Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

4 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Wow. Just realized Bonelli and Cuthbertson get the SB live screening! I thought it was going to be Naghdi and Ball. At least I'll be able to see Cuthbertson as Aurora in the cinema again! She is my favorite Aurora at the RB. 

It's Opening Night/Cinema relay in reverse (R&J and SB) Cuthbertson/Ball got Opening Night R&J, Naghdi/Ball get the R&J cinema relay, Sleeping Beauty Opening Night is given to Naghdi/Ball and cinema relay to Cuthbertson/Bonelli. 

• Like 1

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Sleeping Beauty Opening Night is given to Naghdi/Ball and cinema relay to Cuthbertson/Bonelli. 

Disappointed with this cinema cast given that we already have a Cuthertson Aurora recorded in this production.  Surely it would be time to allow someone else to share the historic glory.  It's not as it if comes along all that often.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 11

I think Hallberg is still being featured because they have yet to find Osipova a go-to partner in the principal ranks ever since Matthew Golding left. Obviously, Muntagirov and Osipova have great chemistry but he is Nunez's go-to partner. So until she retires, we won't see him dancing with Osipova more or even the younger principals. In fact, he is often paired with Lamb too -- leaving very few room for others.  In any case, I'm excited for Osipova's and Muntagirov's pairing in Raymonda ACT III. 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Many thanks for posting Richard ....is this a Friends casting info...it's so detailed amazing!

Unfortunately I only got as far as the triple and it started blacking out the pages so perhaps has sensed I may not be privy to this info as am not a Friend?? Did anyone else get this problem?

I don't understand why you have had problems Lin, but  I am pretty sure it is nothing to do with the fact you are not a Friend!

(As far as I am aware,  balletcoforum is not able to censure  downloads of pdfs based on the ROH membership status of the user)!

Would you like me to send  it to you as an attachment to a private message, and see if that works?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Disappointed with this cinema cast given that we already have a Cuthertson Aurora recorded in this production.  Surely it would be time to allow someone else to share the historic glory.  It's not as it if comes along all that often.  

Well, they did give Nunez two screenings in SL. So I see no problem why they can't do it again for Cuthbertson especially considering Kevin O' Hare wasn't director at the time when she was featured with Sergei -- right? In fact, I don't think he was the director when Nunez was first featured back in 2011/2012? My memory is quite shoddy.  

Edited by HappyTurk

2 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Plus it is Nunez and Muntagirov, yet again, for the Coppelia live screening...

At least the cast for the triple bill live screening will be a bit more diverse.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Well, they did give Nunez two screenings in SL. So I see no problem why they can't do it again especially considering Kevin O' Hare wasn't director at the time -- right? 

Of course they CAN, HappyTurk.  It's only that I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to showcase one of the younger dancers who have had experience in this role - given the nature of the specific role (e.g., Aurora) itself.  I would have thought after all the celebration that Naghdi got with her SFB Aurora (opposite the stellar Joseph Walsh - have you seen him yet, HappyTurk - you really should if you can while they are here) that it might have been an inducement.  That said, Naghdi will have a lot of opportunities.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Of course they CAN, HappyTurk.  It's only that I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to showcase one of the younger dancers who have had experience in this role - given the nature of the specific role itself.  

I see your point. Maybe it's because I feel Cuthbertson is often overlooked that I feel like defending their decision. Ha. I'm quite biased towards her! And I'll have to check him out! Are there any videos of Joseph Walsh on YouTube? I'll investigate...

Edited by HappyTurk

5 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Guess Mr. O'Hare has to keep ALL his principals happy, older and younger ones alike so he gave the Coppelia cinema relay to Nunez (I would have preferred to see Hayward as Swanhilda) and the Sleeping Beauty relay to Cuthbertson (I would have preferred seeing Naghdi as Aurora). The existing recording of Cuthbertson dancing Aurora is not one of the best I have seen (she really struggled with those famous balances). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, balletyas said:

I don’t know and having not seen him can’t judge but so disappointed re Ed. Autumn season so very NOT his bag other than Des Grieux so not really surprising but i would have thought they’d schedule in one of his smaller roles - such a shame Macmillan anniversary has passed and perhaps he himself opted out of DG... 😢

I have, and have had for nearly a year now, this feeling that Ed has gone.  I know he is down for Firebird but then he vanishes, so that will make just two performances in two years.  There has been no news (or I have missed it) and given how many fans he has I am a little fed up about this.  As I've said before, I don't want injury details or to know about his personal life, but this continuing silence is odd.  He is rarely mentioned on this forum which makes me think those in the know are just that.  I would very much like to know if Firebird is to be his exit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Maybe it's because I feel Cuthbertson is often overlooked that I feel like defending their decision. Ha. I'm quite biased towards her!

