• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the cinema in Liverpool this evening.

I'm not really keen on this production (my favourite being SPW's for BRB) but I did enjoy the performance overall.  I much prefer Lilac to be a non-dancing role - I think it makes for a better balance with the evilness of Carabosse and it needs someone with a very strong stage presence too.

I thought Fumi Kaneko was a glorious Aurora and Federico Bonelli her perfect Prince.  The gpdd caused me to have a bout of hay fever it was just so lovely.  I loved the interaction between the two of them and the way they sort of melted into each other.

I loved the Naghdi/Ball Bluebird and the pas de trois.  Puss and Red Riding Hood do absolutely nothing for me at all but I thought they were both very well performed.

To sum up - a very enjoyable performance that I am glad I went to the cinema to see.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Why do so many dancers find the Lilac Fairy solo so problematic? I really don’t recall this being the case back in the day of Bergsma, Derman and Mason, Storm Jensen started really rather well, but there was an accident towards the end. I know she’s jumping in but she’s relatively experienced in the role now surely. And on the subject of accidents, did Calvert put a heel down? Sorry to be grumpy ...

I don't have the privilege to see the past generation of dancers. But I read some articles about classic variation and lilac fairy variation and blue bird variation are regarding of one of the most difficult variations for female and males.(some even votes them as the hardest).

One of the shade variation in LB and the golden Buda variation in LB are also on top of that list. But being a shade you only need good techinic not much acting. Thus lilac fairy "wins" the difficult prize...

I don't quite understand why the decision goes this way. 

• Like 1

When I first saw Fumi dancing as one of corps members many years ago, I momentarily thought Miyako was somehow back on stage. Then I realized Fumi was taller than Miyako. However, Fumi's grace, technique, and her arm movement continued to remind me of Miyako. 

I was always certian that something wonderful would eventually happen to Fumi one day.  I am glad it did.

• Like 11

A really enjoyable performance for the cinema, with very many standout moments, as has been mentioned above.

It's all personal preference of course, but I think Gina Storm Jensen is really lovely at the mime and acting parts of lilac fairy and for me looks absolutely perfect as a good fairy. I agree that others have been more secure in the solo, but as Rob S commented, she has improved this through the run and I'm sure will continue to do so in future.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I was watching at the Preston odeon and there was a transmission break of over five minutes in the last act and just at the most crucial point (for me anyway). I'd really enjoyed all the ballet but I was so looking forward to seeing Yasmine and Matthew as the Bluebirds. I thought their initial pas de deux was stunning and then just as Matthew was preparing to start his solo the transmission went and didn’t resume until little red riding hood so we missed virtually all the Bluebirds. I was gutted. Did other cinemas have the same problem? 

I am sorry to say (for you) that there were no such problems at the cinema screening I went to and the bluebirds were totally wonderful. Hope for better for you next time.

• Like 2

I was at the cinema (no transmission problems) and I thought it was an excellent all round company performance - casting up the variations really does show even though one understands younger dancers must be given opportunities. The corps danced with commitment and musicality, the Cavaliers were synchronised. the soloist roles all well taken - the exception being the Lilac Fairy where I think the dancer can get away with the role with either a technique that can surmount the challenge of the variation or a beneficent radiance but when they have neither ..... 

Bonelli was a generous, secure partner who put huge effort into his well delivered solos.

But the evening belonged to Fumi Kaneko who was simply dazzling. It was a triumph for her to to deliver a performance of such quality having stepped into the shoes of a principal, at the last minute, in one of the most important and challenging roles in the rep for a live relay. Brava. 

• Like 12

I didn't see this yesterday, I shall be going to one of the Encore performances, if I can take the time off.  Sad for Cuthbertson, but it doesn't surprise me that Kaneko rose to the challenge.  She is a wonderful dancer, and I have always enjoyed watching her.

On the subject of the Lilac Fairy, in the past wasn't it usually a principal cast in this role?  Or at the very least a dancer who had either danced Aurora already, or went on afterwards to do so, which indicates how technically difficult the LF must be.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

Watched the cinema relay last night and Fumi's wonderful Aurora's still on my mind! She was really radiant last night, and embodied the role so perfectly... Even my not-very-into-ballet (especially adagios) husband couldn't take his eyes off her rose adagio ...

Also really enjoyed Naghdi and Ball's pdd, they really seem to have good chemistry between the two of them, and both technically wonderful :) What a night!

• Like 6

I was sorry to miss Lauren, especially as her Aurora was a highlight of the last run of SB for me.  Fumi, however was absolutely magical last night, and repaid Kevin O’Hare’s confidence in her in spades.

Her Rose Adage was superb, unrushed and secure and she looked as though she was enjoying every moment well before the end.  I loved the way the filming gave us close ups of her colleagues basically holding their breath for her and willing her through, and the focus of the princes in supporting her through the balances especially – though they need not have worried of course! 

