THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT

Guest oncnp

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Royal Ballet version of La Sylphide! 
Last time I saw it was the Queensland Ballet of Australia’s performance at the Colisseum six years ago. This was the Peter Schaufuss version and his son danced the role of James. 
I’ve just finished attending a series of workshops on La Sylphide which have been  very enjoyable and great fun!  
The versions used were based on ENB ( but from Festival Ballet days) and the Danish Ballet version.   We learned bits of the Sylph corps work, some of the wedding corps work and bits of Madge the witch’s interaction with James so including quite a bit of mime so this has renewed my interest in this ballet as have only seen it just that one time....as far as can remember but may have seen it once many years ago now as well when Festival performed it with Peter Schaufuss dancing ....but anyway really don’t know this ballet that well at all.... So yes be great to have a new Kobburg version for the Royal. 

• Like 1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves here.  Just because Kobborg's coaching in relation to Athelhampton, as Richard seems to believe, that doesn't necessarily suggest that a rapprochement with the RB itself is on the cards.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, alison said:

I hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves here.  Just because Kobborg's coaching in relation to Athelhampton, as Richard seems to believe, that doesn't necessarily suggest that a rapprochement with the RB itself is on the cards.

That's exactly why I said 'maybe'.  I don't think anyone is assuming that a rapprochement is on the cards...but in these depressing times it's very nice to imagine this lovely ballet back in the repertoire.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Royal Ballet version of La Sylphide! 
Last time I saw it was the Queensland Ballet of Australia’s performance at the Colisseum six years ago. This was the Peter Schaufuss version and his son danced the role of James. 
I’ve just finished attending a series of workshops on La Sylphide which have been  very enjoyable and great fun!  
The versions used were based on ENB ( but from Festival Ballet days) and the Danish Ballet version.   We learned bits of the Sylph corps work, some of the wedding corps work and bits of Madge the witch’s interaction with James so including quite a bit of mime so this has renewed my interest in this ballet as have only seen it just that one time....as far as can remember but may have seen it once many years ago now as well when Festival performed it with Peter Schaufuss dancing ....but anyway really don’t know this ballet that well at all.... So yes be great to have a new Kobburg version for the Royal. 

Hi Lin.  It wouldn't be a new version.  He made a version back in the mid-2000s, based on his Bournonville training and background.  With Alina Cojocaru as the Sylphide and Sorella Englund as Madge, it was unforgettable.  

• Like 5

I like La Sylphide a lot and was very pleased to see ENB performing it at the Coliseum a couple of years back. However... the RB putting on La Sylphide would inevitably mean something else losing out. I'd much rather they scheduled some of the RB "heritage" (I know, but this is the word they seem to favour!) works which have been neglected recently.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Hi Lin.  It wouldn't be a new version.  He made a version back in the mid-2000s, based on his Bournonville training and background.  With Alina Cojocaru as the Sylphide and Sorella Englund as Madge, it was unforgettable.  

And Ivan Putrov as James.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 17:35, Sim said:

Yes, replacing an injured Kobborg. 

Sorry, but I’m still catching up.

James was danced by Ivan Putrov and Rupert Pennefather in the original run.  

Kobborg wasn’t injured but opted to dance ‘The Lesson’ (the other piece in the double bill)

with Alina Cojocaru and Deirdre Chapman. 

7 hours ago, RobR said:

Sorry, but I’m still catching up.

James was danced by Ivan Putrov and Rupert Pennefather in the original run.  

Kobborg wasn’t injured but opted to dance ‘The Lesson’ (the other piece in the double bill)

with Alina Cojocaru and Deirdre Chapman. 

Ah.  Someone had told me he was injured.  The Lesson was unforgettable, although I clearly forgot that he had danced it in this bill.  

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 10:11, Sim said:

Maybe this is a first step for Kobborg’s re-acceptance into the RB fold.  I would also love to see his Sylphide again.  A new generation of Jameses and Sylphides and I am already dreaming of casts…a bit premature but it’s fun to imagine! 

