Audience Behaviour

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

Frankly that’s just not fair on those of us who like the same dancers. He should be warned (by the theatres) to zip it unless actually worthy of a bravo/a/i (his command of grammar is obviously there to impress) or face some consequences. ROH can’t be pleased if it’s coming across in live streams which I assume often become DVD versions.

I think that the DVD sound-tracks are 'adjusted'!!!!

• Like 3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By way of comparison, at the Madonna concert last night the audience surrendered their phones into locked pouches on entry, opened only on leaving the venue or in designated ‘phone use’ areas away from the auditorium. As Madonna said “I’ve staged an intervention on behalf of all of us, I want you to be present tonight, I want you to be here with me.”

And we were. 100% in the moment, all attention on the stage. How refreshing. What a showwoman 👏🏻

• Like 9

7 hours ago, prs59 said:

By way of comparison, at the Madonna concert last night the audience surrendered their phones into locked pouches on entry, opened only on leaving the venue or in designated ‘phone use’ areas away from the auditorium. As Madonna said “I’ve staged an intervention on behalf of all of us, I want you to be present tonight, I want you to be here with me.”

And we were. 100% in the moment, all attention on the stage. How refreshing. What a showwoman 👏🏻

Do you mean Ray Of Light wasn’t about an iPhone’s focus assist lamp!? 📱 😮

• Like 1

Anyone run into a negative Nancy sitting next to you? I was at the ballet the other night and this woman behind me would not stop complaining about the performance ... during the performance. Everyone was "awful," numerous attempts to shush her did not work. She was so miserable I thought she'd be gone after the interval but nope she stayed, to complain some more. I wondered why she even left the house as she was determined to be miserable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ivy Lin said:

Anyone run into a negative Nancy sitting next to you? I was at the ballet the other night and this woman behind me would not stop complaining about the performance ... during the performance. Everyone was "awful," numerous attempts to shush her did not work. She was so miserable I thought she'd be gone after the interval but nope she stayed, to complain some more. I wondered why she even left the house as she was determined to be miserable.

I often wonder why some people bother to attend. If she was watching Onegin she couldn't have seen anyone who could be described as 'awful'. 

Ivy Lin's in the US, so probably not :)

I remember my first RB Swan Lake (the previous, Dowell, version), where I sat next to a woman who basically said she hated everything about the production, but sat through the whole thing anyway.

24 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I often wonder why some people bother to attend. If she was watching Onegin she couldn't have seen anyone who could be described as 'awful'. 

I live in the U.S. But bascially this isn't complaining about one thing. The curtain went up and she was complaining. It happened nonstop throughout the performance. She was just chatting with her companion DURING THE PERFORMANCE about how awful it was, like she was watching this on her TV in the living room.

57 minutes ago, Ivy Lin said:

I live in the U.S. But bascially this isn't complaining about one thing. The curtain went up and she was complaining. It happened nonstop throughout the performance. She was just chatting with her companion DURING THE PERFORMANCE about how awful it was, like she was watching this on her TV in the living room.

That would drive me round the bend Ivy.  I would have turned round and told her to shut up or get out and then reported her to the duty manager in the interval if the warning hadn't worked!

I've experienced people whingeing around me but usually it has been in the intervals fortunately.

Another bugbear about whingeing is when you are all excited because you have booked for something you haven't seen and end up being deflated by someone saying they have already seen it and its rubbish!  On the several occasions this has happened to me, I did enjoy the performances I saw!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ivy Lin said:

Yes.  I was at the Piano des Jacobins festival in Toulouse watching a recital by Nelson Goerner and the 2 men next to me did nothing but moan the whole way through and refused to clap at all.  I thought it was most disrespectful to the pianist and wanted to strangle the pair of them.  Fortunately the woman in front of us turned around and told them to button it at the end of the first half. 

I've been to things I've not enjoyed but you either leave at half time (which I've only ever done once for a really bad play) or you sit through it quietly. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I don’t post much on this forum these days but I’ve missed this thread 😄.

At R&J matinee yesterday, Juliet (Fumi Kaneko) tragically dying in the last few minutes of the performance, me pulling down my mask 😇 so my glasses don’t mist up, the chap in front of me looking at his smart watch. What the fudge! How can you be wondering what the time is at that moment?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Timmie said:

At R&J matinee yesterday, Juliet (Fumi Kaneko) tragically dying in the last few minutes of the performance, me pulling down my mask 😇 so my glasses don’t mist up, the chap in front of me looking at his smart watch. What the fudge! How can you be wondering what the time is at that moment?

