Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here certainly not more than five mins anyway.

As it happened last Saturday afternoon I was so busy contacting friends after the performance etc that when I went to collect my things it had closed already!  

The staff were winding me up saying I'd have to wait another two hours etc before they opened up again!! Or ....had they gone to lost property ... Which would be a VERY complicated procedure! 

Anyway they opened up for me but I think they aim to empty and close the cloakrooms in 20 mins after performances ...though it doesn't usually take this long of course. 

Lovely to see you on Saturday Don Q sorry not more time etc.

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Same here certainly not more than five mins anyway.

As it happened last Saturday afternoon I was so busy contacting friends after the performance etc that when I went to collect my things it had closed already!  

The staff were winding me up saying I'd have to wait another two hours etc before they opened up again!! Or ....had they gone to lost property ... Which would be a VERY complicated procedure! 

Anyway they opened up for me but I think they aim to empty and close the cloakrooms in 20 mins after performances ...though it doesn't usually take this long of course. 

Lovely to see you on Saturday Don Q sorry not more time etc.

I would have assumed the cloakroom was Opened Up all the time the building is open. (I never use it myself.) Anyway I'm glad they re-opened it for you!

• Like 1

So we are at the Coli for Le Corsaire and the girl sitting in front of my vertically-challenged wife has her hair tied up in a 3 or 4 inch vertical bun right on top of her head, which is right in her sight line. Is it acceptable to lean forward and chop it off at the roots?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

So we are at the Coli for Le Corsaire and the girl sitting in front of my vertically-challenged wife has her hair tied up in a 3 or 4 inch vertical bun right on top of her head, which is right in her sight line. Is it acceptable to lean forward and chop it off at the roots?

That happened to me in Birmingham in the summer.  I wish I'd had something with me to cut the bun off - I might have got arrested if I'd just pulled it out!!

• Like 2

DH was at a show my school were participating recently. He and my cousin found themselves sitting in the dress circle behind a hairstyle as mentioned above, whose male companion had perched his glasses on top of his head. So DH has a blurred view of the stage through them. Luckily there were some spare seats so DH and cousin moved.

Perhaps we should revert to the old days when programmes carried a note asking ladies to remove their hats! Another note at the same time advertised that tea trays could be ordered and brought to patrons in their seats. Just imagine what fun that would be if the practice restarted! Unfortunately I can remember the delicate clink of teacups throughout the theatre. Think what fun that would be at the ROH!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Perhaps we should revert to the old days when programmes carried a note asking ladies to remove their hats! Another note at the same time advertised that tea trays could be ordered and brought to patrons in their seats. Just imagine what fun that would be if the practice restarted! Unfortunately I can remember the delicate clink of teacups throughout the theatre. Think what fun that would be at the ROH!

Tea might be better than the trays with red wine and two glasses that seemed popular at the cinema I went to on Sunday lunch time. I’ve decided I don’t like the smell of red wine. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jane said:

Tea might be better than the trays with red wine and two glasses that seemed popular at the cinema I went to on Sunday lunch time. I’ve decided I don’t like the smell of red wine. 

I love the smell of (good) red wine - but it's quite a strong smell, and therefore a sensory distraction when (a) my eyes and ears are meant to be focusing on a performance, and (b) I haven't chosen to have it within smelling distance.

• Like 2

Just now, bangorballetboy said:

I had a new one tonight: my neighbour head banging to the beginning of Brahms symphony number 1! Thankfully I usually close my eyes to concentrate on the music.

Perhaps he thought they were going to burst into Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody! Party on dudes!

• Like 3

The man sitting in front of me this evening had a prime seat (OS H27) and a clear view of the stage with no obstacles. However he definitely  didn’t want to be there as he fidgeted non stop throughout  and was saying goodbye to his companion  and ran out the door as soon as the curtain fell. 
Me wonders why some people bother attending at all. 

Praise is due to the chap who told off the 2 people texting at the start of the third act of Le Corsaire tonight. Thanks whoever you are for taking action.

No praise to the woman behind me who started asking her friend which of the men was the hero really loudly at the start of the piece.