Much as I would love love love to see Kobborg introducing de Bournonville works to RB, I don't think it would be his 're-acceptance' as though he is some kind of outlaw.  I doubt he'd want to become involved again, but as you say - fun to imagine!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 12:30, Sim said:

I watched this last night, live from Ravenna, a city I know well.  Thanks so much to the festival organisers and sponsors for streaming this (and many other events) for free.

I won't say too much about it now as it is coming to the Linbury in the autumn, but I must say I really enjoyed it.  It took me a while to adjust to what it is, but once the divine Miss Ferri started moving her still lithe body to the music, it was wonderful.  I speak Italian so could understand everything she said (she does quite a lot of talking at the beginning).  This is based on Samuel Beckett...not being a Beckett fan, nor very knowledgeable about his work, I missed most of the references to his works.  However, there are references to classical ballets as she dances, so that is lovely to see.  The premise is that an older ballerina is looking back at her performing life, and remembering what is involved in order to succeed (work, work, work)...but then all the happiness that it brought to her.  This performance was dedicated to Carla Fracci, on whom the piece was made by Maurice Bejart in 1998.  Suffice to say that it is very moving, and I can imagine it working well on the Linbury stage.  Miss Ferri is now 58...what a beautiful example of a woman getting older she is. 

I saw "L'Heure exquise" yesterday at Baden-Baden - Alessandra Ferri is wonderful, sometimes she seemed to me like the last of a lost generation of great dramatic ballerinas. They changed the language to English, with some French, Italian and German words in between, but it's easy to comprehend. It's the Beckett piece "Happy Days" à la Béjart, not as good as his "Les Chaises" after Ionesco, but a great vehicle for Ferri, with Carsten Jung as a clownish, loving, compassionate sidekick and partner.  If you ever loved Ferri, you have to see it. It might help to read a bit about "Happy Days" before.

How I miss the days when choreographers did also pieces like this one, not just abstract movement studies...  Sorry, that's just me, getting old.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

Royal Ballet’s Japan tour expected this summer is postponed to summer 2023. Some dancers from the company will perform in a gala in Tokyo this summer on July 13-18 instead. Further Information to be announced. 

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/the-royal-ballet-japan-tour-2022-is-postponed-to-2023-but-the-gala-performances-by-the-selected-roya.html

Edited by Naomi M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Royal Ballet’s Japan tour expected this summer is postponed to summer 2023. Some dancers from the company will perform in a gala in Tokyo this summer on July 13-18 instead. Further Information to be announced. 

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/the-royal-ballet-japan-tour-2022-is-postponed-to-2023-but-the-gala-performances-by-the-selected-roya.html

What a pity. No RB tour for the third year running.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A gala performance by some dancers of Royal Ballet will take place in Tokyo July 13-18th. 

participants announced (subject to change) 

Alexander Campbell
Cesar Corrales
Lauren Cuthbertson
Francesca Hayward
Ryoichi Hirano
Sarah Lamb
Yasmine Naghdi
Marianela Nuñez
Marcelino Sambé
Akane Takada
William Bracewell
Reece Clarke

https://www.nbs.or.jp/stages/2022/royalballet/index.html

(Only in Japanese, I think they will add English content later)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It makes it sound as if they're dancing for 6 days! Are they just doing 1 gala? 

They have a total of 6 performances with 2 different programs, 3 days each. Hope this would happen,  and I hope to see more new works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp

Very preliminary program (Google translate)

[A Pro]
Scheduled program

Choreographed by Pas de deux McMillan in Act 1 from "Manon"

"Tomorrow" choreography by McGregor

"Pirate" Petipa choreography (Corsaire?)

Choreographed by Pas de deux Dumac Milan of the Black Bird from "Swan Lake"

"Tschaikovsky Pas de deux" Balanchine choreography

other

[B Pro]
Scheduled program

Choreographed by Pas de deux McMillan in Act 1 from "Romeo and Juliet"

"After the Rain" Wheeldon choreography

Choreographed by Pas de deux

"Diamond"  Balanchine choreography from "Jewels"

other

The above program is scheduled as of March 25th. Performers and other performances will be announced as soon as they are decided.

