Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

20 minutes ago, JNC said:

I always find myself snapping some last minute tickets closer to the time! This helps spread the cost somewhat! I'm still expecting to take a big hit in the Autumn/Winter bookings, but at least Spring/Summer provides a bit of financial relief (though if I was sensible any 'saved' here should really be put towards future Autumn/Winter bookings as ballet always seems a bit top heavy). 

Do you need to stay in London overnight JNC? I find the trouble with last minute tickets is then I have to pay even more inflated prices for transport and accommodation. If I leave matinee booking until later I'm concerned I won't get the seats I want as they tend to sell pretty fast for others like me who don't want to add hotel costs to their already large ROH bill. 

• Like 1

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

When I told my brother I'd 'pared down' my Autumn RB performances to 12 he thought that was hilarious! The main worry is the expense, as for me it's not just the ticket price but transport and accommodation as well. Also I'm trying not to think about all the Onegins I'll probably want to see after Christmas! Has anyone any experience of declaring themselves bankrupt?!

I only wish my mother had been amused when I confessed exactly how much my 10 ballet plus 1 opera tickets had cost. (£770 plus the £100 Friends membership.) At least I only have to pay train fares on the day & don't have to pay for accommodation. I went into work the next day & promptly volunteered myself to the manager for my next temp job even before this one finishes so hopefully bankruptcy will just about be averted!

@JNC I was going to start a thread for Sleeping Beauty & Coppelia but then succumbed to Friends membership & had to make a decision on who to book for before I had time to do so. I went for Hayward/Campbell & Nunez/Muntagirov in SB and Morera/Campbell & Magri/Corrales in Coppelia (I would have gone for Nunez/Muntagirov if they didn't have the cinecast). As I've not seen the RB do either piece before, in fact I've never seen Coppelia at all, I just went for dancers who I've liked this past season.

I found the triple bill hardest to decide on 2 performances for. I ended up going for 25th October & 20th December evening, which taken in conjunction with the cinecast seemed to cover the greatest number of the dancers I most want to see, although not all of them.

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Do you need to stay in London overnight JNC? I find the trouble with last minute tickets is then I have to pay even more inflated prices for transport and accommodation. If I leave matinee booking until later I'm concerned I won't get the seats I want as they tend to sell pretty fast for others like me who don't want to add hotel costs to their already large ROH bill. 

No, luckily I live in london so don’t have this additional logistical and financial headache! 

Thanks all for thoughts, I think I’m going to stick with my additional combination (but potentially try for a few more last minute tickets closer to the time depending on finances etc!). 

On 12/07/2019 at 22:32, JNC said:

I'm not sure if I should create a separate thread (perhaps mods can do so if appropriate/preferred) but after reading through the 'Who to see in Manon thread' and finding it very insightful, I wondered who people had booked to see in Sleeping Beauty and Coppelia. 

Originially I was going to treat myself and book 3 casts for Sleeping Beauty and they would have been Osipova/Hallberg, Hayward/Campbell and O'Sullivan/Hay.  I really love Hayward and Campbell so I think they would be great to see and I'm a James Hay fan (and also read lots of great things about O'Sullivan on here I just haven't seen her in much) so I thought it would be nice to see her debut.  But then life got in the way and I had lots of unexpected expense so I just had to pick 1 performance for each ballet this season and have gone for Osipova/Hallberg.  My reasoning was I've never seen her Aurora and I'm a big fan of hers and I have always wanted to see her interpretation of this role.  Also I have watched Hallberg in this role a million times (albeit on DVD 😄) and I think he's amazing in it.  I know that was pre injury but seeing him in A month in the country reassured me h'e's still the interesting artist he always was even if he can't do everything he once could so that was my choice.