One small detail I really appreciated was the way Fumi took the time to acknowledge each of the princes at points throughout the Rose Adage (and later, her prince).  That touch of graciousness helps create Aurora’s persona as the young princess she is supposed to be and makes the Rose Adage somehow more a part of the overall story, continuing the narrative, rather it being more a stand alone set piece.  I think this point has been raised before – I was in total agreement then and was very happy to see it yesterday.

I particularly loved Fumi’s variation in the vision scene in Act 2 as well, so delicate, remote and dreamy (shades of Viviana Durante for me here, no higher praise).   Federico Bonelli was every inch the prince and their dancing complimented very well, especially given the lack of rehearsal time they must have had.

Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball, as Bluebirds, just shone in the final act and for me they alone were worth the price of admission (sorry to the poster whose transmission cut at that point, really bad luck!)

I just wanted to add, without getting into the details of this particular performance (though I didn’t think it a bad one from Gina SJ) that I really dislike the lilac fairy variation.  As others have said, hardly anyone can perform it really well and even when they occasionally do, the choreography isn’t particularly attractive, though I can see it fits the difficult timing of the music at this point.  There must be another way, as it becomes an ordeal for the audience and dancers alike - or maybe that’s just me!  I remember thinking that even Marianela appeared to approach it with extreme caution.

In summary though, for all the other lovely performances, the night belonged to Fumi Kaneko - a total star.  Darcey at the end seemed to be bursting with pride in her and I think we could all understand how she felt.  So many congratulations.

• Like 14

The Director clearly has confidence in Storm-Jensen, and I trust this is not misplaced. He has a decent track record in nurturing talent after all. This would not be the first time that a dancer has struggled with the move from rehearsal room to stage and, whilst there is a limit, I hope the Director keeps faith so that we get the chance to see what he sees.

We should also bear in mind that, with Stix-Brunell off stage for the past two months, we have been down a lilac.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Texan said:

When I first saw Fumi dancing as one of corps members many years ago, I momentarily thought Miyako was somehow back on stage. Then I realized Fumi was taller than Miyako. However, Fumi's grace, technique, and her arm movement continued to remind me of Miyako. 

I'm not usually one for picking young dancers out of the corps early, but I made an exception for Kaneko: I remember asking friends who the young Japanese dancer was, so she'd obviously struck me right from the beginning.

• Like 2

I don't think there have been any others, have there?  I've only seen Calvert, and Storm Jensen on repeat.  I've been very sorry to miss the others.  But at least I did get to see Cuthbertson in her December performance, which was very good, and I'd been looking forward to seeing her on the big screen :( 

• Like 1

I was at the ROH last night for the final performance. After a horrific day at work, it was such a wonderful way to unwind!

Sad not to see Lauren Cuthbertson, but my friend and I were thrilled that if she needed replacing, Fumi was definitely one of our preferred choices. Her rose adage was solid and assured and I actually got quite emotional (for her!) as she received rapturous applause for such a high profile performance. What a career making moment! Speaking of assured and solid performances, lovely to see her looked after by Gary Avis as her English prince. 
Bonelli was the perfect prince for a last minute switch- he is such a generous partner and a gentleman as well as a beautiful dancer. It was sweet to see them exchanging words as they took their post pdd applause. 

Contrary to general opinion, I actually really liked Gina Storm Jensen in the role of the lilac fairy. I am not, on the whole, her biggest fan, but I do think this role really suits her. Yes there were some iffy moments, but there were equally a few iffy moments from the wider cast, despite this being the end of the run. For example, at one point during the cavaliers’ allegro in act 1, it did seem as though not everyone was completely on time with each other/the music. 

Glorious prologue-  great cast of fairies and their cavaliers- too many to name individually. Absolutely adore Kristen McNally as Carabosse, one of my favourite roles for her, such strong acting ability. 

Act 3 bluebird pdd was very special with my favorite pairing- Naghdi/Ball. Ball’s second solo with all of those brisées (please correct me if needed) was incredible and he such authority on the stage. Romany Padjack was a lovely Red Riding Hood and Florestan and sisters dances beautifully by Hay, O’Sullivan and Magri.

Despite all of the stars and rising stars in Act 3, the grand pas de deux shone the most brightly.

As a final comment, the audience was quite electric last night which I hope came across in the cinema!

• Like 14

For the record, no streaming problems into Saffron Screen - where there was the customary full house of relatively older citizens.  The show went down well and my wife,  with lots of prior experience of the production in days gone by, was highly complimentary and with only very minor observations to make.  The very late substitution must have made it a very special night for Fumi Kaneko and she reacted magnificently.  And I'd agree with others who seem to feel, like me, that Gary Avis watched over her with more than customary attention during the Rose Adagio.  (And on something else already mentioned - has the RB ever promoted someone on stage after a show?  As the end approached, I was wondering if it might happen.  Oh, and a bit of pre-emptive applause suggested that a number of folk seemed not to know that the show isn't over till we get Vive Henri Quatre for a big final tableau to rival that in Firebird.)

