The mind boggles at the criteria which must have been in play in assembling the BBC4 programme:

- show all the available Principals to advantage plus as many First Soloists as possible

- display classical pieces, heritage works, and those by the two resident choreographers

- get as many company members on stage as feasible

etc, etc.

I think Kevin O’Hare and the Producer succeeded in offering a delectable evening and the two interviews were fine, not least because some important things were said and the compere’s input was limited.

But I agree that there are some ‘unused’ items from both broadcasts which could well comprise a Part 2.
I would buy a DVD of what was shown last night and of any future ‘mash up’.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 8

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very enjoyable Boxing Day celebration and well edited, thankfully with minimal presenter, although it seemed slightly odd that Sarah Lamb/Ryoichi Hirano weren’t applauded with the lights up as I think others were. Very good to have the compilation available for a month.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnS said:

A very enjoyable Boxing Day celebration and well edited, thankfully with minimal presenter, although it seemed slightly odd that Sarah Lamb/Ryoichi Hirano weren’t applauded with the lights up as I think others were. Very good to have the compilation available for a month.

Their pas de deux was filmed in the context of the whole ballet (WTGH) and, as it wasn’t at the end, they didn’t have a solo bow during the actual performance.

Agree it seemed odd but it needed to be a cut and paste job!

• Like 2

Last night's compilation was wonderful, the Elite excerpts were good Company start and finish items, and then they seemed to choose all the moments I wanted to see, especially Fille, Manon and Rhapsody! Loved seeing Wayne Macgregor introducing Edward Watson, he outshone the presenter in weird clothes too!

I'm very confused though and have been trying to work out which performances were used, was it just the bookable shows or did it include the October Gala?

Luckily it was a good reception night for TV (severe gales had been forecast which might have blown my aerial down), but if they come up with a double disc DVD I would be delighted 🙂

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I'm very confused though and have been trying to work out which performances were used, was it just the bookable shows or did it include the October Gala?

DonQ at least was the 9 October "Back on Stage" 

I thought this was an excellent selection which hopefully will have attracted the casual viewer as well as those of us who just revel in every opportunity to see some of our favourite dancers and choreography. I would love a part 2  particularly The  Dream pas de deux, Monotones and more of the beautiful Within the Golden Hour. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:

Rhapsody, WTGH, Dying Swan and Manon were from the 13th November show; all the rest, including the interviews and Joseph Sissens and Yuhui Choe talking to camera, was streamed on the 9th October.

• Like 1

I can understand how difficult it would be to combine two excellent galas without duplication ...

I was delighted with the whole, and enjoyed guessing ‘which’ would be shown.  Particularly delighted to see these again

Rhapsody (Takada/Campbell)

Manon (Morera/Bonelli)

Carousel (Mayara/Ball)

In our Wishes (Kaneko/Clarke)

Don Q (Nunez/Muntagirov)

and disappointed not to see William Bracewell’s solo ‘Blessed Spirits’ .

Many more opportunities to rewatch in next 11 months on iPlayer ...hooray.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alison said:

I was disappointed to see the In Our Wishes with Kaneko and Clarke, though - hadn't that already been shown on BBC4 back in the summer when they danced it in the original "reopening" performances, or am I getting confused?

Yes you are right it was in the original reopening gala in October (that’s Autumn to me 😉).  

All the pieces in the current BBC highlights gala were in the original two galas  (October and November) which were shown on the new ROH streaming service. Neither of which were free.  

3 hours ago, alison said:

No, I was talking about the 3 they did back in ... June?

oh yes ... in the combined opera/ballet/music concerts in June ... Fumi and Reece performed the Concerto duet, and Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball performed one of the Golden Hour duets.  Neither in the actual costumes.  

And Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales danced a misjudged, depressing (my opinion!) new creation by Wayne McGregor.  

Those were the only duets, as they had to be cohabiting couples only at that point in the pandemic.  

Plus of course ... there was Vadim’s divine solo ‘Dance of the Blessed Spirits’. 

Edited by FionaE
Add more details

23 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Moderators, please  combine with my previous post.

Forgot to add the wonderful pas de deux from the second movement of Concerto with Naghdi and Edmonds - sheer class.

I haven't viewed this yet, but I look forward to viewing it, I feel Nicol Edmonds is often under appreciated - he's an excellent partner. The mostly sticking to one partner thing due to covid is doing several dancers favours!

I think everyone has expected Corrales to make principal and a solid partnership with Hayward is going to help that.

Anna Rose O'Sullivan is clearly on that trajectory too, seems like her and Marcelino are getting talked about as the new star couple.

I'm quite happy seeing Osipova do solos, but I'd like to see her in partnering role too 😞

• Like 3

On 28/12/2020 at 15:33, annekh510 said:

I'm quite happy seeing Osipova do solos, but I'd like to see her in partnering role too 😞

This may have been a bubble problem as she has been flying back and forth to Russia performing at Mikhailovsky in St Petersburg (Cinderella) and at NOVAT in Novosibirsk (Don Quixote and Giselle) inbetween the RB galas.

Though her January performances in Russia are now cancelled as flights are suspended.  

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 1