Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

Yes same here it was very physical - she audibly bashed onto the floor at one point as he threw/put her down on the ground. 

Naghdi looked like she had a pretty hard landing at one point in the final pdd as well. I wasn't sure if it was deliberate or if Ball accidentally let go of her slightly too early!

On the bouquets for men front, Ball got one tonight. (I'll post a photo once I've got them off my camera if no one else does so in the meantime.)

I'm not very good at recognising people at a distance but I think the King & Queen were in the Royal box tonight. If so then that's an interesting choice of ballet for them!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 7

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic performances all round this evening, there was no telling that Yasmine & Anna Rose were put on with short notice…I actually quite liked it when they both hit the floor with a bit of a bump - added to the drama/tension whether it was intended or not!

It definitely was the King and Queen tonight - from what I could see it looked like they really enjoyed it! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I feel rather shaky after the pdd at the end of Act I. It was brutal! Ball's Rudolf looked like he was really enjoying throwing O'Sullivan's Stephanie around.

Glad it wasn’t just me! I think I gasped at one point!!

• Like 1

A wonderful performance from all, Ball and Naghdi worked beautifully together and the Act I pdd with O'Sullivan was very well done, and so very difficult to watch! Found the whole evening very moving, Ball really was astonishing - the Act II pdd with Mary has to be one of the best I've seen, and his Act III had me in tears. Fabulous all round. 

And yep, Charles and Camilla were there, though they can't have had much of a view? Don't think they were too keen on being noticed, they snuck in and out of the box very quickly at each interval! We were wondering where they went? Were they in the Paul Hamlyn Hall or do they have their own area? Was in stalls so didn't mingle with the elite today!

• Like 2

Ah, answered my own question:

"If you look at the second box from the stage on the second level, you have spotted the Royal Box. Apparently Prince Charles attends the ROH quite often, and I can see why; the Royal Box has a sitting room, a dining room, a kitchen (with a butler), and a private staircase.Royal Opera House Tour | An Historian About Town

Maybe they were rushing off to have their dinner!

• Like 2

Not to mention its own toilet :)  I believe it's the Royal Retiring Room, or some such.  And yes, the view is not good - I got moved to a box immediately above it some years ago, and had a very limited view of the stage.  (Plus I have been inside the Royal Box on a tour many moons ago).

• Like 1

Ball, Naghdi and O'Sullivan were tremendous, and to think it was a rejigged cast at quite short notice..very professional indeed to cope with that and produce stellar performances. I take my hat off to them, and to the whole cast who were just superb.

I've been noticing how good the orchestra seem lately too- especially the brass so much improved, so it seems to me, not an expert.

It's good news  that the King and Queen are continuing to come 'privately' to performances, supporting the Royal Ballet.

Edited by Mary
  • Like 12

16 minutes ago, alison said:

Not to mention its own toilet :)  I believe it's the Royal Retiring Room, or some such.  And yes, the view is not good - I got moved to a box immediately above it some years ago, and had a very limited view of the stage.  (Plus I have been inside the Royal Box on a tour many moons ago).

My parents wanted to see Winter's Tale some years ago, but it was sold out (Gartside, Nuñez). Picture my mother, an elderly Australian with two sticks, begging the box office in person. They sold her the Royal Box but reminded her that Her Majesty's seat would remain roped off and that yes they could use the retiring room but no other facilities would be available. I do have the curtain call shots she took, and yes, restricted view!!

• Like 9

Just very quicky - what a wonderful performance by Matthew Ball last night.  I was absolutely drawn in and wrung out by the end!  Such beautiful dancing all the way through and he completely 'became' Rudolph to my eyes.  Those last scenes in particular seemed so raw and real and he and Yasmine worked so well together, that you would never have guessed the short notice. 

Likewise the last minute substitution with Anna Rose O'Sullivan worked amazingly well - the pas de deux between them was utterly chllling and yes, I also worried for Anna Rose at one point as she got thrown across the floor (likewise Yasmine later on)! 

Another performance I wish had been filmed as woulld love to see it again.  I think it has been an amazing run of Mayerling by the Royal Ballet, this year is the first time I have really 'got' it and I have loved every minute.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, ellyb said:

A wonderful performance from all, Ball and Naghdi worked beautifully together and the Act I pdd with O'Sullivan was very well done, and so very difficult to watch! Found the whole evening very moving, Ball really was astonishing - the Act II pdd with Mary has to be one of the best I've seen, and his Act III had me in tears. Fabulous all round. 

And yep, Charles and Camilla were there, though they can't have had much of a view? Don't think they were too keen on being noticed, they snuck in and out of the box very quickly at each interval! We were wondering where they went? Were they in the Paul Hamlyn Hall or do they have their own area? Was in stalls so didn't mingle with the elite today!

