Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm probably in a minority but I'm feeling a touch of Manon fatigue!

I'm a total Manon addict, I'm afraid.  Only the fact that I'm rather busy with other things during the upcoming run will keep my visits down to a reasonable 2 or 3.  (When ENB did it recently, I went to see it six times in five days...)

• Like 5

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm probably in a minority but I'm feeling a touch of Manon fatigue!

Fair enough! ☺️  I love it and as I’m only allowed to book accessible tickets to one performance per run, I rely on the live streams as a way to see more than one cast in the MacMillan “big three”.  I’d absolutely love to see Morera/Bonelli, Hayward/Campbell AND Cuthbertson/Ball but with no relay I’ll have to pick one and be satisfied.

• Like 1

This is going to be a tough season financially 😬! I love a lot of these casting decisions so everything is just so tempting. 

I’m not a big fan of Manon and I’ve seen it recently with ENB and in the RB’s last run also so I was going to rest it but I’ve become a real Hayward fan and I would like to see her in the role esp with Campbell (who I’m very pleased is actually getting cast in principal roles again, what a novelty). 

Then the problem with Sleeping Beauty is it’s one of my absolute favourites and my plan was to treat myself to one great (but pricey) seat but that plan might have gone out the window now as again I would love to see Hayward in this role. I have to see Osipova and Hallberg as I’m a huge fan of both and Hallberg is my absolute favourite Prince Florimund (in the past that is). Of course it won’t be the same post injury and I wasn’t able to get to his Romeo performances but I know there was mixed feelings on him...but I have to see him in SB for myself. And I also would love to see the O’Sullivan/Hay cast...O’Sullivans debut should be exciting and I have not seen Hay in this role and would really like to. Decisions decisions. 

The nightmare continues with Coppelia, so many good casts but the one I’m most excited for is Magri/Corrales. This feels like could be a very exciting partnership I think. Not sure about the Hayward/McRae pairing- I can’t imagine them together but should be interesting. 

• Like 2

Can't wait for the Magri/ Corrales Coppelia!! This could be a great match. But also O Sullivan and Sambe and Naghdi and Ball! 

Slightly disappointed not to see Corrales cast in Sleeping Beauty but am really delighted about Hay and partnered with O Sullivan ....so that will be a lovely evening too!! 

Now to look at the triple casting!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Fair enough! ☺️  I love it and as I’m only allowed to book accessible tickets to one performance per run, I rely on the live streams as a way to see more than one cast in the MacMillan “big three”.  I’d absolutely love to see Morera/Bonelli, Hayward/Campbell AND Cuthbertson/Ball but with no relay I’ll have to pick one and be satisfied.

Interested in your post, Anna C.  Do they really restrict the accessible seats?  And are there others that although not technically classified are in the more accessible range for you?

1 hour ago, JNC said:

In the case of Hallberg clearly he and Osipova enjoy dancing together and have a special partnership. I haven't seen him dance yet (though I am due to go tomorrow and look forward to it with interest based on what others have said). I think the fact that he is dancing in Manon and SB means I am favouring the argument that perhaps he is guesting 'too much' (in my opinion). I feel one key role (over a number of performances) a season is an excellent flavouring, but more than that feels like they are more than a 'guest'. Just my opinion however and others of course may disagree. It'll be interesting to see if he gets cast in anything in the following seasons - if not, my argument collapses but if so I wonder if he'll become a regular feature at Covent Garden? 

I think it feels like he’s been guesting a lot but he’s only actually done 2 Romeos so far as he had to pull out of Manon last time round and then of course did the first act of Giselle injured and had to be replaced. I think probably next season will decide on the future of him guesting as if it goes well I can imagine him being a permanent fixture and being her partner in the classics. But it really depends on what he’s like next season. 

I’m pretty on the fence about it. On the one hand I think he’s an incredible dancer, I’m excited on the opportunity to see him and I also feel like Osipova really struggles to get a partnership that works so if this works then it can only be a good thing. On the other hand if the standard of dancing is not what it should be post injury then maybe it’s best to not keep the invitations coming. Anyway just my two cents m, hope you enjoy the show 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I know some people think the discussion about Hallberg is off topic however I think it raises an interesting point re guest artists and 'how much' they should perform, and this is the casting thread after all! 

