Royal Ballet: Manon, autumn 2019

Oh, believe me, you will un-notice it, Ruth!  I still do, all the time.  I was supposed to be looking for Muntagirov's entrance the other day, and still just missed it by a fraction of a second.  I usually get to the gentleman dancing a certain sequence and - oh drat, I missed it again!

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, alison said:

Oh, believe me, you will un-notice it, Ruth!  I still do, all the time.  I was supposed to be looking for Muntagirov's entrance the other day, and still just missed it by a fraction of a second.  I usually get to the gentleman dancing a certain sequence and - oh drat, I missed it again!

I was like that with Juliet’s ‘not tonight I have a headache’ pose....I missed it 6 out of 7 times in the last run 

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:19, Tony Newcombe said:

Yuhui listed on tonight’s cast sheet. So not a last minute injury to Yasmine

Now confirmed that Choe replaces Naghdi as Lescaut's Mistress this coming Saturday.

On 10/10/2019 at 14:21, Sim said:

Yes, some were near me as well.  I have never seen applause for Des Grieux’s entrance before, and I found it wholly inappropriate.  

Well, I applauded, as one would for a Principal on their first entrance - and I'm not part of his travelling fan club.  I also applauded Marianela coming on as Manon.  I read somewhere that the dancers like this, coming on to eerie silence can be a bit unwelcoming.  I agree though, that it's rare in Manon for Des Grieux. . 

I know the exact place in the music when Des Grieux makes his entrance so I always look for him. But, yes, sometimes he's there before you know it. Bolle made his entrance from the mid/ right back of the stage as you look at it. I think some Des Grieux's come on from right at the back - slightly right.  

On 10/10/2019 at 13:36, prs59 said:

After last night, Robert has at least one new fan and, judging by the audience reaction during and after the performance and the multiple curtain calls that continued long after the lights came up, I suspect I am not alone. It was a special evening and one that I feel privileged to have seen.

Yes, 10 minutes of curtain calls and I think it's clear that both principal dancers' posts on social media show they thought it was a particularly special performance.  They do dance together at La Scala too, and clearly have a connection.   

I can't wait for tomorrow evening.     

Tonight's performance felt more like an event than the others I've been to, especially the curtain calls which went on for a lot longer. Presumably the general assumption is that it was likely to be the last time Bolle is seen on the ROH stage. I was starting from rather the wrong end, in that I was seeing him for the first time. I can see why he's famous, his technique still looked very good to my inexperienced eyes & being tall, dark & handsome doesn't hurt either! However despite all that I didn't find myself heartbroken for him in the way I was for Muntagirov & Campbell. I found his acting a bit too generic overall to really move me. I did still cry a bit in the final pdd but I think that was as much the glorious music as the dancing. Actually it was nice to be able to see all the choreography in the final pdd, as the 2 previous times I was sobbing so much that I could hardly see it!

After not being too keen on Nunez's Juliet last season I was a bit apprehensive about her Manon but was pleased to find I much preferred her in this role. I'd agree with other comments that have said that she's best in Act 2 but I didn't find her too sophisticated for the start of Act 1. I thought that as she put on the fur coat she seemed to visibly look older & more sophisticated. I thought she had a beautifully expressive back but there were other times, as with her Juliet, that I felt aware she was doing the choreography whereas with Hayward & Lamb I didn't feel that.

I thought Sambe was good as Lescaut but wasn't that taken with Choe as his Mistress. She seemed to have 2 facial expressions: smiling or not smiling. I therefore didn't find the drunken pdd nearly as amusing as I did when watching Mendizabel's much great variety of expressions last week. Avis was horrible as G. M. - in a good way! How someone who comes over as really nice offstage can be so ghastly onstage I do not know. The ending of Act 2 was brutal, when not only did he shoot Sambe but then shoved him to the ground as he was dying. There was a gaoler cast change from Whitehead to Gartside, who was appropriately vile. I would like to see Whitehead though, after seeing his G. M. at the dress rehearsal.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 11

A prolonged standing ovation from the entire House - yes, it was an event. What a night!

