Thoughts from last night:

The magnificent Marianela Nunez is at the height of her abilities. Her interpretation of Aurora is more mature than in the last run, and seeing a ballerina of such confidence and artistry in a classical ballet is a privilege, whether her role is supposed to be a teenager or not.
Vadim Muntagirov - pyrotechnics were astonishing as always, but his Act II solo almost moved me to tears.
Magri and Zucchetti were the most lively Bluebirds I've seen in this run.

Why do even the best of dancers look so uncomfortable in the Prologue? 

Going to a performance of Sleeping Beauty and then hearing the score at twice the speed in the shop is a strange experience.

Is Téo Dubreuil the RB's answer to Timothée Chalamet?

• Like 5

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

Was last night Teo Dubreuil's debut as  Florestan? I've been to rather a lot of Sleeping Beauties but hadn't seen him before.

Surely he's done it before?

And what's this about Chalamet?

Just to add to the many shouts about last night; thought Nunez's coda in the first act - replete with those retarding turns on the diagonal that nuzzled her flashing eyes - was breathtaking.  Thought too that Muntagirov was as stunning in the dramatic department as he was - as expected - technically.  Am oft bored stiff by that boat ride but Muntagirov made his very much a personal journey of the soul rife with a defined beginning, middle and end.  No small feat.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I don't recall ever seeing a more rivetingly accomplished performance of this ballet from the two leads. Aurora's Act 1 solo (after the Rose Adagio) and the Prince's Act 3 variation were out of this world.

I loved the way she finished in the final pose almost with a shrug, as if to say "look how easy"... :D

• Like 1

Obviously I should have kept my mouth shut. Poor Lauren :(  I'm a little surprised at them putting a First Soloist in for a cinema broadcast (although of course William Bracewell is scheduled as Siegfried), but then Kaneko has been one of the stalwarts of this run.

Storm-Jensen moves into Lilac in her place.

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm a little surprised at them putting a First Soloist in for a cinema broadcast (although of course William Bracewell is scheduled as Siegfried), but then Kaneko has been one of the stalwarts of this run.

Me too, surprised it didn't go to Naghdi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tebasile said:

Me too, surprised it didn't go to Naghdi.

She has an incredibly heavy rehearsal schedule at the moment, plus her debut as Tatiana in a week's time, so it would have been a big ask.  As Fumi is dancing Swan Lake with Bonelli this will be an indication of things to come!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, alison said:

Obviously I should have kept my mouth shut. Poor Lauren :(  I'm a little surprised at them putting a First Soloist in for a cinema broadcast (although of course William Bracewell is scheduled as Siegfried), but then Kaneko has been one of the stalwarts of this run.

Storm-Jensen moves into Lilac in her place.

I too am a bit surprised that they haven't got a Principal replacement Aurora but even more surprised that Storm-Jensen is doing the Lilac Fairy given she's "only" a First Artist. I would have thought Calvert or Magri, both of whom I think are due to be doing fairies tonight, would be called in. It's not that I don't like Storm-Jensen, I do, but usually for cinecasts the casting seems to very much favour seniority in rank.

• Like 2

But then you have to reschedule so much of the other casting at the last minute, which is probably a bit tough on the rescheduled dancers (Magri, for instance, would have to be replaced both in the Prologue and as one of Florestan's sisters in Act III.  And then you'd have to replace the replacements ...). This may be the most economical way of doing it.

Anyway, best of luck to Kaneko: I'm sure she'll be great.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I too am a bit surprised that they haven't got a Principal replacement Aurora but even more surprised that Storm-Jensen is doing the Lilac Fairy given she's "only" a First Artist. I would have thought Calvert or Magri, both of whom I think are due to be doing fairies tonight, would be called in. It's not that I don't like Storm-Jensen, I do, but usually for cinecasts the casting seems to very much favour seniority in rank.

With not many options available, I would have put Hinkis in for Mayara as a fairy and put Mayara on as Lilac.  In ballet heaven, Marianela would be called in to do it!!  :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

With not many options available, I would have put Hinkis in for Mayara as a fairy and put Mayara on as Lilac.  In ballet heaven, Marianela would be called in to do it!!  :)

I'd've loved it to be Mayara, as I didn't manage to see her do it, whereas I've seen Gina 2 out of 3 live viewings so would have quite liked to see someone else! When did Marianela last dance the role? She hasn't for a few years, has she?

Sad for Cuthbertson but good opportunity for Fumi Kaneko. I assume as Yasmine Naghdi had the honour of dancing the Opening Night of Sleeping Beauty, and with her Tatiana debut in Onegin coming up next week, it would have been a really big ask (after all she also replaced Akane Takada in Act 3 with no notice). As Naghdi is scheduled to dance Bluebird with Ball (their one and only Bluebird pd2 in this run) it would have been a nightmare for Mr. O'Hare to switch many scheduled dancers around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xandra Newman said:

Sad for Cuthbertson but good opportunity for Fumi Kaneko. I assume as Yasmine Naghdi had the honour of dancing the Opening Night of Sleeping Beauty, and with her Tatiana debut in Onegin coming up next week, it would have been a really big ask (after all she also replaced Akane Takada in Act 3 with no notice). As Naghdi is scheduled to dance Bluebird with Ball (their one and only Bluebird pd2 in this run) it would have been a nightmare for Mr. O'Hare to switch many scheduled dancers around. 

They actually danced Bluebird the other night!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd've loved it to be Mayara, as I didn't manage to see her do it, whereas I've seen Gina 2 out of 3 live viewings so would have quite liked to see someone else! When did Marianela last dance the role? She hasn't for a few years, has she?

I would like to have seen Magri's Lilac this evening as it was lovely,  and surely it would have made more sense, Storm-Jensen had yet another unsuccessful attempt at the variation yesterday evening ! 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

No, it's been a few years, but being Marianela she would just step right back into it, and beautifully.

• Like 3