9 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I wonder whether this may be Bonnelli's final performance in the role, which might explain why that pairing is being given the cinema relay?

I was wondering the same.

Bonelli and Cuthbertson seemed to become a regular partnership by default after her blossoming partnership with Polunin came to a abrupt end in 2012 - I've never quite felt that they tend to "catch fire" as a couple on stage.  Coupled with her two lengthy periods out with injury since then (as well as her earlier period of illness), I feel that she's really spent her whole career fighting against adversity rather than being blessed with a relatively smooth ride like some of her colleagues.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

And I'll have to check him out! Are there any videos of Joseph Walsh on YouTube? I'll investigate...

Given the current opportunity I, myself, always feel that live is best.  He repeats his stunning assignment in Ratmansky on Sunday ... but this is all away from the core of this (happy) topic.  

Here is an interview - interspersed with dancing - from 2006 when he was with Houston (alongside the equally stellar Aaron Robison now too back with SFB) ... Both have only ever gotten better since then :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall

10 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I was wondering the same.

Bonelli and Cuthbertson seemed to become a regular partnership by default after her blossoming partnership with Polunin came to a abrupt end in 2012 - I've never quite felt that they tend to "catch fire" as a couple on stage.  Coupled with her two lengthy periods out with injury since then (as well as her earlier period of illness), I feel that she's really spent her whole career fighting against adversity rather than being blessed with a relatively smooth ride like some of her colleagues.

And combined with the fact that she hasn't danced Giselle and Odette/Odile as often because of her injuries, it might be a while until she is shown for those two as well. In fact, some of the younger three principals might be shown before her. So I think it is appropriate she is given a SB live screening (so she doesn't experience a drought in the "classics"). 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

Just now, Bruce Wall said:

Given the current opportunity I, myself, always feel that live is best.  He repeats his stunning assignment in Ratmansky on Sunday.  

I'm intrigued! I will have to go see him when I have the chance. 

2 hours ago, Lindsay said:

(a) that analogy doesn't make sense on any level

(b) just don't buy tickets for any more of his performances - problem solved.  You're welcome!

Sorry about that.  Suppose I thought the terms were very much everyday parlance at the moment.  I am sure I don't need to clarify discussion forum (?) but a referendum is  'submission of an issue of public importance to the direct vote of the electorate for an agreed decision.'

I understand your support for Halberg and am only envious that I never saw him at his prime.  But I don't think that should make the views of those of us who would prefer him not to become a regular guest with RB subject to dismissal.

• Like 2

Well put, Ruth E.  I have been a long-time fan of Cuthbertson and would agree she has certainly been put through the mill with her career.  More power to her for battling adversity and giving us such wonderful performances.  My favourite for her is Winter's Tale and her Alice is, well, she IS Alice.  

However, I agree that she and Bonelli don't always work so well.  He is magical with Morera and I hate the thought that he will be leaving.  He will be much missed.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

It's Opening Night/Cinema relay in reverse (R&J and SB) Cuthbertson/Ball got Opening Night R&J, Naghdi/Ball get the R&J cinema relay, Sleeping Beauty Opening Night is given to Naghdi/Ball and cinema relay to Cuthbertson/Bonelli. 

59 minutes ago, alison said:

Didn't someone say he was supposed to be featuring in the new McGregor next year? :( 

I dont think I heard that but I suppose it’s possible - I hope you’re right! 

29 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Guess Mr. O'Hare has to keep ALL his principals happy, older and younger ones alike so he gave the Coppelia cinema relay to Nunez (I would have preferred to see Hayward as Swanhilda) and the Sleeping Beauty relay to Cuthbertson (I would have preferred seeing Naghdi as Aurora). The existing recording of Cuthbertson dancing Aurora is not one of the best I have seen (she really struggled with those famous balances). 