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I had a new one tonight: my neighbour head banging to the beginning of Brahms symphony number 1! Thankfully I usually close my eyes to concentrate on the music.

I have sometimes felt the need to bang my head. And to close my eyes. With increasing regularity, unfortunately,  at some of the more recent productions at the ROH. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Quote from the 2 ladies behind me at the RB Sleeping Beauty tonight

"Isn't this long. When we came to see Coppelia we got 2 intervals of 30 minutes and it still finished by 10 o'clock"

What are they coming for - the intervals or the ballet???

Very similar picture next to me last night but it was obviously a special group treat so I felt they could be forgiven. Let's face it, there are longueurs in Sleeping Beauty which are, I suspect, ameliorated for regulars by our keen focus on a range of individual dancers who may, or may not, be centre stage.

• Like 6

On 09/01/2020 at 14:35, Scheherezade said:

Yes, a large hat at ENB last night too, and not a close-fitting flapper/beanie-style hat but a wide-brimmed offering that must have completely obscured the view of the people in the row behind.

Why on earth would someone keep their hat on inside?  

On 09/01/2020 at 23:20, JennyTaylor said:

Quote from the 2 ladies behind me at the RB Sleeping Beauty tonight

"Isn't this long. When we came to see Coppelia we got 2 intervals of 30 minutes and it still finished by 10 o'clock"

What are they coming for - the intervals or the ballet???

I have a certain sympathy.  I have sometimes felt that about SB myself!

As currently danced by the RB, Sleeping Beauty is never too long. I could just sit and listen to the music alone. In fact, I wish it were longer (please reinstate the Sapphire variation in Act 3!)

10 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Perhaps they've been having cancer treatment and are self-conscious about having lost all their hair?

I've seen that Taxi but the couple of times I have noticed ladies wearing hats because of hair loss they have been discrete hats and I can't see that they would have impeded anyone and they certainly didn't mine.

• Like 5

Eeew how revolting.  This is one of the reasons I never go to the cinema anymore.  I haven't been for years, and I don't miss it.  Actually, I went to see Judy in the West End on a Sunday at midday (my first foray to the cinema for many a year), and there were only about ten of us in the whole place.  Total bliss!  I will be trying the Bolshoi broadcast of Giselle on the 26th, so hopefully that will also be a civilised affair!

I only go to our local cinema now, in the mid afternoons. Often see blockbusters, even in early days of release, with only a handful of fellow movie devotees - but now only go 6-8 times a year, rather then 2-3 times a month. Otherwise, the distractions just too great. Why can't people spend approx 2 hours without having to consume enough snacks to feed the 5000? Enough pop to refloat the Titanic? The slurping and rustling just drives me bonkers! Its usually at their kneee level - i.e. right at my ears level - and almost blocks out the soundtrack. Then there's the chattering in the quiet bits - you know, the plot develpment bits. Bah! And don't get me started on the queue to buy a ticket (I often have a voucher to use, so can't use the machines outside) when one small family group often takes 10-15mins to get served all this expensive flim-flam. Mind you, I suppose all that non-sense does keep the cinema afloat and the ticket price down. I cheat - I just get a small packet of sweeties from Sainsbury at about 1/5th the cost and twice the volume!

• Like 4

Very pleased with something the conductor at ROH last night (Simon Hewett) did.  He asked the orchestra to stand for their audience acknowledgement before the prelude for act 3 of Sleeping Beauty.  As a consequence, the audience knew the performance was about to continue and so we were spared the dreadful chattering that has blighted this run so far whilst the orchestra played this prelude.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Very pleased with something the conductor at ROH last night (Simon Hewett) did.  He asked the orchestra to stand for their audience acknowledgement before the prelude for act 3 of Sleeping Beauty.  As a consequence, the audience knew the performance was about to continue and so we were spared the dreadful chattering that has blighted this run so far whilst the orchestra played this prelude.

Indeed - it made such a huge difference.  Having not seen it since mid-December, I didn't realise this was the first time it had been done.

• Like 1