Thanks Janite, that's great to hear. I've also really enjoyed watching her in a wide variety of roles. I haven't seen her as Odette / Odile though. If I can get a decent ticket nearer the time, I'm very tempted to do so in spring 🙂

• Like 1

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Janite said:

Sarah Lamb is one of my favourite principles, she convinces me in all roles I have seen her in. She is a wonderful White Swan too. 

Agree. Actually Sarah was also my fave Black Swan from the last run. Really saw the difference in her flashing eyes and seductive aura. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with all the comments above! A magnificent, supremely authoritative performance from Nunez and Muntagirov and the most beautiful, luminous Lilac Fairy from Kaneko. The company as a whole on great form, and a hugely involved and responsive audience; I've never before heard such an audible gasp go round the auditorium when the King decreed that the women with the needles should lose their heads! So the audience became part of the drama - an essential element of a great performance.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Agree with all the comments above! A magnificent, supremely authoritative performance from Nunez and Muntagirov and the most beautiful, luminous Lilac Fairy from Kaneko. The company as a whole on great form, and a hugely involved and responsive audience; I've never before heard such an audible gasp go round the auditorium when the King decreed that the women with the needles should lose their heads! So the audience became part of the drama - an essential element of a great performance.

Wish I'd been there......😭

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Does anybody know if the full cinema cast Cuthbertson/Bonelli has been released? Who will be dancing the beautiful Bluebird pd2? and the other divertissements?

I believe it's Naghdi/Ball doing Bluebird.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

I believe Naghdi/Ball did not dance the Bluebird pd2 during this SB run... so they'll dance it exclusively for the live cinema relay next Thursday?

Possible - I think Francesca Hayward only danced it on the opening night... (please correct, if I'm mistaken)

5 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

I believe Naghdi/Ball did not dance the Bluebird pd2 during this SB run... so they'll dance it exclusively for the live cinema relay next Thursday?

Correct.  Unless things have changed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Correct.  Unless things have changed.

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

Nahhdi/Ball have already danced bluebird this run. I missed it!
Am told that, all being well,  they will dance both tomorrow evening and the live screening next Thursday.  🙏🏻

13 hours ago, Mary said:

Stellar performances from Muntagirov and Nunez...on sparkling form...making us gasp.....and an elegantly soaring Bluebird from James Hay.

Just home from 8 days at sea on a cruise to find Vadim not dancing Onegin but he danced last night.  Why has he pulled out?

45 minutes ago, prs59 said:

Nahhdi/Ball have already danced bluebird this run. I missed it!
Am told that, all being well,  they will dance both tomorrow evening and the live screening next Thursday.  🙏🏻

Ball danced the Bluebird variation at the matinee on 14 December with Magri. 
I’m not aware that Naghdi and Ball have yet appeared together. 

• Like 2

Following on from the comments about the audience being fully engaged with the action of the ballet last  night and in particular the reaction to the fate of the knitting women.The knitting women are sentenced to hang not to be beheaded. The halter is depicted in the mime.Beheading although capable of being botched was I believe regarded as a merciful death when compared to the agony of being slowly throttled on the end of a rope. Beheading was therefore reserved for the nobility and those to whom a monarch might wish to extend a modicum of mercy. I suspect that the gasps from the audience were prompted by the idea that such a severe punishment might be imposed for the mere act of knitting rather than the form the punishment would take. The punishment seems excessive today but at one time at the end of the Prologue instead of the corps de ballet lining up in a diagonal facing Aurora's cradle gesticulating in a beneficent manner towards her the final tableau was of the corps grouped around the King as he forbade the use of spindles, and by implication other sharp handicraft implements, in his kingdom. Ratmansky's reconstruction has this as the Prologue's final tableau which makes the King's actions at the beginning of the first act seem a little less arbitrary than the current Royal Ballet  text does.

Like Leslie Edwards before him Montes' Catalabutte collects the knitting and holds it so that all the points of the needles are facing upwards. He then tests the needles to see if they fall within the letter of the law concerning prohibited sharp implements. He discovers to his horror that they are sharp and begins to look sad. But is he sad for them in the knowledge of the punishment that awaits them for breaking the law or is he sad on his own account because of the effort he has put into preparing for the great day which now looks as it it will be wasted? The Queen's notices that Catalabutte is sad. She asks the reason.The King is told that the knitting ladies have broken the law and he condemns them because by their actions they have endangered the life of the heir to the throne. As members of a class clearly far removed from the nobility the women would have suffered the ignominy of hanging had it not been for the Queen's intervention. Her actions enable the audience to see the benefits of living in an autocracy as they watch the KIng exercising his prerogative of mercy . I imagine that this bit of flattery went down exceptionally well with the Tsar and his family.

But what prompts the Queen's intervention? Does she intervene simply because she is kind and considerate or is it that she sees that the King has acted in an arbitrary manner ? Is she concerned that the executions would dampen the celebration of Aurora's birthday making things a trifle awkward with the visiting Princes? The reason for Catalabutte's concerns almost certainly encompass those of the Queen with the addition of the planning and preparation he put into the event which seems likely to be wasted.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Ball danced the Bluebird variation at the matinee on 14 December with Magri. 
I’m not aware that Naghdi and Ball have yet appeared together. 

I thought I’d posted a reply but maybe gremlins are at work so here goes again and apologies if it’s a repeat:

thanks for clarifying @Thalia I was aware that Matty had already danced bluebird but not who his partner was. Perhaps in the upcoming performances he will also be partnered by Magri. Whomever it is, we shall see on the days in question.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Just home from 8 days at sea on a cruise to find Vadim not dancing Onegin but he danced last night.  Why has he pulled out?

Please see a post from me (unfortunately placed) in the thread about Reece Clarke's promotion.