Although her Act 2 Ashton solo is just about perfection on that relay...

27 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I have, and have had for nearly a year now, this feeling that Ed has gone.  I know he is down for Firebird but then he vanishes, so that will make just two performances in two years.  There has been no news (or I have missed it) and given how many fans he has I am a little fed up about this.  As I've said before, I don't want injury details or to know about his personal life, but this continuing silence is odd.  He is rarely mentioned on this forum which makes me think those in the know are just that.  I would very much like to know if Firebird is to be his exit.

I’m sorry I keep trying to reply to you but getting stucksomehow. I just don’t know - I’ve seen him coaching others and he looks perfectly fit and judging by his social media he seems thrilled to be dancing next week but I agree with uou the silence on here is pretty deafening! Maybe they aren’t willing to risk anything major on him and he’ll jyst appear in the McGregor next year as it can be perhaps more tailored to his strengths...who knows but gosh I couldn’t bear for him not to get a 5* send off! 

Thanks for sharing Richard LH! 

I'm sad to be missing Hayward in Manon (I'm off on holiday!) but will see Lamb instead as I've not seen her before, and her Manon seemed to get good reviews. 

Excited for Hayward/Naghdi in SB. Also looking forward to Hayward in Coppelia, would loved to have seen Anna Rose as well as I think she'd be perfect for the role, but unfortunately as it's the Christmas period I'll likely be out of London - but will try and see Morera instead (another dancer I haven't seen before!). Interesting that Osipova hasn't been cast for Coppelia as wasn't it one of her well known roles at the Bolshoi; and I think she'd be great in it actually (the dramatic and 'exaggerated' side of Swanilda?). 

I wonder why if casting is finalised to this level that they can't release it to the website? Perhaps it's supposed to be a perk of being a friend that you know casting earlier but this isn't mentioned as a benefit in their membership options. 

As someone else has already said, it's also odd that they can release this level of casting detail (e.g. for Manon Lescaut's Mistress and G.M.) whereas on the website it's usually just Manon/De Grieux/Lescaut. Perhaps this is a poor example though as Manon is first up so they likely have more detailed casting available for this one! It'll be interesting to see if once it does go up on the website, if they'll list the same detail! 

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the Autumn's offering, lots of role debuts! 

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I think that I have already said my piece on this elsewhere on the forum but he is becoming too much of a permanent fixture for my liking (especially when one considers, for example, that Clarke does not have a (public) performance of Des Grieux).

Just a surmise (never speculate), but perhaps Clarke isn’t cast as Des Grieux because it is anticipated that he may not be back to full fitness after the injury that took him out of Romeo and Juliet.

I’m not intending to further ignite the Hallberg question, but as he had to miss his performances through injury last time, it may have been felt that it was appropriate to revisit the invitation while he was still dancing. And, of course, it has been often attested by Osipova and Hallberg how much they enjoy dancing together.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JNC said:

Thanks for sharing Richard LH! 

I'm sad to be missing Hayward in Manon (I'm off on holiday!) but will see Lamb instead as I've not seen her before, and her Manon seemed to get good reviews. 

Excited for Hayward/Naghdi in SB. Also looking forward to Hayward in Coppelia, would loved to have seen Anna Rose as well as I think she'd be perfect for the role, but unfortunately as it's the Christmas period I'll likely be out of London - but will try and see Morera instead (another dancer I haven't seen before!). Interesting that Osipova hasn't been cast for Coppelia as wasn't it one of her well known roles at the Bolshoi; and I think she'd be great in it actually (the dramatic and 'exaggerated' side of Swanilda?). 

I wonder why if casting is finalised to this level that they can't release it to the website? Perhaps it's supposed to be a perk of being a friend that you know casting earlier but this isn't mentioned as a benefit in their membership options. 

As someone else has already said, it's also odd that they can release this level of casting detail (e.g. for Manon Lescaut's Mistress and G.M.) whereas on the website it's usually just Manon/De Grieux/Lescaut. Perhaps this is a poor example though as Manon is first up so they likely have more detailed casting available for this one! It'll be interesting to see if once it does go up on the website, if they'll list the same detail! 

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the Autumn's offering, lots of role debuts! 

I figured she wasn't cast because she isn't available due to her projects. 

