15 minutes ago, alison said:

Except that she was promoted to Principal.  On a tour to Japan, unless my memory fails me.

Yes, Bull was, I realise that.  I just meant that she was dancing principal roles for several years before gaining the official title.  

• Like 2

On 01/06/2019 at 18:09, Jamesrhblack said:

I also feel so sorry for Yuhui Choe and Melissa Hamilton, taken out of Aurora and Manon.

I see from the website that Hamilton and Clarke are kicking off the season with the Manon Welcome matinee on 02 October,  and that Choe and Acri are listed for the Coppelia Schools matinee on  28 November.

Nunez and Muntagirov are listed for the Sleeping Beauty  Welcome matinee on 11 January. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I see from the website that Hamilton and Clarke are kicking off the season with the Manon Welcome matinee on 02 October,  and that Choe and Acri are listed for the Coppelia Schools matinee on  28 November.

Nunez and Muntagirov are listed for the Sleeping Beauty  Welcome matinee on 11 January. 

Ah, that’s interesting and good news for Hamilton and Clarke, neither of whom appeared on the original PDF casting that was sent at the start of this thread.

29 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thank you for the update 

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I see from the website that Hamilton and Clarke are kicking off the season with the Manon Welcome matinee on 02 October

Hamilton is the dancer I most want to see as Manon out of the RB candidates so to find out she's doing it but only in a non-public performance is jolly frustrating!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Casting is up for the performances of Monotones in the Linbury:

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/cross-currents-monotones-ii-new-tanowitz-by-various

Thanks! A lot of TBC though...also intrigued that they are doing two performances an evening, wonder why this is. Perhaps not enough free evenings in the Linbury, surely not?

I'd like to go but not sure about ticket availability once general booking opens, plus would be interesting to see the prices. For a 45 minute performance I'm hoping it will be cheap, I wouldn't go if it was priced similar to a mixed bill on the main stage! 

7 minutes ago, JNC said:

Thanks! A lot of TBC though...also intrigued that they are doing two performances an evening, wonder why this is. Perhaps not enough free evenings in the Linbury, surely not?

I'd like to go but not sure about ticket availability once general booking opens, plus would be interesting to see the prices. For a 45 minute performance I'm hoping it will be cheap, I wouldn't go if it was priced similar to a mixed bill on the main stage! 

The TBC is for the other works. Monotones II only has three dancers so they’re all named. 

Edit: just checked the prices and they’re £5 - £25

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The TBC is for the other works. Monotones II only has three dancers so they’re all named. 

Edit: just checked the prices and they’re £5 - £25

Brilliant thanks! 

Whilst this is great news I'm now wondering if they are so 'cheap' as to incentivise more people to book so I won't get a ticket anyway ha! I'd rather this though then them being overpriced so luck of the draw on booking day! In some ways it may be a relief as I'm already looking to spend far too much on the Autumn season anyway! 

4 hours ago, JNC said:

For a 45 minute performance I'm hoping it will be cheap, I wouldn't go if it was priced similar to a mixed bill on the main stage! 

At the Patrons' and Premium Friends' Season Preview, KOH said "half an evening, so half the price." 

I note they haven’t posted castings for the Enigma mixed bill online though other castings are up. Come on ROH! 

Casting  looks promising and I will be pleased to see Hayward and Campbell together again. Well Hayward full stop really.  To be honest, and it is great they give their dancers other opportunities, the absences for a large part of the year have been f3lt ain't Hinks.  Although ai loved the Christmas triple bill,  a lot of the other stuff I have been a bit lacklustre about.

I'm not sure if I should create a separate thread (perhaps mods can do so if appropriate/preferred) but after reading through the 'Who to see in Manon thread' and finding it very insightful, I wondered who people had booked to see in Sleeping Beauty and Coppelia. 