7 hours ago, ellyb said:

Ah, answered my own question:

"If you look at the second box from the stage on the second level, you have spotted the Royal Box. Apparently Prince Charles attends the ROH quite often, and I can see why; the Royal Box has a sitting room, a dining room, a kitchen (with a butler), and a private staircase.Royal Opera House Tour | An Historian About Town

Maybe they were rushing off to have their dinner!

I was wondering just last Saturday exactly where the Royal Box was and thought it must be there. I was in a box on the opposite side, though much nearer the centre. Our view was a little restricted (watching far stage left meant I had to sit forward a bit) but from the Royal Box the view must be pretty restricted!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mary said:

Ball, Naghdi and O'Sullivan were tremendous, and to think it was a rejigged cast at quite short notice..very professional indeed to cope with that and produce stellar performances. I take my hat off to them, and to the whole cast who were just superb.

I've been noticing how good the orchestra seem lately too- especially the brass so much improved, so it seems to me, not an expert.

It's good news  that the King and Queen are continuing to come 'privately' to performances, supporting the Royal Ballet.

I would agree about the brass section and the orchestra generally. They just get better and better!

I gather the King and Queen Consort enjoy ballet, unlike our late Queen. 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

Brass section last night so crucial in building the tension- (and the horn in the Tchaikovsky in Diamonds I thought was excellent in both performances  I saw, unlike the last outing when the wavering and cracking did rather spoil the moment.)

So hats off as well to the band.

• Like 2

Some thoughts on last night's performance:

1. Matthew Ball was a fabulous Rudolf - brutal, but at the same time he could be very tender with the women. What a spectacular dancer.

2. I hope Anna Rose didn’t hit her head as she landed to the floor with an audible clunk in one part of the pdd. It did add to the realism of Matthew Ball’s character though

3. Mayara Magri is a beautiful dancer - every part of the music is expressed perfectly with little flourishes - her timing and acting were impeccable. I’ve not fully appreciated her as much as I did last night.

3. Nagdhi and Ball dance so beautifully together. The trust they have in each other really shines out into the audience. 
4. Some of the Swan dives in the PDD’s - I was on the edge of my seat thinking the ladies were hurtling towards the ground at severe head injury generating speed. So exciting.

5. There really is not much happiness in Mayerling as a story. It really puts one’s emotions into a dark place. Not sure if I like such darkness but a real testament to the RB dancers to be able to evoke that and transport the audience to that place.

• Like 13

Last night's performance was wonderful. The first time I saw it, I was relatively new to the ROH, didn't know the story well and found it rather confusing trying to work out which woman was which. This was my 3rd viewing (discounting swotting up by watching DVD) and with much more familiarity with both the story and the dancers, so got to simply enjoy it. 

Matthew Ball was on fire - perfect for such a dramatic role. Anna Rose O Sullivan was a demure princess Stephanie and as others have suggested, appeared to be thrown about like a rag doll by Ball! Magri was wonderful to watch as Marie Larisch, such a beautiful dancer, as was Kaneko as Mitzi Caspar. Although sad not to see Morera in the role, love the partnership of Naghdi/Ball and despite being a last minute cast change, you would never have known, they have such a perfect fit.  Overall a dream team of a cast.

Was a bit disappointed with one role- a great opportunity for the dancer in question but didn't feel they had the dramatic maturity needed for the role. 

This was also my first performance in a long time going solo as my ballet buddy emigrated and with ticket prices rising it's so hard to find someone willing to join me.  Was lovely to chat to a couple of people in the ground floor cafe before the performance (hello if you are on here) but are there ever any forum meet ups in the main bar area? I actually don't mind going alone but always lovely to have someone to share thoughts (and a drink) with during one of the intervals.

• Like 8

Some people on here will remember that some years back now the Forum members got as far as having a little badge you could wear to show you were a Forum member! I’ve still got mine somewhere but it didn’t really take off ( I kept forgetting to take mine along etc) And then you didn’t really want to stare at people trying to see if they had this badge lol!! 
I think there is sometimes a sort of meeting area suggested but unless you happen to recognise at least one person that can be difficult too! If I’ve been introduced to someone but then don’t see again for ages I’m likely to think do I know that person 🤔but not sure enough to approach etc. 

You could mention you are going to a performance on a particular day and ask for people to message you perhaps if they happen to be going on same day and you can arrange to meet up that way. 
Because so many of my friends are ballet friends anyway I’m lucky in that there is usually at least one going on the same day even if we are not sitting in the same area so does incur some mad dashes up to or down to different areas in the intervals. 
I’m an inveterate chatter box so am sure on occasions have been possibly chatting to Forum members in the cafe without realising it!!! 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Blossom said:

This was also my first performance in a long time going solo as my ballet buddy emigrated and with ticket prices rising it's so hard to find someone willing to join me.  Was lovely to chat to a couple of people in the ground floor cafe before the performance (hello if you are on here) but are there ever any forum meet ups in the main bar area? I actually don't mind going alone but always lovely to have someone to share thoughts (and a drink) with during one of the intervals.

there are several 'gangs' that clump together before the show, and at interval times. I'm sure any of them would welcome a newbie to the group. Some meet in the Floral Hall, some in the amphi bar veranda area, etc.