For me, Nunez and Bolle have such an emotional connection, which is what I'm always looking for in the 2 principal dancers. I loved every minute of it. It's quite rare that I don't enjoy a performance because I vote with my feet on what I do, and do not book for, but this was definitely one of those that will live in the memory.   The whole cast, of course, makes the full experience and this was a very high class cast - the same as on Wednesday, except for the change already mentioned. I'm a big fan of Bennett Gartside, so always happy to see him included too.

I think Nunez/ Bolle were a notch up on Wednesday, though it's close. All their pdds were exceptional and I got the hairs on the back of the neck feeling early in Act 1. Their genuine joy and emotion at the end of the performance was such a delight to see. For me, also the pleasure of being lucky enough to see different couples in the same ballet is one I treasure. I enjoy seeing different interpretations and like then for what they are, rather than seeing one as better than the other. For me, Marianela is a bit too flirty from the beginning, but that's how a lot of Manon's play it and I just think - OK, that's the way she is doing it and enjoy. You could however, see how she was torn between the flirtiness and her real love for Des Grieux as the ballet progressed.  Lauren Cuthbertson, played it differently, which I also enjoyed, with a much more obvious switch between her 2 selves, particularly in Act 2.  No right or wrong, just different.

I could watch Roberto Bolle all night, and also thought, as he stood there for a prolonged time on his own, taking in the applause, that this is probably his last time at the ROH.  I first saw him partnering Darcey Bussell, and was the only partner I ever saw her really come alive with (also in Manon).  Then of course, there was Zenaida Yanowsky's farewell performance (Manon) which was overwhelmingly brilliant - what a pairing they were on that night.  Now, with Marianela. Yes, he deserved that applause.   

Gary Avis was phenomenal as GM. Such detailed characterisation, and something happening ALL the time.  The card scene was brilliant in it's own right and the way GM's eyes followed Manon, then the cards, then Manon, while Des Grieux fumbled cards in the lining of his coat (not the pocket this time).  Blink and you've missed something. Then Marcelino Sambe as Lescaut - excellent on all counts. Then, trying to look for Olivia Cowley who again, always provides something special. So difficult to take it all in!   Then looking for Hannah Grennell in the corps, because I've now met and chatted to her so I always look.  I think I found her in Act 2.

Interestingly, I haven't booked for a single performance of the triple bill yet because I don't think I'll get the in depth joy and fascination, which a ballet like Manon provides.  Just my opinion though.      

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

Thank you for sharing your obvious pleasure with is, Jenny. My views may differ from yours in some respects but it is great when someone gets home from a show bubbling with the need to write about it.

Ditto to Dawnstar...

• Like 2

I had a wonderful time last night. I mentioned briefly in this thread that I didn’t care for Manon before seeing Bolle as Des Grieux and last night reminded me why. For me, the ballet often hinges on him - how he reacts to Manon and the ways his devotion plays in public and in private. I’ve seen a few times where the Manon is giving it her everything in acting and just not receiving it returned in kind. Bolle’s wide smiling devotion in the earlier pdd (first and bedroom) vs his awkward almost stilted actions trying to hide his hurt and love in act two before trying to approach her, and then his desperation in act three just work well for me as an audience member. Watching him with Nuñez changed my opinion on the ballet a few years ago and last night did nothing to change my mind back.

I was a little concerned about how the height difference between Bolle and Sambé would play out in their confrontation at the end of act one but found it really effective and edge of the seat stuff! I got so swept up in all the drama and the later dramas too. Always a pleasure to see Sambé dance and he had some really interesting little character moments throughout the piece.

Nuñez was wonderful and is always so charming! The chemistry between Bolle and Nuñez was amazing and I found myself holding my breath during that final pas de deux. I was fully embracing the long curtain calls and just soaking up the atmosphere in the ROH. 

There were lots of fans in but I feel like essentially we’re all fans of something, it’s okay to enjoy things! And I certainly enjoyed last night! There are elements of Manon that I do not like but the big moments were just top notch in my opinion. What a great way to start off my ballet-going for the season. 

