Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

15 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

He may be exhausted!  He  has had a very taxing, although hopefully exhilarating, season.

Yes he has! Hopefully now he won't be so overlooked. I do think he should be publicized more by the RB. He is a very regal and elegant dancer. 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the Takada/Bracewell combo was wondrous in Swan Lake and I would like that to be given opportunities to develop - they have Coppelia together, which is good.

I'm afraid I don't 'get' McRae at all and am disappointed that both Hayward and Takada are paired with him. There, I've said it!

While writing this, I would like to say that I have long been an admirer of Edward Watson and, if I haven't 'mentioned him in dispatches' for nearly two years, it is purely because he hasn't been on stage since The Wind.

I also think that, if one is particularly keen on certain dancers, it is possible to magnify in one's mind any slight criticism which appears on here as well as any comparative lack of attention. When all is said and done we each have to enjoy our favourites in our own way. I have 4 ballerinas and 4 male dancers who I particularly admire and they couldn't be more different. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, J_New said:

I agree - she was stunning as Juliet, and I was really hoping she'd get the chance to do Manon. Her performances are so thoughtful and nuanced - her Manon would have been something special!  I'd love to see her as Tatiana - wonder if she'll get the chance ....?

In spite of her recent Juliet, Stix-Brunell is one of the company's most underused dancers (IMO), but I'm actually more disappointed she's not debuting Swanhilda.  The company isn't losing any Manons to retirement from the last run, so realistically there wasn't going to be a debut.  Whereas Coppelia is a long-awaited revival featuring a lot of debuts especially for dancers below the principal rank (Magri, O'Sullivan, Choe, Corrales, Sambe, Acri) so it's difficult not to see her cast.  Her personality would be a great fit for the role.

O'Sullivan is a great talent but I personally wouldn't have given her *both* Aurora and Swanhilda back-to-back.  She probably up to the task though.  I am thrilled Kaneko is getting to do Aurora, but for both ladies to each have only one performance of such a daunting role is a lot of pressure.

ETA:  I see O'Sullivan has two Auroras, Kaneko one.

Edited by MRR
  • Like 7

I think Stix Brunell would make a great Swanhilda so think she deserves a chance at this role. She is a First soloist I think? 

Bit we don't know yet what is happening in terms of casting in the New Year so let's hope for her there.

• Like 7

Stix Brunell could be making a debut in Swan Lake or perhaps also performing one of the prominent leads in Onegin. Maybe that can explain the lack of a debut in Coppelia? Is she performing Aurora? 

Edited by HappyTurk

1 hour ago, balletyas said:

The starting point for this discussion was the Autumn casting and the absence of EW which seemed surprising given that he is imminently scheduled to appear in Firebird so must therefore be deemed to have recovered from last year’s injury. Nobody is asking intrusive questions about his health, we are just worrying that  he might be retiring from the stage without being given the farewell he deserves. 

It is hard to see how a tweet reading: ‘You are much missed on stage.  Looking forward to Firebird and hopefully other performances very soon’ could upset any dancer.  I do not believe that dancers, particularly senior,  very experienced ones are the delicate flowers some would have us believe.  To have achieved status in such a demanding art form, one has to be more than just a talented performer.  Indeed,  most now spend a fair amount of their time promoting themselves, especially on social media.

Dancers are performers who understand the value of a raised profile and an enthusiastic fan base which is a point I’ve made before In response to tiresome, baseless allegations of not respecting dancers.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Stix Brunell could be making a debut in Swan Lake or perhaps also performing one of the prominent leads in Onegin. Maybe that can explain the lack of a debut in Coppelia? Is she performing Aurora? 

Stix-Brunell is not cast as Aurora.  Presumably she will dance Lilac as she has done so before. 

Onegin only has 12 shows and Tatiana is typically cast on experienced principal ballerinas, so I would expect her to dance Olga.   Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MRR said:

Stix-Brunell is not cast as Aurora.  Presumably she will dance Lilac as she has done so before. 

Onegin only has 12 shows and Tatiana is typically cast on experienced principal ballerinas, so I would expect her to dance Olga.   Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy.  

I suppose then that if the 2018 run had a similar number of shows, I imagine the only debut this run might be Kaneko. 

Edited by HappyTurk

9 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

I think Mcrae has often been paired up with Takada for height reasons as I don't think they have chemistry at all.

Ouch ! I  can't agree with that, at all, HT.  I can't imagine the casting team at the RB would keep putting them together for height reasons alone,  if they did not perceive good chemistry  in their partnership.

So far I have seen them live together in La Bayadere and Mayerling , and recorded in The Dream. Three very different ballets, and for me they were really great together in each.  I am looking forward with interest  to see McRae's Des Grieux, although Campbell was brilliant with Takada when he stepped into this role last time, and also  their Sleeping Beauty  pairing - this should be classic in every sense. Mind you Takada and Bracewell were a wonderful together  in Swan Lake (to be repeated I hope) and I am also really looking forward to what these two make of their debuts in  in Coppelia. 

