Audience Behaviour

Not terribly keen on the ES rules for wannabe luvvies. I'm exceedingly unlikely to tell Ratmansky how to choreograph better, or know what director X even looks like, but creatives who wish to not overhear the hoi polloi talking amongst themselves surely can find an audience free zone to admire their master piece. 

Don't cross your arms? Huh? I'm not there to babysit the feelings of a tender soul, but even the most delicate of actors must have sat in an uncomfortable seat trying to not shove their limbs into their neighbour's kidney and perhaps understand that not everything is a reflection on their genius.

Don't get me started on the 'do eat' part. 

And I fondly remember returned theatre tickets based on reviews (from trusted sources) where hardier friends ground their teeth and went regardless - and continue hating the play for years to come. I've also learned to return some opera tickets when a particular section of Twitter gets very very excited about the production.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 7

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Coated said:

Not terribly keen on the ES rules for wannabe luvvies. I'm exceedingly unlikely to tell Ratmansky how to choreograph better, or know what director X even looks like, but creatives who wish to not overhear the hoi polloi talking amongst themselves surely can find an audience free zone to admire their master piece. 

Completely agree that 'creatives' need no protection from audience views - they've created something FOR an audience (one hopes) and need to be robust about whether or not it's worked. But I'm with capybara about not expressing very negative views loudly, especially if everyone else appears to be really enjoying it. I have to say that occasionally I have done this if I think something is so bad that I'm actually incensed about it, but I do then feel guilty; I don't want to risk spoiling the enjoyment of the people around me, which would be mean and would serve no purpose. (And now, of course, if it's a ballet I can let off steam afterwards on this forum if necessary!! Which DOES serve a purpose.)

• Like 3

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 08:47, Mary said:

So Coated, was it your voice that rang out, telling someone to Turn off the phone at the opening night of Coppelia?

Good for you for speaking out.

If it was in Stalls Circle Standing Right, I think it was me.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 18:32, capybara said:

I do agree with the "don't discuss the show at the theatre" mantra. There are patrons of the ROH (small p but might be big P too) who proclaim their views very loudly (and sometimes argumentatively) and risk spoiling the enjoyment of those around them.

One thing I really hate is when people - including people I know - take the opportunity of a 2-minute scene change, or the moment after the applause starts at the end, to say related but irrelevant things, like asking me if I saw such-and-such a cast last week or last run. Kindly let me focus on what I'm currently at, and maybe we can talk about the other casts later!

Dd and I were sat in stalls circle side on Saturday evening and the lady next to me kept talking to her partner - not only while the orchestra was playing but repeatedly during the dancing.  By the the Rose Adagio when I had missed Naghdi’s first balances by glaring at the couple, I’d had enough and hissed “Shhh”.  

I’m accustomed to elderly and seemingly hearing-impaired people talking during cinema broadcasts because I’ve only paid a few quid for my ticket, but not at the ROH.  Why can’t people watch ballet without discussing it during the performance? 😒

• Like 6

Last week there was a child (perhaps around 8-10?) at the ballet. She was frequently talking to what I assume was her mother during the performance, and the mother instead of telling her to be quiet would engage her in conversation. Sometimes from the looks of things it was often the mother starting the talking by saying something like "look there's the prince" and explaining the plot! I can understand it may be difficult sometimes for children to follow a story, but firstly most children who are interested will intuitively figure out who is who, or even if they don't they can still enjoy the performance. No one seems to want to shush a child as I suppose they don't really know they are doing anything wrong sometimes (especially if the parent is encouraging this behaviour!). But I'm wondering what would have been the best way forward - to shush, to perhaps have a quick word in an interval, or just leave it and resign yourself to these things happening now...would be interested to know what others do/think. 

To say my personal opinion, I fully support those who shush and am one myself when I identify someone close by. But in this case I felt I couldn't shush a child...but would have been grateful if someone else had! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I too have been near a mother and young daughter where it was the mother who kept initiating the conversation. I did quite a bit of glaring (at the mother!), which seemed to work eventually.

But then you have to miss part of the performance for this! Which is why I think shushing is quicker/more effective sometimes, although it does cause slightly more disturbance than glaring. Also the glares only work if you are sat in front/at the side and turn around, if you're sat behind it's really only a shush or a tap/choice words. 

10 hours ago, RuthE said:

If it was in Stalls Circle Standing Right, I think it was me.

