Royal Ballet: Manon, autumn 2019

11 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

my query about finding out about previous cast runs still stands if anyone can help.

To the best of my knowledge, casting for performances up to and including 2012 can be found on the ROH Performance Database:

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/PerformanceSearch.aspx

...but more recent performances have not been added.  I have seriously considered emailing the ROH with a quote for updating the last 7 years myself.

• Like 6

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @Sim for the definitive answer to my first query, though I do also like @Jamesrhblack's suggestion that it was so the audience could admire David Wall's looks!

Thank you very much for your reply. If I recall correctly he did the movement twice towards the end of the first scene in Act 3. He was jumping with his legs at an angle rather than straight up. I vaguely thought tours en l'air involved jumping straight up - and Googling it examples show that - but does it cover jumping not straight up as well? Thanks, so it is possible Hayward did more. I remember being struck by her bourrees in Month in the Country too. I guess I'll give the original recording a go then. I know all about trouser roles (Rosenkavalier is my favourite opera) but hadn't thought about this being the same thing, given the dancer isn't playing a male character. That would at least be less disturbing that the possible interpretations I Was thinking of.

Apologies for provoking a lot of confusing discussions about courtesans! I probably wouldn't have noticed that character that much were it not that Gina Storm-Jensen is one of the few dancers in the lower ranks of the RB who I can actually manage to pick out in group scenes.

I expect you are talking about a cabriole in which 'underneath leg' (the one last off the floor) beats against the first leg which is swept up to the front or back as the dancer jumps.  As the underneath leg hits the other leg, the other leg should go a little higher.  I'll have to see if I can find it on Youtube as my "Manon"  DVD is in storage! I hope I was clear about the girl dressed up as a boy - MacMillan didn't mean her to be a boy but he was just observing men's predilections at this time for girls to dress as boys!  

23 minutes ago, RuthE said:

To the best of my knowledge, casting for performances up to and including 2012 can be found on the ROH Performance Database:

...but more recent performances have not been added.  I have seriously considered emailing the ROH with a quote for updating the last 7 years myself.

I think it's a bit iffy before then as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Just had an email to say the closing performance of Manon will see Alexander Campbell replace Steven McRae as Akane Takada’s partner on 6th November 

While I can see the logic of this casting, it does seem a bit tough on Clarke that he did the mid-show subbing but isn't then allowed the full show.

19 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

I expect you are talking about a cabriole in which 'underneath leg' (the one last off the floor) beats against the first leg which is swept up to the front or back as the dancer jumps.  As the underneath leg hits the other leg, the other leg should go a little higher.  I'll have to see if I can find it on Youtube as my "Manon"  DVD is in storage! I hope I was clear about the girl dressed up as a boy - MacMillan didn't mean her to be a boy but he was just observing men's predilections at this time for girls to dress as boys!  

Thank you. More Googling indicates it is indeed a cabriole I was thinking of. It's one of those steps that I have read the name of in the past but not known what it looks like. My knowledge of ballet jumps doesn't get much beyond jetes. Yes, I realised that was your point, thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

Many thanks RutheE. I have bookmarked it this time. it looks a  very useful and interesting source of information so obviously not readily and easily available on the ROH website.

Edited by jmhopton
removed comment answered elsewhere
  • Like 2

Am agreeing Dawnstar about Reece Clarke. It does seem a shame. 

But he has recently come back from injury I believe so may need to be cautious 

Also I suppose from Akane Takada's point of view having had one "disturbed" Manon she may prefer to perform her remaining Manon with somebody she has danced more before with. 

• Like 3

Yes thanks very much @maryrosesatonapin

I didn’t realise McRae was supposed to do the last run of Manon with Takada but couldn’t because of an injury, makes this situation even more sad (not that it needed to be!). McRae seems to have an amazing attitude to recovery so hope that it’s not too long before he’s back on the stage! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

While I can see the logic of this casting, it does seem a bit tough on Clarke that he did the mid-show subbing but isn't then allowed the full show.

They appear to be a bit short on Gentlemen at the moment.  As well as the comparative height and previous experience issues, perhaps it was also because he was needed in that capacity?

