THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT

Guest oncnp

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

R&J probably in September, Dante in late October (they may well overlap at some point)

As long as they get the Dante in before the end of the year, 2021 being the 700th anniversary of his death.  My hubby is a Dante scholar so wants to come and see this ballet with me.  I just know already that it's going to be a miserable experience for me, no matter what the ballet is like!! 😁

We had planned to go to Ravenna a couple of times during this year as that is where Dante is buried and they were planning all kinds of celebratory/commemorative events.  Sadly, it looks like many of these will be cancelled, so our trips are looking unlikely for now.  Let's hope this ballet makes up for what we are losing elsewhere...

• Like 5

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sim said:

As long as they get the Dante in before the end of the year, 2021 being the 700th anniversary of his death.  My hubby is a Dante scholar so wants to come and see this ballet with me.  I just know already that it's going to be a miserable experience for me, no matter what the ballet is like!! 😁

We had planned to go to Ravenna a couple of times during this year as that is where Dante is buried and they were planning all kinds of celebratory/commemorative events.  Sadly, it looks like many of these will be cancelled, so our trips are looking unlikely for now.  Let's hope this ballet makes up for what we are losing elsewhere...

That's such a shame, Sim. But the prospect of the ballet has already had one good outcome for me - I decided in the first lockdown that I would finally read The Divine Comedy (in English), in preparation for the ballet, and I did so. I can't say I exactly enjoyed Inferno - very grim, though also very interesting - and I'm not sure that Purgatorio was really much more fun, but I made it to Paradiso by which time I was pretty exhausted. Will that also be my reaction to the ballet?! Who knows.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Rob S said:

You're not saying that in the same way I always say 'oh joy' are you?😄

No... I am saying it with sheer delight.  I will never forget their stunning debuts.  I was a wreck at the end.  Come to think of it, I was a wreck after  Act 1!   

• Like 2

Also Steven McRae posted a couple of days ago that he was hoping to do Romeo with Sarah Lamb, so presumably Kevin O'Hare has told all the dancers the R&J casting for next season. It seems early but I suppose if they are opening in September with R&J then the end of May isn't that much notice.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Also Steven McRae posted a couple of days ago that he was hoping to do Romeo with Sarah Lamb, so presumably Kevin O'Hare has told all the dancers the R&J casting for next season. It seems early but I suppose if they are opening in September with R&J then the end of May isn't that much notice.

Glad to see McRae back after 3(?) years. A new partner for Muntagirov then (assuming he will do Romeo)?

The Friend's  newsletter of 1 April said the Autumn season guide would be sent out on 1 June so perhaps we'll get an idea of the new season next week. 

Fumi and ?

This is going to be a challenge for KoH to have enough performance dates for all the principal ballerinas ... assuming all the new ones will do R&J. And also including the first soloists who’ve done it before ... Hamilton, Stix-Brunell?   

Plenty of interesting pairings to contemplate too.  I’m hoping for Mayara and Matthew 🤔 

I hope Naghdi and Ball revisit their R&J partnership and would also love to see a Naghdi/Muntagirov pairing.

Possibly Kaneko/Clarke? Although perhaps real-life couples pairings might become too much, with Hayward/Corrales and possibly Magri/Ball too? 

• Like 3

On 23/03/2021 at 15:06, Beryl H said:

I'm most pleased with The Dante Project, Giselle, and Water For Chocolate (never heard of it until today but what I've just read sounds promising and perfect for Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales!  

I read somewhere that it is Marcelino with Frankie.

I would really want Muntagirov and Lamb to be paired together again in R&J. IF that's not possible, I'd like to see O'Sullivan dance with him. They have the same sort of purity about them, both technically and artistically.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Possibly Kaneko/Clarke? Although perhaps real-life couples pairings might become too much, with Hayward/Corrales and possibly Magri/Ball too? 

If only real life couples are cast it leaves out a lot of other wonderful partnerships!

Also it doesn't always follow that real life partnerships spark on stage.  In the past I've seen real-life partnerships on stage together where there is absolutely no spark whatsoever and other partnerships where the dancers apparently dislike each other off stage setting the stage on fire together.

• Like 10

I couldn’t agree more, Jan! I do think that casting real-life couples shouldn’t be a given, even if they have previously danced together and been magical. I would be very sorry if Naghdi/Ball didn’t happen again, or Hayward/Campbell. 