I already have some ideas about who I want to see (not a Friend so have a month or so to wait still!) but I'd be curious to see who others have booked for and am prepared to be challenged and change my mind! Also to add that I'm fairly newish to RB so haven't seen either Sleeping Beauty or Coppelia with them before. 

If anyone is interested at the moment I'd like to see:

Hayward/Naghdi in Sleeping Beauty. Also considering Nunez/O'Sullivan but due to price can really only see two performances. 

Hayward/O'Sullivan in Coppelia. Also considering Morera/Takada and could possibly stretch to three performances. 

It does seem that certain dancers are suited to certain roles (although exactly which for which role is a lot down to individual preference) so I'm hoping some avid ballet fans who have seen Sleeping Beauty/Coppelia before, or have seen a wider variety of dancers than I have and think dancers would be particularly suited/good in a particular role (in their opinion) can provide some advice! 

Of course I know everyone has different preferences etc and this is not to say some dancers are 'better' than others, I'm just genuinely curious and was a bit inspired by the Manon discussion!

8 hours ago, JNC said:

It does seem that certain dancers are suited to certain roles (although exactly which for which role is a lot down to individual preference) so I'm hoping some avid ballet fans who have seen Sleeping Beauty/Coppelia before, or have seen a wider variety of dancers than I have and think dancers would be particularly suited/good in a particular role (in their opinion) can provide some advice! 

I am in a similar position of relative newbie  having only seen recorded versions of the RB performing The Sleeping Beauty and Coppélia.

For SB I am going  (so far!) for the enchanting  Takada/McRae, the Hayward/Campbell dream team, and the  ever dependable Nunez/Muntagirov. I say so far because O'Sullivan (debut)/Hay is pretty tempting.....

As far as Coppélia goes, the last performance was 2006 and so it seems only Nunez has danced Swanilda before;  all the ladies are debuting in that role, as are all the men as Franz.

So I am excited about Takada/Bracewell, and am also going for Hayward/McRae and Nunez/Muntagirov...so far....it is difficult, there are some other great combinations!

• Like 1

Now I have just talked myself into also booking O'Sullivan/Hay  in  SB and Morera/Campbell in Coppélia......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Now I have just talked myself into also booking O'Sullivan/Hay  in  SB and Morera/Campbell in Coppélia......

You sound like me, Richard LH! I to and fro about it and then give in on the risky ground that 'only one more ticket' won't make much difference financially. And so it goes on... I'd love to see more of Takada, but she's so often teamed with McRae who I don't generally want to see, and for me the big ballets only work if I like both principals. Such a shame. But probably helpful from a financial point of view!

• Like 4

My choices would be Morera and possibly Hayward in Coppelia and Naghdi and possibly O’Sullivan in Sleeping Beauty. The ‘possibles’ are those I would like to see but at least will have further performances in the future, whereas I would choose to see Morera and Naghdi this time (although I know that Naghdi will have further chances in the future).

My 'hopes' for the autumn season (haven't been able to book yet as am not a Friend so waiting for public packages or public booking)

Manon

Lamb/Muntagirov (primarily because of the very unexpected but welcome matinee which means I don't need to pay for an overnight stay.)

Hayward/Cambell/Corrales/Magri. An exceptional dream team with potentially 2 very exciting debuts and also a matinee.

Morera/Bonelli. Bit of soul searching financially for this. Would love to see them as have never seen Morera in this role and suspect this might be my last chance. (Didn't Bonelli do it in the cinema broadcast with Nunez a few years ago?) Wednesday not a good day evening staywise for me as can only get my 'cheap' hotel at the weekend but might have to go anyway.

Would love to see Osipova and certainly would after the Hayward matinee if she wasn't paired with Hallberg whose partnering I was really concerned about just in the R and Juliet Fonteyn gala pas de deux. Now if it was Shklyarov you couldn't have kept me away!

Concerto triple

The cinema broadcast gives a really excellent cast and is great to see a triple being filmed. However...

