Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

well, all mds places have been taken and we definitely cant afford the bursary of 50%, needless to say, my dd is devastated. my advice to other parents is think long and hard before allowing your dc's to audition for these schools unless you really can afford to pay. the emotional upheaval that we have all experienced in the last 3months, i wouldnt wish on it on anyone.  anyway, onwards and upwards as they say. i hope my dd will get over this disappointment as soon as possible

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ebony,

we had the same experience at one of the schools last year. We did tell dc from the start what the situation was- they still wanted to try and valued the opportunity and experience.

So while it is upsetting now, and I feel for you, it's awful, it doesn't mean you made the wrong decision to try and your dd will benefit from it in the long run. These experiences of rejection and the ensuing trauma will happen again in their lives and they will be ahead of those who have never been there before. And it makes them stronger. ....

• Like 4

My DD was on the reserve list for another school and we were offered a MDS, not at Hammond but I'm sure they all operate the same and if an MDS is given up and taken elsewhere then someone else on the reserve list will get it. Don't give up hope yet :-)

• Like 3

Hi Ebony I think my dd and yours were in the same audition we are in the same boat although it is very generous of the school to offer a bursary like you we can't afford to accept. My dd s friend got offered a mds a few years ago two days before he started in September so my dd is hoping this will happen to her. If not by then I am sure she will have forgotten or be planning the next year to audition. Good luck but I think the ride isn't over yet for some.

• 2 months later...

Having recently had my eyes opened to vocational schools - I didnt know they existed until the last year or so, and until DD's ballet teacher suggested she auditioned for the RB JAs (one of the many that got a no) I hadnt really given them much thought.

What I know has expanded greatly from lurking for a few months but there is still an awful lot I feel very out of my depth with.

DD is coming up for 8 so i know options are starting to open up for her now and we are looking at what will best help her in the future. 

So my questions for now - what voactional school are there (i assume they are all age 11+?)

How do you go about auditioning? do you have to be reccommended by your dance school?

Are they all ones you have to pay for?

Is there anything else anyone would reccommend?

Edited by JulieW
Edited to sort out font size
  • Like 1

I recommend reading www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk and search for gifted and talented.

It explains the schools that award Music and Dance Scheme (MDS) and also has a list of other schools that take from 11 years. Eg Italia Conti.

There are many more establishments that take from post 16, frequently the subject of intense discussion on Ballet.co.

I recommend letting her do Brownies instead....

Or be prepared to need copious bottles of wine, or chocolate...

And start doing the lottery too!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 11

Welcome to the forum southerndancemum - normally you apply to the vocational school direct when your child is in year 6 for them to start in year 7. All are fee paying but the MDS scheme helps some but not all successful applicants.Usually it also means your child boarding, unless you happen to live close to a school to make commuting possible. I second hfbrew's reccommendations for reading and would also say to you that your DD is still very young and a lot can change in the space of a few years. Entry at year 7 is based far more on their potential than their achievements so keep enjoyment as your DD's top priority for now.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Southerndancemum :)

Good advice so far - just keep reading the forum - go back to previous pages on Doing Dance - and you'll learn as you go.  Don't expect to know everything all at once - it's easy to think that everyone knows more than you when you read comments here, but we were all new to it once!

• Like 4

Personally, I think it is best to audition for year 7 when looking for schools, purely because it is much easier and less competitive. There is also a much higher chance that you will get in and usually if you get in at year 7 you don't have to pay full fees.

At the Royal Ballet in England my fees were lowered because we couldn't afford the full price. It says on the website that if you can't afford to pay full price school fees can be lowered.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just wondered if any of the vocational schools accept child care vouchers for the boarding element of the fees? I know that a lot of the top public schools are and just wondered if this had been extended to any dance schools. Thanks for any advice anyone may have to offer.

• Like 1

Just wondered if any of the vocational schools accept child care vouchers for the boarding element of the fees? I know that a lot of the top public schools are and just wondered if this had been extended to any dance schools. Thanks for any advice anyone may have to offer.

I asked this question when my DD was at WL and they said no. Sorry. LTD

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that if you are unsure about auditioning your DD/DS this year as they might not be ready then my advice would be to give it a go.  We learnt so much from the audition process in 2013/14 and we now know we were absolutely under prepared.  

We learnt disappointment,

We learnt the competition is very very tough

We learnt you sometimes have to have a dance solo, singing solo and drama piece up your sleeve and it needs to show potential not be totally refined

We learnt it is a very expensive process

We learnt the photos need to be done very soon (like now),

We met some very lovely friends along the way, but we also met some pushy parents and we came up against the competitive warm up!  

We learnt to wear the right leotard for her, simple lines, colours and bottom coverage

For some schools your body shape does matter but for others it doesn't

We learnt MDS usually go to year 7s (usually not always) so you stand a better chance in year 7

We learnt that a couple of private lessons by an experienced teacher would have helped DD a lot

In the end we have lots of lovely, funny, tired, nervous and exciting times travelling around the country which I would never change for one moment.  You both end up much wiser!

DD is currently tucked up in bed at vocational school and besides a little homesickness this week-end is living the dream! 

:)

• Like 33

Very wise words. If there was a button for really, really, really like Id have pressed it!

Only yesterday I had a mum adamant that her daughter had all the necessary requirements to go to the Royal Ballet and it is obvious she really doesnt realise how stiff the competition is. But you really do have to experience the process to appreciate how tough it is. But with an open minded approach it can be enjoyable too!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We are just at the very beginning of this journey and I was wondering if anyone could advise on the best age for vocational school? Year 7 seems very young but are you less likely to find a place in year 9. Cost would be a major issue for us and my initial feeling is the later the better but I don't want my daughter to miss out if the potential is there, a big if I realise

It does depend on the school & even the year.

I believe that all places at Royal & most at Elmhurst are funded through MDS & year 7 places are filled. Additional places higher up the school only become available if a child is assessed out.

At dds school there is more flexibility in terms of numbers but they have less funded places. When dd joined year 7 they were under subscribed but this years year 7 is larger I am told. However most funded places are given to Year 7s so although it is possible to join the school later (there have been several new children join her year, they often haven't been given an MDS.

Next year may be different & there may not be many additional places for new year 8/9/10 but others may move on

The upshot is that if going away to school is nit right for your child then they won't be happy & get the most out of the opportunities. There is more than one path to Rome so there is no harm in waiting until Year 9 as long as you can access good quality classes at home & supplement with workshops/associate schemes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A reminder to everyone from now on to please keep this "sticky" thread for particular questions and answers regarding auditions. It makes it easier for people to find relevant info. Many thanks.