Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I totally agree with the above. There's also the whole flirts with friend's fiance & provokes friend to challenge him to a duel issue

“Poor me, I’m so bored with these dreadful country peasants gossiping about me, so let’s just stir stuff up so I can have a bit of fun, even though I know that if i took a moment to consider the feelings of others, I’d realise how much it would upset my best friend”.

All part of the spoiled, whiny, stuck-up, entitled attitude I referred to above!

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 3

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be rather nice, wouldn't it, if there could be a box set celebrating the art of Lauren Cuthbertson, as they have done for Marianela Nunez. If that goal underlies the coming season's cinema casting, I think that it's understandable.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

(I guess what I'm saying is not to write off Muntagirov in the role, as of all the Onegins cast this time he seems most likely to bring that angle to the character.)

Oh, I'm not doing that. I intend to see him, assuming I can get a ticket.

On 29/07/2019 at 15:34, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @JNC & @LinMM

I can see most of the casting for the new Marston/Scarlett by going in to each performance individually via the calendar but it's not currently showing up going in to each performance from the overall production page. Goodness only knows why this is the case! At present there is no second cast up for the Scarlett, hence the blanks below. (Pure speculation but I wonder if maybe Campbell might do the McRae role in the second cast? Given he's currently looking chronically underemployed. Again!)

Marston Scarlett.jpg

So which of the men is Elgar and which is Barenboim? Any guesses?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, capybara said:

Interestingly, Lauren made a number of guest appearances abroad in Swan Lake during the 2019/20 season so she is actually quite experienced in the roles of Odette/Odile, if not in the new RB version.

Yes, I saw her with Muntagirov in Swan Lake in Vienna last Christmas. From the dramatic perspective my personal opinion is that she’s much better in the role of Odette than Nuñez (who’s been casted more than once in live cinema). Speaking of Beauty, although Cuthbertson was casted in live cinema broadcast ten years ago that version was never commercially released if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

It would be rather nice, wouldn't it, if there could be a box set celebrating the art of Lauren Cuthbertson, as they have done for Marianela Nunez. If that goal underlies the coming season's cinema casting, I think that it's understandable.

Apparently there is supposed to be one commissioned for Osipova this upcoming Fall by Opus Arte, although I'm not sure if it will include both of her Bolshoi and Royal Ballet performances or just the latter. 

Edited by HappyTurk

5 hours ago, yvonnep said:

Yes, I saw her with Muntagirov in Swan Lake in Vienna last Christmas. From the dramatic perspective my personal opinion is that she’s much better in the role of Odette than Nuñez (who’s been casted more than once in live cinema).

Was this a deliberate choice of words, yvonnep - much better in the role of Odette specifically, or as both halves of the dual Odette/Odile role?

Interesting article in the Friends magazine about the role of Onegin as played by both Soares and Bonelli. Their different approaches to the role go a long way to explain how interpretations of the role can differ and may also point to how Muntagirov may interpret it. Could be interesting to see.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, RuthE said:

Was this a deliberate choice of words, yvonnep - much better in the role of Odette specifically, or as both halves of the dual Odette/Odile role?

It was a deliberate choice because their interpretations of Odile are just different. I wouldn’t say either of them is a lot better than the other. Cuthbertson is more luring and subtle, while Nuñez is more aggressive and straightforward.

• Like 1

When I first saw the Onegin castings I just saw Osipova/Muntagirov/Hayward/Ball and then Naghdi/Bonelli/Hayward/Sissens and I thought WOW what fabulous casting (especially seeing Joseph Sissens in a really great role; it was terrible he wasn't made soloist). Then I looked a bit further and also the Swan lake casts and thought 'Where is Campbell'? Why isn't he being given a leading role in at least one of the major winter ballets? Ball would be good as Onegin too though I understand there are so many great RB dancers it is difficult to give everyone the roles and chances they deserve. Also Sambe doesn't feature too much or Bracewell or Reece Clark or James Hay. Pity Hayward isn't being given a chance of Tatiana. When The RB first acquired Onegin Alina danced both Olga and Tatiana. It would be good if that flexibility could be applied to some of the Winter casts and even the autumn ones. I would love to see Vadim in Enigma variations; possibly more than Raymonda. I do think he will be terrific in Onegin; can't wait.

• Like 5

Some advice wanted from knowledgeable balletco people!

Re Swan Lake casting, I have already seen Osipova/Ball so won’t go to see Osipova again (was disappointed she didn’t do the 32 fouettes). 

I am also going to book to see Nuñez/Muntagirov and Hayward/Corrales. Due to personal preference. 

I can probably stretch to one more performance and am torn between Naghdi and Cuthbertson. 

