Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Lucky you, @Dawnstar  I clicked on one, and when I went to put it in the basket a red bar popped up saying 'there is a problem with processing your ticket'.  It didn't tell me what the problem was, so I went out and back in again, by which time it was gone.  I am so annoyed by this.  I will resist the temptation to rant about the ROH's lousy website....

It can happen, especially with Rush. Fwiw, I assume it means someone has it in their basket (and they have 30-minutes to complete).

I was also lucky today but it is pretty much is luck. Hope you can pick up a return during next week.

Edited by postie
  • Like 2

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, postie said:

It can happen, especially with Rush. Fwiw, I assume it means someone has it in their basket (and they have 30-minutes to complete).

I was also lucky today but it is pretty much is luck. Hope you can pick up a return during next week.

Thanks Postie. An incredibly kind person saw my rant above and has sorted me out with a ticket.  

Surely if a ticket is languishing in a basket they shouldn’t be showing it as available, even if it hasn’t been paid for yet. 😡

• Like 3

I was thinking that …I just assumed that once you’ve started negotiating any ticket with them it’s no longer showing as available on the website even if not quite paid for. It would only re cycle again if somebody got timed out before paying for it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks Postie. An incredibly kind person saw my rant above and has sorted me out with a ticket.  

Surely if a ticket is languishing in a basket they shouldn’t be showing it as available, even if it hasn’t been paid for yet. 😡

It's basically the steps of a legal contract - offer, acceptance, invitation to treat, consideration, contract (IIRC).

30-minutes is pretty average, in my experience. I've seem other venues use 45 and another 15-minutes. It seems to be built-in with every software package, with for 'basket time' being a variable decided by the software buyer.

Edited by postie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, postie said:

It's basically the steps of a legal contract - offer, acceptance, invitation to treat, consideration, contract (IIRC).

30-minutes is pretty average, in my experience. I've seem other venues use 45 and another 15-minutes. It seems to be built-in with every software package, with for 'basket time' being a variable decided by the software buyer.

I get that...but my beef is that they are still showing it as available so that you think it is, you click on it, then they tell you there's "a problem" and then you lose it, when you never really had it to begin with !!  As soon as it's in a basket it should be shown as taken, then if it isn't paid for at the end of the allotted time, show it as available again.  

• Like 5

I presume it is also the reason why the seat map often shows price bands at the top that I can then not find any corresponding seats for on the map. I find this more annoying since the new seat map as it's harder to see if seats are avaialble when the circles for each seat are so much smaller than on the previous seat plan. It also doesn't help that the seats I usually buy, far side stalls circle benches, are often shown in a lilac colour that is sometimes quite difficult to distinguish from the grey of the unavailable seats without zooming in.

• Like 2

Wow well that was sensational!!!  And Vadim was given flowers onstage.   So well deserved.  Is that a one-off, I wonder??!!  Can we start giving flowers to the men for onstage presentation?  

Gosh, what a night.  I feel ripped open and wrung out.  Emotionally and physically.   

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Wow well that was sensational!!!  And Vadim was given flowers onstage.   So well deserved.  Is that a one-off, I wonder??!!  Can we start giving flowers to the men for onstage presentation?  

Gosh, what a night.  😀❤️

I sent flowers to Bonelli for one of his last performances, but they were left in his dressing room :(

46 minutes ago, Sim said:

Gosh, what a night.  😀❤️

Well - if the flowers were, indeed, intended for Vadim - it was a first insofar as a performance which was not a farewell was concerned.

But that was a performance which deserved a flower throw, if ever there was one. What a night!

NB

i) Vadim has been the recipient of many flowers over the years (he has sometimes come out of the Stage Door laden).

ii) Many of us have argued over the years for flowers to come on stage for the men - to no avail, even in this age of equality.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

hats off to Vadim and Yasmine, says I

Her hat nearly did come off at one point in Act II! Also the Habsburgs were evidently having difficulties getting the staff for their palace as one of the pictures that should have been hanging in Rudolf's room was propped up on the ground!

Is this Muntagirov's greatest achievement? Not a rhetorical question. I'm sure some people will have seen all his roles, which I haven't.

• Like 6

On 02/11/2022 at 15:04, The Sitter In said:

Simply for information, in the current Paris production, the dancers fire their own guns, the coffin is lowered by the attendants, the lights stay on until the scenes have finished and the hunting party takes place in a snowy forest.  I will check again tonight because of my defective eyesight.