I would like to see Naghdi/Muntagirov cast together more often; they are both so musical and magnetic, along with the technical wizardry. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

I read somewhere that it is Marcelino with Frankie.

But for the new Wheeldon, not R&J.

It’s most unusual for dancers to make ‘casting announcements’ .

Unfortunately, I doubt that that information will be available any time soon. After all, we don’t have the details for the third triple yet.

On 26/05/2021 at 12:34, Dawnstar said:

I have been thinking McRae might make a more interesting Tybalt than Romeo. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Legseleven said:

I hope Naghdi and Ball revisit their R&J partnership and would also love to see a Naghdi/Muntagirov pairing.

I hope Clarke does get to do Romeo after he had to miss all of the last run with injury. I'd be quite happy if all the real-life couples got to do R&J together, though my bank account wouldn't be as I'd probably want to try to see all of them!

24 minutes ago, annamk said:

Maybe he could do both, like Ball & Hirano did in the last run. Though perhaps that's not realistic given he'll be coming back from injury so presumably won't want to risk overdoing it. I hope Ball does both again as I thought his Tybalt was brilliant last time, even more so than his Romeo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

But for the new Wheeldon, not R&J.

It’s most unusual for dancers to make ‘casting announcements’ .

Unfortunately, I doubt that that information will be available any time soon. After all, we don’t have the details for the third triple yet.

I must admit that I was surprised at Steven McRae announcing that Sarah Lamb would be his partner for R&J, although presumably it had been agreed in advance.  As for a new partner for Muntagirov, I'd love to see him do Romeo with Stix Brunell.  They've danced together a few times and seem to have good chemistry.  Failing that I'd also love him to be partnered with Naghdi.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Love, love, love Ball’s Tybalt! And Hayward and Bracewell’s partnership. 

Of course, Hayward danced with Corrales in the last live run but (also beautifully) with Bracewell in the film.

I think Corrales would be another fine Tybalt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think Corrales would be another fine Tybalt.

I've just looked up his bio to see if he did Tybalt for ENB but it only mentions Mercutio. Which I can also imagine him being good at. Maybe he could do all 3 of the main male roles in rotation! Actually, that would be fun to see, 3 male dancers each doing Romeo, Tybalt & Mercutio with the cast rotating for each performance. I'd pay to see all 3 combinations!

6 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

In the past I've seen real-life partnerships on stage together where there is absolutely no spark whatsoever and other partnerships where the dancers apparently dislike each other off stage setting the stage on fire together.

Fascinating...do tell Jan ! 

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just looked up his bio to see if he did Tybalt for ENB but it only mentions Mercutio. Which I can also imagine him being good at. Maybe he could do all 3 of the main male roles in rotation! Actually, that would be fun to see, 3 male dancers each doing Romeo, Tybalt & Mercutio with the cast rotating for each performance. I'd pay to see all 3 combinations!

Corrales was exceptional as Mercutio with ENB.

• Like 5

Yes I saw Corrales as Mercutio with ENB and he was just as fab in that role as was in Romeo with Hayward ( what terrific performances from both those two in the last run) 

I think Corrales would be great in any role requiring a strong dramatic talent. 
I think it must be a good thing to dance with different partners every so often to help keep things fresh ....as all dancers have varying nuances of interpretation so can bring out different reactions and responses in each other. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Legseleven said:

I would like to see Naghdi/Muntagirov cast together more often; they are both so musical and magnetic, along with the technical wizardry. 

Also acting wise I think in R&J it would be heartbreaking. Saw Naghdi in R&J stream and imo she has the most heartbreaking silent scream in the end. I couldn't see a performance live as I'm not from London, but I saw a review that said that Muntagirov as Romeo showed a wide range of emotions from joy, heartbreak, and anger. I think both of them combined might also be spectacular acting wise (hopefully)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, annamk said:

Would like to see him in this role. He always have that smugness/arrogance in his character interpretation/acting that I think would fit Tybalt

From ROH Friends Newsletter:

Next week in the post you should receive your 2021/22 Season Guide and your new Friends’ Handbook. More details about our Autumn performances will also be available online from Tuesday. Friends booking opens in early August, and we will remind you of the dates well in advance. We are aware that there are currently some serious delays with Royal Mail and it may take longer than usual for your Season Guide to arrive.

We hope to be making some more exciting announcements over the next few weeks so do keep an eye on your inbox.