Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted to see Ms O' Sullivan as Swanilda, - perfect role for her! and delighted too at the prospect of the Hayward/McRae pairing:

altogether, with Coppelia back after so long,  something a bit different.

• Like 2

Delighted to see Alexander Campbell fully and properly cast, including as Des Grieux. No Des Grieux for Reece Clarke though (didn’t he dance it last time) and no Aurora for Yuhui Choe now..

Also, delighted to see that Christina Arestis will danceThe Lady again.

4 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Why do do we need Hallberg?

I guess because he has been one of the greatest dancers of his time and remains a beautiful dancer and a great artist ...

• Like 4

So pleased to see the O'Sullivan/Hay SB ... That should be really special ... and glad we are getting an Osipova/Muntagirov Raymonda Act III.  Also delighted at the O'Sullivan/Sambe and Magri/Corrales Coppelias.  Yummy :)

Do my eyes deceive me - no Watson?  I thought he was back.  I am surprised NOT to see him listed for Manon.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Delighted to see Alexander Campbell fully and properly cast, including as Des Grieux.

I was just about to make the same observation, but had a suspicion you'd get there first!

• Like 3

Very sad to see no title role in Manon for Principal ballerina Yasmine Naghdi.

All the same Manon's as last season so I'll be skipping this one.

Delighted Naghdi will dance one of my favourite ballets "Concerto 2nd Movement" in the cinema relay as well as Swanhilda, and Aurora with Ball on Opening Night.

Some very nice new casts and delighted for O'Sullivan/Swanhilda, and Kaneko/Aurora!

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 2

I think it is obvious that we are going to divide into those who are very happy to see Hallberg (me included!) and thsoe who don't like him/any guest stars (those people have the perfect right to hold that opinion).  Shall we short circuit that debate and agree to differ?

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Sad to see no title role in Manon for Beatriz Stix-Brunell; lots of us were discussing on Saturday at her R&J matinee that we hoped she would be cast.

I agree - she was stunning as Juliet, and I was really hoping she'd get the chance to do Manon. Her performances are so thoughtful and nuanced - her Manon would have been something special!  I'd love to see her as Tatiana - wonder if she'll get the chance ....?

Edited by J_New
To add Tatiana comment
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I think it is obvious that we are going to divide into those who are very happy to see Hallberg (me included!) and thsoe who don't like him/any guest stars (those people have the perfect right to hold that opinion).  Shall we short circuit that debate and agree to differ?

I’m not even a Hallberg fan and I agree with this!

3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Well, no, because this is a discussion forum, not a referendum.

i rather wish I hadn’t seen Hallberg because I was disappointed.  Would rather have had him on a pedestal as a dancer that others reported as glorious but whom I hadn’t been fortunate enough to witness.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

and remains a beautiful dancer and a great artist ...

On the basis of his Romeo (Hallberg)  I can’t agree with this; but more importantly, there are few enough opportunities for the talented younger company dancers as it is and to fill a number of them with a guest star who is past his best is really disappointing. 

Edited by annamk
Clarify
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Well, no, because this is a discussion forum, not a referendum.

i rather wish I hadn’t seen Hallberg because I was disappointed.  Would rather have had him on a pedestal as a dancer that others reported as glorious but whom I hadn’t been fortunate enough to witness.

(a) that analogy doesn't make sense on any level

(b) just don't buy tickets for any more of his performances - problem solved.  You're welcome!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Delighted to see Alexander Campbell fully and properly cast, including as Des Grieux. No Des Grieux for Reece Clarke though

I thought Reece Clarke Des Grieux was excellent - he has a beautiful line and his adagio was one of the loveliest,  so very disappointed  he doesn’t have an opportunity to repeat it. 

At least a number of forum members will be happy about Campbell 😢

• Like 8

Over the moon to see Takada/Bracewell cast together for Coppélia!!! Also thrilled to see the Naghdi/Ball partnership continue in Sleeping Beauty and Coppélia and very excited for O’Sullivan/Hay in SB! (I think Coppélia in particular is going to cause havoc with my bank balance!). Lots of interesting casting in the mixed bill too. I’m very much looking forward to seeing Matthew Ball tackle Des Grieux which I’m sure he’ll do in his usual intelligent and thoughtful way.  However, like others, I’m disappointed not to see Reece Clarke down for Des Grieux as he was wonderful last time around, so a real shame that he’s not being given the chance to develop the role.

• Like 8

Many thanks for posting Richard ....is this a Friends casting info...it's so detailed amazing!

Unfortunately I only got as far as the triple and it started blacking out the pages so perhaps has sensed I may not be privy to this info as am not a Friend?? Did anyone else get this problem?

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Devastated.  

Devastated.  

I don’t know and having not seen him can’t judge but so disappointed re Ed. Autumn season so very NOT his bag other than Des Grieux so not really surprising but i would have thought they’d schedule in one of his smaller roles - such a shame Macmillan anniversary has passed and perhaps he himself opted out of DG... 😢

Gosh - so much to digest.  Really pleased to see Luca Acri getting an opportunity at a lead role in Coppélia and with Yuhui!!!  Also he should make a terrific Lescaut if his Mercutio is anything to go by.   And it’s wonderful to see Hayward’s name well and truly back - really looking forward to seeing lots of her - another must-see Coppélia. 

• Like 1

Nunez and Muntagirov for Coppelia live screening? Quite disappointed. Would rather see Hayward and McRae as opposed to yet again another screening from those two especially considering they got last "Christmas's" screening. 

• Like 6

Manon likely to give me problems! Must see Morera - she was off during the last run, and any Morera/Bonelli pairing is,a must for me. Saw Campbell last time, also Hayward, but not together, so that's another must. Then of course,there's Sambe as Lescaut- bank balance is going to suffer and that's before I get on to SB! Luckily I can live without Coppelia, although it's years since I saw it and I may be missing something if i don't see it.

• Like 3

Wow. Just realized Bonelli and Cuthbertson get the SB live screening! I thought it was going to be Naghdi and Ball. At least I'll be able to see Cuthbertson as Aurora in the cinema again! She is my favorite Aurora at the RB. 

• Like 2

I think that I have already said my piece on this elsewhere on the forum but he is becoming too much of a permanent fixture for my liking (especially when one considers, for example, that Clarke does not have a (public) performance of Des Grieux).

I am:

• thrilled for Anna Rose O'Sullivan
  • pleased to see Sambe and Corrales cast in roles for which they are ideally suited
  • glad that Magri is having an increasing number of opportunities
  • surprised that Naghdi hasn't been given  a Manon
  • sorry that Muntagirov never seems to dance with one of the younger ballerinas; and
  • disappointed with some of the other pairings

and (sort of) glad that I am not going to have to spend quite as much in this booking period as I had anticipated.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, balletyas said:

A certain Mr Watson conspicuous by his absence. Is Firebird going to be his swan song? :((((((

Didn't someone say he was supposed to be featuring in the new McGregor next year? :(