Tag team, one for each side!. I was on SCS left that night asking a woman to switch off her mobile after she ignored several valiant attempts by people closer to her. 

5 hours ago, JNC said:

Last week there was a child (perhaps around 8-10?) at the ballet. She was frequently talking to what I assume was her mother during the performance, and the mother instead of telling her to be quiet would engage her in conversation. Sometimes from the looks of things it was often the mother starting the talking by saying something like "look there's the prince" and explaining the plot! 

That sounds quite old for that kind of behaviour on both sides.  I would expect that from a parent of a 5 year old.  Is it possible the child had learning difficulties of some sort?  Not that it makes it any less irritating, but it might explain it.

I was at the theatre once, and I remember being extremely annoyed by a woman talking constantly, describing everything that was taking place.  When I turned round to express my annoyance, I realised her companion was blind.  After that, I felt I couldn't say anything, although I still found it dreadfully off putting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fonty said:

Not that it makes it any less irritating, but it might explain it.

It might explain it, but it doesn't excuse it. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you know your child (of whatever age) might have difficulties understanding the plot, why not prepare your child - maybe for a couple of days before going - by telling them the story. Then explaining it won't e talking or singong, but they'll tell the story through their bodies. And that in order for everyone to enjoy the performance, and to become engaged and lost in the dreamworld, we all need to be quiet and focus our concentration on the stage. 

• Like 7

@Kate_N I completely agree. 

Sorry but if a child is incapable of being silent for a whole performance and appreciating it, they shouldn’t be there (same applies for an adult!). I am willing to give a child slightly more leeway on some talking, but the parent/carer should be aware of their behaviours and moderate as appropriate. In this case it was more the mother encouraging the behaviour therefore the child must have thought it was ok to talk. 

The same way if an adult’s behaviour (talking, phones etc) detracts from a performance, a child’s behaviour is similarly distracting. 

@Fonty similarly whilst I have a lot of understanding for the situation you describe, I also think this shouldn’t have occurred. I know Saddler’s Wells do audio described performances; I don’t think ROH do but even so I think talking during a performance is very disruptive - no matter how noble the cause might be. Perhaps ROH should offer audio performances, or provide audio description via headphones which would enable them to attend any performance? Although the risk of this is that the headphone noise would leak out so the controls would need to be appropriately set as to not be excessively loud. 

• Like 2

Last year at ROH for Nutcracker, sitting in the very back row of the Orchestra Stalls where I should have had a good view, I had a family with two young children - definitely school age but still young enough to sit on knees - right in front of me.  The one child in particular was passed along the relatives and sat on one knee or another all through the show.  At one point the mother moved seats so that the two girls could then sit together.  I am all for children in the theatre and maybe I have been lucky as DD has always just sat mesmerised by whatever has been on stage but it spoiled my evening.  Rant over - I have been holding this in for a year so it's time I let go!  :angry: ;)

• Like 2

Nothing worse than badly behaved parents!  A great pity, because I have been in a theatre so many times with young children in the audience, who were impeccably behaved.  

18 minutes ago, Dancing Kitty said:

Last year at ROH for Nutcracker, sitting in the very back row of the Orchestra Stalls where I should have had a good view, I had a family with two young children - definitely school age but still young enough to sit on knees - right in front of me.  The one child in particular was passed along the relatives and sat on one knee or another all through the show.  At one point the mother moved seats so that the two girls could then sit together.  I am all for children in the theatre and maybe I have been lucky as DD has always just sat mesmerised by whatever has been on stage but it spoiled my evening.  Rant over - I have been holding this in for a year so it's time I let go!  :angry: ;)

Did you actually say anything to them? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Did you actually say anything to them? 

Can recall exactly what I said but I did say all the moving around was distracting and I did get a reluctant sorry but it continued.  I kept thinking it would stop which it did for a bit then started again.  I would have asked to move if there had been any spare seats.  It was a last minute booking and DD was elsewhere and we were going to swap but I let her stay where she was.

• Like 1

Maybe for very popular performances, the ROH could put on a 'relaxed' matinee for all the people who want to make noises or move around.  Then other audience members would at least be pre-warned this might happen.  I've been lucky in that I have been amazed at how well-behaved the kids have been within my own audience experience, but maybe I'm just not noticing because once I'm drawn into a performance I do tend to shut out everything except the stage from my consciousness, and in VERY good performances I don't even notice things at the periphery of the stage - I seem to almost become part of the ballet in spirit.  My partner on the other hand is very observant of all details from audience to auditorium to scenery and minor characters.  It's interesting how different minds work. I also find if I am reading a book, once really into it I don't hear noise in the room - and almost have to be awakened from a trance-like state to be spoken to!  Does anyone else experience that?