(It used to be a lot easier to meet new people when selling on paper tickets!!)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Some people on here will remember that some years back now the Forum members got as far as having a little badge you could wear to show you were a Forum member! I’ve still got mine somewhere but it didn’t really take off ( I kept forgetting to take mine along etc) And then you didn’t really want to stare at people trying to see if they had this badge lol!! 

Surely the answer would be to wear a deeley bopper fitted with the little ballet shoes from the ROH shop...then there will be no need to stare at someone's chest looking for the Balletcofum badge

• Like 3

A hugely impressive Rudolf last night from Matthew Ball and astonishingly good given the late cast changes and very limited opportunities for rehearsal. I thought Ball dominated the stage and whilst Yasmine Naghdi’s Mary was more than eager to be a party to the suicide pack when Laura Morera dances Mary to me she seems at times the driving force. Both are valid and I think last night worked incredibly well, making Rudolf centre stage. There’s a special frisson when Naghdi and Ball dance together, with memories still fresh of their Romeo & Juliet debut.

I noticed last night at the wedding that Franz Josef and Rudolf did exchange a handshake albeit it incredibly frosty on Franz Josef’s part but I thought in the other performances I’ve seen this run Franz Josef declined Rudolf’s proffered hand and publicly snubbed him. Has there always been an element of choice - and who makes the choice? I’m now struggling to remember whether the public snubbing is relatively new.

Very good to see dancers at the stage door with none appearing any the worse for any knocks/bumps and Matthew Ball surprised and delighted with his bouquet.

A fabulous evening and yet more excitement tonight with the Sambé cast’s first performance.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Mary said:

I noticed the brass section improvement too, a few weeks ago. Phew!

I wonder if C:&C pay for their box?

Have the curtains been changed yet to CR?

10 hours ago, Sophoife said:

My parents wanted to see Winter's Tale some years ago, but it was sold out (Gartside, Nuñez). Picture my mother, an elderly Australian with two sticks, begging the box office in person. They sold her the Royal Box but reminded her that Her Majesty's seat would remain roped off and that yes they could use the retiring room but no other facilities would be available. I do have the curtain call shots she took, and yes, restricted view!!

I found the photos Mum took. Performance number 4 ever and the first by the cast of Gartside, Núñez, Stix-Brunell, Muntagirov and Hristov. Have uploaded to Flickr at https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAgyz4

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Surely the answer would be to wear a deeley bopper fitted with the little ballet shoes from the ROH shop...then there will be no need to stare at someone's chest looking for the Balletcofum badge

🤣 will be wearing mine for Nutcracker on New Years Eve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

there are several 'gangs' that clump together before the show, and at interval times. I'm sure any of them would welcome a newbie to the group. Some meet in the Floral Hall, some in the amphi bar veranda area, etc.

Indeed! I remember a very kind group including @Bluebird, @bangorballetboy, @Pulcinellaand others on the amphitheatre terrace, during the Mayerling run in 2017 (oh look I dragged myself back on-topic 🤣).

After attending performances mostly alone, unless I could persuade my London based friend to come too, it was so nice when Sim arranged to meet up with me. Not only was it lovely to meet a forum member - but it was the opportunity to discuss the performance with someone who also loved ballet that made it so special. I'm quite shy really and having someone extend the hand of friendship whilst away from home meant the world. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I've invited non-ballet fan friends to more modern works this year such as Light of Passage, which was received very well by them. I was thinking of inviting one to Mayerling, but was wondering if it's the right one to bring ballet newbies to? Given its complexity.

I'd only been watching ballet (and only 3 or 4 performances) when I went to see Mayerling at Covent Garden.  It was the first ballet performance I saw there.  I was in my late 20s at the time.

I think sometimes people on the forum go into the intricacies of the performance because they have seen the ballet enough times to get more out of the ballet as a whole.  I just concentrated on the story and enjoyed it greatly as a newbie ballet watcher.

I knew nothing about the sorry tale of Mayerling before hand.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I've invited non-ballet fan friends to more modern works this year such as Light of Passage, which was received very well by them. I was thinking of inviting one to Mayerling, but was wondering if it's the right one to bring ballet newbies to? Given its complexity.

A few years ago after a boozy night out with a young male colleague he agreed to come to the ballet with me as long as it wasn’t tutus and tiaras and tights.  He had never been to any kind of dance performance before.  I decided Mayerling was a good one to start him on and he loved it.  I remember him saying that he never knew ballet could be like that.  So as a first ballet it really worked in this case!

• Like 6