Royal Ballet: Manon, autumn 2019

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob those photos are great (my own were hopeless), and so poignant....Akane Takada seemed pretty devastated at the end, no doubt due to all  the emotional energy she expended over some 3 hours, both in the performance itself, as Manon  (which takes so much out of the dancers) and because of the  awful injury to her partner Steven McRae. It had all been going so well up to that point. What a horrible return for him after a series of injuries. Of course it was also Akane's first time back, after an injury at the end of last season, so I am sure she will be very aware of how he is feeling. Best wishes for his recovery a.s.a.p.

It is such a shame that her wonderful interpretation of Manon was overshadowed in this way.   Every change of Manon's  feelings was so expressive  on her face  and in her movements - her arms and hands alone are a sheer delight to watch. So attractive in Act 1, so sensual  in Act 2, so broken in Act 3.  

Reece Clarke did a superb job in partnering her in these circumstances. I would love to see him in a full performance. You would have thought  they might hold back in Act 3 but not as far as I could see - all the twists, turns, jumps and lifts done to perfection. 

I loved that Akane gave him that rose from her bouquet - you could see how appreciative she was. 

Such a bitter/sweet evening! 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 12

I should add how professional, and how well-rehearsed and trained, these dancers are, to be able to adjust themselves in this way, and also how  well all the RB/ROH staff, dancers, musicians etc. handled this situation and managed to bring off a fine, complete performance in these circumstances.  

So grateful to them all!

• Like 14

Just heartbreaking. A horrible thing to witness. It looked so innocuous, but McRae's distress was palpable. I hope the injury is not so bad as O’Hare’s somber tone would suggest.

Credit to all at ROH for the way they handled the situation. Bigger credit to Reece Clarke for stepping in and Takada for trusting him in difficult circumstances.

It seems churlish to comment on the performance itself, but things were shaping up so well. The start seemed slow to me, the music felt snail’s pace, but McRae was really coming alive in act 2. Takada is surely one of the best MacMillan dancers in the company, such nuance and detail. Hay showing once again that he is criminally underused, the quality of his dancing and the depth of characterisation is a feat to behold. Clarke seems like he has deepened his interpretation since last run. I’d like to see him given a public show, but wonder if the height difference with Takada might be a bridge too far.

Thoughts remain with McRae. I hope he makes a full recovery and is back on stage when he feels ready.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 15

13 hours ago, alison said:

Did the company do that, though, or did she?

This is known, although originally it wasn’t. The independently purchased promotion of the young DB was first a ‘secret’ (presumably as it was thought to be ‘not very Royal Ballet’) and then a ‘scandal’ (at least to some, because of those who resented what was seen as an unfair advantage).

After a while the story got lost in the general adulation. Not sure this has ever been written up properly. In any case, some would say it pays to advertise. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

Poor poor Steven McRae.  My heart goes out to him.  He is having a very tough time having been out for so long with multiple surgeries and now another injury on his first performance back.  Reminds me of David Hallberg’s calf injury in Giselle on his first performance at ROH after 2 years out.  There can be a better future 🤞

Thrilled to hear of how wonderful Akane was (she is perfect IMO) and also of how good was James Hay’s interpretation of Lescaut.  I agree he has been under utilised from my first seeing him replacing Steven McRae in Les Lutins 10 years ago in Cuba.  So talented. 

My congratulations to Reece for stepping in, though the height difference between Akane and Reece is rather incongruous.   Surely one of the other ‘smaller’ principals could have been on standby.  I believe that is what other theatres (eg Mariinsky) do.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, JNC said:

I wonder this about Hayward also  - a lot of her PR doesn’t necessarily seem to be ROH led so I imagine she has her own agent (almost certainly now anyway following Cats). 

Francesca Hayward does have an agent and has made no secret of that.

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Thrilled to hear of how wonderful Akane was (she is perfect IMO) and also of how good was James Hay’s interpretation of Lescaut.  I agree he has been under utilised from my first seeing him replacing Steven McRae in Les Lutins 10 years ago in Cuba.  So talented. 

My congratulations to Reece for stepping in, though the height difference between Akane and Reece is rather incongruous.   Surely one of the other ‘smaller’ principals could have been on standby.