48 minutes ago, PatC said:

Never mind the autumn - how about next weeks triple bill? When will we hear who the replacements are!!

First night changes....

Tuesday 4 June

A Month in the Country
Matthew Ball will replace William Bracewell

Symphony in C
Yuhui Choe will replace Akane Takada
Vadim Muntagirov will replace Steven McRae
Nicol Edmonds will replace Reece Clarke 

2 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’m not intending to further ignite the Hallberg question, but as he had to miss his performances through injury last time, it may have been felt that it was appropriate to revisit the invitation while he was still dancing. And, of course, it has been often attested by Osipova and Hallberg how much they enjoy dancing together.

I know some people think the discussion about Hallberg is off topic however I think it raises an interesting point re guest artists and 'how much' they should perform, and this is the casting thread after all! 

I think it's a fine balance between having a variety of guest artists who can bring that something unique (as every dancer is unique!) versus as others have mentioned the inevitable downside of this is that casting diversity/opportunities are limited in the 'home ranks' as there are only a certain number of performances available. 

In the case of Hallberg clearly he and Osipova enjoy dancing together and have a special partnership. I haven't seen him dance yet (though I am due to go tomorrow and look forward to it with interest based on what others have said). I think the fact that he is dancing in Manon and SB means I am favouring the argument that perhaps he is guesting 'too much' (in my opinion). I feel one key role (over a number of performances) a season is an excellent flavouring, but more than that feels like they are more than a 'guest'. Just my opinion however and others of course may disagree. It'll be interesting to see if he gets cast in anything in the following seasons - if not, my argument collapses but if so I wonder if he'll become a regular feature at Covent Garden? 

• Like 1

Manon

Wednesday 2 October at 7.30pm Lamb, Muntagirov, Hirano, Mendizabal, Saunders  (Manon, Des Grieux, Lescaut, Lescaut’s Mistress, Monsieur G.M.)

Thursday 3 October at 7.30pm Cuthbertson, Ball*, Zucchetti, Stix-Brunell, Gartside

Saturday 5 October at 12 noon Lamb, Muntagirov, Hirano, Mendizabal, Saunders

Wednesday 9 October at 7.30pm Nuñez, Bolle#, Sambé, Naghdi, Avis

Saturday 12 October at 7.30pm Nuñez, Bolle#, Sambé, Naghdi, Avis

Tuesday 15 October at 7.30pm Osipova, Hallberg#, Hirano, Calvert, Saunders

Wednesday 16 October at 7.30pm Takada, McRae, Hay, Choe, Whitehead

Thursday 17 October at 1.30pm Cuthbertson, Ball, Zucchetti, Stix-Brunell, Gartside

Saturday 19 October at 1.30pm Hayward, Campbell, Corrales*, Magri*, Whitehead

Saturday 19 October at 7.30pm Osipova, Hallberg#, Hirano, Calvert, Saunders

Wednesday 23 October at 7.30pm Morera, Bonelli, Acri*, Hinkis, Gartside

Tuesday 29 October at 7.30pm Hayward, Campbell, Corrales, Magri, Whitehead

Thursday 31 October at 7.30pm Morera, Bonelli, Acri, Hinkis, Gartside

Wednesday 6 November at 7.30pm Takada, McRae, Hay, Choe, Whitehead

Concerto/ Enigma Variations/ Raymonda Act III

Tuesday 22 October at 7.30pm

Concerto: Takada*, Sambé*, Cuthbertson*, Clarke*, Kaneko*

Enigma Variations: Morera*, Saunders, Hayward*, Ball* (The Lady Elgar, Edward Elgar, Dorabella, Troyte)

Raymonda Act III: Lamb*, McRae (Raymonda, Jean de Brienne)

