Audience Behaviour

26 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

He did it at this past Saturday's matinee too so it must be something he does as standard. Maybe the other SB conductors could be encouraged to follow suit in future runs.

Yes, he also did it last Thursday - it worked really well.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the cinema on Thursday to see Knives Out.  It was a late afternoon performance, so not that crowded, but I have to say the audience were extremely well behaved!  No getting up and going out all the time, no talking out loud, no slurping of drinks.  The couple next to me had a large tub of popcorn, but they were making an effort to eat it quietly.  

Perhaps they had been reading this thread?

• Like 1

'Interesting' experience this evening when the main audience was there for La Traviata while an Insight was in the Clore...............

I couldn't help but notice that able-bodied opera-going ladies seemed to feel 'entitled' to use the disabled toilets at ground floor level despite the presence of two men balancing themselves on sticks. I appreciate that not all disabilities are obvious but these agile 50-something ladies joshing with one another seemed to display a disregard for the needs of others which rather shook me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, capybara said:

'Interesting' experience this evening when the main audience was there for La Traviata while an Insight was in the Clore...............

I couldn't help but notice that able-bodied opera-going ladies seemed to feel 'entitled' to use the disabled toilets at ground floor level despite the presence of two men balancing themselves on sticks. I appreciate that not all disabilities are obvious but these agile 50-something ladies joshing with one another seemed to display a disregard for the needs of others which rather shook me.

I'm afraid this is the norm for many performances. I have mobility problems and find it difficult,to stand for more than a short while and have,frequently given up waiting while some willowy young ladies queue up in front of me.

When I first went to the ROH in December after my accident in August I was still struggling on the stairs and there are quite a lot of them down to the loos from the new cafe area. I’d never noticed the two disabled toilets round the corner on the cafe level before as I used to automatically go down the stairs. Anyway I asked an attendant in the cloakroom if it would be alright to use one of those disabled ones and she said it would be fine. I was down to one crutch then but had put it in the cloakroom for the performance. But I did wonder what the person waiting in a wheelchair thought when I came out as although I still had a limp then I didn’t look that disabled but at that point going up and down too many stairs was a bit difficult for me unless absolutely unavoidable. 

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

When I first went to the ROH in December after my accident in August I was still struggling on the stairs and there are quite a lot of them down to the loos from the new cafe area. I’d never noticed the two disabled toilets round the corner on the cafe level before as I used to automatically go down the stairs. Anyway I asked an attendant in the cloakroom if it would be alright to use one of those disabled ones and she said it would be fine. I was down to one crutch then but had put it in the cloakroom for the performance. But I did wonder what the person waiting in a wheelchair thought when I came out as although I still had a limp then I didn’t look that disabled but at that point going up and down too many stairs was a bit difficult for me unless absolutely unavoidable. 

I’ve  noticed a label on the door saying words to the effect ‘not all disabilities are obvious’ recently

• Like 2

A touch more selfish, but I also feel the apparently ably bodied ladies who crowd around the ground floor disabled loos are usually blocking the way to the gents!  On a lighter note, the other night I stopped a lady wandering down the steps to the gents and pointed her in the right direction.  Better signage still needed, methinks.

Worth remembering that there is another disabled loo just through the doors opposite the 2 disabled loos by the gents (i.e. towards the auditorium).

I agree that people shouldn’t use disabled loos simply because the queue is shorter or it saves you a walk, but there are sometimes reasons other than disabilities which mean they are the only practical choice. (I won’t go into the gory details!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Worth remembering that there is another disabled loo just through the doors opposite the 2 disabled loos by the gents (i.e. towards the auditorium).

Yes, but, last night, the people in question were 'owning' that one too!!

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I’ve  noticed a label on the door saying words to the effect ‘not all disabilities are obvious’ recently

That is, of course, appropriate.

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Better signage still needed, methinks.

I have been 'on the case' for 16 months now and the only change is the notices stuck on the two 'disabled' toilet doors. The signage to the ladies' downstairs is virtually non-existent.

• Like 1

I think there are lots of people who aren’t necessarily ‘disabled’ but who have conditions affecting the bladder/ bowels meaning they can’t wait very long or need extra space/ disposal facilities. Maybe they just need a few more disabled loos, even more so now you can just walk in off the street? Agree the ladies are not well sign posted at all 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’m sure it’s my lack of observance but didn’t know there were lifts down to the main loos on the ground level 🙄

9 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Nor me!  Where are they?  The number of times I have toiled up and down those stairs!

i don’t know about house left, but on house right, the staircase goes all the way into the basement by the new 2nd entrance to the main Ladies’ loos. If you head from the old foyer as if to go down this right-hand side staircase, the lift is on your right just as you pass the upward flight of stairs.

