6 minutes ago, annamk said:

I would like to have seen Magri's Lilac this evening as it was lovely,  and surely it would have made more sense, Storm-Jensen had yet another unsuccessful attempt at the variation yesterday evening ! 

There are times when having zero technical knowledge of ballet is an advantage. Unless someone obviously messes up their steps (like Claire Calvert did on Saturday afternoon) I usually can't tell if a variation has gone wrong!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm a little surprised at them putting a First Soloist in for a cinema broadcast (although of course William Bracewell is scheduled as Siegfried), but then Kaneko has been one of the stalwarts of this run.

Plus, of course, since she stepped in the other night she's already had the benefit of performing the main part of the partnering with Bonelli once already, which must be a great advantage.

• Like 2

I hope, given the numerous cast changes which have occurred, that the dancers will all be credited correctly at the cinema showing (not just in the credits!), even if it's not practical to redo the PDF casting sheet in the time remaining.

1 hour ago, Sim said:

She has an incredibly heavy rehearsal schedule at the moment, plus her debut as Tatiana in a week's time, so it would have been a big ask.  As Fumi is dancing Swan Lake with Bonelli this will be an indication of things to come!

and on top of Tatiana in Onegin Naghdi is also rehearsing Dances at a Gathering, plus her IG post showed she is dancing with Vadim Muntagirov in Tokyo soon (it showed her and Vadim in Swan Lake rehearsal photos and video). Happy to see her and Matthew Ball dance the Bluebird Variation in cinema tonight, and Fumi Kaneko. Best of luck to her!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alison said:

I hope, given the numerous cast changes which have occurred, that the dancers will all be credited correctly at the cinema showing (not just in the credits!), even if it's not practical to redo the PDF casting sheet in the time remaining.

They aren’t at our Odeon. It’s obviously preprinted before the Royal Ballet announcement.

First of all, I’m sad for Lauren and wish her a good recovery. 

As for the replacements, I’m happy for Kaneko and I hope she had enough time to rehearse with Bonelli. It would make more sense to ask Yasmine to come dance Aurora, but as many have pointed out she is with a heavy load of roles at the moment and we don’t want to injure another dancer. 

In the case of the Lilac Fairy I’m not gonna lie I wish they went with Magri or Calvert ( preferably Magri after her great reviews dancing the role and the fact that I had already seen Calvert dancing this role before ). But that would open another haul of replacements so I guess to be economical Storm Jensen it is. I hope she can get over the nerves.

• Like 1

Why do so many dancers find the Lilac Fairy solo so problematic? I really don’t recall this being the case back in the day of Bergsma, Derman and Mason, Storm Jensen started really rather well, but there was an accident towards the end. I know she’s jumping in but she’s relatively experienced in the role now surely. And on the subject of accidents, did Calvert put a heel down? Sorry to be grumpy ...

• Like 1

I am traveling and don’t have my notes with me, but I believe I saw Storm-Jensen do Lilac once in the last run and 4 or 5 times this season, and each time, her variation was far from well -executed. Lilac Fairy requires more than a statuesque build and a pretty face. In a company with the depth of talent the RB currently possesses, I find it incomprehensible that a dancer who cannot execute the choreography is continually cast in the role.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Why do so many dancers find the Lilac Fairy solo so problematic? I really don’t recall this being the case back in the day of Bergsma, Derman and Mason

Maybe not those specific dancers but quite a number over the years - and not just in The Royal Ballet, either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tebasile said:

The magnificent Marianela Nunez is at the height of her abilities. Her interpretation of Aurora is more mature than in the last run, and seeing a ballerina of such confidence and artistry in a classical ballet is a privilege, whether her role is supposed to be a teenager or not.

I couldn’t agree more! I’ve watched Nela for pretty much her entire 20 years at the RB, and last night she hit a new high.

Two things struck me in particular:

She never uses her phenomenally secure technique just to show off, but always to portray the character and to “live” the music.

She exudes such joy in dancing it makes me feel joyful and happy. I don’t feel that way watching, for example, Osipova when she looks tense and nervous. 

So, brava Nela and long may she continue to delight us 👏🏻

• Like 17

Fumi was absolutely amazing!  Stable, charming, devoted wholeheartedly to the role. Last Saturday night I was lucky enough see Fumi as Lilac Fairy live at ROH, her Lilac Fairy really showed the elegance, braveness of the role. So so so happy for her!!!

Naghdi/Ball's Bluebird/Florine was stable and faultless all the time, always feel their pas de deux as a highlight of Act3.