Totally agree about Akane, Fiona, and also about  James Hay - I forgot to mention him earlier. He acted and danced really well.  

Actually I didn't see any  problem in the height difference between Reece and Akane - they were fine together, especially considering the  short notice.  She has danced as Kitri with Muntagirov, with Polunin (at least in a gala) and with Golding, as Giselle with Soares and Ella, as Odette/Odile with Bonelli and Bracewell, in Woolf Works with Watson, as  Juliet with Hirano.....etc. etc.  I'm not sure how all these gentlemen compare in height but she has certainly not been constrained by  needing  smaller  dancers.    

Reece had  already been dancing as a "client" so I expect he would have been warmed up, and that it would have taken much longer to get anyone else in. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, FionaE said:

My congratulations to Reece for stepping in, though the height difference between Akane and Reece is rather incongruous.   Surely one of the other ‘smaller’ principals could have been on standby.  I believe that is what other theatres (eg Mariinsky) do.  

Simply awful for Steven McRae.

Of course, Alexander Campbell partnered Akane Takada last time (replacing Steven McRae)...

• Like 1

Steven McRae has posted this on his (public) Instagram account:

'WELL THAT WAS DRAMATIC

Last night I stepped onto the @royaloperahouse stage alongside the wonderful @akanetakane performing MANON with the same mentality that I always adopt which is ‘To Dance like it is the last time you will ever Dance’ - I was enjoying the performance so much and felt a sense of freedom in Act 2 that I search for on a daily basis HOWEVER my body said ‘No’ and I felt something go terribly wrong in my Achilles towards the end of Act 2 in front of the audience..... I was no longer able to continue with the performance....
My heart goes out to Akane and to @reececlarke_ for stepping in to complete the performance 🙏
At this stage I am unclear of the damage however I do know that I LIKE A CHALLENGE and I have a feeling this is going to be MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE YET 💪🏻
Thank you for all of the messages of support!'

• Like 20

Almost makes me want to weep. How much bad luck can a dancer have in one year!! 

Unfortunately Steven is experiencing that the body cannot be pushed as far as it ages 😢 

But he is an artist and Professional ....so just went for it ....cannot blame him for that! 

But what a lovely message and hope he is back dancing again very soon though Achilles can be a bit of a long one unfortunately 😔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Almost makes me want to weep. How much bad luck can a dancer have in one year!! 

Unfortunately Steven is experiencing that the body cannot be pushed as far as it ages 😢 

Isn't McRae only something like 33 or 34 though? That doesn't seem that old, even in ballet terms. I mean, Bolle still looked in jolly good condition last week & he's a decade older.

I'm en route to London for tonight's Manon. Fingers crossed no-one gets injured this time!

• Like 1

It's more injury recovery time as you get older....it does take longer...even in 30's ....but obviously the fitter you are will help recovery time etc.

The problem is with some injuries is they can become a weak spot and can then re- occur. 

In terms of general dance fitness ....if no major injuries ...most dancers don't start losing form until mid 40's 

By that I mean can't jump as high, maintain higher extensions, lose speed in fast turns etc 

Doesnt mean they can't dance but harder to keep to professional standards after about 45 ....but with some variation of course. 

Some dancers go on longer ... like Fonteyn ...who went on until 60 plus ...but even she had to start choosing roles more carefully by then!! 

Its not the performance ability that goes.... but purely the physical technique. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Actually I didn't see any  problem in the height difference between Reece and Akane - they were fine together, especially considering the  short notice.  She has danced as Kitri with Muntagirov, with Polunin (at least in a gala) and with Golding, as Giselle with Soares and Ella, as Odette/Odile with Bonelli and Bracewell, in Woolf Works with Watson, as  Juliet with Hirano.....etc. etc.  I'm not sure how all these gentlemen compare in height but she has certainly not been constrained by  needing  smaller  dancers.    

I agree a petite woman with a tall man doesn't look too bad on stage or off.  At least I hope not as there is a ten inch difference between my life partner and me!  What I don't like in ballet is short men with tall or medium women.  Of course, in 'real life' that is fine too.

