Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

Just seen today on ROH website that Federico Bonelli will partner Akane Takade on 6th March replacing Steven McRae.  No changes shown yet to other dates. 

The email I had this afternoon said it was for all three dates. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

Just seen today on ROH website that Federico Bonelli will partner Akane Takade on 6th March replacing Steven McRae.  No changes shown yet to other dates. 

I doubt anybody will be surprised that much as I admire Bonelli, and I thought him looking wonderfully re-junvenated with Kaneko on the Beauty broadcast, I had hoped that after his superb Des Grieux this might have been a window of opportunity for Alexander Campbell ...

• Like 6

On 13/02/2020 at 21:01, capybara said:

I think that it's possible to guess at who will dance with Takada because some men appear to be fully occupied at that time and others have their shows later in the run than Takada.

Bonelli makes perfect sense in this scheduling context, as well as being excellent as one of Takada's partners in the last run.

• Like 2

Just in 

Our records show that you are due to attend the performance of Dances at a Gathering / The Cellist on 28 February 2020. 

We are writing to make you aware that Cesar Corrales will not perform as scheduled in The Cellist on Friday 28 February. Cesar has recently travelled to Italy and, on the advice taken from The Royal Ballet's in-house medical team, he will rest as a precautionary measure following his trip. We would like to stress he is well and healthy, and we have followed recommended guidelines for those returning from Italy. 

He is replaced by Matthew Ball as the Conductor.

The Royal Ballet School was onto the regulations earlier in he week, which gave cause for questions as to what the RB was doing, if anything - given that Francesca was on stage on Tuesday.

So disappointing for Cesar and everyone else affected - and us, the audience, of course.

• Like 3

Does this apply to the whole of next week? 

Was really hoping to see Caesar on Wednesday 4th March. 

Will be very disappointing if he has to miss this after rehearsing all this time. 

Is there in fact any likelihood that the RB dancers have actually come into contact with anybody who has the Coronavirus? 

I know it has spread a bit in Italy but I thought contained in certain areas. You cannot catch this virus unless you have spent some time with somebody who has it. I don't think you can catch it from just passing somebody in the street but don't know how much time is key to picking it up eg an hour /two hours/ and evening/ a day? 

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I wonder if that will carry over into next week, in which case Francesca Hayward should also rest, as well as Vadim Muntagirov who has just been in Japan..and I am sure the list could go on. 

I was wondering about Muntagirov/Japan. I do hope he doesn't have to pull out of Swan Lake next week!

• Like 4

All we know is that there are a very high number of cases in northern Italy and  Francesca Hayward posted on her social media that she was in Milan for the weekend, and so seems to have been Corrales. As she danced DAAG last night she clearly has been inside the ROH since coming back from Milan thus mingled with the other dancers.

I just hope all will be ok. Just imagine the potential of the virus spreading amongst the dancers.

LinMM: anyone coming back from Government listed countries (northern Italy and many Asian countries)  has to self isolate for a minimum of 2 weeks according to NHS and Government guidelines.

Current government advice re Japan is only to isolate if symptoms shown within two weeks.

However in lockdown areas in northern Italy (and I believe Milan is one?) it states self-isolation even if no symptoms, so I imagine that is why Cesar Corrales (and probably Francesca Hayward) are being singled out particularly. Although given that she danced a couple of nights ago, it is rather shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balletfanp said:

Current government advice re Japan is only to isolate if symptoms shown within two weeks.

However in lockdown areas in northern Italy (and I believe Milan is one?) it states self-isolation even if no symptoms, so I imagine that is why Cesar Corrales (and probably Francesca Hayward) are being singled out particularly. Although given that she danced a couple of nights ago, it is rather shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!

There's a list of small towns where self-isolation applies - Milan isn't among them. If someone has been in northern Italy AND is showing symptoms, that's a different story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I was wondering about Muntagirov/Japan. I do hope he doesn't have to pull out of Swan Lake next week!

It was apparent from social media that The New National Theatre in Tokyo did not allow people to wait at the stage door after Vadim's performances. He himself posted apologies for that over a photo showing a sizeable pile of presents handed in for him.

People in Japan at the time have reported that, on the second night, he and his Manon took 17 curtain calls - apparently a record!

• Like 6

On 20/02/2020 at 16:50, FionaE said:

I haven't had an email about the change at all, but it is now confirmed on the website for all three dates.

General Rehearsal tomorrow... I wonder who will  be dancing? 🦢💔

Does anyone know if it is usual for dancers to rehearse together if they're not scheduled to perform together? Yesterday the ROH posted a picture on Instagram of Ball & Osipova rehearsing Swan Lake. Since they're not currently scheduled to dance together I'm wondering if they were just practising because their scheduled parters were unavailable or if there's an unannounced cast change going to happen.

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone know if it is usual for dancers to rehearse together if they're not scheduled to perform together? Yesterday the ROH posted a picture on Instagram of Ball & Osipova rehearsing Swan Lake. Since they're not currently scheduled to dance together I'm wondering if they were just practising because their scheduled parters were unavailable or if there's an unannounced cast change going to happen.

This is probably going to make me sound like too much of a Royal Ballet 'fan' but I recognised the picture - it's from 2017 (it's in the programme for that run when they did actually dance together). 

I'm not sure if this answers your question but I know there have been rehearsal pictures for the recent Dances at a Gathering of the two casts dancing together/mixed classes. That's slightly different to Swan Lake though where there is an obvious partnership, so whilst dancers may rehearse certain steps together (e.g. perhaps a few Odettes will rehearse together?) I think it's unlikely that pdds will be rehearsed with someone they won't be dancing with...could be wrong though! 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, JNC said:

This is probably going to make me sound like too much of a Royal Ballet 'fan' but I recognised the picture - it's from 2017 (it's in the programme for that run when they did actually dance together). 

I'm not sure if this answers your question but I know there have been rehearsal pictures for the recent Dances at a Gathering of the two casts dancing together/mixed classes. That's slightly different to Swan Lake though where there is an obvious partnership, so whilst dancers may rehearse certain steps together (e.g. perhaps a few Odettes will rehearse together?) I think it's unlikely that pdds will be rehearsed with someone they won't be dancing with...could be wrong though! 

Thanks for the info. I wasn't following the RB closely back in 2017 so didn't realise it was an old picture, as the way I read the caption I thought it implied that it was rehearsals for the current production.

Isn't she supposed to be dancing with Hallberg in this?  Given the news from about 24 hours ago, it's possible he might have been otherwise/elsewhere occupied, anyway.  And yes, dancers do occasionally rehearse with other partners than their scheduled ones if the scheduled partner happens to be unavailable for some reason, or if there are a couple of dancers who perhaps need additional coaching, e.g. if they're making debuts.  We've seen mix-and-match partnerships on things such as insights before now, and it has in some instances led to unnecessary concerns as to whether cast changes are about to be announced.

• Like 1

Email just received from ROH:

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Swan Lake on Wednesday 11 March 2020 at 7.30pm

We are contacting you to let you know that Principal Guest Artist David Hallberg is replaced by Reece Clarke as Prince Siegfried. This is due to commitments related to his recent appointment as Artistic Director of The Australian Ballet. 

• Like 3

Pleased Reece gets a chance at the role (though a bit of a shame it’s not with Fumi Kaneko). 

I suppose while I’m one who gets frustrated with cast changes each change is an opportunity for someone else! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Candleque said:

Yes. She was quoted somewhere (I forget where) as saying this role is her last remaining major classical challenge 

It was an interview in The Stage. Does she therefore not have her sights on La bayadère or Don Quixote?

• Like 2