outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone remember roughly when the applications went live last year for lower schools?  Only date I can find in thread was Sept 7th 2015 for RB F/T training.

Royal already live Southerndancemum ....... It's crazy how quickly application time comes around , I cannot remember a time when I wasn't fretting about photos and closing dates .

Royal already live Southerndancemum ....... It's crazy how quickly application time comes around , I cannot remember a time when I wasn't fretting about photos and closing dates .

On closer inspection I think it's just the dates of the auditions (phew) .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A simple question, as a newbie to all this. 

Application PHOTOS:-  Are they looking for professional photographic studio quality or clear photos taken by a parent in a dance studio setting?

I have the info on the positions and clothing but nothing else. I don't want to get it all wrong and lessen any chances because of a simple error

Any advice gratefully received. 

Thank you    :)

I done my dd's last year at home in the kitchen infront of plain wall and she got to finals in everything she applied for so it definitely doesn't need to be done by a professional as I haven't a clue about dance lol but in the studio with teacher would be ideal, that's what we done first year. Good luck ????

• Like 1

I have taken all audition photos for my students. Advice I had from an ex professional ballerina was to take the photos kneeling as it shows the lines off. Watch for dodgy shadows as it can make knees seem bent and create pot bellies where there are none!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They do take into year 9 but obviously fewer places than year 7.

I would question if any audition is ever a waste of time. If your dd is set on wanting to go to vocational school or be an associate regardless of outcome then every audition is a learning experience.

• Like 2

Thankyou. I only asked as we know someone who auditioned and they were told no places available and harder once you are requiring entry higher up the school due to their new policy of now not dropping pupils until a higher year group. DD in an associate programme now, auditions are very valuable- if you are given positive feedback, otherwise you are non the wiser of what area to work on

Sunshine girl, firstly congrats to your DD for Elmhurst Yr9 finals, that is brilliant.

FYI, last year 6 girls were called back for WL Y8 finals and one place was offered.  I'm not sure how many were called back for Elmhurst Y8 but do know that 2 of them were from the 6 that went to WL as my DD was one of those 2, it might have been 8 or 9.  Anyway, in the end only 2 places were offered for Y8 entry at Elmhurst and both of those were for boys.  However, just to be boring for those who already know (sorry), my DD was offered a place in October and started at Elmhurst 3 weeks later.  Now I know there is at least one place coming available for her year come next September when they will be Y9 so don't give up hope.  Yes, it is much harder to get a place than for Y7 but then there are fewer DC auditioning for interim years due to the dearth of places so it isn't impossible!

Keep going and keep smiling for her.  All auditions are worth doing and, as I was told by my DD's MA teacher, it is important to keep putting our talented DC in front of the schools so that, when they have a space, they will remember them and sometimes places do come this way.

Edited by dancefanatic
  • Like 4

DD getting nervous for WL audition in January- she has Elmhurst finals, but she is concerned that she is not super flexible. She can do splits all ways- but cannot bend herself in two! Her friend has told her that RBS only take the super flexible- can anyone offer any advice or expected on this?

DD getting nervous for WL audition in January- she has Elmhurst finals, but she is concerned that she is not super flexible. She can do splits all ways- but cannot bend herself in two! Her friend has told her that RBS only take the super flexible- can anyone offer any advice or expected on this?

Tell her not to worry - they aren't expected to be able to do that at the audition! RBS take whoever they like, and do look for potential and a trainable physique, but they aren't expecting super-flexible bending-in-half. Actually if you are extremely bendy it can be a disadvantage in some ways, as you have to work much harder on strength.

While flexibility is important no school expects all three splits at audition for those at year 7 as they are looking for potential - RBS made this clear at their In-sight day.  DD has been auditioning for a number of associates, SS, vocational and performance places in the last nine months with success and without a full set of splits.  DD has been been intimidated by those doing serious stretching pre-audition but thankfully now appreciates that she can get offers without this.  Good luck to those auditioning at the moment!

• Like 2