• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not so "live"? From the Financial Times review....

"The Vimeo “live” stream — actually relayed with a 60-minute time-lag — left a great deal to be desired on Friday night, but happily these glitches don’t appear to affect the pay-per-view recording."

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Maybe not so "live"? From the Financial Times review....

"The Vimeo “live” stream — actually relayed with a 60-minute time-lag — left a great deal to be desired on Friday night, but happily these glitches don’t appear to affect the pay-per-view recording."

I thought I was watching a live performance, not unreasonably since it was advertised as such. Maybe I'm naive?! (But at least I had no problems accessing it!).

• Like 3

Very much enjoyed the performance and looking forward to more opportunities to live stream from home (or anywhere in the world) in the future- hopefully this will be a long term option alongside cinema streaming. 

Stand out moments for me had to be

- Fille- such joyous dancing from O’Sullivan/Sambe and welled up a bit by the end

- Carousel- the most perfect piece for Magri and for Ball. It could have been made for them. Left me wanting more from Carousel and the genius that is MacMillan too

Can’t wait for the upcoming live performances.

• Like 8

On 10/10/2020 at 18:53, Fonty said:

As a matter of interest, where was Darcey?

She was cheering them on from the audience. I would have have loved Darcey as the moderator. Surprised she wasn't asked tbh, as she does the live cinema relays.

Am rewatching the show, and just fast forwarding past the presenter.

One niggle for me (and I love The Dream) was that Alexander Campbell and Claire Calvert didn’t get to dance together. You could see how special it was for the other real life couples to be on stage together. I wonder why their bubble got left out? 

Wishful thinking — Alex could have done two parts (like Akane did) and danced something fun with Claire, like Coppélia. I guess I just want More 😄

• Like 7

10 hours ago, bridiem said:

I thought I was watching a live performance, not unreasonably since it was advertised as such. Maybe I'm naive?! (But at least I had no problems accessing it!).

Mmh. I thought that there was something special about ‘being in the moment’ with the company and the audience wherever they were. But not so.......

I understand the reasons why this wasn’t the case but maybe it’s best to be honest. How they managed it all front of house as well as back stage is part of the story and worth sharing.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Mmh. I thought that there was something special about ‘being in the moment’ with the company and the audience wherever they were. But not so.......

So everyone tuned in to a "live" broadcast, perhaps contributing to the transmission problems which may have been exacerbated by overcapacity (as has been suggested here and elsewhere, and by the experiences of those who could watch it on replay but not live) for something that wasn't really "live". 

On 11/10/2020 at 00:36, LinMM said:

Watching this now in roughly 30 min sections on phone and just had my first teary moment....Magri and Ball in Carousel! Absolutely loved that and have no idea about this Macmillan Ballet....is it a whole ballet or did he just choreograph this pas de deux ...will definitely be watching this a few times

But back to The Golden Hour 

🩰💖🩰💖🩰💖🩰💖🩰🩰💖🩰💖

I saw this production of Carousel some years ago.  MacMillan did all the choreography and it was wonderful.  The opening Carousel ballet was particularly lovely - it would be nice if it were to be released on a DVD.  Does anyone know if it's on YouTube?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Why?

Because that's what it was advertised as?

The Royal Ballet are joined by the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House to broadcast this live performance from the Main Stage to wherever you are in the world in a celebration of ballet.

Recovery Campaign
Live performance is a shared experience, and our audiences are at the heart of what we do on our stages, backstage, online, in cinemas and in our communities.

Just to add: I don't really care if its live or not. Just be honest about it. Had they said for technical reasons we are broadcasting on a one hour delay would everyone have piled in at 1930 and perhaps contributed to the transmission problems? Which the ROH still haven't even acknowledged? 

Edited by oncnp

9 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The Royal Ballet are joined by the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House to broadcast this live performance from the Main Stage to wherever you are in the world in a celebration of ballet.

Exactly.  Thank you oncnp.  As others above have said, the point was to be enjoying the performance as though one was there in the audience, with the orchestra and dancers, sharing the same precious joy of returning to the stage ... at the same point in time. 