I think it's a fine balance between having a variety of guest artists who can bring that something unique (as every dancer is unique!) versus as others have mentioned the inevitable downside of this is that casting diversity/opportunities are limited in the 'home ranks' as there are only a certain number of performances available. 

In the case of Hallberg clearly he and Osipova enjoy dancing together and have a special partnership. I haven't seen him dance yet (though I am due to go tomorrow and look forward to it with interest based on what others have said). I think the fact that he is dancing in Manon and SB means I am favouring the argument that perhaps he is guesting 'too much' (in my opinion). I feel one key role (over a number of performances) a season is an excellent flavouring, but more than that feels like they are more than a 'guest'. Just my opinion however and others of course may disagree. It'll be interesting to see if he gets cast in anything in the following seasons - if not, my argument collapses but if so I wonder if he'll become a regular feature at Covent Garden? 

I think it is all about balance.  Osipova deserves to be indulged BUT based on the R & J reports, Hallberg did not bring anything special to that particular party.  However,  KOH was obviously struggling with injury problems and it was a great opportunity for us to see this much reported partnership.

I am, however, v. surprised about next season when one has to presume that injury problems will not yet have kicked in.  RB is overflowing with talent at the moment and I think the audience and also Osipova would be better served by being partnered by somebody from within the company.  I must emphasise again that I did not see Hallberg's R&J but, this forum apart, I have friends who reported back that it was not a performance they would enthuse about.  So, why is KOH asking him to guest so much?

I take the point about Osipova never having been especially paired with anyone since Golding left but that was hardly a partnership that caught fire.  I do not see why Muntagirov should be the preserve of Nunez.  I loved her with Matthew Ball so could that not be repeated and her Mayerling with Watson was unbelievably good with two dancers who literally and metaphorically threw themselves into the roles.  If he has returned, why could he not dance with her?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, serenade said:

I think probably next season will decide on the future of him guesting as if it goes well I can imagine him being a permanent fixture and being her partner in the classics. But it really depends on what he’s like next season. 

I’m pretty on the fence about it. On the one hand I think he’s an incredible dancer, I’m excited on the opportunity to see him and I also feel like Osipova really struggles to get a partnership that works so if this works then it can only be a good thing. On the other hand if the standard of dancing is not what it should be post injury then maybe it’s best to not keep the invitations coming. Anyway just my two cents m, hope you enjoy the show 😊

I think this is my point - if he becomes Osipova's primary (or only) partner I don't really think that's in the spirit of guesting. Obviously if dancers have a great partnership (think Fonteyn Nureyev as the most famous example) that should be nurtured but at the same time surely Osipova can/should find a good partnership amongst all the RB's amazing male dancers? I think I'm happy to see him a few times a year as clearly they like working together but wouldn't want him to necessarily come back every season and have Osipova only partner him. Unless of course he does become an RB principal (not suggesting this is likely), but then that comes back to the point that he wouldn't only be expected to partner with Osipova! 

Also agree that if the standard of dancing isn't up to what we expect from RB and a dancer of this level generally (I think it's perhaps a bit unfair to compare him to what he was pre-injury) then yes, he probably shouldn't be guesting (or perhaps a very rare guest one or two performances every six months or so with Osipova if that's what they both want and they sell well?). 

Anyway I'm excited to see them tomorrow and whilst I except a very difference performance to the one I saw with Hayward/Corrales I hope it is just as good but in a different way! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, balletyas said:

I’m sorry I keep trying to reply to you but getting stucksomehow. I just don’t know - I’ve seen him coaching others and he looks perfectly fit and judging by his social media he seems thrilled to be dancing next week but I agree with uou the silence on here is pretty deafening! Maybe they aren’t willing to risk anything major on him and he’ll jyst appear in the McGregor next year as it can be perhaps more tailored to his strengths...who knows but gosh I couldn’t bear for him not to get a 5* send off! 

Thanks for that.  I have tweeted him.  Nothing.  Tweeted ROH.  Nothing. And nobody on here says anything.  What is the elephant in the room and is this truly great dancer just going to fade away?

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Just to be absolutely clear on this are the first two dancers shown for Concerto the two from the slower second movement? 

The beautiful Concerto - 2nd Movement - will be danced by:

Cuthbertson/Clarke

Naghdi/Hirano 

Hamilton/Bjornebrod Braendsrod

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I think it is all about balance.  Osipova deserves to be indulged BUT based on the R & J reports, Hallberg did not bring anything special to that particular party.  However,  KOH was obviously struggling with injury problems and it was a great opportunity for us to see this much reported partnership.