Yes, what you report is accurate. I saw three performances in Paris, it would have been four but for the transit strike.  I saw Muntagirov tonight at Covent Garden and am seeing the Saturday show. 

On 03/11/2022 at 14:16, Silver Capricorn said:

Last Friday I saw Mayerling in Paris (Gilbert and Marchand), there were no accidents, no falling beard, no guns misfire 😃 and the  performance of the dancers was really grea and breathtaking.  On November 11, I will see Vadim Muntagirov in London. I am very much looking forward to the possibility of comparing both productions 😉

None of these things occurred at the three performances I attended in Paris. 

Vadim was beyond expectations tonight.  The third act was shattering.  He may find it difficult to be angry, but he can convey suffering and despair in spades.

A long-standing taboo of the Royal Ballet was broken this evening, capably witnessed by the curtain call photograph above.  Vadim was presented with bouquets of flowers.  Unlike the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi, the Royal Ballet has had a longstanding ban on flowers for men.  It was a joy to see flowers presented to Vadim.

Capybara has long campaigned about this in this forum and I am delighted to see her campaign succeed.

• Like 20

Just on the flowers I’d been in touch with Kevin O’Hare earlier in the week asking if presentations could be made to male dancers on stage. He was very supportive:

“There is no rule against any of the male principals receiving flowers on stage so please, do send them if you would like to acknowledge their performance in that way.”

I was delighted to see presentations to Vadim and hope that if people wish to send flowers for male dancers they do so.

You might recall that Francesca Hayward presented Will Bracewell with a bouquet after their second Swan Lake but I think Vadim’s presentations were probably the first presentations from audience members to a male dancer in recent times save for 25th anniversaries/retirements.

I didn’t want to say anything in advance as I wanted to see what happened on the night. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

this Muntagirov's greatest achievement? Not a rhetorical question. I'm sure some people will have seen all his roles, which I haven't.

It's certainly the greatest role I've seen him in though living a distance away I haven't seen anything like all his performances. But then there isn't really a role like Rudolf to compare it with, that is so all encompassing for the male dancer. I suppose the nearest is Spartacus but that's more physical than psychological. I've seen him in roles like Month in the Country and Symphonic Variations in which I thought he gave an exceptional interpretation and performance but difficult to compare them to Rudolf. It's 1.45am and I'm still on a high after his performance. It seems terrible we may have to wait several years for him to reprise it. And will he be filmed? He should be. I'm wanting a film already to capture such a really special perfect performance. It was lovely to see him receive flowers onstage which he said was a first. They were certainly deserved!

• Like 19

Not all forum members will have been there, but there was an earlier occasion before Francesca Hayward presenting William Bracewell with a bouquet this year, where a male dancer was presented with flowers at the end of a ballet at the Royal Ballet: 21 May 2016, after Christopher Wheeldon’s The Winter’s Tale, when Edward Watson (Leontes) was presented with a large bouquet during the group bows after Lauren Cuthbertson (Hermione), Sarah Lamb (Perdita) and Zenaida Yanowsky (Paulina) had all received similar bouquets. The original cast were dancing in that first revival but it wasn’t the opening performance, which was in April.

It happened to be Watson’s 40th birthday that day so perhaps that was the reason for the exception. I’m 99.9% certain it was presented by ROH staff who distributed the other bouquets as I didn’t think there was anything unusual about it at the time, assuming that it was only logical for the dancer in the most prominent role to get flowers. It wasn’t until there was discussion about men’s flowers in a newspaper article and here on this forum some time later that I realised that was exceptional for the Royal Ballet! It did occur to me that it felt a little strange to see the male leads who dance ballets where they have the main role rather than a ballerina not to get any flowers while their partner in a supporting role gets quite a few- I just assumed the men hadn’t received any but perhaps received bottles of wine/beer/bubbly backstage instead!

I understand that Steven McRae has also been quoted as saying that he is in favour of bouquets being presented onstage to the men. I agree with that view- the bouquets shouldn’t be hidden backstage if they have been sent to the male lead. It takes just 5 seconds to present one more, and it is a recognition of their hard work in partnering and presenting their partners well, as well as their artistry and virtuosity. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6