Edited by FionaE
Clarification
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Recovery Campaign
Live performance is a shared experience, and our audiences are at the heart of what we do on our stages, backstage, online, in cinemas and in our communities.

For quite a few people the word that should be highlighted is 'broadcast'

• Like 2

I didn't realise there was a time-lapse of an hour but having now realising that via this forum it really doesn't matter a jot.

What matters to me is that at the time I felt involved and I want to remember it that way.  I enjoyed feeling that I was watching with friends (even though we were miles apart) who were all watching at the same time.  So to me it was a live performance.

I don't think that realising it was a time-lapsed performance in any way changes how I felt at the time or now.

• Like 6

watching it 'live' it was quite obviously on a delay (the way they cut between pieces, the way the audience's applause suddenly died, and the background 'hum' changed as the next piece was about to start, etc). I guessed it was about 30mins (rather than 60) to allow for hiccups. Can't say it bothered me to be honest.

• Like 2

I thought I had posted this review earlier but can't see it on the Forum. Mods please remove it if I'm duplicating myself (senility setting in early, alas!)

Well! What a fabulous evening!  It was very well planned and fabulously executed. No one would think only a few months ago all dancers were doing classes on Zoom in their living rooms and kitchens. it was as if they've never been off stage at all and as if these last few terrible months had never existed (if only!) Seems terrible to single out individual performances out of so much excellence but for me there were a few stand out performances.

Best Discovery of the night. Sir Kenneth Macmillan's Carousel pas de deux danced so fabulously by Mayara and Matthew. I've never seen it before. Have the RB danced it before as it was created for the National Theatre? It was so passionately danced, and the choreography was so wonderful it just heightens the loss of Kenneth Macmillan if that was the last piece he created. So much nicer to remember him for that rather than Judas tree.

Most joyous performance of the night. Definitely Marcelino and Anna Rose in La Fille. I really got quite emotional when the audience joined in clapping along to Anna Rose. This is what live theatre is all about, and then Marcelino joining in as well. Made me realise it's been too long since la Fille was staged and it's the sort of ballet we all want to see right now, to bring life, colour and, above all, FUN back to our lives. 

Best classical performance of the night. Of course, it had to be Marianela and Vadim, she of the infectious smile and amazing balances, and his split-level leaps and amazing turns and wonderful partnering. Wow!!

Doncaster Dances. A brilliant short film on how dancing can change and inspire lives and a little-known part of the RB that people should know about.

Finale. Inspired choice to have the colour and light-heartedness of Elite Syncopations - and so many dancers! it was really terrific. Melissa Hamilton was superb (why isn't she given more chances?) and great to see Fernando Montano again. I expect I'll be dipping in and out of the entire concert many times in the next month (maybe I'll even get to like Medusa!).

The whole programme was a wonderful encapsulation of the strength and depth of the RB and their incredible, (definitely world beating!) repertoire and talent. It was so emotional to see them back on stage and with an audience which makes all the difference, and their enthusiastic response meant you hardly noticed they were so reduced. The stress on light-heartedness and love of dance was just what people wanted after six months of doom and gloom. It's inspired me to raid my dvds and watch many of these wonderful performances again as well as see the performance itself again and again.

Edited by Ian Macmillan
Font size
  • Like 14

On 13/10/2020 at 18:44, Jan McNulty said:

I didn't realise there was a time-lapse of an hour but having now realising that via this forum it really doesn't matter a jot.

What matters to me is that at the time I felt involved and I want to remember it that way.  I enjoyed feeling that I was watching with friends (even though we were miles apart) who were all watching at the same time.  So to me it was a live performance.

I don't think that realising it was a time-lapsed performance in any way changes how I felt at the time or now.

In the circumstances, should we not all just give thanks that the Royal Ballet was back on stage and that, vicariously, those of us at home were able to enjoy that?