I am, however, v. surprised about next season when one has to presume that injury problems will not yet have kicked in.  RB is overflowing with talent at the moment and I think the audience and also Osipova would be better served by being partnered by somebody from within the company.  I must emphasise again that I did not see Hallberg's R&J but, this forum apart, I have friends who reported back that it was not a performance they would enthuse about.  So, why is KOH asking him to guest so much?

I take the point about Osipova never having been especially paired with anyone since Golding left but that was hardly a partnership that caught fire.  I do not see why Muntagirov should be the preserve of Nunez.  I loved her with Matthew Ball so could that not be repeated and her Mayerling with Watson was unbelievably good with two dancers who literally and metaphorically threw themselves into the roles.  If he has returned, why could he not dance with her?

Penelope - I think I was typing my comment before I saw yours! As you can see I echo most of what you've said in my comments and agree that whilst it's nice to have some clear partnerships (e.g. Nunez/Muntagirov, Naghdi/Ball) I also think it's good to mix things up a bit - and this as I've already said should apply to Osipova as well! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Interested in your post, Anna C.  Do they really restrict the accessible seats?  And are there others that although not technically classified are in the more accessible range for you?

None of the seats (except wheelchair spaces) are classified as accessible, Penelope - as an Access Member in receipt of disability benefits you get a slight discount on your ticket (along with a free carer/companion ticket in some cases), then you can either choose your own seats or the Access Team can suggest seats for you.  I’ve been going long enough that I know which seats will be suitable for my particular disability so I try to choose my own.  For instance, I know I can’t manage anywhere in the Amphi, any standing place, any tall loose seat and so on.  That limits where I can sit (and means that the most comfortable seats for me are usually £££).

Access Members can only use our discount (and bring a free carer) for one ballet and one opera per run - that’s the restriction.  I can’t afford to pay for two full price Stalls Circle seats for my long-suffering ballet-fatigued husband to bring me to see more than one cast so I rely on the live streams so that I get to see my favourite ballets more than once.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

The beautiful Concerto - 2nd Movement - will be danced by:

Cuthbertson/Clarke

Naghdi/Hirano 

Hamilton/Bjornebrod Braendsrod

I try to steer clear of posting negatively about dancers, but the times I've seen Braendsrod in featured roles (most recently as the Gypsy Lover in Two Pigeons and as one half of the White couple in Les Patineurs) I've been less than impressed. Can somebody please sell him to me? :)

13 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I try to steer clear of posting negatively about dancers, but the times I've seen Braendsrod in featured roles (most recently as the Gypsy Lover in Two Pigeons and as one half of the White couple in Les Patineurs) I've been less than impressed. Can somebody please sell him to me? :)

He was jolly good as Polixenes in The Winter's Tale. I was surprised at how strongly and maturely such a young a dancer projected and he held up really well opposite Bonelli....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JNC said:

I think this is my point - if he becomes Osipova's primary (or only) partner I don't really think that's in the spirit of guesting. Obviously if dancers have a great partnership (think Fonteyn Nureyev as the most famous example) that should be nurtured but at the same time surely Osipova can/should find a good partnership amongst all the RB's amazing male dancers? 

True not in the spirit of guesting but I guess there are no hard and fast rules so it depends what they feel works best overall. 

just my opinion of course but I don’t feel like she’s really caught fire with anyone in the company so far (albeit I missed her with Watson sadly, that would have been interesting). But then others think she works well with Ball, Muntagirov so it’s all very subjective.  

Thanks Xandra so the casts are in straightforward Movement order.

I would have thought though that Hayward would be absolutely perfect in that second movement so am surprised she is not cast for that in a way. 

In fact on having a second look I think ALL the first two dancers shown would be perfect and especially suited in that second movement!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Oh goodness, this is going to be expensive. I want to see 4, possibly 5, of the Manon casts (is Nunez considered to be more suited to Manon than Juliet?), although I'm disappointed to see Hamilton isn't cast as after loving her Juliet I was hoping she would be. Thank heavens the Manon prices are reasonable, at least compared to the other 3-acters.