• Like 1

The 'disabled' toilet saga continues.....................

Well, stiffened by the episode with 'entitled' ladies on Wednesday, I actually intervened last night before the show  when a 30-something woman pushed to grab the toilet door ahead of people queuing with sticks. As I held the door to prevent her closing it and pointed to the notice and the queue, she replied: "Well, I need somewhere to put my contact lenses in!" She did have the grace to move away but the look she gave me said it all.

• Like 5

I will definitely look out for this lift next time I’m there on 12th Feb but by then I’m pretty sure I will be able to use the stairs more normally. 

Gosh Capybara didn’t realise people were being that rude and pushing to the head of the queue as well. That’s just plain anti social. 
In the downstairs loos there are just a few which have their own mirrors in so that would have been better for this lady though difficult when busy, There never seem to be enough toilets though.  
Recently the City Lit had a bit of refurbishment on the ground level and they have created this huge new sort of open Display/ Gallery space but the price of this is that there are now less toilets grrr! 
When I came out of the loo that day guilt nearly made me stop and explain to the man in the wheel chair why I was using it but it’s such a saga I thought better of it....didn’t want him to be late for the performance!! 

That is awful capybara. However, in defence of invisible problems I have an ex pupil (still in touch) who has suffered severe health  problems and has a colostomy bag. She is in her thirties and outwardly she is very pretty and glamorous, so nobody would guess she is disabled. I must admit if there is nobody around I will use a disabled loo, but would be super quick!

• Like 3

That's very similar to a friend of mines daughter Pas de Quatre who was only 18 when her  problems started and numerous ops later she ended up with a colostomy bag. She is tall and has done modelling as well... and the same thing ....in her mid twenties now but you would never guess she might have any problems as she is such an attractive and young person.

But she definitely wouldn't be pushing past anyone with sticks in the loo queue that's for sure.

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

On 25/01/2020 at 16:44, LinMM said:

That's very similar to a friend of mines daughter Pas de Quatre who was only 18 when her  problems started and numerous ops later she ended up with a colostomy bag. She is tall and has done modelling as well... and the same thing ....in her mid twenties now but you would never guess she might have any problems as she is such an attractive and young person.

But she definitely wouldn't be pushing past anyone with sticks in the loo queue that's for sure.

Even as a “visibly disabled” person I’m always aware that not all visibilities are visible (although the lady mentioned by Capybara doesn’t seem to fall under the “disabled” category if she was merely putting lenses in.

I never question people queuing to use the disabled loos but I have been questioned myself, usually by older people who either can’t seem to see my crutches or only look at my top half and decide that I’m too young to be disabled, as though disabled loos and parking bays are only for people over 75.  🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alison said:

Ditto with wheelchairs: I've seen the assessing "you don't appear to have any limb problems and you're young, so what are you doing in a wheelchair?" a number of times.

Haha yes, plus “You’re too young to have X” 

• Like 1

Heard yesterday at the BRB swan lake matinee- “...what there’s no singing in this then?”

please audience do not disrespect your swan queen and orchestra by:

1. Waiting for the oboe solo to start then saying loudly “...this is the most iconic piece of music.” It would be nice if we could enjoy it too.

2. waiting for the white pdd to start then eating a whole bag of sweets, each in a rustly wrapper 

3. dropping your phone in the same pdd

4. Squeezing the plastic drinks cups (these should be banned in the auditorium.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shade said:

Heard yesterday at the BRB swan lake matinee- “...what there’s no singing in this then?”

please audience do not disrespect your swan queen and orchestra by:

1. Waiting for the oboe solo to start then saying loudly “...this is the most iconic piece of music.” It would be nice if we could enjoy it too.

2. waiting for the white pdd to start then eating a whole bag of sweets, each in a rustly wrapper 

3. dropping your phone in the same pdd

4. Squeezing the plastic drinks cups (these should be banned in the auditorium.

So sorry to hear of this experience. Plastic cups should be banned in the auditorium. Funny that they should be allowed at all in this day and age when we profess to care so much about our environment. Obviously don't care to much about lakes! 

(And I wish the ROH would go back to using glasses or something which can be washed and reused!  That could save up to 3 plastic cups per person per performance.  I see Sadler's Wells are now supplying reusable plastic beakers)