Audience Behaviour

12 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Yes, that is what I would do as well.   If someone has such an urgent situation that requires them to keep their mobile phone switched on in order to check, then they should not be there in the first place. 

With regard to water drinking, I am embarrassed to say that I frequently get a very dry throat which leads to coughing fits during live performances.  I don't know what sets it off, I wish I did, and I do try to drink unobtrusively and refrain from slurping, I really do.  Sorry.  :(

i didn't set out to criticise the occasional drinker, we have all had a dry throat at some time or other which needs lubricating. over and above this,  there now seems to be a sub-species of (mainly younger) people, who are attached to their bottles like a child to a teddy bear and suck on them much as a child would it's thumb or a baby a nipple.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I think people think it's like the cinema where everyone stuffs themselves with popcorn and massive amounts of sweets and forget that it's actually a live performance.  

Indeed. But there must be some severe cognitive dissonance there, because how on earth can you sit in what is known as a world-renowned/iconic auditorium and somehow believe you are a) the only one there or b) at home... it really is quite baffling.

I thought people might have been out of practice in terms of audience behaviour post-Covid, so I chalked it up to that, but now the pandemic restrictions have been somewhat over for a while, it's no longer an excuse!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Yes, that is what I would do as well.   If someone has such an urgent situation that requires them to keep their mobile phone switched on in order to check, then they should not be there in the first place. 

Indeed - I've pulled out of attending performances I really wanted to go to if I've had unexpected, work related circumstances to contend with.

It's a necessary sacrifice for the enjoyment of others and to show sufficient respect to the dancers/performance in question.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I had the misfortune to be sitting next to exactly the same man (what are the odds of that!) who felt the need to wave his hands around/'conduct' the performances from his seat (which is fiendishly annoying and very distracting when it's in your sightline), bob his head around to the music (how on earth does one do that during Stravinsky, of all things?) and even worse, actually hum at some points.

I understand and respect enthusiasm for beautiful live music, but is there a need to hum, move around and wave your hands in 'conductor' mode, when there is a highly skilled professional in the orchestra pit already employed to do this properly? I find it quite baffling that people believe this sort of behaviour is acceptable, as if they are sitting at home watching TV instead of in a public place.

I sat next to this person or someone very similar at the Ashton triple too. He absolutely ruined it for me. He air conducted through Scenes. He  played the air piano through A month in the country and he was back to air conducting through Rhapsody. He had a wonderful time I think.
I also had talkers behind me so it wasn’t even just him who ruined it but he certainly was incredibly distracting. I had another ticket for the same bill but had to return it as I was ill so I was really upset about it. 

• Like 1

Dawnstar- you have my sympathy, it sounds as if you had a terrible experience.

Audience members should consider other people as well as just themselves.

And we should all remind them to do so, politely but firmly.

One person does not have the right to spoil the pleasure of others.

• Like 4

I think the problem is sometimes people can get aggressive or confrontational when they are (politely) told off. I do really feel for ushers but I do wish they would intervene more sometimes, or just get to the point where someone who is repetitively disturbing others is banned. Even when they don’t it often leaves a bad feeling in the air. 

There appears to be a lot more photo taking and filming in theatres (during performances) post pandemic. I’ve noticed on a lot of dancers’ instagrams they will share stories where they have been tagged in what do appear to be someone having filmed them during a live performance. I really wish they wouldn’t share these stories to be honest as it sort of implies that it was ok to film, and also could encourage others filming in future as well. 

Of course it’s totally fine and I like stories being shared of curtain call pictures and videos, but I think anything during a live performance of clearly unauthorised filming should not be encouraged or shared. 

I’m with @Fonty - I try to let it go a couple of times but if whatever it is continues and risks continuing for the whole performance I tend to quickly shush or tell someone if they are being disruptive. The problem is you can only do this for people in your immediate vicinity so those further away on phones or talking I can’t do much and try to channel @PeterSand ignore and focus on the performance. I often wonder if others genuinely aren’t bothered by it or if they are too scared to say something (and wouldn’t blame them to be honest). 

I also wish ROH would do more messaging about food in the auditorium as I have noticed it being sneaked in a lot. (And the nonsensical you can eat an ROH ice cream inside but nothing else doesn’t help or make sense, surely its bad for them as well as I’ve seen empty water bottles and ice cream containers littering the floor at the end of performances now.) 