In this interview Steven McRae says that when was out for a year he watched a lot of ballet from the wings or from he auditorium, and he realised that the performances that were the most enjoyable for him were the ones where you could see that the dancers were just losing themselves in the moment...not just trying to be perfect in every technical detail. 

I think this is so true. Look out for those dancers who really find themselves immersed in their role and dancing and  are able,  naturally and without artifice, to communicate the spirit of the ballet to the audience through each movement and expression.

• Like 6

Another Instagram update from Steven McRae about his injury:

'COMPLETE RUPTURE💥
Well there it is..... Interestingly I thought I had tripped over something on stage last Wednesday but that sound was actually my Achilles snapping!
I am in great hands and I will have surgery at the start of next week - Possibly setting a @guinnessworldrecords for most surgeries for a Dancer in such a short space of time 🤪
Oddly, I am excited for this next challenge, and I know that I will have the support that I need at home and at the @royaloperahouse to make this a successful journey back to the stage 💪🏻
Once again, thank you for the messages and kind words from all over the world - Let’s do this 🕺🏼'

What unbelievable resilience he has!

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, bridiem said:

'COMPLETE RUPTURE💥
Well there it is..... Interestingly I thought I had tripped over something on stage last Wednesday but that sound was actually my Achilles snapping!
I am in great hands and I will have surgery at the start of next week - Possibly setting a @guinnessworldrecords for most surgeries for a Dancer in such a short space of time 🤪
Oddly, I am excited for this next challenge, and I know that I will have the support that I need at home and at the @royaloperahouse to make this a successful journey back to the stage 💪🏻
Once again, thank you for the messages and kind words from all over the world - Let’s do this 🕺🏼'

What unbelievable resilience he has!

Resilience, indeed.  That is an awful injury.  He is such a all round nice bloke as well as an incredible dancer.  We are all thinking of you Steven.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

'COMPLETE RUPTURE💥

I knew I heard a cracking noise!!😱

On listening to the Reunion on original Cats cast on radio 4 recently ( I know old fogey) Judy Dench was talking about at one rehearsal she turned round and said to the person behind her did you just kick me only to realise her Achilles had ruptured/ snapped not quite sure which. Others in the cast heard this snapping sound. 

Unfortunately for her she was out of it so probably particularly appreciates being in the film now. 

Honestly this was only a few weeks ago but am trying to remember but I think it was Judy Denches departure that  brought in Elaine Page ...so that was a bit of a silver lining. 

38 minutes ago, LinMM said:

On listening to the Reunion on original Cats cast on radio 4 recently ( I know old fogey) Judy Dench was talking about at one rehearsal she turned round and said to the person behind her did you just kick me only to realise her Achilles had ruptured/ snapped not quite sure which. Others in the cast heard this snapping sound. 

Unfortunately for her she was out of it so probably particularly appreciates being in the film now. 

Honestly this was only a few weeks ago but am trying to remember but I think it was Judy Denches departure that  brought in Elaine Page ...so that was a bit of a silver lining. 

It was last minute because she could do everything they wanted, she was a hugh star and they were desperate. Of course even the people behind it thought Cats would flop.

Edited by Shya100
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tessie said:

He is amazingly resilient. I wonder if having a beautiful new baby at home has softened what must be an awful blow? 

Well... I was saying to somebody the other day, without a hint of wishing potentially career-limiting injury on a professional dancer, that I suspect in the distant future he might look back on this time and be thankful for the time it facilitated him spending with his newest baby.

But the injury and incapacitation is horrible for him, of course - especially having only been back two minutes from his last injury. I’ve heard stories of audible-from-the-auditorium Achilles rupture and am very pleased I wasn’t witness to it the other night. I’ve sent him a message on Twitter wishing him well.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 6

Also, unlike one or two public figures we could mention, because of  his unfailing brave face in public, and positive approach, McRae is one of those who will never have to look back in horror and shame at interviews, or social media postings he has made, and will never cause his loved ones embarrassment for same!

