Royal Ballet: Manon, autumn 2019

7 hours ago, JNC said:

@Dawnstar your review is exactly the same as how I felt after watching that cast last week (although I had Stix-Brunell instead of Choe). 

Standout was Ball - I hope when Manon comes back he is perhaps paired with someone else (Naghdi’s Manon debut perhaps, or Hayward!). I didn’t dislike Cuthbertson in the role but I would like to see him with someone else as it could be the best Manon! 

I was thinking during last night's performance that Ball & Hayward together could be pretty devastating. However given he's one of the taller men & she's one of the smaller women I suspect he might be "prioritised" for the taller women.

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

I think the Morera/Bonelli partnership one of the Royal Ballet’s finest jewels.

I've only seen them together in Frankenstein thus far - I did book for Nutcracker but then he didn't do it - & I thought they were good together in that but the piece itself didn't allow for the sort of emotional partnership that Manon does.

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

I have an eye for detail and enjoyed watching some completely different interplay before and during the card scene.

I couldn't decide whether parts of Act 2 scene 1 were being played differently to other casts or if I just happened to be looking at different things at different times. There's so much going on I feel I need several pairs of eyes.

• Like 5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've been thinking that for a while too!

I think Ball/Hayward in Manon would definitely work - they were meant to do Unknown Solider together but then Hayward didn’t end up doing it because of Cats, and they also just did the short Cross Currents piece in the Linbury together so clearly it wouldn’t be unexpected for them to pair up! 

I think that tall men and short women look fine so I wouldn’t have a problem with their height difference (don’t Osipova and Hallberg have a bit of a difference?), I think it only doesn’t work when the woman is noticeably taller than the man when she’s on pointe. Naghdi/Sambe just about pull it off despite her being taller on pointe but it’s just a little bit and I think they look good together (though I haven’t actually seen them do a live performance together but wished I saw them in DQ as the photos look sensational!). 

That reminds me that in Elite Syncopations ....I think the original cast....Vergie Derman who was tall and Wayne Sleep -small were given a duet which made the most of their height difference ...very entertaining for that ballet!

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

That reminds me that in Elite Syncopations ....I think the original cast....Vergie Derman who was tall and Wayne Sleep -small were given a duet which made the most of their height difference ...very entertaining for that ballet!

It was very humorous, but I don't think that duet really works anymore as it was originally intended, at least not the last time I saw it.  There are plenty of taller ladies,  but I doubt there will ever be another male dancer who is as short as Wayne Sleep.  

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I tend to agree and Wayne Sleep was naturally very funny anyway... when meant to be!

LinMM, did you watch him in the Enigma Insight this week? He was really very good but you really had to feel for poor Zucchetti, who he worked to the state of exhaustion!

(Sorry, off topic.)

9 hours ago, JNC said:

I think that tall men and short women look fine so I wouldn’t have a problem with their height difference (don’t Osipova and Hallberg have a bit of a difference?), I think it only doesn’t work when the woman is noticeably taller than the man when she’s on pointe.

OTOH, there was that one Romeo & Juliet I saw some years back where a very petite Juliet and a very tall Romeo (or was it Paris?) gave me some very creepy vibes ...

38 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

A double Manon for me today.

Impressed you can manage to do that. I don't think I could go through all that emotion twice in a day.

Based on the public dress rehearsal I'm en route to see the matinee cast with a) high expectations & b) plenty of hankies!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I treated myself to stalls for this cast but could only get 2nd row so am deeply thankful to find I have not very tall ladies sat in front of me!

Well, that was speaking too soon. Amazing/depressing how much stage can be blocked by a couple of inches of someone's head.

50 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Am dying to know how Corrales performs as Lescaut this afternoon 

Brilliantly as of the end of Act 1, in my opinion. I think he's the best of the 4 I've seen, the others being Hirano, Sambe & Zuchetti, all older & more experienced dancers that you'd think would be better because of that. Corrales has such stage presence & how someone who was so convincingly nice as Romeo a few months ago can now be so convincingly evil as Lescaut I do not know.

• Like 6

Omg that was an incredibly emotional performance that had me and my first-time-Manon friend weeping buckets at the end.  Hayward/Campbell were terrific, alone and together (that final PDD was one of the best performances of it I have seen) and told the story with such clarity and pathos.  Corrales was amazing as Lescaut...his debut but one of the best I have seen.  Wonderful debut also from Mayara Magri as the Mistress.  More later when I have recovered, but for me, an unforgettable afternoon.  ❤️❤️

• Like 22

Corrals fantastic.  Like an imp on fire.  Speed of turns, precision of steps, incredible stage presence and charisma in spades.  Duel with  Campbell terrific.

What a cast but for me Campbell had the key to the whole thing.  Have not seen him in This role before and he was wonderful.  I love the partnership wirhFrancesca.  Campbell is immaculate, a wonderful partne4 and an utterly believable lover.  

Great performance.

• Like 16

Today’s matinee is my final (scheduled!) Manon of this run and, for the first time ever, I was in tears at the end. Fantastic performances from Hayward, Campbell and Corrales. I found Campbell a believable, heartfelt Des Grieux, genuine throughout. Hayward seems to have deepened her characterisation even more than during the last run, I felt a real connection to understanding the character in a way I don’t think I’ve experienced before. I really hope we get a dvd of her performing this in the future. Corrales absolutely on fire. The final swamp PDD was beautiful. I’ve seen some great performances of Manon over the last decade I’ve been attending but I think this is the one I will remember.