Edited by cloudbuff
  • Like 13

I would go as far as to say that was a career-defining performance from Fumi.   And I haven’t seen Bonelli dance with such joy and buoyancy for a long time.  He was clearly inspired by his partner and the occasion.  Bring on their Swan Lake!  If tonight was anything to go by it will be beautiful.  You couldn’t wipe the huge smile off of Gary Avis’ face after the wonderful Rose Adage.  This wasn’t acting;  he was genuinely proud and thrilled for Fumi. 

Fabulous Bluebird/Florine from Naghdi/Ball.

A very special night indeed. 

• Like 22

I was watching at the Preston odeon and there was a transmission break of over five minutes in the last act and just at the most crucial point (for me anyway). I'd really enjoyed all the ballet but I was so looking forward to seeing Yasmine and Matthew as the Bluebirds. I thought their initial pas de deux was stunning and then just as Matthew was preparing to start his solo the transmission went and didn’t resume until little red riding hood so we missed virtually all the Bluebirds. I was gutted. Did other cinemas have the same problem? 

35 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Gosh that was lovely. She was absolutely superb: I was hoping for a promotion to principal epilogue. Kudos also to Bonelli who danced out of his skin, elegant and charismatic 

That was the performance not just of a principal but of a star. No wonder her prince was smitten.

I just wish they had been matched by a more credible Lilac Fairy. I did think that Gina Storm Jensen danced the variation a lot better than when I've seen her before; but in a company chock full of wonderful dramatic dancers, it is really noticeable when someone isn't expressive especially in such a crucial role. A casting decision I really don't understand.

Naghdi and Ball sensational. McNally a wonderful Carabosse. And Elizabeth McGorian the most gracious and beautiful Queen you could possibly imagine.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

That was the performance not just of a principal but of a star. No wonder her prince was smitten.

I just wish they had been matched by a more credible Lilac Fairy. I did think that Gina Storm Jensen danced the variation a lot better than when I've seen her before; but in a company chock full of wonderful dramatic dancers, it is really noticeable when someone isn't expressive especially in such a crucial role. A casting decision I really don't understand.

Naghdi and Ball sensational. McNally a wonderful Carabosse. And Elizabeth McGorian the most gracious and beautiful Queen you could possibly imagine.

So true! As far as I think, a good lilac fairy should almost serve as the sign of hope, making all the audience feel reliable in the flow of storyline. If the role is not expressive enough, it will seem very unconvincing...

• Like 2

What gorgeous Auroras The Royal Ballet has right now, from Nunez to Naghdi, Kaneko , Takada and also young O'Sullivan. All such wonderful Auroras in their own right. Next time SB is on I'll have to buy multiple tickets to see each one of these again.

Well done to Fumi Kaneko, happy all went well for her, she was really beautiful.

Naghdi and Ball were exquisite in their Bluebird Variation. Naghdi dances with such great ease and Matthew Ball was also impressive. I love their partnership. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

There are times when having zero technical knowledge of ballet is an advantage. Unless someone obviously messes up their steps (like Claire Calvert did on Saturday afternoon) I usually can't tell if a variation has gone wrong!

Claire’s toe went into a massive cramp which is why she couldn’t get in pointe.

• Like 5

Just got home from the cinema.  Well, that was a mixed bag!  I thought Kaneko and Bonelli looked good together.  I did feel nervous during the dreaded adage, but Kaneko got through it and blossomed as a believable, charming teenager throughout the rest of the ballet.  Well done her!  Bonelli was elegant, refined and very princely.  I also really enjoyed Pajdak's Fairy of the Crystal Fountain and was just restraining myself from making a fool of myself by accidentally applauding her when Magri took over the stage as the Fairy of the Enchanted Garden and fully engaged my attention.  How does she manage to project her personality so strongly even in a small part?  Anna Rose O'Sullivan was a lovely Fairy of the Song Bird too.  There was lots more to enjoy but - oh dear, I agree with the comments above about Storm-Jensen.  She should never be cast in the role of any fairy, let alone the Lilac Fairy.  (I saw Kaneko in that role last autumn and she was perfect - so dainty, beneficent and ethereal.)  Technical issues apart, Storm-Jensen looks more like a viking warrior goddess.  This isn't meant to be an insult - as a woman she is imposing but as a fairy she is simply mis-cast.  Being patriotic, I felt embarrassed to think what the alleged watchers from abroad must think about our ideas.

However, the last-minute changes that were unfortunately necessary were well coped with and our prince and princess left the audience happy and satisfied.  I was very pleased to note the warm reception Kaneko got at the beginning, and the mountain of flowers that were laid at her feet at the end.

I do hope poor Cuthbertson makes a rapid recovery - she must feel terrible about missing this performance.

• Like 4