Maybe he’s Mr Tickle and he’s checking her pulse 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Timmie said:

Good grief!  Reminds me of last time I saw Manon at the ROH; very expensive stalls seats but the man next to me settled into his seat as the lights dimmed for Act 1, went to sleep and was snoring gently by the time Des Grieux appeared.  Perhaps he finds Massenet soothing but I can’t help thinking it was a pricey place for a nap!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Good grief!  Reminds me of last time I saw Manon at the ROH; very expensive stalls seats but the man next to me settled into his seat as the lights dimmed for Act 1, went to sleep and was snoring gently by the time Des Grieux appeared.  Perhaps he finds Massenet soothing but I can’t help thinking it was a pricey place for a nap!

Didn't you know? This gentleman comes to the ROH to sleep. [He's a regular 'feature'!!!]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timmie said:

I find that to be an unfortunate side effect that is getting more common as "smart" watches become more prevalent. I have once sat next to a gentleman who kept checking his light-exuding watch throughout a concert.

That is part of the reason I am sticking to my "dumb" watch; dumb as it may be, it boasts the incredible feature of telling time without blinding me and people around me.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

Didn't you know? This gentleman comes to the ROH to sleep. [He's a regular 'feature'!!!]

Like “Bravo Man”? ☺️ I can’t help thinking Sleeping Man could have a nice nap at the back of Stalls Circle, rather than in Row H of the stalls! 😂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pre Covid I’ve had children kicking the back of my chair and I always say something ...as nicely as possible of course.. ..It usually does work and it stops but occasionally if the child is just too young to appreciate what’s going on it can start up again ..perhaps not as much as before ...but then I just grit teeth and bear it ...at least the parent has made an effort so best to keep on as friendly terms as possible in the end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Pre Covid I’ve had children kicking the back of my chair and I always say something ...as nicely as possible of course.. ..It usually does work and it stops but occasionally if the child is just too young to appreciate what’s going on it can start up again ..perhaps not as much as before ...but then I just grit teeth and bear it ...at least the parent has made an effort so best to keep on as friendly terms as possible in the end. 

I had a "kicking" incident on a train a few years ago when the child of about 4 accidentally kicked me.  I didn't react so he kicked me again deliberately and carried on kicking getting harder each time.  I asked him to stop and his mother took exception!  She ended up telling me to move away if I didn't like it ... even though I was in my reserved seat and she wasn't in hers because she didn't like it!

• Like 1

I’ve had to tell kids to stop kicking the back of my kids chair🤣 it drives them mad. I’ve caught them doing it a couple of times too , can happen on occasion even to diligent parents! Nothing wrong with a polite request to stop. Some parents just don’t care as long as the kids are not annoying them of course

18 minutes ago, Peony said:

I’ve had to tell kids to stop kicking the back of my kids chair🤣 it drives them mad. I’ve caught them doing it a couple of times too , can happen on occasion even to diligent parents! Nothing wrong with a polite request to stop. Some parents just don’t care as long as the kids are not annoying them of course

I have been 'bitten with retaliation' by polite requests to the extent of the exchange spoiling my evening.

At the Russian Icons, the parents were a long way away from me and the party of children behind me.

Actually that does sound rather selfish of the parents if there were a lot of children and parents sat together really should have been one on either end of row. Perhaps if they were mixed ages they thought older ones would be okay. 
Some parents are very good though and will move a younger child around so not annoying the same person all the time!! 
I can see why parents try out ballets like Nutcracker with younger children (3ish) and expect to see a number of little girls twirling their dresses around .... but not at a gala type situation as often even the stage doesn’t look interesting!! 
I guess it doesn’t always work out for granny sitting or a baby sitter but it’s an unusual 3 year old who can sit through two hours plus of gala type fare without getting restless at some point. 

A couple of weeks ago during Giselle at ROH there were a group of 3 people in front of me. Their phones went off 3 x during the first half and they were talking a bit too. I told the usher and for the second Act I was moved to some empty seats that are reserved for the company staff - right at the front of the balcony. Couldn’t believe the phones and talking - literally my jaw dropped onto the floor 😮😮 
I do have to admit to some foot stamping and cheering at the end of the performance though - I was quite excited to be there 🥰 and didn’t realise that wasn’t the done thing? Might have to tone it down for my next visit 😂

Edited by Angela Essex

2 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

A couple of weeks ago during Giselle at ROH there were a group of 3 people in front of me. Their phones went off 3 x during the first half and they were talking a bit too. I told the usher and for the second Act I was moved to some empty seats that are reserved for the company staff - right at the front of the balcony. Couldn’t believe the phones and talking - literally my jaw dropped onto the floor 😮😮😮

I hope the usher also spoke to the people involved?

• Like 1

Just now, bridiem said:

I hope the usher also spoke to the people involved?