And a real extra for me was to see Cathy Marston in the second Interval, with jazzy hairdo, talking about creating The Cellist with Darcey and Anita Rani, who was not at all in her Countryfile rig.  Roll on 17 February!

• Like 7

Oh, it did, Blossom! We could feel Gary Avis’ tenderness for his partner, Bonelli, whom I adore, was on fire and as for Fumi Kaneko herself, I am lost for words. She was a brilliant star last night and I was in tears in several places. I love Kristen McNally  too and the scene with her and her rat accomplices was so much wicked pleasure. As for the final act, the cinema audience broke into spontaneous applause the whole way through it, a thing I have never experienced here before. Bravo, Royal Ballet! You’ve done it again!

• Like 10

Great appreciation in our Cinema....spontaneous applause (which is rare) and one gentleman nearby was chuckling in pure delight at some of the variations. Sorry for Lauren, but well done Kumi, and lovely to see Bonelli again. Also loved James Hay with his "sisters".

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

And on something else already mentioned - has the RB ever promoted someone on stage after a show? 

Yes, although I'm not sure they'd do it publicly as with the famous Paris Opera Ballet on-screen promotion of Ludmila Pagliero (hope I've spelled that properly) after La Baydère: Sarah Wildor, Edward Watson, Lauren Cuthbertson and Rupert Pennefather spring to mind - they were all post-show promotions, so I assume they were on-stage ones.  Alina Cojocaru was a mid-season promotion, but I'm not sure whether it was on-stage or not.

For the record, my best guess at casting. Debuts with asterisk. Missing dancers, or dancers I was expecting to appear but didn’t, are in brackets. Florestan is a mess. Not comprehensive. Did you see them all? I didn’t, lost 4 shows to the train strike. The one I did see was the most important one though. O’Sullivan’s debut will live long in the memory.

Lilac (5) - Kaneko, Magri*, Calvert, Mendizabal, Storm-Jensen (Stix-Brunell, Heap)

Carabosse (5) - McNally, Mendizabal*, Forskitt (guest), Arestis, McGorian (Cowley)

Crystal Fountain (4) - Stix-Brunell, Turk, Pajdak, Choe (Cowley, Stock)

Enchanted Garden (3) - Magri, Hinkis*, Stix-Brunell (Heap)

Woodland Glades (4) - Calvert, Hang*, Kaneko, Hamilton

Songbird (4) - O'Sullivan, Maeda*, Hinks, Gasparini (Stock)

Golden Vine (4) - Choe, Dias*, Hamilton*, O'Sullivan

Florestan (9,6,6) - Hay, Magri, O'Sullivan; Richardson*, Buvoli*, Pajdak*; Acri, Hinkis, Stix-Brunell; Ella/Donnelly*, Gasparini, Sasaki; Edmonds with Pajdak, Hamilton and Dias*, Calvert; also Dubreuil*; Zucchetti; Clarke

White Cat (4) - Stock, Kay; Bradbury*, Emerton*; Ella, Allnatt*; Dean, Dixon*

Bluebird (7+1) - Hayward, Sambe; O'Sullivan, Sissens*; Hamilton*, Corrales*; Hinkis, Hay; Choe, Acri; Naghdi, Ball; Mendizabal, Zucchetti; Magri (with Corrales, Ball, and Zucchetti)

Red Riding Hood (4) - Pajdak, Edmonds; Dean*, Donnelly; Gasparini, Mock; Allnatt*, Emerton

• Like 4

On stage promotions do happen but I think that if it were to happen this season KOH would leave it for Swan Lake. But since only 2 out of the 3 ballerinas that I think are being watched over for that promotion will be debuting on the O/O role, I think they will leave the news to be delivered off stage.

I was just thinking that I can’t remember a dancer from the Royal Ballet that has danced O/O and didn’t received a promotion to principal eventually so that says a lot about the role.

47 minutes ago, Ingrid said:

I was just thinking that I can’t remember a dancer from the Royal Ballet that has danced O/O and didn’t received a promotion to principal eventually so that says a lot about the role.

Deirdre Eyden, Christina McDermott, Muriel Valtat, Pippa Wylde...

• Like 1

Ah well, if we are going to post up film from Youtube, here are the following.  I am going to make no comment at all about this, I shall wait for others to draw their own conclusions!

Here is a clip of Claire Calvert which must be fairly recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0eqzWD1HH8

Compare and contrast with one of Marguerite Porter in the same role.  She comes on at 5.46:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kj260hvCk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Deirdre Eyden, Christina McDermott, Muriel Valtat, Pippa Wylde...

I should’ve added recently. I was referring more to the current cast of principals and from the 2000’s till now. Differently from other famous ( and difficult) roles like Nikya, Juliet, Manon or Aurora where we have many first soloist who have danced those roles but didn’t necessarily receive a promotion. 

Edited by Ingrid
Add context