A point I wish some others would take note of. I often wonder how people can forget that their children will see their effusions, rants and self-pity one day........

He sets a great example to the young dancers- and I know he has spent a lot of time helping them with injuries and learning how to cope with set-backs.

All the best to him for the fastest recovery.

• Like 9

Did he damage hisAchilles tendon a few years ago?  Love the way he lets us into his life and his gorgeous family.

on a different note, I do wish Ed Watson would communicate with his fans a little more.  One hundredth of what Macrae does would do!

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary said:

McRae is one of those who will never have to look back in horror and shame at interviews, or social media postings he has made, and will never cause his loved ones embarrassment for same!

I think I might disagree there...all those quasi naked photos of himself that he posts up may cause his kiddies embarrassment one day! 

I wish him a full and quick recovery, although it's looking like it might be a good while before he is back onstage.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Did he damage hisAchilles tendon a few years ago?  Love the way he lets us into his life and his gorgeous family.

on a different note, I do wish Ed Watson would communicate with his fans a little more.  One hundredth of what Macrae does would do!

I can understand your wanting to know more (so do I) but I don't feel dancers should be obliged to share any information about their private lives at all.  McCrae and Watson have such different personalities (partly perhaps because of their different nationalities) and McCrae seems to be naturally a relaxed, positive and open person.  Maybe Watson is very private - who knows what personal problems he may be facing?  I love both of them as dancers and wish them both the greatest possible health and happiness.  

In the case of self-promoting 'Celebrities' (usually people who actually have little or no actual talent) I feel it's fair enough to demand information and photographs.  That type live for their latest display of fashion and artificial appearance etc.  But our dancers - even the most starry ones such as Zakharova - are entitled to privacy.  They have more or less sacrificed their whole lives for their art, and they work harder than most of us could imagine on a daily basis.  But they are not obliged to give even more than they already do on-stage, night after night, for our intense enjoyment.

@penelopesimpson I know what you said is only because you care, and am not criticising you here!

• Like 9

Back to Manon...and what a beautifully emotional performance we had from Morera/Bonelli tonight.  Two consummate artists in the twilight of their careers, bringing all the depth of their experience and their partnership to bear on this ballet.  Truly remarkable.  

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Back to Manon...and what a beautifully emotional performance we had from Morera/Bonelli tonight.  Two consummate artists in the twilight of their careers, bringing all the depth of their experience and their partnership to bear on this ballet.  Truly remarkable.  

Couldn't agree more. Yes, they made a slightly mature De Grieux and Manon, but their performances were so much in tune with each other - they just seemed to be on the same emotional level. Really beautiful. Which is more than can be said for Gary Avis's gaolor! Probably one of the nastiest characters ever seen on the ROH stage! And after seeing him on WBD both as a coach and,a dancer I wondered how he could be so repellent? 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I can understand your wanting to know more (so do I) but I don't feel dancers should be obliged to share any information about their private lives at all.  McCrae and Watson have such different personalities (partly perhaps because of their different nationalities) and McCrae seems to be naturally a relaxed, positive and open person.  Maybe Watson is very private - who knows what personal problems he may be facing?  I love both of them as dancers and wish them both the greatest possible health and happiness.  

In the case of self-promoting 'Celebrities' (usually people who actually have little or no actual talent) I feel it's fair enough to demand information and photographs.  That type live for their latest display of fashion and artificial appearance etc.  But our dancers - even the most starry ones such as Zakharova - are entitled to privacy.  They have more or less sacrificed their whole lives for their art, and they work harder than most of us could imagine on a daily basis.  But they are not obliged to give even more than they already do on-stage, night after night, for our intense enjoyment.

@penelopesimpson I know what you said is only because you care, and am not criticising you here!

I understand your point MaryRose and,yes, these two dancers are such different characters.  And I am certainly not criticisingWatson ( as if!) but I do think just a little information is due his fans.  He was, after all for some time male number one at RB and built up a profile.  Next month it is two years since he has done anything of substance on the main stage at ROH and it would be nice to hear something.

PS:  Perhaps I’ll drop a line to my mate Alex Beard...!

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 4