Beatriz Stix-Brunell replaced by Yuhui Choe as the Mistress tonight. I can't say Choe would have been my preference for seeing one of the Mistresses a second time but presumably the others are either busy or too tall for Zuchetti.

ETA: No wonder one sometimes sees double booking issues. I swapped my ticket for Manon & was told I didn't need to return the old one as it would be void. I just realised when I got to my seat that I've accidentally brought the old ticket rather than the new one, yet it still scanned alright! At least I twigged before trying to sit in the wrong seat.

Edited by Dawnstar

So sorry for Steven McRae :(

When we think Reece Clarke was not among the dancers promoted last Summer... Hello Mr O'Hare ???  

He should be promoted after yesterday evening....  I really don't understand this policy as Reece Clarke gets more roles than the new first soloist....

• Like 2

So sorry to hear the news of McRae’s injury - and it seemed to have started so well. I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

congratulations to Takada and Clarke for carrying the show - true professionals.

i do hope any more drama is limited to the production!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh dear, not more cast changes!  Choe's having a busy time of it

Afraid so. Also Acri replacing Edmonds as one of the Gentlemen. Clake is on again as another of them despite his unexpected extra exertions last night - I'd've thought they'd give him tonight off after that! Also Whitehead does appear to be on as the Gaoler tonight, having been replaced this past Saturday, so at least he must have only had something minor.

2 hours ago, MAX said:

So sorry for Steven McRae :(

When we think Reece Clarke was not among the dancers promoted last Summer... Hello Mr O'Hare ???  

He should be promoted after yesterday evening....  I really don't understand this policy as Reece Clarke gets more roles than the new first soloist....

Would love to see Clarke promoted but not (just) because he’s filled in last minute...more because he is capable of dancing these roles at first soloist level. I believe his casting in Sleeping Beauty at least is a hopeful sign that O’Hare is certainly considering it at least! 

On the other hand not everyone can be promoted...look at someone like Benjamin Ella who has danced Albrecht but remains a soloist (which in a company the level of RB is not something to be looked down on!). Ultimately I think O’Hare is quite good at making casting choices fairly and giving non-principals good opportunity to dance these roles occasionally which I think is a good compromise if promotion isn’t possible for whatever reason. 

(Saying that I do think Clarke is deserving of a promotion to first soloist so hopefully it’ll be good news next year!) 

• Like 6

I'm not quite sure if I feel exhausted now because of tonight's performance or because when I got to Covent Garden tube there was a big queue to get in & an announcement that only 2 of the lifts were working so I had to dash up to Holborn! I didn't have much time as I'd been waiting at the stage door just in case any of tonight's leads happened to exit quickly. They didn't, but I did spot Edward Watson leaving & spoke to him (hope I wasn't contravening any unwritten RB ettiquette by speaking to someone who was there as a coach rather than a dancer).

Watson's Des Grieux coaching was certainly effective: I was extremely impressed by Matthew Ball & could hardly believe it was only his 2nd ever public performance of the role. The bedroom pdd was joyous and then after that he was so heartbreakingly, desparately in love with Manon. I started crying when he ripped the bracelet off Manon's wrist because you knew it was hurting him more than her. I was sobbing in the final pdd (again - I'm thinking this may be permanent, like the Rosenkavalier trio). Considering I wasn't completely on board with his Romeo - I mean, I thought he was good but preferred him as Tybalt - I'm very pleased to find his Des Grieux absolutely worked for me. (Has he also done Lescaut in the past, like he did both Romeo & Tybalt?) Having seen Bolle, who didn't entirely work for me, and Campbell, Muntagirov & Ball, who all have, I'm leaning towards thinking that boyishness is an essential quality for Des Grieux. I'm therefore interested to see how I'll find Bonelli when I see him.

Cuthbertson I found quite enigmatic, I wasn't sure at the end of Act 1 & in Act 2 scene 1 what her Manon really thought about her situation. In fact, considering all the comments with people finding Lamb cold, I actually found her easier to read in the role than Cuthbertson. I thought Cuthbertson was best in Act 2 scene 2 & throughout Act 3. At the start I didn't feel she came over as quite naive enough. I'm not sure she's a natural ingenue?