8 hours ago, capybara said:

I have 4 ballerinas and 4 male dancers who I particularly admire and they couldn't be more different. 

Come on capybara, don't leave us hanging....spill the beans ! 😉

Edited by Richard LH

7 hours ago, MRR said:

I really really hope that Claire Calvert will be given Swan Lake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Come on capybara, don't leave us hanging....spill the beans ! 😉

Too dangerous!!!!

I was thinking of those who I particularly book for but I've added many more this morning - because I am interested in watching so many currently lower-ranked dancers as well as those who are more prominent. So, if I'm not careful, I would end up listing half the Company! That's what makes being able to see the Royal Ballet so frequently very special.

• Like 5

Bridiem:

"Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy."  

Assuming the current 6 Odette/Odiles (Nunez, Osipova, Naghdi, Takada, Lamb, Cuthbertson) each get 3 performances, add to this the likelihood Hayward will make her debut and dancing 2 or 3 performances: this takes up 20 or 21 performances thus leaving 4 or 5 performances to share between two other debutantes (Kaneko hopefully! Stix-Brunell? or Calvert?or..?).

Swan Lake is a mammoth of a ballet not only requiring a very high level of technical skill but also enormous stamina to get through this full-length ballet.

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks ....that looks like the Manon for me then as will only go once and haven't seen Hayward in this role yet.

On second thoughts could be tempted by the prospect of Bolle in the main role! In fact that whole cast looks really good. I can usually only take Manon once in a run!! It's so draining! But maybe will have to do some judicial spacing and see both these casts! 

Bolle and Nunez were tremendous together last time round. So was Hayward, but I wasn’t so convinced by her partner on that occasion. 

5 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Bridiem:

"Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy."  

Assuming the current 6 Odette/Odiles (Nunez, Osipova, Naghdi, Takada, Lamb, Cuthbertson) each get 3 performances, add to this the likelihood Hayward will make her debut and dancing 2 or 3 performances: this takes up 20 or 21 performances thus leaving 4 or 5 performances to share between two other debutantes (Kaneko hopefully! Stix-Brunell? or Calvert?or..?).

Swan Lake is a mammoth of a ballet not only requiring a very high level of technical skill but also enormous stamina to get through this full-length ballet.

Didn't each principal get 4 shows the last run? Maybe they'll do the same again (especially considering Lamb, Cuthbertson, and Osipova were all left out from Coppelia. And then since Nunez and Takada also had 4 shows last time, I imagine they'll do the same. Naghdi might be given 3 like last time which leaves 2 shows left)? For some reason, I don't think Hayward will be making a debut (I've already stated my reasons why in the past). But I'm certain Kaneko will (perhaps that can explain why she only got 1 Aurora). I doubt Calvert will based on how she has been cast lately. 

Edited by HappyTurk

1 hour ago, AnneL said:

Bolle and Nunez were tremendous together last time round. So was Hayward, but I wasn’t so convinced by her partner on that occasion. 

Saw Bolle as des Grieux years ago and thought he was terrific !

46 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Didn't each principal get 4 shows the last run?

I make it Nunez 5, Osipova 4, Takada 5, Lamb 6, and Naghdi 4, the last three named picking up 4 extras between them due to Cuthbertson pulling out.

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

Richard, at the risk of sounding thick I tried to find this on the ROH web site so that I could print it off for a friend. Where is it? I've now printed it off from your posting, but I'm still mystified!

It is not there yet...I rang the Friends number and they told me the information would be there next week but that they could email me the castings pdf.

46 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I make it Nunez 5, Osipova 4, Takada 5, Lamb 6, and Naghdi 4, the last three named picking up 4 extras between them due to Cuthbertson pulling out.

Oh wow. Well, if this run mirrors that, I'm afraid there will be little room for many debuts which will be a bummer. 

Edited by HappyTurk

10 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

A little reminder that KOH said at the Patrons’ and Premium Friends’ Season Preview that there would be new principal castings in Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake.

I suppose then we'll have to sit tight and wait for the promotion news!

Edited by HappyTurk

So much to look forward too. I am glad that there are so many performances of the lovely triple bill. Regarding the casting for Enigma am I correct in thinking that at the Royal Ballet, nobody other than Derek Rencher played Elgar for roughly the first twenty years, and that since the 1990s' revivals, only Christopher Saunders has taken on this role. Interesting therefore to note that there will be 3 Elgars in this run. I, too, would have thought that Kish would have been the perfect Elgar, but maybe he will still be dancing the Robert Mead role (Richard P Arnold). I love 3 of the 4 choices of Dorabellas and am hoping to be proved wrong by the fourth! Arestis is as perfect a Lady Elgar as can be seen , unless, of course, you have the opportunity to see Beriosova on film. It be interesting to see what Morera (a surprising, but inspired choice) and McNally make of the Lady. Acri was superb in Wayne Sleep's original role (Wayne Sleep said so)  in the Ashton Masterclass.