Now with Coppelia I have gone for Magri/Corrales .  It was between them and Hayward /McRae or Morera/Campbell but I'm not a big McRae fan (although I can definitely see him as Franz, I think the role will really suit him) and the Morera/Campbell dates just didn't quite work out for me so I've left it.  I think Magri will be great in this role and I've been so impressed with Corrales that I decided to go for them.  I think the Choe/Acri and O'Sullivan/Sambe casts would also be nice to see, I can imagine them well in the roles but again I had to rule them out just because the dates didn't work out for me.  But honestly, personally I think Coppelia is such a lovely ballet you could book any cast and have a great time.  I've never seen RB dancing Coppelia before but Coppelia has a special place in my heart as it was my first full length ballet I saw live- BRB toured it a few years ago before I was living in London and I got bitten by the ballet bug 😃

Edited by serenade
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Hayward/McRae is one of my choices for Coppélia;  I was trying to think if they have danced together before, and if so, in what ?? 

(Apart from Cats The Movie......)

Can anyone help please?

Romeo & Juliet on tour I believe ....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Hayward/McRae is one of my choices for Coppélia;  I was trying to think if they have danced together before, and if so, in what ?? 

(Apart from Cats The Movie......)

Can anyone help please?

As James has said, they did one performance of Romeo and Juliet on tour in Japan in 2016.

They also did Perdita and Florizel in Winter's Tale on tour in Australia in 2017. Hayward was replacing Lamb.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Saodan said:

As James has said, they did one performance of Romeo and Juliet on tour in Japan in 2016.

They also did Perdita and Florizel in Winter's Tale on tour in Australia in 2017. Hayward was replacing Lamb.

Yes, Hayward replaced Salenko who could not come to Japan and that was almost a last minute replacement. 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2019 at 16:45, bangorballetboy said:

There is scheduled to be.

Can you tell me what, I haven't spotted anything?  He does seem pretty much forgotten now.  IF he is coming to the end, I would have hoped KOH would have scheduled something that he could bow out on.  We are surely overdue Woolf Works and I wonder why he isn't doing Manon.  

• 3 weeks later...

As we head towards general booking for the Autumn RB season, there seems to be a good range of seats still available for virtually all the performances as far as I can see.

One notable exception is that for the two Nunez /Muntagirov performances of Coppélia there are hardly any Stalls Circle or Orchestra Stalls seats left. Whilst I realise they  are a popular duo, it seems strange that so few seats are left in those areas for their Coppélia  - there are still loads of seats available for them in The Sleeping Beauty, for example.  

I wonder if there has been some sort of block reservation for these particular Coppélia performances, and whether more could become available later on...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/08/2019 at 08:07, Odyssey said:

I note the casting has now  disappeared. Does this mean there is likely to be a change?

The Cross Currents casting has reappeared and is now there for all three pieces:

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/cross-currents-monotones-ii-everyone-keeps-me-by-various

For detailed casting for each piece, you need to click on the relevant performance.

Oct 10 at 7.15pm https://www.roh.org.uk/events/y0gg5

Oct 10 at 9pm https://www.roh.org.uk/events/lbsjg

Oct 11 at 7.15pm https://www.roh.org.uk/events/lhlzx

Oct 11 at 9pm https://www.roh.org.uk/events/30hde

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

Thanks Bluebird! Disappointed to be missing Hayward/Ball/Magri as that is fantastic casting but you can't win them all. Plus I'm ever increasingly becoming a fan of Pajdak! 

Looks like the everyone keeps me cast is the same across all performances. 

I wonder why Linbury casting can't be announced the same time as main stage performances? Perhaps it's because casting/rehearsals start much closer to the time as the works are smaller? Then again, I imagine casting could be decided in advance, I highly doubt O'Hare just randomly picks people, so it would certainly be achievable to announce casting earlier? If anything knowing a few days before doesn't mean much, it may be better to turn up on the day for a 'surprise' cast! 

2 hours ago, alison said:

Now confirmed that Choe replaces Naghdi as Lescaut's Mistress this coming Saturday.

Interestingly this change has been on the web site since at least yesterday morning and she said on social media that she wouldn't be doing Saturday when she pulled out earlier in the week.

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III

Tuesday 22 October 2019
Saturday 26 October 2019

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast change:

Akane Takada is replaced by Anna Rose O’Sullivan

If you have any questions please contact our Box Office team on +44 (0)20 7304 4000 (Monday–Saturday: 10am–8pm) who will be happy to assist you.