Edited by ctas
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Sim said:

Ditto to Dawnstar...

I wasn't as positive though. And yes, I do feel guilty that I didn't get as much emotionally from last night's performance as others evidently did. Maybe my judgement is off when it comes to Manon. I mean, when I saw ENB's in January I was more moved by Alison McWhinney & Francesco Gabriele Frola than Alina Cojocaru & Joseph Caley whereas the expert view seems to be that Cojocaru is one of the great Manons.

Curtain call photos (with thanks to @Rob S for all the assistance he's giving in my attempts to try to improve them).

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 12

Dawnstar you must never apologise for how a performance makes you feel, or not feel. Art affects us all differently, and that is part of the reason it’s so amazing. There’s no right or wrong!  

I added my comment above to thank you for having taken the trouble to write your thoughts as soon as you got home!  I really enjoyed reading your and Jenny’s thoughts, especially since they were different from each other.  A great example of what this forum is about!

• Like 12

Thanks @Sim. I think it's because I've only been watching ballet for a short time that I don't really have confidence in my own opinions when they differ from others', unlike opera/musicals/plays which I've been watching for much longer. This is also why my comments are mostly about the dancers' acting rather than the actual dancing/technique.

Actually it was on the train home!

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @Sim. I think it's because I've only been watching ballet for a short time that I don't really have confidence in my own opinions when they differ from others', unlike opera/musicals/plays which I've been watching for much longer. This is also why my comments are mostly about the dancers' acting rather than the actual dancing/technique.

@Dawnstar, I omitted to mention your last night's post when I spoke about @JennyTaylor's only because I had missed it when scrolling on my phone. I really enjoy your posts, possibly because you are coming to everything with a fresh eye.

I have a feeling that the performance of Manon this coming Tuesday (Osipova/Hallberg) will be another one which will engender a wide spectrum of reactions.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I have a feeling that the performance of Manon this coming Tuesday (Osipova/Hallberg) will be another one which will engender a wide spectrum of reactions.

Plus we have Takada/McRae/Hay on Wednesday,  and Hayward/Campbell/Corrales  on Saturday, so plenty of scope for casting/performance discussion next  week! 

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I think it's because I've only been watching ballet for a short time that I don't really have confidence in my own opinions when they differ from others

Dawnstar  please don't worry - I am also a recent convert to ballet, but it hasn't stopped me pontificating aplenty, and disagreeing with others who know at lot more about the art form than I do!  As others have indicated, that is the joy of this Forum. 

And by the way, your opinions always seem pretty sound to me! 

• Like 3

Seriously, can you “be in love” with a dancer? I have several favourites who always move me tremendously and others who dance equally well, if not better yet they do not move me anything like the same way. “In love” is the wrong expression, I’m sure, but it’s akin to it. Is there even a proper expression for it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Seriously, can you “be in love” with a dancer? I have several favourites who always move me tremendously and others who dance equally well, if not better yet they do not move me anything like the same way. “In love” is the wrong expression, I’m sure, but it’s akin to it. Is there even a proper expression for it?

I certainly think there are dancers who speak to me as an individual better than others. Dancers who create a great emotional impression that others do not. Not sure I’d describe it as “in love” but I do know where you are coming from! 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Plus we have Takada/McRae/Hay on Wednesday,  and Hayward/Campbell/Corrales  on Saturday, so plenty of scope for casting/performance discussion next  week! 

Absolutely, but I sense that there is likely to be a greater degree of unanimity on here about the dancers in these two casts. For a start, people are already bursting to post in the wake of the General Rehearsal ☺️

However, all will be revealed as the week progresses!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Dawnstar  please don't worry - I am also a recent convert to ballet, but it hasn't stopped me pontificating aplenty, and disagreeing with others who know at lot more about the art form than I do!  As others have indicated, that is the joy of this Forum. 

And by the way, your opinions always seem pretty sound to me! 

Thanks. It doesn't stop me posting, just makes me feel guilty about it!

18 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Well yes, that would be me for one!