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, bridiem said:

It makes it sound as if they're dancing for 6 days! Are they just doing 1 gala? 

[A Pro]
7/13 (Wed) 18:30
7/14 (Thu) 18:30
7/16 (Sat) 13:30

[Pro B]
7/17 (Sun) 13:30
7/17 (Sun) 18:00
7/18 (Mon / holiday) 14:00

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

Very preliminary program (Google translate)

[A Pro]
Scheduled program

Choreographed by Pas de deux McMillan in Act 1 from "Manon"

"Tomorrow" choreography by McGregor

"Pirate" Petipa choreography (Corsaire?)

Choreographed by Pas de deux Dumac Milan of the Black Bird from "Swan Lake"

"Tschaikovsky Pas de deux" Balanchine choreography

other

[B Pro]
Scheduled program

Choreographed by Pas de deux McMillan in Act 1 from "Romeo and Juliet"

"After the Rain" Wheeldon choreography

Choreographed by Pas de deux

"Diamond"  Balanchine choreography from "Jewels"

other

The above program is scheduled as of March 25th. Performers and other performances will be announced as soon as they are decided.

Google needs a  rather better algorithm for Japanese translation..!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

Since Japanese promoters have a 'thing' about Principals, there is a strong message here that both Bracewell and Clarke will be promoted prior to the tour (and may well know that already!) 😉😊

Good thinking! That would excellent.

Guest oncnp

From the gala description...

This summer, a selection of dancers, mainly (my emphasis) principals, from the Royal Ballet in the UK, who are at the height of their popularity, will visit Japan to hold a 6-day limited gala performance.

Guest oncnp

The fine print does say

The performers shown are scheduled as of March 25.
* Additional performers will be announced as soon as they are decided.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

More info on the Japan tour  Programmes / / NBS-Japan Performing Arts Foundation

I didn't see any change in the dancers involved. 'Don't suppose they could manage a stop in the US on the way home?

Programme A

Wednesday 13 July 2022, 18:30

Thursday 14 July 2022, 18:30

Saturday 16 July 2022, 13:30

Concerto

Choreography Kenneth MacMillan 

Music Dmitri Shostakovich

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Romeo and Juliet

Music Sergei Prokofiev

Morgen

Choreography Wayne McGregor 

Music Richard Strauss

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Manon

Music Jules Massenet

Le Corsaire pas de deux

Choreography Marius Petipa 

Music Riccardo Drigo

Pas de deux from Act 2 of Giselle

Choreography Marius Petipa after Jean Corrali and Jules Perrot 

Music Adolphe Adam

Winter Dreams

Music Pyotr Il'ych Tchaikovsky arranged by Phillip Gammon

Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan

Choreography Frederick Ashton 

Music Johannes Brahms

Pas de deux from Act 2 of Swan Lake

Choreography Lev Ivanov 

Music Pyotr Il'ych Tchaikovsky

Dance of the Blessed Spirits

Music Christophe Willibald von Gluck

Programme B

Sunday 17 July 2022, 13:30

Sunday 17 July 2022, 18:00

Monday 18 July 2022, 14:00

Grand pas classique

Choreography Victor Gsovsky 

Music Daniel-François Auber

Diana and Actaeon

Choreography Agrippina Vaganova 

Music Cesare Pugni

Excerpt from Alice's Adventure in Wonderland

Choreography Christopher Wheeldon 

Music Joby Talbot

Excerpt from Rhapsody

Music Sergei Rachmaninov

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Romeo and Juliet

Music Sergei Prokofiev

Pas de deux from Act 3 of Don Quixote

Choreography Marius Petipa 

Music Ludwig Minkus

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Manon

Music Jules Massenet

After the Rain

Music Arvo Pärt

Within the Golden Hour

Music Ezio Bosso and Antonio Vivaldi

Programmes and casting as of 11 April 2022 are subject to change.

Edited by oncnp