Apologies to all having issues with the stream.

OMG, Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball in Carousel. Steaming. 💐 💐 💐

Am loving the gala format which shows us pieces like this that I hadn't seen before. Also reminds me of the incredible talent of the RB, who don't all get the attention they deserve, like Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano (gorgeous in Diamonds) and Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli (so moving in Swan Lake). So grateful to be watching them all.

image.png

Edited by Candleque
  • Like 14

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all commiserations to those who weren't able to watch this evening. I hope that the ROH, Vimeo et al sort things out for next time and that you are all able to watch at some point.

I thought that was really quite impressive - although gala performances can inevitably be a bit disjointed, I thought overall it was excellent. I am so pleased for all involved that they have after such a long time (which I am sure must have been hellish at times) been able to perform on stage. Let us all hope that they can continue performing - in one way or another - until normality returns.

Special mentions I think to Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Yasmine Naghdi - but well done to everyone. 

I have had a pretty rotten week but thankfully that has made me feel much better!

• Like 13

Well thanks to my daughter we managed to cast it onto our tv. I am so sorry for those who had problems.  

What a wonderful evening.  I loved the programme and the dancers were all top notch.  You could see how hard they have been rehearsing, and it looks like they have never been away. Highlights for me were Magri/Ball in Carousel and O’Sullivan/Sambe in Fille.  What a fabulous partnership.  Yasmine Naghdi was cutely coquettish and delightful in Elite. 

I was so happy to hear the applause and cheers of a live audience, and hope it won’t be too long before we can join them.  

So many congratulations to all involved, and thanks so much for this step towards normality and humanity. ❤️

• Like 13

Really sorry to hear so many had problems. I've given up trying to get these streams on my smart TV - none of the options work for me. But I watched successfully on my laptop this evening. It really was a wonderful evening, so I very much  hope everyone will be able to view properly soon.

My personal standouts were Akane Takada, Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Isabella Gasparini (only glimpses of her on camera, but she appeared in about four of the pieces and looked to be dancing wonderfully in every one!) and a unique and uplifting Elite Syncopations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Justkeepsmiling said:

I have tried on one laptop using chrome. It plays for about 30 seconds and then refuses to load. Tried a second laptop but it won’t allow me to log in as it said that I’m already logged in on too many devices....even though I’ve signed out of the original laptop. Absolutely gutted. Have been looking forward to this all week. 

I used Firefox (on a Macbook) and it was ok. My slight problem is that using a dongle type plug thing, to connect 'thunderbolt' port to an HDMI cable into the telly, everytime we went wide angle, the picture went very dark. Seemed fine on closeups and not-too-far-out medium shots. Which was strange. Had no issues watching NYCB earlier this week (think that was via YouTube though). Sound was good though (on the telly's soundbar) - I'm not used to hearing the orchestra so clearly! 🙂

Loved Akane Takada as Odette, Laura Morera was heaven in 'Dream', Sarah Lamb just exquisite in Diamonds, Francesca Hayward a lovely Juliet and of course, Yasmine Naghdi sizzled in Elite. Oh - and nice to see a wee new piece from Cathy Marston too! Jolly good evening I reckon - but would loved to have actually been there even more!

• Like 6

I looked for a topic to cover this, but couldn't find one?  Please merge if I am mistaken.  We just sat transfixed for three hours watching all our old friends back on stage - what an emotional performance.  Just wonderful.  I can imagine how difficult it would have been to ensure space for all the 'stars' and a good mixed programme for the (perhaps not all ballet savvy) audience.  But they succeeded.  I loved them all - was especially pleased to see Laura Morera in excellent form, and Edward Watson.  Marianela was in peak form, as if she'd never been away from the stage.  Vadim was so elegant... and Francesca so beautiful... Thank you, RB.  More please!  We balletomanes have been starving.

• Like 6

A tear of joy here to see this live performance- wish I could have been at the House but audience was v appreciative. It would have been good to acknowledge the composers and the beautiful singer for Medusa.

The evening whizzed by.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I looked for a topic to cover this, but couldn't find one?  Please merge if I am mistaken. 

Thanks, maryrose...  I've merged some comments from the information thread into this one, so we now have a "proper" thread.

• Like 2

Absolutely wonderful evening. The company looked as if they'd never been away, and the choice of works emphasized how amazingly versatile the dancers are and the richness and variety of the art form. As far as I'm concerned every item was a highlight; but if I had to choose one above all it would be Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé in the Act I pas de deux from Fille for their sheer joy, ebullience and technical bravado. But every single item was thrilling and moving.

I'm so sorry for those who couldn't watch it and I really hope the ROH sorts out the technical issues before doing any more streaming.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Shade said:

It would have been good to acknowledge the composers and the beautiful singer for Medusa.

The evening whizzed by.

I think the singer for Medusa was part of one of the curtain calls 

• alison changed the title to The Royal Ballet back on stage, 9/10/20

No one has mentioned the Hofesh Schechter opening - what a super start to a great evening. 

And how nice to see the all Company in Elite.

The pas de deux were great, particularly Carousel, but I always think that without the rest of the company, particularly the Corps, and without the general narrative of a full ballet, it’s just two dancers in search of a role.

• Like 2

I'm pleased for those who managed to see the show.  I did not, despite having purchased a ticket some time ago.  Having failed to get a TV connection from my desktop at home - buying a Chromecast device was of no use - we went to my wife's son's house where there's an Apple TV thing and tried there. No good either, just a continual buffering icon.  We gave up around 8pm, put on a DVD of West Side Story and reminded ourselves what some real Robbins dancing looked like.  I imagine the ROH will put up a robust defence of its technical decisions regarding streaming, but they have lost me as regards further purchases until a different system is introduced.  And from looking about on Twitter and their own Comments stream, I doubt I'll be alone in that.  

