THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT

Guest oncnp

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only say I'm disappointed with the new 21/22 rep. Nothing happy in it like La Fille Mal Gardee, Don Quixote, Coppelia or even Jewels. I really don't understand their reasoning. Instead there's at least 3 full lengths all with sad endings. (Ignoring the RB version of Nutcracker which I don't like). We need uplifting ballets not sad tales after the year we've had. I'm afraid there's nothing there to make me risk travelling to London. 

• Like 8

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Also from the Times, Kevin O'Hare expects every ballet production next season will be either streamed or shown in cinemas.

Thank you! 'Was wondering about this as I don't know what the foreign travel restrictions will be. 

26 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Can only say I'm disappointed with the new 21/22 rep. Nothing happy in it like La Fille Mal Gardee, Don Quixote, Coppelia or even Jewels. I really don't understand their reasoning. Instead there's at least 3 full lengths all with sad endings. (Ignoring the RB version of Nutcracker which I don't like). We need uplifting ballets not sad tales after the year we've had. I'm afraid there's nothing there to make me risk travelling to London. 

Sorry to hear that. To be fair Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Giselle and Romeo and Juliet are all incredibly popular ballets. Even if some of the storylines are sad, I still find going to see live ballet an uplifting experience.

There's also the two programmes for the summer still to be announced - maybe they will contain happier choices?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

More tickets for everyone else then.  Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet and The Nutcracker will sell out and Giselle will probably too.  Given how much the ROH will need money in the coffers, beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 5

Don't forget the "works by Ashton" - probably in a Triple Bill which could be more exciting for some of us than the three-acters.

I agree with BBB that there are many considerations in play here, not least the financial ones. But I can't quite square the number of new works with that imperative. Maybe contracts had been entered into ahead of the pandemic which must be fulfilled.

I guess that the late opening date for booking is against the possibility that, by then, it might be possible to accommodate more than half an audience and/or that many staff will still be on furlough until August.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, capybara said:

Don't forget the "works by Ashton" - probably in a Triple Bill which could be more exciting for some of us than the three-acters.

Exactly what I was thinking as I re-read the statement!

1 minute ago, capybara said:

I agree with BBB that there are many considerations in play here, not least the financial ones. But I can't quite square the number of new works with that imperative. Maybe contracts had been entered into ahead of the pandemic which must be fulfilled.

The Dante Project and Like Water for Chocolate were already commissioned and had been announced previously.  I imagine you're right about others having been commissioned too.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

I guess that the late opening date for booking is against the possibility that, by then, it might be possible to accommodate more than half an audience and/or that many staff will still be on furlough until August.

What is the booking date, capybara? I can't find it at the moment. 

Well, other than the McGregor and the Wheeldon (which I just can't get excited about, sorry), the list of ballets exactly overlaps with the ones I have seen the most often, both at the ROH and elsewhere. Beautiful yes, and they will sell out. But not a list this beggar would have chosen. I agree with everyone hoping for something upbeat or unexpected.

My own personal fantasy is for the Royal Ballet to do a Mark Morris work. The fact that it is so far from a realistic idea in no way negates my enjoyment of the dream.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Well, other than the McGregor and the Wheeldon (which I just can't get excited about, sorry), the list of ballets exactly overlaps with the ones I have seen the most often, both at the ROH and elsewhere. Beautiful yes, and they will sell out. But not a list this beggar would have chosen. I agree with everyone hoping for something upbeat or unexpected.

My own personal fantasy is for the Royal Ballet to do a Mark Morris work. The fact that it is so far from a realistic idea in no way negates my enjoyment of the dream.

Not sure why it should be an unrealistic idea, Candleque - the RB performs so much contemporary work now, and Morris is actually quite balletic compared to many others. I prefer trained ballet dancers to dance mainly ballet rather than contemporary, but if they're going to do contemporary Morris would be my number one choice!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Not a total fantasy.  I remember the Royal Ballet doing a Mark Morris Ballet around 19/20 years ago....

....just looked it up: Gong in 2002:

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/work.aspx?work=253&row=7&letter=G&genre=Ballet&

Edited to add that the first night cast included Darcey Bussell, Alina Cojocaru, Marianela Nuñez and Edward Watson. 

Edited again.  I've just managed to find the link to the ballet.co.uk reviews for this bill, which included Wheeldon's Tryst and Ek's Carmen.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030109034932/http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/3119.html

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

Just now, Bluebird said:

Not a total fantasy.  I remember the Royal Ballet doing a Mark Morris Ballet around 19/20 years ago....

....just looked it up: Gong in 2002

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/work.aspx?work=253&row=7&letter=G&genre=Ballet&

I'd forgotten about this! I see from my records that I saw it twice at the time, but (clearly!) I don't really remember it.

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

This too was my immediate first reaction to the announcement Don Q Fan! I am really excited by the season as getting all of these big full length works back on stage in just one season will definitely fulfil those of us who have felt starved of ballet for so long! However - I wish they would open with Fille or something bright to welcome us all back into the House. It's been a crazy and depressing time and I think something bouncy and happy would have really helped. Instead, we're being given Dante..not exactly a barrel of laughs. I'm looking forward to that and the new Wheeldon nonetheless.

What excites me about SL, Giselle, R&J and Nut is the casting. Although the big names will be needed to draw in the finances I guess, I'll be holding my breath for some exciting debuts...

Edited by ToThePointe
  • Like 6

Well, they are certainly rolling out all the usual big sellers, but as I love all of them I am very happy about it.  Yes, something sunny like DonQ or Coppelia or Fille would have been lovely, but I agree with DanJL above...no matter how sad or tragic, for me the beauty of the performance is what makes me happy, even if I am weeping at the end!  I just hope that all the scheduled debuts for Swan Lake that didn't happen last year will happen in the new season.  

