Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one time when I'd left my water bottle at home and so tried to take my empty plastic cup into the ROH auditorium with me so I didn't have to waste another one in the second interval, I was told a very firm "no".  So I suppose next time I'll have to bring a plastic bag to put the used cup into so it doesn't drip all over the inside of my bag ...

13 hours ago, alison said:

(And I wish the ROH would go back to using glasses or something which can be washed and reused!  That could save up to 3 plastic cups per person per performance.  I see Sadler's Wells are now supplying reusable plastic beakers)

following Open Up the ROH started using compostable ‘plastic’ cups made from plant starches. I wonder why this practice was discontinued? Expense perhaps 

Cup or bottle, both can be distracting in the auditorium and unless it’s for medical reasons I don’t understand why some patrons can’t sit and watch a 30-50 minute Act without the ‘fumble in bag/backpack, top on, top off incessant sipping’ routine they deem necessary for their survival. Anyone able to enlighten me? 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, prs59 said:

I don’t understand why some patrons can’t sit and watch a 30-50 minute Act without the ‘fumble in bag/backpack, top on, top off incessant sipping’

Agreed - and  c2 hours for Gotterdammerung and Meistersinger.

On 25/01/2020 at 14:38, Pas de Quatre said:

I have an ex pupil (still in touch) who has suffered severe health  problems and has a colostomy bag. She is in her thirties and outwardly she is very pretty and glamorous, so nobody would guess she is disabled.

Although slightly off-topic, I thought you might like to see what the young lady I was talking about earlier in this thread said to me in an online conversation yesterday.

I am a dancer to this day (when I’m well enough!) because of you, and it will always be a huge part of my life. It’s one of my main driving forces in getting properly better - to be able to dance properly again!"

• Like 9

Has anyone else noticed a certain stern solo low male voice shouting bravo (sometimes brava, bravi) at shows in London this season? These sorts of signs of approval are not unusual of course - done it myself at great performances - but I have noticed this particular voice over the last few months, in both the ROH and (less frequently) the Coliseum. It seems to my ears to be the same person, which is why I am posting. 

The characteristics of this particular enthusiast are:

- placed in lower sections of the house (maybe Stalls Circle in the ROH?)

- shouts as soon as possible when the variation or aria finishes

- shouts ahead of the audience’s applause starting, often while the music is still coming to an end

- shouts even when things are not that special

- and he is often the only person to shout out (in other words, the music is finishing, he shouts all by himself, and then perhaps the audience starts to applaud)

It may be that I am imagining things. But if not, I wish this person - who has access to a lot of tickets and perhaps an unusual personality - could be helped to understand that it would be considerate to wait at least a few seconds before sharing his loud opinion. Some of us are still listening, watching, involved in what is happening on stage and in the pit.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Has anyone else noticed a certain stern solo low male voice shouting bravo (sometimes brava, bravi) at shows in London this season? These sorts of signs of approval are not unusual of course - done it myself at great performances - but I have noticed this particular voice over the last few months, in both the ROH and (less frequently) the Coliseum. It seems to my ears to be the same person, which is why I am posting. 

The characteristics of this particular enthusiast are:

- placed in lower sections of the house (maybe Stalls Circle in the ROH?)

- shouts as soon as possible when the variation or aria finishes

- shouts ahead of the audience’s applause starting, often while the music is still coming to an end

- shouts even when things are not that special

- and he is often the only person to shout out (in other words, the music is finishing, he shouts all by himself, and then perhaps the audience starts to applaud)

It may be that I am imagining things. But if not, I wish this person - who has access to a lot of tickets and perhaps an unusual personality - could be helped to understand that it would be considerate to wait at least a few seconds before sharing his loud opinion. Some of us are still listening, watching, involved in what is happening on stage and in the pit.

i shouldn’t be surprised, as many women (and men) will confirm, some men love the sound of their own voices and are more than happy to share their opinions without much consideration of the circumstances or the sensibilities of those with and around them 

25 minutes ago, RuthE said:

If this is somebody new this season, as Geoff suggests, then it isn't the individual who's been doing similar for years (who is very distinctive in appearance and I would be happy to point out to Geoff sometime!)

Thank you!

