Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Probably best not to say when or where, but dd and I once saw a perfect demonstration of why no one should be fooled or intimidated by pre-audition competitive stretching. It is honestly no indication of anything!

I felt thoroughly foolish once for taking dd to an audition, when a competitive stretcher parked herself confidently next to dd and embarked on a vigorous and elaborate routine with a thera band.

During the last 15 minutes of the audition where parents could watch, it transpired that flexibility is not automatically accompanied by strength, musicality, artistic ability etc... What a revelation that was for the clearly very naive ballet taxi mother!

• Like 7

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During the last 15 minutes of the audition where parents could watch, it transpired that flexibility is not automatically accompanied by strength, musicality, artistic ability etc... What a revelation that was for the clearly very naive ballet taxi mother!

I will totally agree with you on that one. Social Media not helping either with endless images of very young girls exhibiting over splits, tilts and whatever they call the most recent popular 'trick'. Missing out on the importance of good solid technique and musicality.   ;)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's birmingham MA/WL audition for my dd next Wednesday (25th). My dd would love MAs as she's so loved her time as a JA but we were told there are only a few places and a lot of applicants. Nervous for her but think will be like a normal JA class so hopefully she'll just enjoy the experience. Good luck all. Wine, gin and chocolate will be all be required at some point over the coming weeks no doubt! ????

• Like 1

Anyone know when the first results start to appear from preliminary lower school WL auditions? Do they come out in date order of venue or all out together once the auditions have finished? Sorry- very new to all of this!

Hi Emily12 usually within 2 weeks and they usually come out in venue order. After finals it's usually just days for results.

Good luck x

Just wanted to wish all the dance mums and Dc good luck in your up and coming auditions. I went through it last year with my DD and was a nervous wreck. fast forward a year and both her and her JA friends seem very happy with their respective outcomes.There were a mix of children accepting places at various vocational schools to Mid associate places. With another choosing a more musical theatre route.There was also a lot of movement on reserve lists so it's not necessarily the end of the rd if the first letter isn't a straight yes, particularly with MA places.Despite missing my daughter terribly she really does seem very happy , always busy and full of interesting snippets of her day to tell me . I definately feel I made the right decision letting her go. I look forward to reading your journeys and look forward to meeting some of you next September ! Best of luck xxx

• Like 3

What a lovely story and so many talented DC! You must be extremely proud of your DD. It's lovely to hear all the different experiences- good & bad. Like everyone says- if it's a no, then maybe it's just- a not right now... well see what the next few weeks bring. All the best of luck to the children auditioning this week!!

Hi ArucariaBallerina. My DD auditioned on 11th in Bath and no email yet, talk about stressfull it's bad enough waiting 1 week let alone 2 weeks. I think the last auditions are this week so should start hearing in the next day or two - hopefully. Good luck to all who are waiting. Xx

Last year I got the email from the Bath auditions at approx 5:30pm when out at a friend's who had just asked me when were the results in. I checked my phone to find it has just arrived and then had to get her to read the email as I couldn't believe what I was reading - my DD had been called back for finals, totally unexpected as she only did the audition for practice, already being an MA. So still lots of time left before they may start coming out...

Hi I'm new to this forum , and quite new to the ballet world altogether , my daughter has finals at elmhurst any idea on how many reach finals ? We are still waiting to hear from White lodge I am a bag of nerves and a friend recommended this site to me to share trauma ;) my daughter too is very anxious too . Thanks in advance

Thank you after attending SS my DD is now desperate to go to one of the vocational schools ,her dance school is a fun happy environment but it seems to be just a hobby to most . So holding out every hope . Good luck

To any others in the same boat. I feel it's so much to take it learning about different schools MDMAS and dar dars. I have no personal dance experience so can't tell myself how she is doing they all look fabulous to me in her ja class.

It was 6 girls in total so there were 5 disappointed girls but one of those 5 is now at Elmhurst.  I don't know ref the boys as my DD was one of the 6 Y8 girls last year up at WL for Final days.  I think there may be as many as 3 Y9 girls places possibly available at Elmhurst for this coming September but I also know they don't always fill the spaces if they don't see exactly what it is they're looking for.