I will be interested to see which of the Ashton ballets they are putting on;  I wonder why they haven't announced them?  Maybe they are still deciding.

I can't say the prospect of the new McGregor and Wheeldon makes me jump for joy, but I am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised as with Woolf Works and Winter's Tale...my mind is open!

I wish the dancers all the best of luck in regaining their stamina and stage practice for a demanding new season.  I am sure they will;  they are all raring to go, having lost and wasted a year of their careers.  

• Like 11

The Culture Whisper interview with Kevin O'Hare says

"The Royal Ballet founder choreographer, Frederick Ashton, is remembered with a triple bill:

Scènes de Ballet, Month in the Country and Rhapsody. Both Scènes de Ballet and Rhapsody we haven’t seen for quite a while, and I think we definitely have the dancers to do those ballets justice, and I’m really looking forward to that.’ "

https://www.culturewhisper.com/r/dance/the_royal_ballet_season_2021_22/16242

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

"The Royal Ballet founder choreographer, Frederick Ashton, is remembered with a triple bill:

Scènes de Ballet, Month in the Country and Rhapsody. Both Scènes de Ballet and Rhapsody we haven’t seen for quite a while, and I think we definitely have the dancers to do those ballets justice, and I’m really looking forward to that.’ "

Brilliant! I wonder why they didn't put that in the press release?!

• Like 5

I was rather hoping for Mayerling before R&J but I can understand that the latter will probably sell better even though they've done it more recently. How many performances of the "standard" rep I'll see will depend on the casting (& the covid rates). I won't be seeing the new works, as Macgregor is not to my taste choreographically and, having looked up the plot of Like Water For Chocolate I don't fancy seeing it as a ballet, nor would I want to read the novel for that matter.

I can't say the opera side of the season excites me much. I know they need to get bums on seats but six sopranos in Traviata seems ridiculous, especially as there were four casts in the 2019-20 season.

Like many here, I was also wishing for comfort in the form of sunny Fille., but I'm sure it won't be too long until it returns to Covent Garden.

In order for the company to regain stamina for Swan Lake, Giselle and Nutcracker will give the company a good 'warm-up, ' so their inclusion make sense.

I hope Tombeaux isn't forgotten. It was supposed to be revived last May or June. The title is not cheery, but it's a beautiful piece.

It looks like we will have to wait for the centenaries of Les Biches (1924) and Les Noces (1923) for any chance of seeing those again.

Will the redesigned Cinderella (or as Jeanette suggested, back to the 60s designs- for me the costumes especially) now be on the cards for 2022/23, I wonder?

I hope Wheeldon creates fabulous roles for Hayward, Sambé and the whole company.

Fingers crossed all goes ahead now as planned.

Edited by Darlex

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Can only say I'm disappointed with the new 21/22 rep. Nothing happy in it like La Fille Mal Gardee, Don Quixote, Coppelia or even Jewels.

All of which have proved difficult to shift tickets for initially in recent years - with the possible exception of Coppelia, but that was only last season. That may have entered into the equation.

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

Fabulous. That's me sorted then!!!!!!!! What a terrific triple though I suppose if I wanted to be really picky I could have wished for Les Rendezvous rather than Rhapsody as (despite what Kevin says) it's not that long since we saw Rhapsody with Two Pigeons. I love it but as it's available on dvd already I'd have liked something not available (I'm being optimistic here and assuming there will be a dvd as the only recording I know of Month in the Country features Dowell. It's wonderful of course but I would love one with Vadim. He was so terrific when we saw him.) You can keep your Wheeldon and Macgregor. That's all I want to see. Every night if possible!! 

Also want to see the Swan Lake debuts I missed and debuts in Giselle and possibly Romeo. I suppose it's too much to hope Fille will somehow find it's way into summer programming? I mustn't be too greedy!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Exactly...my eyes went to that. So which Ashtons? Edited- we now know. Fine!

No Cinderella, Fille or Sylvia. Sigh...beggars can’t be choosers. :)

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

Just in case any programme planners read our offerings I would like to put in a plea for several of the Ashton triple to be programmed concurrently. One of our favourite recent ballet experiences was for Terry and myself to see 3 consecutive performances of the Firebird triple in summer 2019 (including Month in Country and Symphony in C). We saw Vadim twice in Month in the Country and once in Symphony in C and it was heaven. Fabulous performances by everyone. When you live a distance away as we do it's expensive to keep travelling backwards and forwards on top of the hotel bills. It's great if you can see performances in a block. If the cinema broadcast could be a different time even better. Then I can take my usual friends to the cinema and enjoy it there as well. When they show the Ashton triple I want Terry and myself to have a few days in London and CELEBRATE IN STYLE!

On a different note if Kevin wants to have modern choreographers why doesn't he nurture his home-grown talent and commission Valentino Zucchetti again? I was so impressed with the Pennefather films and also the modern piece we saw on WBD. He has a great talent and someone whose choreography I would love to pay and see.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, alison said:

All of which have proved difficult to shift tickets for initially in recent years - with the possible exception of Coppelia, but that was only last season. That may have entered into the equation.

Not to mention that they may have some sort of "no compete" agreement with Acosta with regard to his Don Quixote.  After all, it might take the wind out of BRB's sails somewhat if the Royal were doing it at a similar time.

Come to think of it, it might be nice if both companies and ENB had held a consultation and tried to divvy the "big works" out among them a bit.  All will be needing to fill their coffers, and programming clashes might adversely affect their income.

• Like 1

Really love that Ashton Triple and hoping to see some debuts in SwanLake that were missed last April. Also the Dante Project a chance to see Ed Watson again. 
And never tire of Giselle so am feeling pretty happy about the next season. 

• Like 1