I’ve had a couple of performances completely ruined by other people’s behaviour in the last year so I’m trying to be more zen about it but their selfishness really does bother me, I’d be mortified if I was ruining someone else’s night. It doesn’t seem to matter where I sit so it’s not correlated to ticket price at all. 

• Like 5

I’ll also add I’m often sympathetic to someone who makes a little noise trying to get a cough sweet or water and trying to do it as quickly or quietly as possible as I can sense that’s what they’re trying to do! What I’m talking about here is the constant chatter, blatant phone usage (unnecessary even once but really unforgivable if they are regular checking, as others have just said if it’s that important you probably should leave the performance to deal with whatever is so urgent) etc. Drinking water I have some sympathy with if it’s a one off but can people really not go 40-50 mins without guzzling something? Surely just hydrate before and after the act? 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, JNC said:

I think the problem is sometimes people can get aggressive or confrontational when they are (politely) told off. I do really feel for ushers but I do wish they would intervene more sometimes, or just get to the point where someone who is repetitively disturbing others is banned. Even when they don’t it often leaves a bad feeling in the air. 

Indeed - I recall a performance of Romeo and Juliet this year, Natalia Osipova's only performance (as she pulled out of the other one due to Covid). I was so looking forward to seeing her and managed to snap up a return for the other night.

Was unfortunate to be seated alongside two rather unpleasant people who looked to be around 50/60 years + (I'm just adding ages here to indicate that rudeness is across the board) in the front row of the stalls circle (side).

The wife kept on leaning forward to see, forcing her husband to do so as well, to the detriment of others in the row, and I spoke to them both very politely about it after the first act. They brushed it off, with the husband loudly insisting that they "weren't leaning forward" and they "didn't understand" what I meant (when they clearly were doing exactly that). A man in the row behind me asked me to report them both to the usher, which I duly did - and nothing came of it. I was enraptured by the performance anyway and could mostly ignore it, but it's so irritating when people obstinately refuse to understand or change their behaviour.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of 'code of conduct' the ROH could provide as a reminder, along with the cast sheets.

Edited by art_enthusiast

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

I'm afraid I have got to the stage in life where I tell people if they are irritating me.  Last time I was sitting side stalls, next to the aisle for Swan Lake.  Across the aisle, and one row in front, was woman who spent most of Swan Lake act 2 scrolling through her electronic device, and occasionally typing.  She was right in my eye line.  I did wonder about getting up mid performance, but thought that might distract the dancers (?) so I waited until the interval, shot across the aisle, and politely told her that she was really distracting me and could she please not do it again.  She stared at me open mouthed, as if the thought that other people might have noticed had never occurred to her.

Her seat was empty for the rest of the evening, but I had got to the stage where, if she had continued, I would have had no qualms about getting up and snatching the device from her.  Who are these people who have an expensive seat in the stalls, and barely raise an eye to the stage.  Why couldn't they just stay at home?

Well done! I've had to do the same.

3 hours ago, DVDfan said:

Having read this thread with interest since it started, I would never, ever go to a live performance... 

Oh that's a shame....you would be missing a wonderful experience that can never be replicated in the same way by recordings. I would not let over-concentration on the various issues mentioned on this thread put you off;  taken together, I feel may be giving you the wrong impression.

Personally, apart from one or two minor quibbles, I have found ballet audiences  well behaved, and having attended on  numerous occasions since 2018 I can recall no incidents of audience behaviour that have spoiled the performance for me.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Fonty said:

I'm afraid I have got to the stage in life where I tell people if they are irritating me.  Last time I was sitting side stalls, next to the aisle for Swan Lake.  Across the aisle, and one row in front, was woman who spent most of Swan Lake act 2 scrolling through her electronic device, and occasionally typing.  She was right in my eye line.  I did wonder about getting up mid performance, but thought that might distract the dancers (?) so I waited until the interval, shot across the aisle, and politely told her that she was really distracting me and could she please not do it again.  She stared at me open mouthed, as if the thought that other people might have noticed had never occurred to her.

Her seat was empty for the rest of the evening, but I had got to the stage where, if she had continued, I would have had no qualms about getting up and snatching the device from her.  Who are these people who have an expensive seat in the stalls, and barely raise an eye to the stage.  Why couldn't they just stay at home?

You are absolutely right, Fonty. To accept unacceptable behaviour (and suffer) is the wrong way as it only encourages such behaviour.