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 13:05, maryrosesatonapin said:

Maybe for very popular performances, the ROH could put on a 'relaxed' matinee for all the people who want to make noises or move around.  

I think that 'relaxed' performances are designed to help people who, for a variety of reasons, need to move around, express themselves freely and find concentration difficult.

It's a wonderful initiative. [Incidentally, the first screening of the R&J film at Sadlers Wells was advertised as 'relaxed' and with an interval inserted.]

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:05, maryrosesatonapin said:

Maybe for very popular performances, the ROH could put on a 'relaxed' matinee for all the people who want to make noises or move around.  Then other audience members would at least be pre-warned this might happen.  I've been lucky in that I have been amazed at how well-behaved the kids have been within my own audience experience, but maybe I'm just not noticing because once I'm drawn into a performance I do tend to shut out everything except the stage from my consciousness, and in VERY good performances I don't even notice things at the periphery of the stage - I seem to almost become part of the ballet in spirit.  My partner on the other hand is very observant of all details from audience to auditorium to scenery and minor characters.  It's interesting how different minds work. I also find if I am reading a book, once really into it I don't hear noise in the room - and almost have to be awakened from a trance-like state to be spoken to!  Does anyone else experience that?

When I watch a live performance I am quite good at ignoring noises and phone flashes but get irritated by people in front of me moving about. As for reading a book, I have to have complete silence :)

• Like 1

A Royal Opera House premiere for me last night: at the end of the first interval two young ladies returned to their seats (Upper Slips) with a large glass of red wine each, along with a plastic cup of water each. They got refills in the second interval, by which time the fashion was spreading. Couldn’t see the whole row but any number of drinks were being taken, from all manner of glasses and containers. 

Given the drop from the lower row of the Upper Slips - which is where these thirsty patrons were sitting - this seems not only against the rules and discourteous to others but positively dangerous. A glass dropped from that height could do real damage. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

Did you tell an usher Geoff?

I would have done so if there was time but it all happened in the last moments before curtain up and I would have had to push past a whole row to get out. In the second interval all I could have said was to report something which had happened, rather than what was happening (I wasn’t to know they and others would return - again at the last minute - with yet more drinks).

Plenty of people saw and were near the door so could have said something but maybe there wasn’t an usher around that entrance, I didn’t see anyone (as a result my ticket wasn’t scanned).

14 minutes ago, Mary said:

Yes it can be tricky. Perhaps they need to give us all a text number as they do on the trains these days- 'If you see something that doesn't look right..text the ushers...'

!

The Royal Opera House Police...🤔 as they charge down the aisle giving it the full blues and tutus on the way to the scene of the incident 🚓 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The Royal Opera House Police...🤔 as they charge down the aisle giving it the full blues and tutus on the way to the scene of the incident 🚓 

They could borrow the costumes from the Mayerling tavern scene. :)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I would have done so if there was time but it all happened in the last moments before curtain up and I would have had to push past a whole row to get out. In the second interval all I could have said was to report something which had happened, rather than what was happening (I wasn’t to know they and others would return - again at the last minute - with yet more drinks).

Plenty of people saw and were near the door so could have said something but maybe there wasn’t an usher around that entrance, I didn’t see anyone (as a result my ticket wasn’t scanned).

It might be an idea to write to the ROH and let them know that this happened, and that they should remind the ushers that this isn't allowed as it is very disruptive and potentially dangerous.  The ushers are usually very punctilious about telling people not to have even a cast list on a ledge, nor to bring any cups/glasses into the auditorium.  This was clearly an unusual breach of procedure. 

• Like 9

From my stalls circle position last Saturday night I saw someone carrying a glass back into the auditorium and two people eating ice creams in their stalls seats.  Is this allowed now?  I know people used to be allowed to eat ice creams in the auditorium during a Welcome Performance/Paul Hamlyn Welcome Treat, but I’ve never seen it otherwise. 

All of this suggests to me that some people who attend live theatre and the cinema see it as an extension of their living room so they can and do behave as they like. My eldest daughter talks non stop over T.V. in a way she would never do and does not do in the theatre or the cinema. Perhaps people should be reminded that they are not at home and cannot behave in the way they would do there. 

• Like 4