The Saturday 12 o'clock matinee on Nov 2nd also seems to have a must-see cast' and great it's a matinee.

Also the cast for Wed evening 18th Dec.

Sleeping Beauty

Not a great fan of this and annoyed the cinema broadcast isn't the Naghdi/Ball cast featuring in the promotions as this would have spared me the expense of a ROH visit. Cuthbertson has already had a filmed performance with Polunin. If it couldn't have been Naghdi/Ball because they've had a filmed Romeo and J why couldn't if have been the Hayward/Campbell cast? To me they gave the standout performance last time it was performed and as they only managed the one I was so lucky to have seen it.

Hayward/Campbell

O'Sullivan/Hay

Probably Naghdi/Ball

Coppelia

Don't really like the ballet and even watching the wonderful Australian Ballet version recently broadcast on SkyArts didn't really make a convert of me. For me the second act drags on interminably and have never been a huge fan of the third act so to see a ballet when all the interesting dance you want to see comes in the first act is a bit of a letdown. However, I've had similar thoughts about several RB ballets in the last few years and have ended up being captivated by individual performances so I'm hoping they'll perform their magic again. Incidentally Franz is a role I've never visualised Vadim dancing let alone in the cinema broadcast so I'll be interested to see what he makes of it. I would have preferred to see one of the younger couples at the cinema in such a young persons ballet but I suppose it's the only filmed full length ballet he could star in as he's already been filmed for Beauty and Swan Lake.

O'Sullivan/Sambe

Naghdi/Ball

Magri/Coralles

Hayward/McRae

I selected these four as they are all huge favourites with me and I can see all of them on just 2 days with the wonders of casting and Saturday matinees.I would  love to see Campbell/Morera as well but it would have to be a matinee and as their only matinee is Dec 23rd I don't know how practical that would be.

When I told my brother I'd 'pared down' my Autumn RB performances to 12 he thought that was hilarious! The main worry is the expense, as for me it's not just the ticket price but transport and accommodation as well. Also I'm trying not to think about all the Onegins I'll probably want to see after Christmas! Has anyone any experience of declaring themselves bankrupt?!

• Like 4

I always find myself snapping some last minute tickets closer to the time! This helps spread the cost somewhat! I'm still expecting to take a big hit in the Autumn/Winter bookings, but at least Spring/Summer provides a bit of financial relief (though if I was sensible any 'saved' here should really be put towards future Autumn/Winter bookings as ballet always seems a bit top heavy). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JNC said:

I always find myself snapping some last minute tickets closer to the time! This helps spread the cost somewhat!

Trouble is, I will be tempted to do some last minute snapping as well as booking in advance !

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JNC said:

I always find myself snapping some last minute tickets closer to the time! This helps spread the cost somewhat! I'm still expecting to take a big hit in the Autumn/Winter bookings, but at least Spring/Summer provides a bit of financial relief (though if I was sensible any 'saved' here should really be put towards future Autumn/Winter bookings as ballet always seems a bit top heavy). 

Do you need to stay in London overnight JNC? I find the trouble with last minute tickets is then I have to pay even more inflated prices for transport and accommodation. If I leave matinee booking until later I'm concerned I won't get the seats I want as they tend to sell pretty fast for others like me who don't want to add hotel costs to their already large ROH bill. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

When I told my brother I'd 'pared down' my Autumn RB performances to 12 he thought that was hilarious! The main worry is the expense, as for me it's not just the ticket price but transport and accommodation as well. Also I'm trying not to think about all the Onegins I'll probably want to see after Christmas! Has anyone any experience of declaring themselves bankrupt?!

I only wish my mother had been amused when I confessed exactly how much my 10 ballet plus 1 opera tickets had cost. (£770 plus the £100 Friends membership.) At least I only have to pay train fares on the day & don't have to pay for accommodation. I went into work the next day & promptly volunteered myself to the manager for my next temp job even before this one finishes so hopefully bankruptcy will just about be averted!

