Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Thank you happymum, it is an ordeal and a lot to take in!! It's so disheartening being offered a place but not secure funding but dd is soo excited about going to auditions again I think it's just me that's dreading it lol ????

And I do actually have a question....is Elmhursts office staff in over the holidays? Should I send dd's application in now or wait till after the summer holidays?? Thanks x

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just ask what peoples opinions are on auditioning for a place starting in year 8? Seeing as most schools don't assess out in year 8 now I can't imagine there being any places available, so this makes me wonder if there is any point or should we just hold off till year 9? (That said my dd loves auditions so she will be applying, so I'm only asking for idol curiosity really I suppose)

Can I just ask what peoples opinions are on auditioning for a place starting in year 8? Seeing as most schools don't assess out in year 8 now I can't imagine there being any places available, so this makes me wonder if there is any point or should we just hold off till year 9? (That said my dd loves auditions so she will be applying, so I'm only asking for idol curiosity really I suppose)

There will always be a few who decide to leave vocational training of their own accord or through injury etc, so it is always worth trying, and the experience of the audition will make it seem less daunting the next time!

• Like 1

At dds school no one left in either year 7 or year 8 but they still took/are about to take a couple of new children although I don't think there were any MDS places for those new children (I may be wrong there though)

Sometimes if a school likes you they will find a place & done schools don't have a fixed number of places anyway but are a bit more flexible. If for example there are several day students there may be spare beds.

So it's always worth a try.

• Like 1

There are 2 new children joining my DD's year at school this coming September (going into year 8).  There was also one girl who left DD's school at the end of year 7 a couple of weeks ago....so there is always the possibility of places and it's definitely worth auditioning again :)  

• Like 1

We thought long and hard about allowing our DD to reaudition for year 8 after the bitter disappointment of making RBS and Elmhurst finals and not even gaining a MA place. In the end we left it up to her knowing the slim chance of getting a place in year 8. She was offered a place at vocational school from a preliminary audition and joined the school after Easter in year 7 so places do become available.

• Like 2

Lovely to hear some positive stories, dd can't wait to audition again this year and took last years results of 3 finals and one offer as a positive and just says she has to work harder this year enough to impress enough for funding, bless her spirit!! Thanks everyone x

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There were definitely some in November, 18th or 19th perhaps. But I have a feeling some were even earlier. If you phone up, the admissions lady was absolutely lovely and very accommodating when I was trying to ensure I could take my dd on my non working day. Good luck!

Hello there, wise ones

I would love your advice about applying for voc school for year 11 (dd is 14)

Thoughts, ideas,experience?

We live in France and so GSCE's are not an issue, although I have read that there is probably no chance as students are not assessed out yr 10/ yr 11

Is it worth it for 1 year and then re-audition for 6th form places?

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately gcses would be a consideration as if your child attends school in the UK they have to legally provide an education which meets government guidelines which means GCSEs or equivalent. The school would not be able to allow your dd to do nothing during academic time tabling which is a big part ofvthe day still.

You are correct in that no school assesses out after Year 10. Some schools without a set amount of places may have places but your dd would have to do academics.