Mayerling, Royal Ballet Autumn 2022

On 18/10/2022 at 01:27, PeterS said:

every step in Mayerling is there for a reason else MacMillan wouldn’t have included it.

and @Sim said "I am with Peter on this one; if it ain't broke, don't break it down.  MacMillan knew what he was doing, and I think any cuts would diminish the whole"

...yet when I saw Manon in July 1974 Georgina Parkinson danced the named role of The Gaoler's Mistress, in a scene that by November that year had been deleted, which surprised me mightily when I next saw the ballet, in Australia in 1994!

Edited by Sophoife
Added quote from Sim (don't know how to format it when editing)

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not entirely sure that Aurora, Lise or Titania work as “pretty” either. Petipa’s choreography for Aurora shows her growing into a woman; Lise is headstrong; and Sibley has been very clear in interviews that Titania is a very sensual, wilful being, all borne out in the choreography.

I can’t buy into the notion of Vetsera as a young innocent either historically (she was apparently known as the “Turf Angel” and Rudolf was not her first lover despite her young age) or in MacMillan’s ballet. Yes, the choreography shows her being “groomed” by Larisch, but she turns up for a first private assignation with a coat thrown over her nightdress (which is, apparently, historically accurate) and pulls a gun on her new beau fairly early on in their encounter for a start…

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

and @Sim said "I am with Peter on this one; if it ain't broke, don't break it down.  MacMillan knew what he was doing, and I think any cuts would diminish the whole"

...yet when I saw Manon in July 1974 Georgina Parkinson danced the named role of The Gaoler's Mistress, in a scene that by November that year had been deleted, which surprised me mightily when I next saw the ballet, in Australia in 1994!

Well I assume it was MacMillan who deleted the scene (or agreed to it) which bears out my point that he knew what he was doing.  If he felt the need to tweak his ballets then, again, I am sure it was for good reason.  He probably realised that the Gaoler's Mistress was unnecessary for the plot, either to further it or contextualise what was going on.  

• Like 1

I was going to ask who she is, as her name is only very faintly familiar to me. I take it she must have retired some years ago, if she's now old enough to play Archduchess Sophie?

Looking forward to seeing tonight's triple lead debut for Muntagirov, Naghdi & Kaneko and Yudes as Bratfisch and also Samantha Price as Katherina Schratt (I think she might also be debuting?).

Edited by Dawnstar
Added 2nd paragraph.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Very much looking forward to Vadim’s debut as Rudolf tonight 

Am in a huge state of excited anticipation: the pictures of this cast on Flickr are so beautiful and, in addition to the announced principals, I am so pleased that Hannah Grennell is Louise, as well as looking forward to my artist’s debut as Katharina Schratt.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Countess Larisch glove watch: Kaneko was wearing them in Act II tonight. I also noticed that in Act I she was wearing gloves to start with but had removed them before her pdd with Prince Rudolf.

But only up to her elbows in Act 2!

Loving it so far!

• Like 3

I wouldn't say tonight's performance was perfect but I found it very emotional & was in bits in the final suicide scene. I found seeing Muntagirov, who usually comes over as so nice both on & off stage, playing such a messed-up character was very moving.

• Like 12

Exhilarating is the right word!  I would add sensational for the whole night. Incredible debuts all round.  Vadim…just wow.  I knew he had it in him, and it came pouring out tonight, without a break. All the emotions known to man just spilled out in a torrent of passion.  Another late-night glass of wine for me, so more tomorrow!  Sigh.  

• Like 14

I’d agree with Dawnstar that tonight wasn’t perfect (with so many debuts I guess it was always going to be work in progress) but it was very moving. I’ll be bold enough to state that Fumi Kaneko (even en debut, multi-faceted, glamorous, cynical, scheming, heart-broken), Isabella Gasparini (a Stephanie who fought back), Itziar Mendizabal, David Yudes and Claire Calvert (a MacMillan dancer with Ashtonian épaulement) were about as good as you’d hope to see with a dazzling quartet of Officers led by William Bracewell too. Yasmine Naghdi had an unfortunate stumble in Act 2 which, understandably, seemed to throw her and I didn’t think her Vetsera achieved lift off, although her brooding, obsessive intensity suggested a different take on the character that will reap richer rewards on another evening. Vadim Muntagirov was more Slavonic melancholy than monster which made for some memorably moving moments. His sheer physical agony became ever more palpable and there’s a thrill to seeing the sheer splendour of his physical execution of choreography created for a great dance actor who was also in his day no technical slouch. The whole of the last Act gripped me and tears were shed more than once. 