@JNC I was going to start a thread for Sleeping Beauty & Coppelia but then succumbed to Friends membership & had to make a decision on who to book for before I had time to do so. I went for Hayward/Campbell & Nunez/Muntagirov in SB and Morera/Campbell & Magri/Corrales in Coppelia (I would have gone for Nunez/Muntagirov if they didn't have the cinecast). As I've not seen the RB do either piece before, in fact I've never seen Coppelia at all, I just went for dancers who I've liked this past season.

I found the triple bill hardest to decide on 2 performances for. I ended up going for 25th October & 20th December evening, which taken in conjunction with the cinecast seemed to cover the greatest number of the dancers I most want to see, although not all of them.

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Do you need to stay in London overnight JNC? I find the trouble with last minute tickets is then I have to pay even more inflated prices for transport and accommodation. If I leave matinee booking until later I'm concerned I won't get the seats I want as they tend to sell pretty fast for others like me who don't want to add hotel costs to their already large ROH bill. 

No, luckily I live in london so don’t have this additional logistical and financial headache! 

Thanks all for thoughts, I think I’m going to stick with my additional combination (but potentially try for a few more last minute tickets closer to the time depending on finances etc!). 

On 12/07/2019 at 22:32, JNC said:

I'm not sure if I should create a separate thread (perhaps mods can do so if appropriate/preferred) but after reading through the 'Who to see in Manon thread' and finding it very insightful, I wondered who people had booked to see in Sleeping Beauty and Coppelia. 

Originially I was going to treat myself and book 3 casts for Sleeping Beauty and they would have been Osipova/Hallberg, Hayward/Campbell and O'Sullivan/Hay.  I really love Hayward and Campbell so I think they would be great to see and I'm a James Hay fan (and also read lots of great things about O'Sullivan on here I just haven't seen her in much) so I thought it would be nice to see her debut.  But then life got in the way and I had lots of unexpected expense so I just had to pick 1 performance for each ballet this season and have gone for Osipova/Hallberg.  My reasoning was I've never seen her Aurora and I'm a big fan of hers and I have always wanted to see her interpretation of this role.  Also I have watched Hallberg in this role a million times (albeit on DVD 😄) and I think he's amazing in it.  I know that was pre injury but seeing him in A month in the country reassured me h'e's still the interesting artist he always was even if he can't do everything he once could so that was my choice.

Now with Coppelia I have gone for Magri/Corrales .  It was between them and Hayward /McRae or Morera/Campbell but I'm not a big McRae fan (although I can definitely see him as Franz, I think the role will really suit him) and the Morera/Campbell dates just didn't quite work out for me so I've left it.  I think Magri will be great in this role and I've been so impressed with Corrales that I decided to go for them.  I think the Choe/Acri and O'Sullivan/Sambe casts would also be nice to see, I can imagine them well in the roles but again I had to rule them out just because the dates didn't work out for me.  But honestly, personally I think Coppelia is such a lovely ballet you could book any cast and have a great time.  I've never seen RB dancing Coppelia before but Coppelia has a special place in my heart as it was my first full length ballet I saw live- BRB toured it a few years ago before I was living in London and I got bitten by the ballet bug 😃

Edited by serenade
  • Like 1

Hayward/McRae is one of my choices for Coppélia;  I was trying to think if they have danced together before, and if so, in what ?? 

(Apart from Cats The Movie......)

Can anyone help please?

14 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Hayward/McRae is one of my choices for Coppélia;  I was trying to think if they have danced together before, and if so, in what ?? 

Can anyone help please?

Romeo & Juliet on tour I believe ....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Can anyone help please?

As James has said, they did one performance of Romeo and Juliet on tour in Japan in 2016.

They also did Perdita and Florizel in Winter's Tale on tour in Australia in 2017. Hayward was replacing Lamb.

• Like 2