Friday 25 October at 7.30pm

Concerto: Hayward*, Corrales*, Hamilton*, Brændsrød*, Calvert

Enigma Variations: Arestis, Avis, Naghdi*, Campbell*

Raymonda Act III: Cuthbertson*, Bonelli*

Saturday 26 October at 7.30pm

Concerto: Takada, Sambé, Cuthbertson, Clarke, Kaneko

Enigma Variations: McNally*, Gartside*, O’Sullivan*, Bracewell*

Raymonda Act III: Lamb, McRae

Monday 28 October at 7.30pm

Concerto: O’Sullivan*, Hay*, Naghdi*, Hirano, Magri*

Enigma Variations: Morera, Saunders, Hayward, Ball

Raymonda Act III: Osipova*, Muntagirov*

Saturday 2 November at 12 noon

Concerto: Hayward, Corrales, Hamilton, Brændsrød, Calvert

Enigma Variations: Arestis, Avis, Naghdi, Campbell

Raymonda Act III: Osipova, Muntagirov

Tuesday 5 November at 7.30pm† LIVE CINEMA

Concerto: O’Sullivan, Hay, Naghdi, Hirano, Magri

Enigma Variations: Morera, Saunders, Hayward, Ball

Raymonda Act III: Osipova, Muntagirov

Wednesday 18 December at 1.30pm

Concerto: Stix-Brunell*, Richardson*, Lamb, Edmonds*, Heap

Enigma Variations: McNally, Gartside, Hinkis*, Bracewell

Raymonda Act III: Cuthbertson, Bonelli

Wednesday 18 December at 7pm

Concerto: Takada, Sambé, Naghdi, Hirano, Kaneko

Enigma Variations: Morera, Saunders, O’Sullivan, Ball

Raymonda Act III: Nuñez, Muntagirov

Friday 20 December at 1.30pm

Concerto: Stix-Brunell, Richardson, Lamb, Edmonds, Heap

Enigma Variations: Arestis, Avis, Naghdi, Campbell

Raymonda Act III: Cuthbertson, Bonelli

Friday 20 December at 7pm

Concerto: Takada, Sambé, Naghdi, Hirano, Calvert

Enigma Variations: McNally, Gartside, Hinkis, Bracewell

Raymonda Act III: Nuñez, Muntagirov

The Sleeping Beauty

Thursday 7 November at 7.30pm Naghdi, Ball  (Princess Aurora, Prince Florimund)

Saturday 9 November at 1.30pm Kaneko*, Clarke

Saturday 9 November at 7pm Hayward, Campbell

Monday 11 November at 7.30pm Takada, McRae

Wednesday 13 November at 7.30pm Hayward, Campbell

Thursday 14 November at 7.30pm Naghdi, Ball

Friday 15 November at 7.30pm Takada, McRae

Tuesday 19 November at 7.30pm Hayward, Campbell

Wednesday 20 November at 7.30pm Osipova, Hallberg*

Saturday 23 November at 7.30pm Takada, McRae

Monday 2 December at 7.30pm Osipova, Hallberg

Thursday 5 December at 2pm O’Sullivan*, Hay

Thursday 5 December at 7.30pm Lamb, Hirano

Saturday 7 December at 7pm Naghdi, Ball

Wednesday 11 December at 7.30pm Lamb, Hirano

Thursday 12 December at 7.30pm O’Sullivan, Hay

Saturday 14 December at 1.30pm Cuthbertson, Bonelli

Saturday 14 December at 7pm Lamb, Hirano

Thursday 9 January at 7.30pm Nuñez, Muntagirov

Saturday 11 January at 7.30pm Cuthbertson, Bonelli

Wednesday 15 January at 7.30pm Nuñez, Muntagirov

Thursday 16 January at 7.30pm† LIVE CINEMA Cuthbertson, Bonelli

Coppélia

Thursday 28 November at 7.30pm Hayward*, McRae*, Avis* (Swanilda, Franz, Doctor Coppélius)

Friday 29 November at 7.30pm Nuñez, Muntagirov*, Avis

Wednesday 4 December at 7.30pm Hayward, McRae, Avis

Tuesday 10 December at 7.30pm† LIVECINEMA Nuñez, Muntagirov, Avis

Monday 23 December at 2pm Morera*, Campbell*, Gartside*

Monday 23 December at 7pm Naghdi*, Ball*, Marriott

Saturday 28 December at 2pm O’Sullivan*, Sambé*, Mosley

Saturday 28 December at 7pm Naghdi, Ball, Marriott

Monday 30 December at 2pm Magri*, Corrales*, Whitehead*

Monday 30 December at 7pm Morera, Campbell, Gartside

Tuesday 31 December at 12 noon Takada*, Bracewell*, Whitehead

Tuesday 31 December at 5pm Choe*, Acri*, Howells*

Thursday 2 January at 7.30pm Takada, Bracewell, Whitehead