No tbh I don’t think he did. One of the party was a wheelchair user so maybe the phone was on for medical reasons so possibly the usher felt awkward saying anything idk? Another lady in my row (row C / back row of balcony) moved in the interval too except she didn’t ask the usher. Hopefully I won’t be party to any inappropriate phone use when I go and see Nutcracker on Saturday evening 🤞🤞🤞

I went to see Romeo and Juliet this run at the ROH, it was the opening night and I think it was the first performance back with full capacity audience. 

Person I was sitting next to waited for the orchestra overture to start and promptly got their phone out and started scrolling Instagram…I just don’t understand. If you’re so bored by it all why bother coming 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

No tbh I don’t think he did. One of the party was a wheelchair user so maybe the phone was on for medical reasons so possibly the usher felt awkward saying anything idk? Another lady in my row (row C / back row of balcony) moved in the interval too except she didn’t ask the usher. Hopefully I won’t be party to any inappropriate phone use when I go and see Nutcracker on Saturday evening 🤞🤞🤞

Ushers should be trained to deal with such situations in an appropriate manner. There often wouldn't be any empty seats for people to move into after all (and phone noise/talking carries a long distance too). But yes, I hope all will be quiet for you on Saturday!

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

I do have to admit to some foot stamping and cheering at the end of the performance though - I was quite excited to be there 🥰 and didn’t realise that wasn’t the done thing?

Good for you - foot stamping etc is very much part of showing appreciation (normally at the end of the performance) should you wish and on some occasions the whole house simply reverberates.

I think the orchestra (including timpani?) have also helped ensure that Boris Gruzin gets to the rostrum and brings the orchestra to their feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

I do have to admit to some foot stamping and cheering at the end of the performance though - I was quite excited to be there 🥰 and didn’t realise that wasn’t the done thing? Might have to tone it down for my next visit 😂

IIRC, there was quite a bit of foot stamping and cheering on stage the other day :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, serenade said:

I went to see Romeo and Juliet this run at the ROH, it was the opening night and I think it was the first performance back with full capacity audience. 

Person I was sitting next to waited for the orchestra overture to start and promptly got their phone out and started scrolling Instagram…I just don’t understand. If you’re so bored by it all why bother coming 🤷🏻‍♀️

Wow, that is crazy - and unfortunately common. I saw Francesca Hayward/Alexander Campbell in Giselle on the 22nd, front row stalls circle, very close to the stage. The woman sitting next to me had her phone out and during Act 1 (and briefly in Act 2) kept snapping random pictures/videos of the corps dancing, and the pas de deux/Wilis in Act 2...presumably for her Instagram story. I was shocked as until then I naively believed that everyone adhered to the 'recording is absolutely forbidden' rule, repeated before the lights go down at every performance?

It wasn't prohibiting my view of the stage but I couldn't help noticing it. Was wondering if I should have mentioned it to an usher in the interval, but the Giselle interval seems pretty short - by the time you've visited the bathroom it's practically curtain up.

For the record, I am a part of the 'social media' influenced generation - but I am well aware that it's very inappropriate to be posting live performances on Instagram, unauthorised, when you have been explicitly asked not to do so at the Royal Opera House, of all places. Surely everyone is aware of copyright rules, or respectful behaviour at live performances in general...I believe it's fine to film curtain calls, but everything else should be prohibited unless you're a professional photographer employed for that purpose.

Also in Act 1 of La Traviata, a few weeks ago - the phone belonging to the person beside me went off 3 times, would you believe. Apparently she thought it was off, but there was some issue with the power button, as she explained during the interval. She was extremely apologetic and as it seemed to be an issue with the phone and not her fault, I didn't feel too resentful! All the same, very bad timing - very nearly interrupted Brindisi. 

I think a mandatory 'hand in your phone' policy would work well at the Royal Opera House, for those who seem to be incapable of following the rules.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I think a mandatory 'hand in your phone' policy would work well at the Royal Opera House, for those who seem to be incapable of following the rules.

I hate people using their phones inappropriately but I'd hate a hand in your phone policy even more 😄

But yes, it's very common.  I just don't understand what's so hard about sitting without using it until the interval, it's really not that long and most of the seats are not exactly cheap.  I have never had someone filming next to me thankfully....that would completely ruin it for me.  That's awful re your Giselle experience :( anything like that would completely distract me and ruin the mood!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Don't forget that now there are no.longer printed cast sheets, audiences are actually told that they can digitally access cast information before and during a performance! Not sure how you do this if you've abided by the rules and turned your phone off.

I think if you're keen enough to care about who's performing to get the casting up then probably you would actually want to just watch the performance and it wouldn't encourage you to use your phone through the performance (although who knows just my theory).  That being said not getting the printed cast sheet makes me sad, I really hate getting it on my phone.

• Like 7