Air conducting, talking, drinking, typing - I bet they simply think nothing of it. And might even be grateful if someone tells them politely that this is just not done during a performance. 

Of course I understand that it's not so easy to tell people that they are misbehaving.
But just tolerating it could mean that we sooner or later see people munching popcorn, chips, icecream and hamburgers in the ROH.

• Like 6

I get very bad repeated hiccups and once had the hiccups for a full twenty minutes of a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. Had no water, no amount of breathing techniques were getting rid of them, they were quiet enough that only my immediate neighbour could hear but luckily he was very good-humoured about it and even offered me a glass of water in the interval. I was mortified throughout but glad that the stranger sat next to me had the grace to not make me feel any worse for something unavoidable. Sometimes it happens! 

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
16 hours ago, JNC said:

There appears to be a lot more photo taking and filming in theatres (during performances) post pandemic. I’ve noticed on a lot of dancers’ instagrams they will share stories where they have been tagged in what do appear to be someone having filmed them during a live performance. I really wish they wouldn’t share these stories to be honest as it sort of implies that it was ok to film, and also could encourage others filming in future as well. 

I would have thought that all theatres would ban filming during the performance (distraction, copyright among other issues) but looking at the Rome Opera IG site from the current run of Corsaire they are actually re-publishing them. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

I would have thought that all theatres would ban filming during the performance (distraction, copyright among other issues) but looking at the Rome Opera IG site from the current run of Corsaire they are actually re-publishing them. 

Yes they really shouldn’t. And I wish dancers wouldn’t either (they probably do it without considering the negative implications but I wonder if ROH should be picking this up?). Like I said curtain calls after a performance is over absolutely fine. Anything during shouldn’t be allowed/shared. 

exception of course for professionals allowed to do so like dancer’s diary Instagram etc. I think he tends to stand at the stalls circle so the camera isn’t in the way of anyone. 

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
49 minutes ago, JNC said:

Yes they really shouldn’t. And I wish dancers wouldn’t either (they probably do it without considering the negative implications but I wonder if ROH should be picking this up?). Like I said curtain calls after a performance is over absolutely fine. Anything during shouldn’t be allowed/shared. 

exception of course for professionals allowed to do so like dancer’s diary Instagram etc. I think he tends to stand at the stalls circle so the camera isn’t in the way of anyone. 

I think if the Rome Opera house is putting the clips on their IG site they don't care about filming during performances.  Might even be a good marketing tool, especially the very enthusiastic audience reaction. 

Edited by oncnp

18 hours ago, JNC said:

I also wish ROH would do more messaging about food in the auditorium as I have noticed it being sneaked in a lot. (And the nonsensical you can eat an ROH ice cream inside but nothing else doesn’t help or make sense, surely its bad for them as well as I’ve seen empty water bottles and ice cream containers littering the floor at the end of performances now.) 

I did witness the ushers asking a couple who had opened up two plastic food containers and were sharing what looked to be a full meal during one of the performances of the recent Ashton triple bill to stop eating in the auditorium. They were mid way through their feast by the time of the interval, looked very surprised when asked to stop and disappeared for the rest of the evening.

23 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't understand why it's necessary at all, unless it's a very long act (I'm talking Wagner-length) or if there's a medical reason or a cough threatening. 

And frequently not even then (drink slurping). I have asthma and an over-sensitised larynx, both of which go into defensive cough mode in response to the ROH air conditioning. I can generally pre-empt matters with a supply of airway-opening pastilles and on those occasions when I am caught unawares, I usually manage to hold my cough back during the quieter moments, however uncomfortable that might be.

17 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

The wife kept on leaning forward to see, forcing her husband to do so as well, to the detriment of others in the row, and I spoke to them both very politely about it after the first act. They brushed it off, with the husband loudly insisting that they "weren't leaning forward" and they "didn't understand" what I meant (when they clearly were doing exactly that). A man in the row behind me asked me to report them both to the usher, which I duly did - and nothing came of it.

I have to say that I have always found the ushers particularly helpful on these occasions. Both my daughter and I have spoken to them on behalf of others who had politely asked serial leaners to sit back, only to be ignored - in some cases with the offenders deliberately leaning and stretching even more. The ushers have always had a word, and the behaviour of the offenders has invariably improved.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I have asthma and an over-sensitised larynx, both of which go into defensive cough mode in response to the ROH air conditioning.