Edited by Riva
Trying to standardise font size
  • Like 15

Some terrific performances this afternoon. Hayward a pitch perfect sultry, utterly alluring Manon. Corrales charismatic Lescaut debut was outstanding - acting and dancing of the highest quality.  Magri’s mistress debut was classy.

Alas, alas though for myself Campbell’s Des Grieux was totally miscast. His partnering was fine but where was the poetry in his dancing ? Those yearning solos that can speak so much were pedestrian. It’s not just down to stature - some smaller men can dance in a way that extends into the space beyond them - James Hay being one. Unfortunately too in my opinion, Campbell’s acting was two dimensional and lacking nuance; he had but two expressions: happy and pained. Sorry 😐 

• Like 5

I realise I will be in a minority but here goes: I was really impressed by Hayward and Corrales. She is exquisite; her allure irresistible. She is in complete command of the choreography and her total immersion In the character generates a finely calibrated and nuanced reading of Manon’s decline and fall. Corrales danced splendidly and acted strongly, reviving a role that can become jaded because it is over-played. It was well-judged in every way and he has charisma to spare.

Mayara Magri made a very good debut and  I loved  her strong, clean dancing.
Sadly, for me the weakest link was Campbell. He is not suited to this role in any way in my opinion. He lacks beauty of line and the technical strength required. He partnered very well which of course enhanced Hayward’s own performance, but otherwise this was the wrong  dancer in the wrong role.

• Like 3

I was in tears too. Such consummate storytelling from Hayward and Campbell - every action, every feeling, every thought as clear as daylight and combined with beautiful, rigorous technical prowess and intense musicality. AND two dancing as one; they are so beautifully matched physically and have absolute confidence in each other so they can take risks, physically and emotionally. Utter brilliance. And Corrales was a wonderful Lescaut - a real scoundrel, but with the charm to get his way (until he gets out of his depth). Hayward's Manon was heartbreaking; the jewels and money were just a temporary attraction that would lead her and Des Grieux to a better life - in themselves they were no competition for him, this loving and sincere man and the only person not treating her as a commodity. They were a means to an end. I've never before noticed a Manon recoil in such fear from the ratcatcher (who was beside Monsieur G. M. at the time - i.e. a terrible warning to her of the danger of what she was doing, but a warning she ignored until it was too late. And Campbell showed me for the first time the moment that Des Grieux assents to 'help' Lescaut at the end of Act I - normally all I ever see is Lescaut twisting his arm and Des Grieux struggling bitterly. I always assumed the assent came between the acts, but this time Campbell nodded desperately and therefore took the story forward as it should. So many superb moments from both of them, and as a couple. Magnificent.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

I realise I will be in a minority but here goes: I was really impressed by Hayward and Corrales. She is exquisite; her allure irresistible. She is in complete command of the choreography and her total immersion In the character generates a finely calibrated and nuanced reading of Manon’s decline and fall. Corrales danced splendidly and acted strongly, reviving a role that can become jaded because it is over-played. It was well-judged in every way and he has charisma to spare.

Mayara Magri made a very good debut and  I loved  her strong, clean dancing.
Sadly, for me the weakest link was Campbell. He is not suited to this role in any way in my opinion. He lacks beauty of line and the technical strength required. He partnered very well which of course enhanced Hayward’s own performance, but otherwise this was the wrong  dancer in the wrong role.

Really ?  Lacked technical strength?  Where exactly?

• Like 3

I thought his technical strength, technique, partnering, dancing and characterisation were all wonderful.  I couldn’t see weakness anywhere.  Ok, he doesn’t have the lovely long limbs of Muntagirov and Ball, but in this ballet he more than compensates for that by his all-round performance.  

• Like 14

I think Campbell's line is immaculate; he doesn't have long limbs but he uses them with poetry, intelligence and musicality. He dances ballet as it should be danced, so the choreography (if it's good!) sings as it should. He gives full value to every step, every turn, every lift, and every element of the story. And his technique and strength are impeccable. Not everyone can be Muntagirov (for example); but Campbell is just as capable of producing balletic beauty with a different kind of body and a different kind of personality. I feel so blessed to be able to see both of them (and so many other wonderful dancers).

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Impressed you can manage to do that. I don't think I could go through all that emotion twice in a day.

Based on the public dress rehearsal I'm en route to see the matinee cast with a) high expectations & b) plenty of hankies!

I wouldn’t normally but diary dictated. I am always fascinated to see Hallberg and given his outstanding performance last time and the magic of their partnership there is no way I would have missed Hayward and Campbell.

• Like 2

Well quite.  I though he was absolutely perfect in every way and I speak as someone who has, on occasion, been critical of Campbell.  Yes, he was an entirely safe pair of hands today and you could see that Francesca had complete trust in him.  But he was much more than that;  I believed in his love for Manon which was an all embracingTill Death us Do Part kind of love and the more heartfelt for it.  Core ales had the role of showman tonight - corrupt, venal and weak - which meant Campbell’s portrayal of De Grieux was a sharp contrast.  I felt the. cast had a holistic feel about it so all the parts worked as a whole.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 12