• Like 1

Might I add my voice in extending sympathies to those unable to watch this evening’s performance due to technical glitches. I would say in fairness to the ROH though that their help pages were excellent I thought – certainly following some early tribulations I was able to enjoy the evening after consulting them.

As for the performances themselves, I thought they made a magnificent representation of what makes the Royal Ballet together with the Royal Opera House and everyone involved with them the wonderful institutions that they are. I just pray that a commemorative DVD/Blu-Ray will result from the evening. To my mind the selection of works was spot on, with so many highlights it seems almost amiss to highlight individual performances. Here’s hoping this really is the first step towards socially-distanced live performances once more.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Highlights for me were Magri/Ball in Carousel and O’Sullivan/Sambe in Fille.  What a fabulous partnership.  Yasmine Naghdi was cutely coquettish and delightful in Elite. 

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Loved Akane Takada as Odette, Laura Morera was heaven in 'Dream', Sarah Lamb just exquisite in Diamonds, Francesca Hayward a lovely Juliet and of course, Yasmine Naghdi sizzled in Elite.

2 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I loved them all - was especially pleased to see Laura Morera in excellent form, and Edward Watson.  Marianela was in peak form, as if she'd never been away from the stage.  Vadim was so elegant... and Francesca so beautiful... Thank you, RB.  More please!  We balletomanes have been starving.

Yes, yes and yes again! After an unthinkable, unwanted seven month drought, a veritable feast. More indeed, and soon, please! We miss you, RB!

• Like 4

Loved it. No access problems on my computer.

I think it demonstrates, as did the Fonteyn celebration in 2019, that there is scope for the RB to have a Gala format as a regular part of its schedule - perhaps biennially and showcasing some of the more junior dancers alongside Principals.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, RobR said:

No one has mentioned the Hofesh Schechter opening - what a super start to a great evening. 

I found it an odd choice for an opener, especially coming after the Sleeping Beauty music. I thought they'd start with something joyful after that!

• Like 4

Just now, nycitybird said:

I found it an odd choice for an opener, especially coming after the Sleeping Beauty music. I thought they'd start with something joyful after that!

I thought it was a terrific choice and combination; Sleeping Beauty as the joyful, wistful, transcendent opener, also of course reminiscent of the ROH reopening after WW2, followed by Untouchable - it was only as the show started that I realised the poignancy of that title and the theme in current circumstances. And it conveyed so powerfully the horrors of alienation, anxiety and darkness which the rest of the evening then served to alleviate. Brilliant.

• Like 9

What can I say.

It was such an emotional evening to actually watch live ballet, albeit on my laptop, and hear a LIVE audience really loving it.  I was quite overcome.

I thought the format of the evening worked really well as an introduction back to live ballet and it was worth every penny of the £16 for a full 3 hour performance.

I loved the whole evening from the overture (looking back to the first performance of the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden) to the joyous, glorious, wonderful and outstanding ending performance of Elite Syncopations (quite amazing for me to describe Elite like that as it is not a favourite of mine).  There was a great mix of the familiar and the not so familiar and the evening just worked beautifully.  We were treated to fabulous, heartfelt, emotional performances throughout.  But what on earth were some of the presenters wearing?

The opening Hofesh Shechter snippet from Untouchable really set me up for the evening with its drama and full stage of dancers.

My personal highlights of the evening were the utterly sublime performance of the reconciliation duet from The Dream danced by Laura Morera and Alex Campbell and the Fanny Elsler pdd from Fille as so joyously danced by Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé.  I was absolutely carried away by the audience clapping along!  It was so great to hear a live audience enjoying themselves so much.

Anyway and to sum up, in case you hadn't realised, I LOVED THE WHOLE evening.  A heartfelt thanks from me to the Royal Ballet.

• Like 19

So wonderful to be watching a full-length live gala again, even if only digitally, and what a great treat this programme was after so many barren months.

Loved the wide range of the selected pieces and how it was knit together.

Ending the evening on such a colourful and uplifting note with Elite Syncopations with all (?) dancers on stage – what a fabulous idea; as was having the stalls cleared for the orchestra and inviting students and nursing staff. Having said that, as a keen follower of ballet myself I do feel for all you Royal Ballet fans in the UK who surely would have much preferred to be sitting inside, as would I in Germany on an occasion like this.

What I liked best of all, perhaps, was the sheer joy, happiness and, in some cases, exuberance the dancers radiated on their return to the stage.

I am really sorry to hear that so many have had technical difficulties last night – I do hope the ROH will be able to sort them out soon.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I thought it was a terrific choice and combination; Sleeping Beauty as the joyful, wistful, transcendent opener, also of course reminiscent of the ROH reopening after WW2, followed by Untouchable - it was only as the show started that I realised the poignancy of that title and the theme in current circumstances. And it conveyed so powerfully the horrors of alienation, anxiety and darkness which the rest of the evening then served to alleviate. Brilliant.

My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

I watched on my home computer. Linked up throuh the email they sent me and got a perfect picture!  It was absolutely fantastic and I loved the varied programme. The dancing was superb throughout!  My son joined me for Elite Syncopations and was bowled over, so much so that he wants to watch the whole thing.  He has my email on his laptop, as he needed to rescue me when our internet dropped and I was in the middle of teaching a zoom lesson,  so he plans on connecting that to the TV to enable us to watch the performance on the big screen.  I think it's a brilliant idea to combine a live audience with online streaming!  I watched from Israel, someone I know watched in Australia, another in France.  No-one I know had any problems connecting. I wonder why so many people did? 

By the way does anyone have a cast list - I missed some of them?

• Like 1