• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, RobR said:

Seriously though, could whoever is interested in pointe shoes start a new thread?

There is a tradition in one of the forums that I follow: as soon as three messages go astray, i.e. don't exactly follow the topic, the moderator opens a new thread and moves three messages there. Everyone interested in these new messages can write in the newly opened thread.

Believe it or not but in this topic on 'Sleeping Beauty' I counted 48 posts concerning pointe shoes. I did my share too.😳

Edited by Amelia
The last sentence was added.
  • Like 3

On 23/11/2019 at 15:46, Fiz said:

Good gracious! What a ridiculous comment! It’s the 21st century but I suppose it is Russia...

I wouldn’t single out Russia for this. There are antisemitic moods everywhere, England, unfortunately, being a sad example at the moment. I think that some Russians are a bit frustrated with Osipova lately because she’s half the dancer she was 10 years ago (in classics at least). Natalia was such a prodigy when she first started but, unfortunately, didn’t live up to expectations. Obviously, it’s a problem of the fans, not hers as she doesn’t owe us anything. Still, it’s a bit sad to watch. Having said that, there are still many devoted fans of Natalia in Russia who love her dearly and for whom she’s always one and only, no matter what. 

I wasn’t impressed with Natalia’s Aurora on Wednesday but thought it was a better performance than two years ago, in particular thanks to Hallberg. I agree with those who say the Telegraph’s article was a bit of exaggeration but I can’t honestly say I disagree with it completely. The degree of disappointment may vary but most of the audience seem to agree it wasn’t a particularly memorable performance. Hopefully, the next one will be better. 

• Like 2

On 21/11/2019 at 21:00, Lizbie1 said:

(See Fonteyn at the beginning of this video: https://youtu.be/Ff9wotb7pyM)

Sorry to return to my own post after a few days, but I only noticed last night - after more viewings than I should admit to! - that the prince who does the bulk of the partnering is I think Sir Peter Wright.

(In my defence, why would I have been watching anyone other than Fonteyn?)

Edited by Lizbie1
Shoddy punctuation :)
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Surely that's David Wall?

Peter Wright was the first Prince in the made-for-television production, some years earlier.

Yes, it's David Wall. It is an excerpt from the film of Act 1 of Beauty Keith Money filmed with the Touring Company in the early sixties. It was filmed at a theatre on the South Coast somewhere (? Bournemouth). Money had hoped to film the complete ballet with Fonteyn but couldn't raise the finance and only Act 1 was actually filmed.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2019 at 22:28, Buru said:

I wasn’t impressed with Natalia’s Aurora on Wednesday but thought it was a better performance than two years ago, in particular thanks to Hallberg. I agree with those who say the Telegraph’s article was a bit of exaggeration but I can’t honestly say I disagree with it completely. The degree of disappointment may vary but most of the audience seem to agree it wasn’t a particularly memorable performance. Hopefully, the next one will be better. 

I checked my records for the previous performance of SB that I saw with Osipova and Hirano and it was March 2017. My view is that Act 1 was better in 2017, act 2 better this year, act 3 better then. 

Ms Osipova has, by moving to the RB, developed as an artist in a way that would not have been open to her had she remained in Russia. I hope that she continues to do so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shade said:

I checked my records for the previous performance of SB that I saw with Osipova and Hirano and it was March 2017. My view is that Act 1 was better in 2017, act 2 better this year, act 3 better then. 

Ms Osipova has, by moving to the RB, developed as an artist in a way that would not have been open to her had she remained in Russia. I hope that she continues to do so.

Yes, indeed, it was March 2017 and I believe I saw the first of the two performances then as well. I liked it overall better this year (Rose Adagios were equally bad though), but then again, Osipova and Hallberg are one of my favorite ballet couples and their unforgettable Giselle in May 2010 is one of my most treasured ballet memories, so I may not be totally objective. 

On her move to RB, she seems totally happy here and we are happy for her. I disagree that it made her a better classical ballerina but she’s certainly got her desired dancing freedom and can perform anything she likes now.  I’m all for letting people choose their own paths in life. 

• Like 6

On 26/11/2019 at 20:47, Buru said:

On her move to RB, she seems totally happy here and we are happy for her. I disagree that it made her a better classical ballerina but she’s certainly got her desired dancing freedom and can perform anything she likes now.  I’m all for letting people choose their own paths in life. 

In my opinion, her recording of Giselle with Acosta is my most treasured one. It is classical. And in my opinion her portray of Giselle will be in textbook and earn an important stage  in the history of Giselle. It is not just about beautiful or lines, or jump as high as you could. But about bring something new and deep into such a classic role. And I don't think that it will happen if she remains in Bolshoi. 

It is really her own choice of focusing on what to do. 

Back to the sleeping beauty topic, maybe this is not her best role but she still brought joy to me. Honestly I won't book and manage to get to RoH on a Wednesday night if the partner is not Hallberg.