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 11

I thought Muntagirov tremendous - an astonishing debut. He dominated the stage, and certainly demanded my attention at all times. I thought it made for an extraordinarily effective Mayerling having such a commanding Rudolf. Much else to enjoy and very much looking forward to this cast’s second performance.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, ellyb said:

So excited for this cast, even more so now we have Yasmine Naghdi - booked for 11th so eagerly awaiting reports!

you won't be disappointed! Super debuts all round, and from experience, Yasmine Naghdi always improves again next time out. Can't wait!

• Like 6

Well, am I glad I had a ticket!

Tonight's cast were terrific and the dancing/acting of all the cast and particularly Vadim, Yasmin, Fumi and Itzi will linger long in my memory - they were all that good. 

Apart from the debutant(e)s mentioned above there were about twenty debuts including; David Donnelly, David Yudes, Teo Dubreil, Lukas BB, Nadia Mullova-Barley, Julia Roscoe and, with apologies to anyone I’ve omitted, others. 

They really were that good. 

Edited by RobR
Spelling
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Well, am I glad I had a ticket!

Tonight's cast were terrific and the dancing/acting of all the cast and particularly Vadim, Yasmin, Fumi and Itzi will linger long in my memory - they were all that good. 

Apart from the debutant(e)s mentioned above there were about twenty debuts including; David Donnelly, David Yudes, Teo Dubreil, Lukas BB, Nadia Mullova-Barley, Julia Roscoe and, with apologies to anyone I’ve omitted, others. 

They really were that good. 

And Samantha Price …

Wow, just wow. Anyone who thought Vadim was wrong for that role should eat their words. He found his inner Rudolf - and became him. A heart rending and astonishing performance. Wept at the end. He took us on that whole journey of mental and physical disintegration.

I’m too tired and emotional to write more now, but there were just so many good performances. More tomorrow when I’ve recovered a bit!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

you won't be disappointed! Super debuts all round, and from experience, Yasmine Naghdi always improves again next time out. Can't wait!

I didn't book the debut as I thought it best to allow everyone to 'settle' a bit - debuting a ballet like Mayerling must surely make the most experienced a little bit nervous! But you gamble on maybe missing out on some of the electricity of a first night, these early reviews are making me a bit sick I decided to be cautious... Hopefully they'll recreate it in a couple of weeks, I'm even more excited now - I need a new Rudolf after losing Soares (although I did see the cinema showing and was impressed with Hirano, definitely one to watch). Vadim's photos do look amazing, and I adore him as a dancer so fingers crossed for the 11th!

Edited by ellyb
misspelling
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

And Samantha Price …

i posted that some debutant(e)s had been mentioned earlier in this thread, and Samantha Price was one of them. Mentioned by Dawnstar earlier 😀

A revelatory performance from Muntagirov as a heartbreaking and heartbroken Rudolf living a life of initially quiet desperation that gradually erupts and takes over his whole being. He's lost, bewildered, agonised; the gun offers the only way out for him. There was a sort of wild beauty about much of his dancing, which brought out the brilliance of both the choreography and the music. And after her initial stumble I found Naghdi absolutely riveting. Very conscious of her power over Rudolf and taking a narcissistic pleasure in that as much as in him. Kaneko glittered through the performance as a stunningly beautiful, scheming but sorrowful Larisch, and Gasparini was just brilliant as Stephanie - a fully rounded character and thrillingly danced. So many moments tonight were like seeing the ballet for the first time. Wonderful.

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There was a sort of wild beauty about much of his dancing, 

This exactly.  The brothel scene was joy on the very edge of mania. 

Edited by oncnp

Totally agree with what everyone has said. Great performances all round but for me Vadim was an absolute revelation. I was on my own and there was a lady sitting beside me also on her own who agreed that he was brilliant. I think that the coaching Vadim had from Irek Mukhamedov must’ve really helped him find his ‘inner Rudolph’ as Balletfanp calls it. 

i’m so glad I’ve got a ticket for the 11th of November. Can’t wait to see it all again!

• Like 13