I didn't find Zuchetti quite unpleasant enough in Act 1, perhaps because I think he's got an inherently likeable face, but thought he was very good in Act 2. One side-effect of not finding him as unpleasant was that it did seem more plausible that Lescaut & Des Grieux have made friends. I thought Choe had better chemistry with Zuchetti tonight than Sambe last week & that her acting seemed to be more varied, though whether that was actually the case or just that I saw different things from sitting on the opposite side of the auditorium I don't know.

In the face of strong competition, I think Whitehead's the most unpleasant Gaoler I've seen. The second scene of Act 3 was brutal. I could feel my heart thumping just from watching Cuthbertson struggling with him, including punching him on the chest which I don't recall seeing before, then Ball dashing in & stabbing him.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Also Whitehead does appear to be on as the Gaoler tonight, having been replaced this past Saturday, so at least he must have only had something minor.

He was Monsieur G.M. last night, too.

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

(Has he also done Lescaut in the past, like he did both Romeo & Tybalt?)

No.

• Like 2

Apparently Steven McRae seriously injured his Achilles way back in 2008 

He made a miraculous come back from that after being told it was unlikely he would dance again! 

Hopefully he will make a similar recovery now fingers crossed. 

Being determined to get back from big setbacks like this shows just how much he must love what he does. 

Heres hoping he will be dancing Des Grieux in Manon in the next run. 

Back to this run........

• Like 5

@Dawnstar your review is exactly the same as how I felt after watching that cast last week (although I had Stix-Brunell instead of Choe). 

Standout was Ball - I hope when Manon comes back he is perhaps paired with someone else (Naghdi’s Manon debut perhaps, or Hayward!). I didn’t dislike Cuthbertson in the role but I would like to see him with someone else as it could be the best Manon! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm therefore interested to see how I'll find Bonelli when I see him.

I think the Morera/Bonelli partnership one of the Royal Ballet’s finest jewels.

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

In the face of strong competition, I think Whitehead's the most unpleasant Gaoler I've seen.

I take it that’s the highest praise.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Rob S said:

Obviously when Lescaut gets told his scheduled mistress is injured and is asked who he wants as a replacement they all want the same one, and who can blame them? 🙂

yu1

agree.  I absolutely loved Yuhui’s interpretation, so much more lyrical light and coquettish than others.  Such beautiful soft flowing arms.  Brava 🌟👏

• Like 7

I went to the performance last night and am still trying to decide what I thought. After the extreme highs (for me) of the Nunez/Bolle performances, I certainly did not get the same emotional pull. I booked for Matthew Ball specifically and he definitely didn't disappoint. I also like Lauren Cuthbertson's interpretation of the role which is different in that she is a much more thoughtful Manon, and you don't sense that she ever really gives herself to M.GM , she's always in love with Des Grieux.  Of course, one could argue - is this how Manon is really meant to be, but I like to see different interpretations, so I don't mind.

It could be then, that I saw 2 excellent dancers, partnered together, as opposed to 2 excellent dancers partnered together who had a real emotional connection. I didn't feel a spark although I enjoyed the performance very much indeed.

Bennet Gartside isn't as nasty a M GM as Gary Avis and at one point I began to wonder if he was even meaning to play him as nasty. Tom Whitehead is a particularly brutal Gaoler and has a powerful physical presence.

I have an eye for detail and enjoyed watching some completely different interplay before and during the card scene.   Also timing - last night Matthew Ball got the travelling bag all the way down the gangplank and onto the floor, whereas Roberto Bolle didn't manage it on either occasion, because the Gaoler had moved in on Manon much faster and he therefore had to react to that.  (Yes, I know I'm sad)   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I have an eye for detail and enjoyed watching some completely different interplay before and during the card scene.   Also timing - last night Matthew Ball got the travelling bag all the way down the gangplank and onto the floor, whereas Roberto Bolle didn't manage it on either occasion, because the Gaoler had moved in on Manon much faster and he therefore had to react to that.  (Yes, I know I'm sad)   

I noticed the bag in the Osipova/Hallberg performance, because I thought Hallberg was in danger of tripping over it and coming down the gangplank head first... another moment of anxiety in that performance!

• Like 1