• Like 4

I never did manage to access Mark Monahan's review of Osipova's first performance, but I gathered enough to approach last night's Rose Adagio with some trepidation. But the balances were excellent (and you could see the joy and relief in her face afterwards, which was priceless!) and the whole was danced with such verve and aplomb that it was positively thrilling. Unorthodox use of the hands (throughout the performance), and a kind of physical and emotional extremity that doesn't sit easily with pure classicism; but gripping nonetheless. There is sometimes a danger of Osipova becoming almost a caricature of herself, but I think she just (only just, sometimes) manages to stay this side of that line, and what she delivers is a passionate, driven Aurora who is in as much need of being rescued by her prince as the prince is in need of finding his true love. The Vision Scene in particular was astonishing - her eyes seemed to be half closed most of the time, so you really knew this was a vision of a sleeping princess desperate to be awakened, yearning for her prince to come. And when she is finally woken by a kiss, her joy, relief and delight are palpable from the furthest reaches of the Amphitheatre. Technically she is getting more and more idiosyncratic, especially in the use of her hands and arms, which doesn't make for harmony with all the dancers around her (including Hallberg). But her turns and jumps were brilliant and her intensity completely memorable.

Hallberg remains a conundrum. I do find much of his solo dancing breathtakingly beautiful; and he seems to be reliable in terms of some partnering e.g. supported pirouettes. But clearly there are problems with lifts, and in the more virtuoso parts of his solos he does sometimes falter. The technique of the fish dives was I think very slightly adapted, but worked well and they were fast and exciting. And he was an entirely convincing aristocratic prince with the creamiest lines and noblest bearing. His melancholy in Act II (until seeing Aurora) was positively tragic; and his wonder at the beauty of Aurora and, finally, at his realisation that a kiss would bring her to him, were a joy to behold.

Bennet Gartside was a slightly sulky but effective King, with Kristen McNally as a more than usually imperious Queen. Fumi Kaneko was once more a superbly gracious Lilac Fairy (though I still dread that Prologue solo - even when done well it looks pretty horrible). I always find it quite amusing that even though she's a fairy with supernatural powers, when she wants to offer her blessings on the baby from above, she still has to be hoisted up there by two chunky attendants (and then when they put her down again, she thanks them graciously for their trouble. Brilliant!).  Christina Arestis was a suitably wicked Carabosse; I got the impression this Carabosse was actually pretty pleased she hadn't been invited to the Christening, since it gave her an opportunity to unleash her evil. (And on the subject of the Christening - could a 'baby' not be found that looks like a baby rather than a doll??! In these days of Call the Midwife, surely a more realistic baby could be procured. I know this is a fairy tale and everything, but still...).

• Like 25

I agree with much of the above. Osipova did a great job with the rose adage and vision scene, and Hallberg was a convincing lonely prince. I am seeing a different cast on Thursday so it will be interesting to compare. I would add that the ‘fairy group dance’ (for want of a better term - pas de six maybe?) in the prologue was beautifully done. 

Unfortunately I could write an essay for the ‘audience behaviour’ thread on the basis of what I saw in the stalls circle yesterday evening, especially re mobile phones :(

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shade said:

very glad I got to see him on 20 November. That’s the issue re dancers - you have to catch their dancing while you can. 

I can think of quite a few male dancers who gave up dancing in SB but continued to dance happily in many other ballets.  Let's face it, it's not the most exciting role for the man.

Linda

This afternoon’s cast: 

King Florestan: Gartside 

Queen: Arestis

Aurora: O’SullIvan

Prince: Ball 

Catalabutte: Montes

Carabosse: Mendizabal 

Lilac Fairy: Storm-Jensen (yay!)

Fairy of the:

Crystal Fountain: Pajdak Acri

Enchanted Garden: HinkisZucchetti 

Woodland Glade: Hamilton Donnelly

Songbird: Gasparini Dixon 

Jeremy Vine: Dias Serrano 

Lilac Fairy’s Cavalier: Aumeer 

English Prince: Avis

French Prince: Richardson

Indian Prince: Dubreuil  

Russian Prince: Mock

Aurora’s Friends: Buvoli Gasparini Grennell Bradbury Stock Dean Roscoe Dias 

Countess: Pajdak 

Gallison: Emerton

Florestan and sisters: Ella Gasparini Sasaki 

Puss/White Cat: Dixon Dean  

Florine/Bluebird: Hamilton Corrales 

Red Riding Hood/Wolf: Allnatt Mock 

Grand Pas de Dutchie O’Sullivan Ball 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Oh what happened to James Hay — hope he is ok

Kevin O’Hare came out front of curtain to say James had been taken I’ll and had been advised not to dance today. Matthew Ball has replaced him at 2 hours’ notice - (3. 5 hours by the time he comes on!). Feeling very sorry for James and for Anna Rose O’Sullivan who has such a big debut today.

Edited to add:

(Whoops - writing at the same time as RobS.)

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Oh what happened to James Hay — hope he is ok

Kevin O'Hare came on to say that he'd been taken ill today and advised not to dance, and Matthew Ball had agreed to take over at 2 hours' notice. Really sorry not to see James Hay. And poor Anna Rose O'Sullivan. As if an Aurora debut isn't stressful enough even with the partner with whom you've rehearsed!

P.s. lots of cross-posting! Sorry for the repetition 

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Really sorry not to see James Hay.

Me too. But sounds like the flu or something which is better than an injury.  

I went to the Insights talk last night where they mentioned how many cast changes they have to deal with, especially this time of year.  And the cascade effect. How they started the run with about 5 dancers for every fairy role and now it is more like two each. Melissa Hamilton filling in for Fumi Kaneko today for example. As well as doing Florine with Cesar Corrales (which should be fantastic)

• Like 3