Having finally got round to checking the breakdown of the Sleeping Beauty prices - and having retrieved my jaw! - I think I'll have to limit myself to one visit, assuming I can get an affordable ticket at all given my first choice cast is Hayward/Campbell & I'm away for 2 of their 3 performances.

Several appealing casts in Coppelia, especially Magri/Corrales & Morera/Campbell (have they danced together much before?).

So many triple bill cast combinations I can't deal with them on my phone. I think it might take a spreadsheet to work out the most appealing possible combinations!

Apropos guest casting, if they're going to do it then I think I'd prefer they had a variety of dancers rather than one dancer 3 times in 6 months. Hallberg's dancing as many lead roles as some of the RB male principals & first soloists are in the same period, which doesn't seem quite right.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks Xandra so the casts are in straightforward Movement order.

Logic is not the guiding principle of the website at present, so isn't the above rather an assumption at this stage? Unless there is some other clear source of information....

Edited by Richard LH

I think Ball and Muntagirov and even McRae have great chemistry with Osipova. The only issue is that all three are on the reserve for Naghdi, Nunez, and Takada respectively. So the issue is availability.

And quite personally, I have never understood the McRae/Takada pairing.  

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Thanks for that.  I have tweeted him.  Nothing.  Tweeted ROH.  Nothing. And nobody on here says anything.  What is the elephant in the room and is this truly great dancer just going to fade away?

54 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I don’t know but I can’t believe it. I guess it all depends on when KOH decides on the rep for the season. The decisions for this season pretty much exclude Ed assuming they’ve decided DG is too much for him. I would have thought they’d schedule a one act that he loves for his farewell but perhaps they are just saving him up for something  later in the year. I do find it odd that we are the only people lamenting his absence from the schedules and of course he is by far the best partner for Osipova (Mayerling/woolfworks/carbon life etc). Given that he seems to be coaching quite a bit and quite publicly, it may be that he just wants a quiet and maybe only partial transition in the immediate future...who knows...at least I pray we’ve got Firebird... 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Do I take it from the Manon casting list that say on the Saturday October 19th Hayward and Campbell are in the main role and Corrales will be playing Lescaut?

Yes, following the details for the first night.

Thanks ....that looks like the Manon for me then as will only go once and haven't seen Hayward in this role yet.

On second thoughts could be tempted by the prospect of Bolle in the main role! In fact that whole cast looks really good. I can usually only take Manon once in a run!! It's so draining! But maybe will have to do some judicial spacing and see both these casts! 

Edited by LinMM

1 minute ago, balletyas said:

I don’t know but I can’t believe it. I guess it all depends on when KOH decides on the rep for the season. The decisions for this season pretty much exclude Ed assuming they’ve decided DG is too much for him. I would have thought they’d schedule a one act that he loves for his farewell but perhaps they are just saving him up for something  later in the year. I do find it odd that we are the only people lamenting his absence from the schedules and of course he is by far the best partner for Osipova (Mayerling/woolfworks/carbon life etc). Given that he seems to be coaching quite a bit and quite publicly, it may be that he just wants a quiet and maybe only partial transition in the immediate future...who knows...at least I pray we’ve got Firebird... 

I just don't see why they cant be honest about things.  I and many others have followed him for years and I think we deserve some communication. 

Also, you are right about the lack of comment on this forum. Criticise Hallberg for a less than stellar performance and the wrath of god descends on your head.  Muntagirov has been granted sainthood and as for Marianela..... Yet Ed who has given so many years of fantastic development in his many roles, is almost ignored.  Maybe people are 'in the know' or maybe he just wasn't that popular.  Weird. 

I always think that Macrae doesn't get the plaudits he deserves either.  He is a very different dancer to Watson and therefore not as high up my list, but he is still absolutely fantastic but has never attracted the adulation that Muntagirov gets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Logic is not the guiding principle of the website at present, so isn't the above rather an assumption at this stage? Unless there is some other clear source of information....

It's very logical Richard looking at the casting and seniority.

It's obvious Cuthbertson, Naghdi, Lamb and Hamilton will dance the 2nd Movement, it is not an assumption :) 

7 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

I think Ball and Muntagirov and even McRae have great chemistry with Osipova. The only issue is that all three are on the reserve for Naghdi, Nunez, and Takada respectively. So the issue is availability.

Yes actually I forgot about McRae- really liked them together in La Fille but good point re availability