THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT

Guest oncnp

I liked the Walker designs too.  They represent my purple years of seeing the Royal Ballet during the 80s and early 90s.  I was lucky enough to see Sibley and Dowell twice.  Both shows were totally magical.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 2

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I liked the Walker designs too.  They represent my purple years of seeing the Royal Ballet during the 80s and early 90s.  I was lucky enough to see Sibley and Dowell twice.  Both shows were totally magical.

Sibley with Wall was also magical 

• Like 1

Those nostalgic for Sibley and Dowell in Cinderella (with the Walker designs; not to mention Ashton as the timid stepsister, with the far from timid Helpmann) may consider buying the newly released DVD recorded in December 1969. For anyone reluctant to use Amazon I got it for £12.59, post-free, from Hive Books.

The standard of dancing is very high; although it's commonplace to comment on how much higher technical standards are nowadays, the quality of the dancing and the truly Ashtonian style would be hard to equal.

• Like 6

I’ve not seen Cinderella on stage and have only watched the very poor quality (recording not dancing!) Fonteyn filmed for TV version. 

Was the Fonteyn version the ‘full’/proper ballet? I’d be tempted to check out the Sibley/Dowell DVD but I didn’t enjoy the Fonteyn version so I’d be intrigued to know how different the Fonteyn filmed for TV version was with regards to deviating from the one performed in the ROH?

re the 2021/22 season I’m absolutely delighted. Some big classics, hopefully lots of exciting casting for R&J, two new full premieres and a dreamy Ashton triple! It would have been nice to see a few more triple bills and as others have lamented Fille would have been lovely to see for the happy tone but overall I’m just happy to get back into seeing live ballet with such a blockbuster set of hits coming! Ultimately the season will be a success and I do think there’s something for everyone. Hopefully the 22/23 season will give more opportunity for increased variety and revivals of lesser-known/shown programming. (I’m sure many will disagree but I’d be happy to not see a big MacMillan ballet like Manon/R&J/Mayerling for a few years in favour of more Balanchine, Ashton and shorter MacMillan works.) 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Those nostalgic for Sibley and Dowell in Cinderella (with the Walker designs; not to mention Ashton as the timid stepsister, with the far from timid Helpmann) may consider buying the newly released DVD recorded in December 1969. For anyone reluctant to use Amazon I got it for £12.59, post-free, from Hive Books.

The standard of dancing is very high; although it's commonplace to comment on how much higher technical standards are nowadays, the quality of the dancing and the truly Ashtonian style would be hard to equal.

I love Sibley in this !.....not so keen on the overblown performances of the ugly sisters.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Not sure I understand the point being made here.  

The point is that some things are better left to the audience's imagination. Nowadays, many over-complicated scenic and lighting effects are used all too often, possibly to hide weak choreography. I feel it's fine 'in this day and age' to have the pumpkin thrown into the wings and seconds later to see the coach emerge. I understand from your post that you would disagree. 

1 minute ago, Darlex said:

The point is that some things are better left to the audience's imagination. Nowadays, many over-complicated scenic and lighting effects are used all too often, possibly to hide weak choreography. I feel it's fine 'in this day and age' to have the pumpkin thrown into the wings and seconds later to see the coach emerge. I understand from your post that you would disagree. 

The point I make, though, is that it's not left to your imagination.  The coach appears from one set of wings and a moment later the fairy godmother throws the pumpkin into the other set of wings.  There is no suggestion whatsoever, in my mind, that the pumpkin has transformed into a coach.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

The point I make, though, is that it's not left to your imagination.  The coach appears from one set of wings and a moment later the fairy godmother throws the pumpkin into the other set of wings.  There is no suggestion whatsoever, in my mind, that the pumpkin has transformed into a coach.

