Royal Ballet: Manon, autumn 2019

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Disaster!!! Steven has just injured himself in the last scene of act 2 when he’s on his own before a bloody Lescaut turns up!!

Mr O’Hare has announced a delay.

Oh no, I don't believe it, especially after putting in so much work (and with such good grace) to recover from his previous injury. I really hope that its nothing serious. 

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Oh no, I don't believe it, especially after putting in so much work (and with such good grace) to recover from his previous injury. I really hope that its nothing serious. 

I don’t know exactly what the injury is but he was only doing a ‘minor spin thing’ and then he pulled up after a bit of a cracking noise, he walked off unaided stage left 

Edited by Rob S

18 minutes ago, Rob S said:

when he’s on his own before a bloody Lescaut turns up!!

I had to read that twice to work out if your were describing Lescaut's charater or appearance!

How awfully unlucky for McRae's first performance back. I suppose it'll mean he'll be out of Raymonda Act 3 as a minimum & if it's serious then probably SB & Coppelia too. (As a recent ballet-viewer I have yet to manage to see McRae live, he's been off so much.)

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I had to read that twice to work out if your were describing Lescaut's charater or appearance!

How awfully unlucky for McRae's first performance back. I suppose it'll mean he'll be out of Raymonda Act 3 as a minimum & if it's serious then probably SB & Coppelia too. (As a recent ballet-viewer I have yet to manage to see McRae live, he's been off so much.)

Yes it’s the first time I’ve seen him live too, I was enjoying this performance even more than yesterday’s.

We are all about to start again for probably two minutes, (edit: it was Manon that was about to turn up for the final scene )and then it’s the second interval. 

Edited by Rob S

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

That's nice to hear. Presumably, they finished the whole show?

I feel desperately sorry for Steven. Poor man: I cannot imagine a worse scenario.

Yes they finished the whole show, second interval shortened to 20 minutes and the performance finished at 2238.

• Like 2

I don't like the reports of a cracking sound....I hope it's not his Achilles...as unlikely to be a bone if he didn't fall over. 

I really feel for him if it's been announced its a serious injury so soul destroying having just recovered. 

I wonder if Reece Clarke happened to be in the theatre...or audience tonight to be able to take over so quickly. 

An opportunity for him though obviously not in the best circumstances. 

Has Akane Takada danced with him before? Must have been pretty difficult to focus into that last Act 

I think she still has another performance to come.

15 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don't like the reports of a cracking sound....I hope it's not his Achilles...as unlikely to be a bone if he didn't fall over. 

I really feel for him if it's been announced its a serious injury so soul destroying having just recovered. 

No he didn’t fall over and it seemed to be just after a basic slow spin on one foot, not on landing after a massive leap or similar.

8 hours ago, capybara said:

With regard to the RB 'marketing' its stars, I sense that it is averse to any one of them being actually promoted by the RB itself as 'first among equals'. But this has happened anyway (with the recruitment of Osipova) and is currently happening, for various reasons, some of them external, with Hayward, Ball and Sambe..

It began much earlier. As far as I remember no other RB member was ‘marketed’ by the company with greater vigor than Darcey Bussell.

Very upset to hear about McRae's injury. Best wishes to him for speedy recovery.

Edited by Amelia
Separated the last line.
  • Like 1

As others hoping McRae recovers soon - I have booked to see him in Coppelia and was looking forward to it so fingers crossed it’s not as serious as it might sound and he’s back on main stage soon (but not too soon as to cause further damage). 

Bravo to Akane for carrying on with a new partner and Clarke for stepping in. Whilst incredibly unfortunate for McRae one positive may be that Clarke gets a bit more recognition (presumably he’ll also partner Takada in the second performance of Manon, although hoping McRae may be back for that but sadly it seems unlikely if the injury is serious). This of course doesn’t detract from the fact that the best scenario is of course no injuries for all! 

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Did the company do that, though, or did she?

I think Darcey had an agent so presumably it was her/her agent, though her agent may have also worked closely with ROH I imagine to ensure it stayed ‘on brand’ and tied in with certain performances?

I wonder this about Hayward also  - a lot of her PR doesn’t necessarily seem to be ROH led so I imagine she has her own agent (almost certainly now anyway following Cats). 

Sambe is in my opinion so far being promoted by ROH (in that I don’t think he has his own agent or anything). But that may change! 

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

Oh dear that is awful and so disheartening for him I hope he recovers asap.

A very difficult ballet to suddenly have to adjust to a new partner too. 

i hope  Reece Clarke had time to practice those treacherous throw-twist lifts during interval. i've not really heard of him before.

it seems there should always be covers for the leads just in case.

8 minutes ago, redshoesgirl2 said:

i hope  Reece Clarke had time to practice those treacherous throw-twist lifts during interval. i've not really heard of him before.

it seems there should always be covers for the leads just in case.

Reece Clarke has already performed the role (and other principal roles) with the RB.

• Like 7