THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT

Guest oncnp

36 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I'm most pleased with The Dante Project, Giselle, and Water For Chocolate (never heard of it until today but what I've just read sounds promising and perfect for Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales!  

Erm, Corrales?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

On a different note if Kevin wants to have modern choreographers why doesn't he nurture his home-grown talent and commission Valentino Zucchetti again? I was so impressed with the Pennefather films and also the modern piece we saw on WBD. He has a great talent and someone whose choreography I would love to pay and see.

I couldn't agree more with this. I think that Scherzo by Valentino Zucchetti was one of the best new works of contemporary ballet that I've seen for a while and I would love to see it live. Although it was short and sweet, I think it really demonstrated Zucchetti's talent for choreography and I would like to see more from him over the next few years on the main stage. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I was just thinking Don Q fan that has BRB announced its season yet? There may well be a possibility of Don Q being performed there next season and not quite as far to travel to. 

Not a dicky bird from BRB, which is why I started a season Wishlist for them yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I can't say the opera side of the season excites me much. I know they need to get bums on seats but six sopranos in Traviata seems ridiculous, especially as there were four casts in the 2019-20 season.

I am looking forward to Theodora...that's about it for now, but will have to look again once the ballet has settled in;  I am so unused to booking and looking that I might have missed something!

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Very pleased to hear about Giselle, Swan Lake and Month In The Country. Hopefully Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe will feature in R&J again as I missed them last time

I saw them last time, and I won't forget the impact it had.  All the 'regulars' in the first interval already had lumps in our throats...we were all looking at each other saying "what on Earth just happened in there"?!  By the end, I was a wreck.   If Fille isn't happening then seeing them again in R&J will go a very long way to making up for it!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am looking forward to Theodora...that's about it for now, but will have to look again once the ballet has settled in;  I am so unused to booking and looking that I might have missed something!

I'm the other way round. I spent 14 seasons just booking opera before deciding to give Mayerling a go, because there wasn't much opera I wanted to see in autumn 2018. So I then had to get used to checking both opera and ballet and hoping there weren't too many ones I wanted to see with dates in close proximity.

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I can't say the opera side of the season excites me much. I know they need to get bums on seats but six sopranos in Traviata seems ridiculous, especially as there were four casts in the 2019-20 season.

Six is a lot but the casting is a lot more interesting than it has been for Trav recently - Oropesa in particular was top of my wish list.

More generally, I think the opera season quite strong all things considered - more so IMO than what we know so far of the ballet.

My ranking:

1. Ashton

2. Giselle

3. Swan Lake

4. R&J

5. Dante project

6. Wheeldon

I'll probably see more than one cast each of 1 to 4; go to 5 for the occasion; and won't bother with 6 (Wheeldon does nothing for me and I can't see another compelling reason to catch it.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I'm most pleased with The Dante Project, Giselle, and Water For Chocolate (never heard of it until today but what I've just read sounds promising and perfect for Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales!  

It’s starring Hayward and Sambe!!!

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Six is a lot but the casting is a lot more interesting than it has been for Trav recently - Oropesa in particular was top of my wish list.

More generally, I think the opera season quite strong all things considered - more so IMO than what we know so far of the ballet.

I'm afraid none of the six are on my must-see singers list. I've seen Oropesa in a few Met streamings in the last year & thought she was fine but it didn't make me desparate to see her live. I'll wait for full casting before deciding on whether or not I want to see some of the operas but much of the casting so far I find more off-putting than enticing. I'm annoyed that Cav & Pag aren't coming back with the cast that should have been in them in April 2020, as I was really looking forward to seeing Alagna & Kurzak in Pag until covid intervened & had hoped they would do it afterwards.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Steven McRae has just announced on Facebook that he is aiming for a return to the stage in R & J which is opening the season I believe. I hope he makes it. 

R&J is the season opener? Drat, I was hoping it'd be later on, preferably in 2022 as I have no idea yet if I'll have been vaccinated by September.

I’m sure that’s what he said that the season would be opening with this wonderful ballet. 
Are you in UK? 
Id be pretty sure you will be vaccinated by September unless something very unexpected happens. 
Of course have to hope no vicious new variants but then we will all be done for so best not to go there! 
Don’t they usually have R&J in the Spring season though? I’m trying to remember when that glorious Hayward/Corrales performance was though....it can’t have been more than a year ago? And not two years ago surely.............🤔
This last year has been so odd it seems like six months and six years all at the same time!! 

Yes, I am. I was reading yesterday that if the EU goes ahead with their threatened export ban then the end of July deadline might be pushed back for a month or two, and that's only for the first doses. Even if the end of July deadline is met then that would mean second doses not until October. I think "variants" is currently my least favourite word!

The last R&J run was March-June 2019, with Hayward/Corrales in May. I saw them on 25th May & I think that was the last of their 3 performances (because if it hadn't been then I would have tried to see them again!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm annoyed that Cav & Pag aren't coming back with the cast that should have been in them in April 2020, as I was really looking forward to seeing Alagna & Kurzak in Pag until covid intervened & had hoped they would do it afterwards.

Unfortunately (from that point of view), opera singers get booked up years in advance: I suspect they may not have been free.  Oliver Mears made some comments about casting on Radio 3's In Tune this evening, at about 6.10 or so, but I was only listening to it with one ear.

14 hours ago, alison said:

Erm, Corrales?

Shouldn’t this be Sambé? I’m absolutely on board with Francesca Hayward for Tita, less so with Sambé for Pedro, but only because I like Marcelino so much, and Pedro is fundamentally not a likeable character.

This is the most excited I have been about a new ballet. Like Water for Chocolate is stunning, and so rich emotionally. Wheeldon’s flair for the quirky will lend itself really well to the magical realism. I cannot wait!

• Like 1

If social distancing is still in place in the autumn/winter, it won't matter how popular the works are - everything will be operating at a big loss. So I just hope that it will have been relaxed by then.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JohnS said:

Booking for Premium 2 Friends is 3 August if that’s any help.

Also:

"Friends' booking for the 2021/22 Season will open online on Tuesday 17 August 2021. Your Season Guide for the 2021/22 Season will arrive in the post in June 2021 giving you fuller details".

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

At a personal level, I’m delighted that one of the six is on my management roster ...

20 hours ago, bridiem said:

Brilliant! I wonder why they didn't put that in the press release?!

Because the Press Office is speaking to 1) a ‘new’ audience, 2) headline seekers , and 3) funders  rather than the RB’s established followers and multiple ticket buyers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

Because the Press Office is speaking to 1) a ‘new’ audience, 2) headline seekers , and 3) funders  rather than the RB’s established followers and multiple ticket buyers.

But it's the same wording that has been sent to Friends to inform them about the season. And the press release is very long (too long, in my opinion) so a few more words saying WHICH Ashton ballets would have made no difference and would have informed and probably pleased the core audience of the ROH/RB.

• Like 4

If Francesca Hayward has a major role in Dante, I could see a long, spaced-out, run of R&J in the autumn, with her performances perhaps at the end of it - or right at the beginning, depending on the scheduling of Dante.  I guess we'll find out in due course.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

If social distancing is still in place in the autumn/winter, it won't matter how popular the works are - everything will be operating at a big loss. So I just hope that it will have been relaxed by then.

I was surprised - but very pleased for the company - that Kevin O'Hare somewhere said the abortive Nutcracker run had at least managed to break even.

• Like 2