Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, capybara said:

Interesting that the enthusiastic comments on Muntagirov's Rudolf on here now number over 40 (excluding the interjections about flowers, Russian dancers etc.).

That in itself is a massive accolade and great to see.

It seems to have stopped anyone commenting on yesterday’s matinee…I am curious to know how it was!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

Interesting that the enthusiastic comments on Muntagirov's Rudolf on here now number over 40 (excluding the interjections about flowers, Russian dancers etc.).

That in itself is a massive accolade and great to see.

Actually  looking back on the autumn casting thread it’s interesting to see that some people were initially a bit lukewarm about Muntagirov’s debut as Rudolph and were more interested in seeing what Sambe could do with the role. Of course the latter may surprise us but I think it will be difficult for him to come anywhere near the magnificence of Vadim’s performance.

Edited by Nina99
Spelling mistake
  • Like 4

I went to the matinee yesterday and loved it. A very emotional performance. Melissa danced beautifully and I thought Hirano's portrayal of Rudolph was excellent. He looked absolutely shattered by the 3rd act. I love the final pas de deux, especially that lift where Mary jumps and is swung around almost horizontal to the ground..must take so much strength and trust

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

It seems to have stopped anyone commenting on yesterday’s matinee…I am curious to know how it was!  

I agree, especially as both Hamilton and Choe were new to the cast this season (although both had danced their roles before). 
But it was Hirano’s fourth Rudolf and he had the cinema relay so maybe some attendees felt that his performance had been pretty fully covered already.

(Glad to see that a comment has popped up now!)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sim said:

Would love to hear more from anyone who attended the Saturday matinee. Having seen the rehearsal on World Ballet Day.,I’d like to know how Melissa’s portrayal of Mary Vetsera came across. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Very unfortunately had to miss Vadim's Rudolf and Melissa's Mary Vetsera the following day because of Covid. Just a quick warning to all - it's definitely very much still in evidence.

It probably always will be.  So sorry you had to miss two performances.  I hope you're feeling better now.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Very unfortunately had to miss Vadim's Rudolf and Melissa's Mary Vetsera the following day because of Covid. Just a quick warning to all - it's definitely very much still in evidence.

Can you at least re-schedule seeing the latter for the second performance of that cast on 21st?

I'm busy praying I don't catch anything at the Diamond Celebration on Wednesday, given I have Mayerlings booked on 21st & 23rd and I'd be extremely upset if I had to miss the latter given it's probably my only chance to see Morera as Mary Vetsera. I had my latest covid booster jab 2 weeks ago, flu jab 10 days before that, & am still FFP2 masking so have everything crossed. It's so stressful, always wondering during & after going anywhere busy if you've caught anything.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Can you at least re-schedule seeing the latter for the second performance of that cast on 21st?

I'm busy praying I don't catch anything at the Diamond Celebration on Wednesday, given I have Mayerlings booked on 21st & 23rd and I'd be extremely upset if I had to miss the latter given it's probably my only chance to see Morera as Mary Vetsera. I had my latest covid booster jab 2 weeks ago, flu jab 10 days before that, & am still FFP2 masking so have everything crossed. It's so stressful, always wondering during & after going anywhere busy if you've caught anything.

Fingers crossed that you and everyone else stays well and sees their performances Dawnstar.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes I have thankfully, fingers crossed for then. I'm glad to hear you're FFP2 masked, you should be protected enough. I feel as if most people are acting like Covid has conveniently gone and are not taking precautions like they should, hence why I caught it (after having successfully avoided it for the last 2 years). Apparently in the UK there is a downward trend of cases at the moment, so not trying to scare monger - but I do want people to remain aware.

• Like 4

Some alternative perspectives:

I was enthralled by Yasmine’s performance on Friday evening … a great Mary Vetsera.  Intense and nuanced.  Totally surrendering herself in love to Rudolf.  A few times I didn’t notice Vadim 🙈 because she drew my attention away. 

A friend from Germany came to see two Mayerling shows … Vadim on Friday and Ryo on Saturday.  Here are some of her comments:  

Ryo is so good. 
Very male. Very sexy.  Very insane. This is like made for him! 
The officers. Specially looking at Reece; just great!
Actually everybody is good! But Ryo! Wow! 
Vadim was too nice…
I almost cried with the music and Ryo’s pain… he had a braintumor I think…
Yesterday was a „pink“ Version of Mayerling. Today was strong, oh la la!

But Vadim was a Baby-Rudolf compared to Rio! So strong!
Melissa Hamilton was unbelievable too

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

Some alternative perspectives:

I was enthralled by Yasmine’s performance on Friday evening … a great Mary Vetsera.  Intense and nuanced.  Totally surrendering herself in love to Rudolf.  A few times I didn’t notice Vadim 🙈 because she drew my attention away. 

A friend from Germany came to see two Mayerling shows … Vadim on Friday and Ryo on Saturday.  Here are some of her comments:  

Ryo is so good. 
Very male. Very sexy.  Very insane. This is like made for him! 
The officers. Specially looking at Reece; just great!
Actually everybody is good! But Ryo! Wow! 
Vadim was too nice…
I almost cried with the music and Ryo’s pain… he had a braintumor I think…
Yesterday was a „pink“ Version of Mayerling. Today was strong, oh la la!

But Vadim was a Baby-Rudolf compared to Rio! So strong!
Melissa Hamilton was unbelievable too

I find it odd to have someone else's thoughts quoted at length.

All views valid - but at second hand????

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

I find it odd to have someone else's thoughts quoted at length.

All views valid - but at second hand????

Yes - I think a brief reference to how someone else has reacted is fine, but in general it's 'hearsay' and so isn't really in the spirit of a discussion forum where the aim is for people to post their own opinions.

