly memorable farewell performance.

Really enjoying seeing the different casts and how their interpretations vary. Loved every one so far!

Many thanks for the Haitink recommendation. Will investigate 🎶

Is there any reason the score has never been recorded? Presumably it is felt there wouldn't be enough of an audience but I personally adore it, and the Manon ballet music is available so I don't know why Mayerling is not... The original piano pieces are wonderful in their own right but definitely not the same!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ellyb said:

Is there any reason the score has never been recorded? Presumably it is felt there wouldn't be enough of an audience but I personally adore it, and the Manon ballet music is available so I don't know why Mayerling is not... The original piano pieces are wonderful in their own right but definitely not the same!

I would definitely buy a recording of the score!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MJW said:

The 2009 version with Edward Watson and Mara Galeazzi is now being streamed on the ROH's new streaming site.

Should be quite interesting as this was made before I started watching ballet so I won't have seen quite a lot of the cast before.

They were one of the all-time great pairings in this ballet…just in my opinion.  

• Like 5

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Re the Watson cast: it was recorded from his second season in the role, which I thought was actually the least strong of all of them.  Now, if only that April 19th (2013?) performance which has seemingly gone down in the annals of ballet history had been recorded ...

• Like 2

I have the leaflet with Cope and Rojo in a stunning Mayerling pas de deux moment pinned by my desk- it is a fantastic image. Cope was my all-time favourite in the role.

When he retired so prematurely, Rojo bemoaned the fact that their partnership would not be able to grow to its full potential- I remember it well and they were indeed a great, very dramatic and powerful pair.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Mary said:

I have the leaflet with Cope and Rojo in a stunning Mayerling pas de deux moment pinned by my desk- it is a fantastic image. Cope was my all-time favourite in the role.

When he retired so prematurely, Rojo bemoaned the fact that their partnership would not be able to grow to its full potential- I remember it well and they were indeed a great, very dramatic and powerful pair.

They were indeed.   He was not only a great dancer, but a wonderful partner, and was the first choice for Bussell, Guillem and all the taller ladies.  But prior to Rojo, I never considered him to be that good an actor.  Just goes to show how some partnerships just bring out the best in each other. 

• Like 5

I was totally bowled over by the Cope/Rojo Mayerling.  If I remember correctly, I had booked to see Cojocaru/Kobborg (also amazing in this ballet) and one of them was injured, so at the last minute they had to change the whole cast, so it was Cope/Rojo.  I was disappointed before it started, but by the end I was panting almost as hard as Jonny Cope was, I was that excited!  I saw him a few days later and asked if that had been his last Mayerling and he said yes, I am too old to do it again.  More's the pity...

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Sim said:

I was totally bowled over by the Cope/Rojo Mayerling.  If I remember correctly, I had booked to see Cojocaru/Kobborg (also amazing in this ballet) and one of them was injured, so at the last minute they had to change the whole cast, so it was Cope/Rojo.  I was disappointed before it started, but by the end I was panting almost as hard as Jonny Cope was, I was that excited!  I saw him a few days later and asked if that had been his last Mayerling and he said yes, I am too old to do it again.  More's the pity...

Johan Kobborg had a poorly wrist. The front of curtain announcement of the change was the most complex ever as all six of Rudolf’s partners were switched to those who had been performing with Jonny.

Edited by capybara

Today is thirty years to the day since Kenneth MacMillan sadly passed away during the second interval of Mayerling - at the first performance of a major revival, marking Irek Mukhamedov's debut in the role.

Tonight's Rudolf, Matthew Ball, was not even born then.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

A friend of mine has found the following link which I thought might be of interest, especially to those who haven't been posting for two decades like some of us here!!  This is the Mayerling thread from Oct/Nov 2002, so exactly 20 years ago (and most probably programmed to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Sir Kenneth's passing).  It is fascinating to read what people posted and thought and how the ballet was perceived.   I was amazed to find a post from me in there;  I thought I had started posting a year or so later!  I look at so many of these names, people who used to post so regularly, and wonder what became of them.  Anyway, enjoy.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030304052108/http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/3132.html#1

Oh and yes, I was mistaken above.  My chat with Jonny Cope about his final Mayerling was in April 2004, so a couple of years later.  I know this for sure because I found an email that I wrote to a friend about the chat!!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

...and here's another Mayerling ballet.co.uk thread from 2002: 

http://web.archive.org/web/20030109040009/http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/3169.html

and one from the 2004 run:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040604020745/http://www.ballet.co.uk/dcforum/happening/4217.html

and after a great deal of messing around with the Wayback Machine, I've found the 2007 thread:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070705163355/http://www.ballet.co.uk/dcforum/happening/6219.html

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

53 minutes ago, Sim said:

This is the Mayerling thread from Oct/Nov 2002, so exactly 20 years ago

What I found most remarkable about that thread (much thanks for the link btw) was the fact that Marianela Nuñez was dancing Mitzi Caspar 20 years ago...and is still doing it!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

What I found most remarkable about that thread (much thanks for the link btw) was the fact that Marianela Nuñez was dancing Mitzi Caspar 20 years ago...and is still doing it!!

She did dance Larisch one season and, maybe, took one season off.

• Like 2