My sense is he's been getting worse recently (even quicker off the mark, even less discriminating in choosing when to offer his comments)...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RuthE said:

If this is somebody new this season, as Geoff suggests, then it isn't the individual who's been doing similar for years (who is very distinctive in appearance and I would be happy to point out to Geoff sometime!)

I don't think it's anyone new, and it is the cane-using sartorially challenged person you are thinking of.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Thank you!

My sense is he's been getting worse recently (even quicker off the mark, even less discriminating in choosing when to offer his comments)...

Yes, he has been annoying us for a very long time.  I think he is one of those people who thinks that he is showing everyone else how knowledgeable he is by behaving in that way.  Bravi becomes meaningless if it is yelled out all the time.  We all call him 'Mr Bravo'.  :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

And he attends both ballet and opera... and seems to like the same singers I do :angry:

On 03/02/2020 at 19:36, Shade said:

I am sure that single use plastic cups will not be available in the future. I do try to remember to carry one if I can. But all food and drink should be banned from auditorium 

I mostly agree, but in the winter months with bugs going around, I think water and cough drops are almost unavoidable. Clearly if you're in the depths of consumption like a tragic operatic heroine, it's polite to stay away. However, I wouldn't expect people to give up seats (at ROH prices!) for a bit of a snivel, and would prefer a fumble then silence to someone having to leave their seat midway. It wasn't that long ago that the ROH had a supply of Grethers pastilles for just this reason. 

That said, quiet water bottles and unwrapping strepsils into a handkerchief in advance would be appreciated! 

P.S. I saw someone sneak fried chicken into the auditorium in December... 😬

• Like 2

This is why I always try to book end of row seats now after an incidence (unbelievably two years ago already)  at Sadlers Wells when went to see Matthew Bournes The Red Shoes. 
It was January and suddenly mid performance developed uncontrollable cough ( first time) I drank nearly whole bottle of water but it didnt work and really wished I’d had some nice menthol ‘sweets’ with me. I couldn’t leave..right in the middle of long row so would have caused major disruption in a really quiet bit 😳 I nearly choked to death preventing myself from coughing!! 

I did get reseated after the interval though thank goodness. 
so end of row or no go ...well mostly..these days. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes, he has been annoying us for a very long time.  I think he is one of those people who thinks that he is showing everyone else how knowledgeable he is by behaving in that way.  Bravi becomes meaningless if it is yelled out all the time.  We all call him 'Mr Bravo'.  :lol:

I daren't say what I call him....it's certainly not Mr!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I know it's not really funny, but this thread has taken a very amusing turn of late!  It seems Mr Bravo attends a great many performances.  Maybe we could, between us, report sightings so as to predict his attendance pattern and avoid accordingly?  Does he favour any particular dancer(s)?  

Frankly that’s just not fair on those of us who like the same dancers. He should be warned (by the theatres) to zip it unless actually worthy of a bravo/a/i (his command of grammar is obviously there to impress) or face some consequences. ROH can’t be pleased if it’s coming across in live streams which I assume often become DVD versions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

It was January and suddenly mid performance developed uncontrollable cough ( first time) I drank nearly whole bottle of water but it didnt work and really wished I’d had some nice menthol ‘sweets’ with me. I couldn’t leave..right in the middle of long row so would have caused major disruption in a really quiet bit 😳 I nearly choked to death preventing myself from coughing!! 

I had something similar to this at Manon this past October. Usually if I have a cold I don't go to the theatre but this was Morera & Bonelli's last, possibly ever, performance so I decided to risk it. In the middle of Act 2 I got an uncontrollable coughing fit & had to grab water from my bag & have several drinks before the fit passed. I did apologise profusely to the people sitting next to me in the next interval. It hasn't made me only book aisle seats though, since the only way I can afford the stalls at the ROH is to get the outermost edge with the package booking discount.

As for the premature bravoing, I've noticed it a few times recently but hadn't connected it up as being the same person repeatedly. I wonder what would happen if he went to Parsifal at Bayreuth!

22 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Frankly that’s just not fair on those of us who like the same dancers. He should be warned (by the theatres) to zip it unless actually worthy of a bravo/a/i (his command of grammar is obviously there to impress) or face some consequences. ROH can’t be pleased if it’s coming across in live streams which I assume often become DVD versions.

Oh I agree, Blossom - my tongue was firmly in my cheek, but sometimes this doesn't come across on the screen 😉

• Like 1