Ah.  The latter must be what I have, too.  It feels as though something hits that particular sensitive spot at the back of the throat, and that's it - unavoidable cough :(  And then of course you tense up, which only makes things worse.  I've found that trying to redirect your attention onto the performance rather than the cough does seem to help, but it's difficult.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, alison said:

Ah.  The latter must be what I have, too.  It feels as though something hits that particular sensitive spot at the back of the throat, and that's it - unavoidable cough :(  And then of course you tense up, which only makes things worse.  I've found that trying to redirect your attention onto the performance rather than the cough does seem to help, but it's difficult.

True. as soon as you become aware of a potential cough, the urge to cough more increases exponentially.

As regards the over-sensitised larynx, my Brompton consultant informed me that this is a particular problem with middle aged women. It tends to develop following a severe chest infection, is frequently misdiagnosed in the early stages when it could be corrected and by the time that the diagnosis is made, it is usually too late to reverse the damage, with the problem exacerbated by the fact that the drugs companies refuse to refund research since any advances in treatment would adversely impact upon their revenue.

• Like 1

Sigh….only negative from a fabulous evening at Sadlers Wells tonight was the awful couple sadly sat to my left. 
Large drinks sipped noisily & constantly in both halves with the constant crash of ice cubes almost driving me to physical violence - it was at times distracting me from the performance; like being rudely woken up from a great dream. To add injury to insult, after the interval added to the mix was the constant shovelling of hard cased nuts with loud open mouthed chomping….grrrr. Accompanied  by ‘plastic popping’ of the (fortunately small) tub. 
OMG. Oh, and phone left on & looked at….I nearly grabbed it to shove it somewhere impolite….. 

Is a 20 minute interval not long enough to eat said nuts??? I do think notices to say please consume snacks with drinks in the bar not the auditorium are in order as too many do seem to behave in live theatre just as they see is the norm in cinema….

I do appreciate that maybe people are ‘new’ & I am all for welcoming new audiences to ballet & live theatre but perhaps a little pre-visit etiquette education is needed?? Just a few polite reminders in signs/pre-show announcements?

Having said that, am pretty sure those two would slurp & chomp their way through any event  - even a christening/wedding/

funeral/bar mitzvah - whatever!! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 2

The problem is that if you explicitly allow people to eat and drink in the auditorium you're asking for trouble. Does Sadler's Wells (and do other theatres) themselves not understand the nature of a (serious) live performance and the 'spell' that is created (we hope) between performers and audience?? It can only survive in something approaching silence and preferably in enveloping darkness. That's where the magic happens. If theatres don't understand this, we're all in trouble.

• Like 12

Absolutely Bridiem. 
Sorry about your experience Peanut68 so infuriating!!
I’ve had incredibly good luck regards audience behaviour but the one time my experience was diminished was at Sadlers Wells unfortunately and very similar to above. You know you’re on a loser when you realise the drink is more important than the performance to the people involved. In my incident the person next to me put her drink on the floor near my foot! I did point out that politely that I was worried I might kick it over (though not on purpose lol)  and she blithely ( and seriously) said oh don’t worry I can just get another one!! 
I do really wish theatres would ban food and drink in the auditorium even if slightly longer intervals are required. 

• Like 6

I think it's sad too for the people who do eat and drink through a live performance - they won't be getting the thrill that real concentration on what you're seeing can bring. (It can be quite exhausting watching a performance - especially when using opera glasses a lot! - but the reward for giving your whole attention is so huge.)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

If theatres don't understand this, we're all in trouble.

I am perplexed by the approach taken by theatres and wonder what instructions are given to their bar staff. On one occasion (I can’t recall whether it was Sadler’s Wells or the Coliseum), on asking whether I could leave an unfinished drink for the interval and having been told that I could take it in, I was met with a look of “are you totally mad?” incredulity when I replied that I would rather not take food or drink into the auditorium. 

• Like 2

I think all food and drink should be banned in any auditorium.  The only exception should be a small bottle of water or some sweets, pastilles or whatever for those of us who get coughing fits for whatever reason during a performance.  Given that all performances are timed so that people can eat comfortably beforehand, there is no reason at all for it. Oh, I know that someone will say "I had to work late and dashed to get here on time and I am starving....."  well, eat a snack in the interval then.   Drinks can take a while to be served, but every theatre has a facility to order interval drinks in advance, and surely the length of an interval is enough time to drink a beer, glass of wine or whatever.  Also, why would anyone want to eat or drink while watching the stage?  I am so engrossed by the performance, doing anything else would just distract me. 