I can't remember the 2004 production precisely, so I'd like to have a look at this older one instead, which more than satisfies me. Circa 2.00 minutes, Fairy Godmother blesses pumpkin with MAGIC wand and instructs Cinderella to place pumpkin in SPECIAL place. Then, after about two minutes of wonderful dancing, the backdrop lifts up, disappearing to reveal the pumpkin transformed into a coach, transporting a transformed Cinderella off to the ball.

I can't see it mentioned in this thread so sorry if it's already been covered.

Tucked away in the Ashton Triple page in the Friends' Season Guide is the following:

Insight: Ashton Rediscovered

The 10th anniversary of the Ashton Foundation is marked with an unmissable Insight into the genius of Ashton. Find out more about the master choreographer's work and legacy in an evening of live performance and specially commissioned film.

Monday 25th October at 7.15pm

Linbury Theatre 

I very much hope this is streamed.

• Like 11

You just beat me to it Lizbie 1. I was just thinking the Friends season guide had nothing that wasn't on the website (less really, as there were no performance dates in the programme) when I noticed the Ashton Insight evening mentioned on the triple bill page. Slightly odd it is in October when the performance isn't until April but I assume the date is to coincide with the  Ashton Foundation celebrations and I'm still hoping for another Insight for the actual triple bill. With just a quick look I couldnt initially see any other mentions of Insights so I'm hoping they just haven't been programmed yet rather than there won't be any and, like Lizbie1, I hope this Insight will be streamed. However, when I got to Like Water for Chocolate I noticed there were 4 insight nights devoted to this! In my opinion someone has got their priorities wrong!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Darlex said:

I can't remember the 2004 production precisely, so I'd like to have a look at this older one instead, which more than satisfies me. Circa 2.00 minutes, Fairy Godmother blesses pumpkin with MAGIC wand and instructs Cinderella to place pumpkin in SPECIAL place. Then, after about two minutes of wonderful dancing, the backdrop lifts up, disappearing to reveal the pumpkin transformed into a coach, transporting a transformed Cinderella off to the ball.

Hi Darlex, unfortunately the Mods have had to delete the video link as it doesn't comply with AUP for copyright reasons.  That said, the transformation scene as you describe it is significantly more satisfying artistically than what happens in the 'current' RB production.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Hi Darlex, unfortunately the Mods have had to delete the video link as it doesn't comply with AUP for copyright reasons.  That said, the transformation scene as you describe it is significantly more satisfying artistically than what happens in the 'current' RB production.

Oh apologies for posting the YouTube link. I was getting carried away making a point! Thank you Mods for deleting the video and not the whole post. Glad to hear that you, BangorBalletBoy, find the old production transformation scene more satisfying than the most recent incarnation.

I do hope the stars regain their beautiful blue tutus. I would be happy if the RB danced Cinderella in David Walker's designs again. 

17 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I can't see it mentioned in this thread so sorry if it's already been covered.

Tucked away in the Ashton Triple page in the Friends' Season Guide is the following:

Insight: Ashton Rediscovered

The 10th anniversary of the Ashton Foundation is marked with an unmissable Insight into the genius of Ashton. Find out more about the master choreographer's work and legacy in an evening of live performance and specially commissioned film.

Monday 25th October at 7.15pm

Linbury Theatre 

I very much hope this is streamed.

Maybe worth starting an early campaign. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 11:52, SheilaC said:

I was fortunate enough to attend an event when Antoinette Sibley gave a talk to the friends of BRB.  Had I not been a huge fan of hers before that talk I sured would have been, in spades, after it.

She elected to stand for the full event to make sure everyone could see her properly.  Added to that she talked so adoringly about Ashton, how she loved working with him and dancing his works.

She spoke particularly warmly about Cinderella (along with The Dream and Scenes de Ballet) and her real feeling for the works were was absolutely shining out of her.

I fully endorse Sheila's comment about the reissued DVD.  As she says, such a wonderful example of the Ashton style danced by absolute masters of it.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Darlex said:

Oh apologies for posting the YouTube link. I was getting carried away making a point! Thank you Mods for deleting the video and not the whole post. Glad to hear that you, BangorBalletBoy, find the old production transformation scene more satisfying than the most recent incarnation.

