Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, my DS has been lucky enough to be asked to attend for second auditions at Elmhurst and Hammond and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happens at the second auditions ??

Do they take the form of normal ballet classes again for Elmhurst and WL ? and/or do the children have to prepare new dance solos / vocal solos etc for Tring & Hammond funding auditions ? - also are the children interviewed at any time ?

Thankyou v much

Well done to your DS Ballet4boyz!

I don't have any experience with Hammond but with other 3 schools No More solos needed. Tring finals are much simpler then preliminary - just a ballet class (1 hour long ish) and physio assessment for some.

Elmhurst is again 1,5 h long ballet class plus physio assessment for everybody. No interviews or tests.

At WL preliminary auditions there is just a 1,5h long ballet class. At finals there will be ballet class, written test (about hobbies, family, pets etc), physio and interview (why do you want to get to WL? Do you think you'll be home sick? Tell me about your hobbies, family, pets etc).

That's what I remember from last year. Hope it helps!

Also during Elmhurst and WL finals you will have a chance to see the school (including boarding facilities).

Edited by Happymum

Hi everyone, my DS has been lucky enough to be asked to attend for second auditions at Elmhurst and Hammond and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happens at the second auditions ??

Do they take the form of normal ballet classes again for Elmhurst and WL ? and/or do the children have to prepare new dance solos / vocal solos etc for Tring & Hammond funding auditions ? - also are the children interviewed at any time ?

Thankyou v much

The funding audition at Hammond is much the same as it is at Tring. They go for the morning (you just drop off) From what I can remember, there is a ballet class, a free movement class, and a musical theatre class. When awarding Mds, they are looking for potential in classical ballet.

How did it go those auditioned today at Tring?

We are just getting ready for tomorrow morning, excitement in our house at the first audition finally being here.

And was it tights or socks??? :)

I was there with my son today. The traffic on the M25 was absolutely awful and only some judicious flouting of posted speed limits saw us arrive at 9am. If he gets called back for a funding audition I will consider staying nearby the night before.

We had a tour of parts of the school after a brief address by the principal and staff where they were keen to emphasise their academic record.

My son was one of 3 boys and wore tights. There were 9 or 10 girls I think and I haven't asked him what they wore. He probably wouldn't have noticed anyway ;)

Apparently the audition went fine.

Hope this is of some use

Neil

• Like 3

Thanks - DD did enjoy herself at the audition today! 

Luckily we arrived with half hour to spare (all the traffic on M25 was going the OTHER way) - it seemed a fairly small group, about 6 girls and 5 boys? 

She said the lunch was good (pasta with tomatoes) and she didn't really know what she was doing in the 'Modern' class but she has never done 'Modern' before so no biggie.

And the stretch assessment (for which we had been envisaging lots of pulling and prodding) was very basic, box splits, upright and lying forward, seated forward bend, and lying on backs pulling legs towards themselves. 

She came out smiling, which is the main thing. Ten days wait they said.

Glad we have got the first one out of the way.

Edited to add - and they all wore tights apparently  :)

Edited by amos73

It's lovely to hear news but can I please ask that we keep this thread for questions relating to auditions - it was pinned so it's easy for people to find information.

If you'd like to discuss the auditions please start a new thread. Thanks everyone (and good luck)

• Like 1

It's lovely to hear news but can I please ask that we keep this thread for questions relating to auditions - it was pinned so it's easy for people to find information.

If you'd like to discuss the auditions please start a new thread. Thanks everyone (and good luck)

Congratulations to those dancing children through to finals! :-)

May I echo JulieW above and ask you to post news here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10533-lower-school-auditions-2016/ so that this thread remains for non-year-specific *questions* - it makes it easier for people to find information in the future. I have moved all posts regarding today's results into the "lower school auditions 2016" thread.

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...