And me. I've found it really difficult to comment on Lamb/Muntagirov & Nunez/Bolle with reference to Hayward/Campbell. I'm busy praying none of the leads in that cast gets injured before next Saturday as then I'd never be able to comment on them! (Also praying I'll be able to see, given I had to go for 2nd row stalls as there was no front row left & I couldn't get suitable stalls circle as it was package booking.)

Edited by Dawnstar

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Actually it was on the train home!

Have confidence in your opinions! It's all in the eye of the beholder.  You will find that we all have different opinions and perspectives. Ballet is an emotional thing so it's all about how it affects you personally.  A ballet that someone else loves will leave me absolutely cold, and vice versa. But that doesn't matter. Each to their own and we all have our own favourites.  Reading others views and feelings is what makes this Forum interesting and worthwhile. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Fiz said:

I definitely feel a real 'love' type thing for a few dancers that I've seen; Nureyev, Zakharova more recently, Kapstova.  Definitely Fonteyn, whom I've only seen on film. And there are others I really admire but they don't do much for me emotionally.  Others, I detest to the point I avoid their performances even though they really aren't that bad and other people like them.  But this isn't about Manon so I'd better stop there :)

It is surely an individual emotional connection that defies any specific logic.  I always had it with Cojocaru and Kobborg who just made my heart lift and my stomach flutter,  Asylmuratova likewise.  Yes, all wonderfully accomplished dancers but each with that little something extra.  I never felt I was watching performing artistes, more that I was part of the narrative with them.

Edward Watson has never failed me and since I first saw Francesca in Rhapsody, I have been entranced by her.  She has gone on, for me, to become the most glorious portrayer of so many roles.  She tugs every emotional string and her Manon is one of the great ballet experiences.  It is so sad that she and Ed Watson have missed each other in time because they would have taken the Cojocaru/Kobborg spot which, for me, is still vacant.

I have no connection with Sarah Lamb because delightful as she is, I find her somewhat glacial.  Maria Ella is the consummate all-rounder but has never moved me.  She has a sunny persona which works in some areas but I don’t see Macmillan as her thing.  Her best role for me was Mitzi Caspar where all that knowing experience fits the role.  I thought she should not have done Juliet but I am looking forward to her Swan Lake.

Its all down to personal preference.  I like my ballerinas to wring every last drop of emotion out of me !

• Like 6

I think for me it’s a combination of individual dancers and what they’re dancing in. 

For example, Alina Cojocaru is the best Manon I’ve seen, utterly moved me and one of the highlights of last year for me. But, when I saw her in Akram Khan’s Giselle I just didn’t feel the same, and actually preferred Rojo’s performance.

Similarly, I loved Nunez in La Bayadere as Nikiya, but she didn’t really bring out that level of emotion in me in Manon. 

This is is why I try and mix it up and not always see my ‘favourite’ dancers all the time. 

In fairness what I’m describing are evenings which are absolute standouts in my memory and so even my ‘favourite’ dancers can’t hit the spot all the time, due to a combination of who they’re dancing with, the atmosphere with the music and corps all just in synchrony also - these nights are rare and if they happened all the time perhaps I’d start taking them for granted. 

As someone else has already mentioned this is the beauty of a live performance - even with a ‘safe’ bet you never know if your night will be a bit of a disappointment, something you’ll remember forever, or something in between which is enjoyable but not in your ‘greatest hits’. 

• Like 4

I simply can't believe that sooooooo many tickets remain unsold for Manon this week, with the Takada/McRae performance particularly affected. I haven't done more than take glance but, in addition to hundreds of seats still being available lower down, it looks as if only around 25% have been sold in the Amphi.

Usually, things pick up during a run. This time, the reviews have been largely very positive but, even for Cuthbertson and Ball, who have had some excellent coverage, the sales remain sluggish, to put it mildly.

Seeing the situation for Wednesday and that there are well over 600 seats still available for Thursday night as well is very upsetting.

I feel that I want to go along and spread myself physically and volubly so as to help make up the deficit.

• Like 5