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III

Tuesday 22 October 2019
Saturday 26 October 2019

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast change:

Akane Takada is replaced by Anna Rose O’Sullivan

If you have any questions please contact our Box Office team on +44 (0)20 7304 4000 (Monday–Saturday: 10am–8pm) who will be happy to assist you.

I wonder why?  She is still dancing Manon tomorrow night, isn't she?  Ah well, Anna-Rose is a worthy replacement!

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

I wonder why?  She is still dancing Manon tomorrow night, isn't she?  Ah well, Anna-Rose is a worthy replacement!

Probably being careful on her return from injury and not wanting rehearsals to prejudice her Manons?

She is still listed for Concerto on the 18th and 20th December. Good!

Anna Rose O'Sullivan was cast for Concerto anyway so she has more for us to enjoy too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, capybara said:

Probably being careful on her return from injury and not wanting rehearsals to prejudice her Manons?

I would think/hope so....there are some pretty clear social media indications, timed only a couple of hours ago, that she is still dancing Manon tomorrow night.  

• Like 2

The ROH/RB has been very courteous in its response to the complaint I raised (see above).

I think that the blip last week (when Yuhui Choe replaced Yasmine Naghdi) is unlikely to recur. However, since patrons will have been advised of the changes online (and by e-mail), the asterisking of names/noting of replacements in cast sheets will not be re-introduced.

This link would appear to be key in keeping abreast of changes: https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-cast-changes-autumn-19-20

I guess that we should all bookmark it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alison said:

This doesn't solve the problem of people who haven't booked but might be tempted by the cast change, of course :( 

I think if you keep an eye on the page capybara shared as well as on this forum you’ll be very up to date!

Pleased to see they will go back to sending emails out and updating the page. Why this means they will no longer bother with updating cast sheets is frustrating - they give with one hand and take away with the other...would it be possible to not do both? Like some others on here I like keeping cast sheets to refer back to so where possible (I know if it’s very last minute it won’t be) a correct one is appreciated, looks much nicer than me manually correcting it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JNC said:

I think if you keep an eye on the page capybara shared as well as on this forum you’ll be very up to date!

Pleased to see they will go back to sending emails out and updating the page. Why this means they will no longer bother with updating cast sheets is frustrating - they give with one hand and take away with the other...would it be possible to not do both? Like some others on here I like keeping cast sheets to refer back to so where possible (I know if it’s very last minute it won’t be) a correct one is appreciated, looks much nicer than me manually correcting it! 

I think the point is that cast changes won’t be flagged on the cast sheet (there used to be footnotes indicating a change from the originally advertised cast), not that the cast sheet will be inaccurate as to the cast performing.

• Like 2

More injury news.  Just received from the ROH:

"Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast change:

Saturday 26 October, 7.30pm
Due to injury William Bracewell is replaced by Alexander Campbell as Troyte"

I'm so sad for William Bracewell.   His previous injury had kept him off the stage for a number of months and I was looking forward to his return.

Edited by Bluebird

13 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I'm so sad for William Bracewell.   His previous injury had kept him off the stage for a number of months and I was looking forward to his return.

That's a real shame.

However, the packed house this morning for The Royal Ballet in Class on the main stage had the very great pleasure of watching William dancing, including some virtuoso moves towards the end of the session.

7 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

It's not on that new ROH casting page yet, see how long it takes, very good that they have restarted casting changes though.

After the events of last night, the RB might be waiting to put up other cast changes - alas for Steven McRae as well as William Bracewell.

And I've just had an e-mail to say that Yasmine Naghdi will be replaced as Dorabella in Enigma Variations on the 25th October and 2nd November by Meaghan Grace Hinkis.

Edited by capybara

......and another cast change just received:

Friday 25 October 2019, 7.30pm 
Saturday 2 November, 12 noon   

Yasmine Naghdi is replaced by Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Dorabella

Edited by Bluebird