Going to the cinema now is a nightmare of people slurping vats of drink and crunching their way through buckets of popcorn.  I would hate to think the live theatre is going the same way. 

• Like 8

I've noticed a few times at ROH that a very long and slow queue can form for the new water machine in the Amphi bar area. Obviously this indicates that they need another one, or at least some jugs set out, but I wonder how much shorter the queue would be were bottles not being refilled (which in fairness seems to be encouraged).

If we must get used to people sipping water throughout, I don't see why people just wanting a cup at the interval should lose out.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
13 minutes ago, Fonty said:

New water machine?  Do they not put jugs of water on the bar now?

I believe they do (or did the last time I was there) but trying to hit the narrow neck of a water bottle is much easier (and less messy) with the converted water fountain.  Also more sanitary.

Edited by oncnp

Agreed. This is one reason why the ROH is my favourite London theatre and very special to me. Yes the building is lovely, staff friendly, plentiful toilets and of course the performances themselves, but the no food and drink rule makes the auditorium feel like a slightly sacred place. Long may it continue (and I hope they get stricter on ice cream consumption in the auditorium and keep a watchful eye and people trying to sneak glasses of drinks in). 

Live performances are special and unique things, if people want to snack and slurp away they really should stay home and watch a stream or go to the cinema. 

re the water yes the water comes out of the system very slowly, hence the long queues. It either needs to be a little quicker, or realistically they need more than one in each area - a minimum of two but ideally three. Not sure why anyone ever thought one was enough and seems sensible to put in 2-3 at the same time rather than one. As it stands if they’re not going to put in more they really do need to do the old system of putting out water jugs which worked reasonably well. I haven’t seen the water jugs recently as I thought they had the machine to replace them but maybe I haven’t looked hard enough!

• Like 5

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, JNC said:

...., or realistically they need more than one in each area - a minimum of two but ideally three. Not sure why anyone ever thought one was enough and seems sensible to put in 2-3 at the same time rather than one. A

I believe the one in the amphi and the one on the ground floor near the cafe are retrofits, not new install.  Should think relatively simple as the plumbing already exists. Not sure how complicated extra plumbing for new units would be but as you say, one is definitely not enough and something the ROH should put on their summer building list. 

I can't see why it would be a problem to put out jugs and glasses for those who haven't brought a water bottle.  And on that topic, do people really need to fill an entire half litre bottle?  When I take my own, it is usually half full and that is ample for the few sips I need.  It is not as if the audience is sitting for hours in the sun in 35 degree heat, is it?  

That reminds me, I was attending an open air tennis tournament, and during one of the breaks I went to refill my water bottle.  The woman in front of me at the drinks fountain produced four empty 1 litre containers, which she had to fill to the brim.  The machine was extremely slow, and by the time she had finished filling them, the queue was enormous.  I did think that was a bit selfish.  I know it was a warm day, but even so. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I haven’t seen the water jugs recently as I thought they had the machine to replace them but maybe I haven’t looked hard enough!

I looked for some on Friday because the queue for the machine was so long - no sign of any as far as I could tell (I checked the bar on the terrace as well).

If I'd been thirstier I'd have asked the bar staff but they were busy enough as it was.

On other recent occasions I couldn't see any jugs in the Floral Hall or ground floor café either.

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I can't see why it would be a problem to put out jugs and glasses for those who haven't brought a water bottle.  And on that topic, do people really need to fill an entire half litre bottle?  When I take my own, it is usually half full and that is ample for the few sips I need.  It is not as if the audience is sitting for hours in the sun in 35 degree heat, is it? 

In the 7 hours round trip at evening theatregoing in London takes me I usually get through around a litre and a half of water, more in hot weather, so if I only had a half litre bottle with me I'd certainly need to completely fill it, and multiple times in an evening. As it is, I take 2 or 3 bottles of water down with me so I don't have to do masses of refilling. I've only used the water points a couple of times at the ROH so far & I've used the one by the basement loos which hasn't been at all busy.

As for alcoholic drinks, if theatre must sell wine & beer then I wish they'd choose ones with minimal odours. I dislike the smell of wine, especially red, and beer so find it pretty unpleasant if I have to sit next to someone drinking strongly-smelling alcohol.

• Like 2