• Like 11

I honestly couldn't care two hoots if it was exactly in sync with the live performance or a half hour later!  I sat in front of my computer screen with such a thrill of anticipation and was not disappointed - I spent the most wonderful three hours plus and intend watching it again and again, whilst it's still available!  I recommended it to loads of ballet colleagues and all of them were so grateful to me for doing so!  What a wonderful evening and so amazing that after 6 months of being locked out of the ROH the company could put on a performance of that calibre.  It was so obvious to all watching that they pulled out all the stops and everyone gave the performance of their lives!  The joy in their expressions and the passion in their dancing was so incredibly infectious - I knew just how they felt at having the response of an audience again  after months of dancing in their kitchens!  And it was worth every penny to have the privilege of being able to watch such a special performance.  Another one of those occasions to lock up in my memory for ever!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 18

I've just read Jim Pritchard's review of this evening in Seen and Heard International (see this week's Links for more details).  He has a point when he says: "Those watching at home (and in the opera house?) were treated as die-hard balletomanes because nothing we saw was ever fully introduced – either by Anita Rani or by means of titles for us online – in any great detail."  Possibly the ROH needs to think a little more about the expected audience for its broadcasts if they're getting plenty of coverage on TV and in the press, and assume the audience will be going beyond those who normally attend the Opera House - and let's face it, the wider the audience the more money it will rake in.  A sentence or two putting the pieces into context might well be helpful another time.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, alison said:

IPossibly the ROH needs to think a little more about the expected audience for its broadcasts if they're getting plenty of coverage on TV and in the press, and assume the audience will be going beyond those who normally attend the Opera House - and let's face it, the wider the audience the more money it will rake in.  A sentence or two putting the pieces into context might well be helpful another time.

Agreed.  Also see the Spectator review from this morning's links which said, in part....

'Galas don’t need presenters — a word of welcome and a few surtitles will normally suffice — and Anita Rani, despite a TV CV as long as your arm, is certainly no advertisement for the breed: gushing, uninformed and was she wearing that muumuu for a bet?"

It's just occurred to me that the earlier start time for the live audience might have been driven in part by anxiety that the 10pm curfew might be extended to theatres. A 6.30pm start might have been considered too early to catch UK viewers, however.

(Sorry if this point has already been made.)

• Like 2

I’m a bit behind the times, having not found the discussion in the upcoming performances thread and not wanting to start my own!

Most of what I had to say has been said. Though no one has mentioned Nicol Edmonds - it wasn’t dazzling, but it was a strong performance, which as a soloist deserves credit.

I thought everyone was sticking to one partner, so I was a bit confused by Akane appearing with three men!

Female first soloists were notably absent, well half of them, if anyone has shareable info on their well-being please share!

Elizabeth Harrod, Olivia Cowley, Leticia Stock and Gemma Pitchley-Gale were other absentees I spotted, I just hope they are all well and it’s minor niggles or other small things that kept them off the stage.

They also haven’t done any promotions, has anything official been said on this? I assume their is a joiners announcement somewhere, but I must have missed that.

• Like 1

If I could make a quick general comment, I just started following this topic today. There’s a lot that I haven’t read, but based on some of the opening gala reports this seems to be the best worldwide scenario (performers and audience) for reopening that I’ve yet read about.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, annekh510 said:

I’m a bit behind the times, having not found the discussion in the upcoming performances thread and not wanting to start my own!

Most of what I had to say has been said. Though no one has mentioned Nicol Edmonds - it wasn’t dazzling, but it was a strong performance, which as a soloist deserves credit.

I thought everyone was sticking to one partner, so I was a bit confused by Akane appearing with three men!

Female first soloists were notably absent, well half of them, if anyone has shareable info on their well-being please share!

Elizabeth Harrod, Olivia Cowley, Leticia Stock and Gemma Pitchley-Gale were other absentees I spotted, I just hope they are all well and it’s minor niggles or other small things that kept them off the stage.

They also haven’t done any promotions, has anything official been said on this? I assume their is a joiners announcement somewhere, but I must have missed that.

Olivia Cowley is on maternity leave.

• Like 1