I do hope the stars regain their beautiful blue tutus. I would be happy if the RB danced Cinderella in David Walker's designs again. 

So glad I watched it before it was deleted, then. 🙂

Strange the RB would alter that particular staging, it was magnificent. 

I watched this last night, live from Ravenna, a city I know well.  Thanks so much to the festival organisers and sponsors for streaming this (and many other events) for free.

I won't say too much about it now as it is coming to the Linbury in the autumn, but I must say I really enjoyed it.  It took me a while to adjust to what it is, but once the divine Miss Ferri started moving her still lithe body to the music, it was wonderful.  I speak Italian so could understand everything she said (she does quite a lot of talking at the beginning).  This is based on Samuel Beckett...not being a Beckett fan, nor very knowledgeable about his work, I missed most of the references to his works.  However, there are references to classical ballets as she dances, so that is lovely to see.  The premise is that an older ballerina is looking back at her performing life, and remembering what is involved in order to succeed (work, work, work)...but then all the happiness that it brought to her.  This performance was dedicated to Carla Fracci, on whom the piece was made by Maurice Bejart in 1998.  Suffice to say that it is very moving, and I can imagine it working well on the Linbury stage.  Miss Ferri is now 58...what a beautiful example of a woman getting older she is.  

I really look forward to seeing this live onstage.  

• Like 9

• alison locked this topic

If people are going to comment on the casting/pricing, please could you use the separate thread here?

I'm trying to move the rest of the relevant posts over, but am getting error messages, hence my locking this thread for the time being.  Thanks!

• alison unlocked this topic

Thank you all for your patience.  I don't know what the problem was, but every time I tried to move the posts over I got a "Sorry, we can't find that thread" error message.  However, if I tried to move them over one at a time it seemed to work, regardless.  I hope I haven't lost anything in the process.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

With the 2021/22 season now approaching (all too slowly in a way!) it is good to see from social media that RB dancers are back in the studio and being given classes and instruction by the likes of Stéphane Phavorin and Johan Kobborg (the latter in relation to the Athelhampton Ballet event, I believe).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

With the 2021/22 season now approaching (all too slowly in a way!) it is good to see from social media that RB dancers are back in the studio and being given classes and instruction by the likes of Stéphane Phavorin and Johan Kobborg (the latter in relation to the Athelhampton Ballet event, I believe).

AND, importantly, that some dancers who appeared to be ‘off’ injured at the end of last season are back moving freely. So happy for them.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Great to see Kobborg is back at the ROH. Perhaps sometime in the future we may see his production of La Sylphide again. Its been so long practically all the roles will be debuts; wonderful!

Great idea.  I loved it the last time I saw it.  It is a wonderful opportunity for students to play the young girl as well.  If my memory serves me correctly, last time it was Julia Roscoe, who is now in the company?

• Like 3

Maybe this is a first step for Kobborg’s re-acceptance into the RB fold.  I would also love to see his Sylphide again.  A new generation of Jameses and Sylphides and I am already dreaming of casts…a bit premature but it’s fun to imagine! 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Great idea.  I loved it the last time I saw it.  It is a wonderful opportunity for students to play the young girl as well.  If my memory serves me correctly, last time it was Julia Roscoe, who is now in the company?

Julia debuted in 2005. Last time in 2012 the role was danced by Annabel Pickering and Sarah Keaveney. I remember Julia being asked if she had any advice for the the girls. Just enjoy yourself was her answer.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Julia debuted in 2005. Last time in 2012 the role was danced by Annabel Pickering and Sarah Keaveney. I remember Julia being asked if she had any advice for the the girls. Just enjoy yourself was her answer.

I didn't see it in 2012, so perhaps I should have said the last time I saw it......