Regarding Edward Watson, I am hoping he will reprise Carabosse in The Sleeping Beauty. That's the role I have enjoyed him in the most!

Thank you Royal Ballet for providing us with such detailed (and luxurious) casting. This feels like a good sign.

17 hours ago, MRR said:

In spite of her recent Juliet, Stix-Brunell is one of the company's most underused dancers (IMO), but I'm actually more disappointed she's not debuting Swanhilda.

My heart is heavy for the beautiful Beatriz Stix-Brunell. She was an utterly convincing and enchanting Juliet. I agree that her sparkling personality seems perfect for Swanhilda. Plus she is an enthusiastic ambassador for the company, as illustrated by this Podcast

Would love any insight from the experienced experts here on why she is not getting more main role debuts. Will she be playing harlots and mistresses forever? What does KOH not see??
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, MRR said:

but for both ladies to each have only one performance of such a daunting role is a lot of pressure.

The lists we have seen online and as provided by RichardLH do not included Schools and Hamlyn Family Matinees. I would expect that, where dancers appear to have only one, or even no, show, they might be cast  for performances which are not open for general booking. 

[The basis of this assumption is previous well-trod practice!]

Why have we moved onto Swan Lake casting in such forensic detail? We were rightly itching for the autumn leads but let's wait until Swan Lake is due.

BTW, I do think that Francesca Hayward will be cast as Odette/Odile this season. Why ever not?

9 minutes ago, capybara said:

Why have we moved onto Swan Lake casting in such forensic detail? We were rightly itching for the autumn leads but let's wait until Swan Lake is due.

BTW, I do think that Francesca Hayward will be cast as Odette/Odile this season. Why ever not?

Well, we were discussing Swan Lake because of Stix-Brunnel's lack of a debut role in the major roles this Autumn which then lended itself to a discussion on whether that is because she will be debuting in other major roles later on. And as with O'Sullivan, Hayward seems (to me) to be a dancer who is a great fit for Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, Coppelia, and Giselle -- but most certainly not Swan Lake or even La Bayadere and Don Quixote. I could go more into detail but I feel like my comments may spark an argument and this isn't the appropriate thread for this topic anyways. So, I'll stop here! 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 3

I remember when I was a JA all the press excitement about Lesley Collier’s Swan Lake debut and the sneering “more pigeon than swan” comments afterwards. I can understand HappyTurk not feeling sure that Francesca Hayward will be cast in Swan Lake. Without wishing to set one dancer against another, it has been remarkable to see how Yasmine Naghdi seems to have risen to every challenge across the repertoire this season, but I look forward to seeing how Francesca Hayward consolidates on her return to a full season. Her Aurora, Giselle, Manon and Rhapsody have all been memorably exquisite.We are so lucky to have two such outstanding young principal ballerinas and the next generation ofallerinas (Kaneko, Magri, O’Sullivan, Stix-Brunell) is already on the rise....

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Candleque said:

My heart is heavy for the beautiful Beatriz Stix-Brunell. She was an utterly convincing and enchanting Juliet. I agree that her sparkling personality seems perfect for Swanhilda. Plus she is an enthusiastic ambassador for the company, as illustrated by this Podcast

Although neither is a “go to” dancer for me, I also feel so sorry for Yuhui Choe and Melissa Hamilton, taken out of Aurora and Manon. Five years ago, Choe was the dancer chosen to replace Osipova as Aurora. Hamilton hasn’t had RB chances in the classics but her MacMillan work has been much admired. It must be incredibly difficult to maintain motivation as the next generation rises and passes you by when early signals suggested  you were that next generation.

• Like 11

The comments about Lesley Collier's debut in Swan Lake seem rather nasty, but presumably Collier went on to dance the role many times? 

Edited to add a link to a review of Collier's Swan Lake: https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/25/arts/royal-ballet-swan-lake.html

I know it seems a rather obvious thing to say, but surely we will only know what sort of Odette/Odile Hayward will make when she is given the chance to dance them.   Many dancers who don't seem a natural fit for a role often surprise me greatly when they are given the opportunity.  I can think of several times in the past where the casting of a particular dancer raised many eyebrows, and then they went on to be extremely good.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Fonty said:

The comments about Lesley Collier's debut in Swan Lake seem rather nasty, but presumably Collier went on to dance the role many times? 

Edited to add a link to a review of Collier's Swan Lake: https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/25/arts/royal-ballet-swan-lake.html

I know it seems a rather obvious thing to say, but surely we will only know what sort of Odette/Odile Hayward will make when she is given the chance to dance them.   Many dancers who don't seem a natural fit for a role often surprise me greatly when they are given the opportunity.  I can think of several times in the past where the casting of a particular dancer raised many eyebrows, and then they went on to be extremely good.  

Sorry, I wasn’t entirely clear. There was a lot of negativity about Collier’s Swan Lake debut after the hype,  but she become a fine exponent of the role, and her final Giselle is one of my absolute most treasured dance memories.

• Like 2