• Like 5

I was lucky to be last Friday at ROH to see my first " Mayerling" (I saw this ballet before but on DVD), and I was so glad to see Vadim Muntagirov as prince Rudolf and all his beautiful female colleagues - Yasmine Naghdi as Mary Vetsera was superb, of course, and Fumi Kaneko also impressed me with her interpretation of countess Marie Larisch, and Itziar Mendizabal was very convincing in her role as empress Elisabeth, and Isabella Gasparini showed very sensitive princess Stephanie, and Claire Calvert was brilliant as Mitzi Gaspar. I also liked David Yudes as Bratfisch,  Bennet Gartside as Colonel "Bay" Middleton and Thomas Whitehead as emperor Franz Joseph.

From the first moment, when the cemetery scene was revealed and until the last cemetery scene I had an impression that I witness the real story, all dancers were acting so well, it was almost like hearing their dialogues and conversations!

And of course Vadim and Yasmine were the main reason of my mood. How lucky the ROH is to have such a brilliant constellation of artists!

I came out of the Royal Opera House wishing to come back - for Mayerling or for another performance.

• Like 18

I reject the comments rejecting my friend’s views.  All impressions are valid whether they concur with yours or not.  

My friend was determined to see Vadim having heard much of him and having not seen him dance live before.  She is familiar with Mayerling.  So we went together.  I have seen Ryo previously, so didn’t join her at the Saturday matinee as I was at ENB.  

The comments I posted are not hearsay … they are copy and paste from a conversation we had afterwards.  

I agree with her.

It doesn’t mean we didn’t appreciate Vadim’s strong performance … we did … and talked about aspects of it at length afterwards.  Obviously she had a deeper emotional impact from Ryo and Melissa.  As I did from Ryo and Natalia Osipova.  .  

Vadim’s superior technique does bring a welcome different dimension to the role … the juxtaposition of his beautiful lines in arabesque and developés, multiple controlled pirouettes and juicy jumps .. are super to enjoy compared to the obvious turmoil of the character.  Beauty and ugliness in one.  And it was actually good to see Vadim losing balance one or twice as he let the portrayal take precedence over perfect technique.  

For my own personal preference … I would love to combine Vadim’s technique with the more insane portrayals of Matthew Ball or Ryo Hirano.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I reject the comments rejecting my friend’s views.  All impressions are valid whether they concur with yours or not.  

Quite. A liked the unconventional interpretation, B didn't. It's all subjective, not a personal attack on the poster or the dancer (I hope).  Who cares? Move on.

Edited by oncnp

“For my own personal preference … I would love to combine Vadim’s technique with the more insane portrayals of Matthew Ball or Ryo Hirano.”

Largely a matter of the personal preference, of course - but Rudolf wasn’t insane. Deeply troubled, yes, and with some odd fixations, but not insane. Which is why I myself prefer a less “unhinged” interpretation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

The comments I posted are not hearsay … they are copy and paste from a conversation we had afterwards.  

The issue wasn't whether or not anyone agreed with your friend's views or not - of course they were valid and indeed interesting; the problem was that they weren't posted by her. And 'hearsay' simply means not direct evidence.

• Like 1

After carefully reading all the posts, it is clear what the majority opinion is.  And yes, every opinion is valuable, but the fact that it is the only one probably indicates something.  At Mayerling is story important. And the story is about a person whose despair and inner unhappiness lead to a tragic end.  And in my opinion, the interpretation of Vadim in London (and Hugo Marchand in Paris) corresponded best.

• Like 1

There seems to be a misunderstanding here.   Please re-read what I said.  

My friend and I throughly enjoyed and were impressed by Vadim’s interpretation.  

I also enjoyed Matthew Ball and Ryo Hirano’s interpretations in this run.  And my friend clearly felt more from Ryo’.  Others here mention their companions’ views, so the hearsay reprimand on us is unfair and inappropriate.  

I haven’t seen Steven McRae this time around.  I have before his injury, and I also have his DVD and Ed Watson’s and have seen many other casts in the past including David Wall and Irek Mukhamedov.  

Each dancer’s portrayal has much to admire and are actually quite different.  It is truly fascinating.  I reflect on what a brilliant role MacMillan created for the male dancer.  

I don’t say one is better than another, I only say which I preferred.  

Personally I am now intrigued to see what Vadim could do in another run hopefully in not too many year’s time.  

• Like 3

I think FionaE it may be okay to briefly mention what a friend thought who’s not on the Forum without mentioning their names of course….I’ve definitely done this myself…I think it was displaying as a live verbatim conversation which did seem a bit in excess somehow. I think some of my friends would kill me if I put what they had actually said to me in private as a sort of “live” conversation!! I would definitely have to ask their permission anyway! 
Nevertheless it’s interesting what your friend thought as fascinating how people see and feel things so differently. 

I hadn’t posted on last Friday’s performance since pretty much everything that could be said had already been recorded, so very eloquently, by so many others, but since the performance has been restored centre stage, as it were, I felt duty bound to add my impressions and those can be summed up in two simple words: “blown away”.

Again like others, I hadn’t initially booked for Vadim as I wasn’t sure what he would make of the role but encouraged by the reports of his debut, I quickly grabbed a ticket and am I glad I did!

It was remarkable; haunting, shattering and utterly convincing. A fully realised performance that has already become etched on my memory. 

It was as though Vadim had stepped into Rudolf’s skin and shared every lost and despairing avenue that Rudolf’s tortured mind must have led him down. I was in pieces. 

And bravo to each and every other member of this wonderful cast. What a performance by all of them and what  an evening for those of us lucky enough to be in the audience. Just wonderful! 

• Like 9