I think Naghdi is a fantastic dancer but I’ve not seen her in a full length yet (I’ll be going to her Sleeping Beauty but I’ll have to book Swan Lake before this). Also I have seen Ball, her partner, who she is also partnering in SB, in this role before and she is likely to do it again in future.

I’m not booking to see Cuthbertson in Autumn, she seems good for the role and she is paired with Bracewell who gets rave reviews on here! And not that anything is certain but she is least likely to dance the role again in terms of age opposed to Naghdi. 

I started favouring Naghdi but am now leaning towards Cuthbertson but can someone provide their thoughts? I appreciate it’s all subjective opinion but I find all the opinions on here fascinating so sure someone will make me more informed to decide! 

17 minutes ago, JNC said:

I started favouring Naghdi but am now leaning towards Cuthbertson but can someone provide their thoughts? I appreciate it’s all subjective opinion but I find all the opinions on here fascinating so sure someone will make me more informed to decide! 

Don't forget that Cuthbertson has the cinema relay so you could really catch both.

I think that there has been general consent that William Bracewell was a fantastic Siegfried last year but he will look just as good in the cinema as in the flesh.

• Like 3

Just now, capybara said:

Don't forget that Cuthbertson has the cinema relay so you could really catch both.

I think that there has been general consent that William Bracewell was a fantastic Siegfried last year but he will look just as good in the cinema as in the flesh.

Unfortunately I can’t make the cinema relay as I’m not in the country! But this is a good suggestion and I’m planning to catch some Autumn cinema relays for this reason! 

Just curious, when was the last time that a first soloist danced the lead role in one of the major classics? Interesting that it was given to Bracewell over a principal. In fact, is there a reason Hirano is rarely given the lead role in the major classics for the cinema relays? 

On 30/07/2019 at 22:19, bridiem said:

I've only now been able to look properly at the casting (many thanks for your wonderful spreadsheet lists, Dawnstar!).

I'm very glad that Magri and Sambé are doing Swan Lake (even if only one performance). But apart from that, and in spite of all the riches on offer, I'm afraid that my initial reaction is one of extreme disappointment because two of my personal favourites, Alexander Campbell and Claire Calvert, are nowhere to be seen. I mean literally nowhere. (Unless either of them eventually pops up in the Scarlett second cast). So I'm basically in a bit of a strop at the moment.

You'll understand how I feel about the disappearance of Edward Watson.  Not even a whimper but he seems to have gone

• Like 1

23 hours ago, capybara said:

It would be rather nice, wouldn't it, if there could be a box set celebrating the art of Lauren Cuthbertson, as they have done for Marianela Nunez.

While they're at it, there would be scope for one for Ed Watson, and Federico Bonelli, and ...  I mean, it's not as if Opus Arte doesn't seem to grab every opportunity to offer us redundant combinations of DVDs we may already have :) 

3 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

Just curious, when was the last time that a first soloist danced the lead role in one of the major classics? Interesting that it was given to Bracewell over a principal. In fact, is there a reason Hirano is rarely given the lead role in the major classics for the cinema relays? 

You mean in the cinema?  I had a feeling there was someone fairly recently.  As for Hirano, I thought he'd had a few cinema relays by now?  Don't forget he'd be competing with the likes of Muntagirov and Bonelli for the classics ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JNC said:

Some advice wanted from knowledgeable balletco people!

Re Swan Lake casting, I have already seen Osipova/Ball so won’t go to see Osipova again (was disappointed she didn’t do the 32 fouettes). 

I am also going to book to see Nuñez/Muntagirov and Hayward/Corrales. Due to personal preference. 

I can probably stretch to one more performance and am torn between Naghdi and Cuthbertson. 

I think Naghdi is a fantastic dancer but I’ve not seen her in a full length yet (I’ll be going to her Sleeping Beauty but I’ll have to book Swan Lake before this). Also I have seen Ball, her partner, who she is also partnering in SB, in this role before and she is likely to do it again in future.

I’m not booking to see Cuthbertson in Autumn, she seems good for the role and she is paired with Bracewell who gets rave reviews on here! And not that anything is certain but she is least likely to dance the role again in terms of age opposed to Naghdi. 

Just a personal perspective, no particular knowlege, JNC, but I find Naghdi and Cuthbertson very different.  Cuthbertson edges it for me because of her emotional connection which I find stronger than Naghdi's - but many would disagree.  Cuthbertson has a lyrical floating quality which I love but you won't go wrong with either.  Naghdi is hard to beat technically and the audience feels very secure in her hands.  All depends what floats your boat.  I'm a Watson/Hayward/Cojocaru sort of girl so Cuthbertson will be my choice. 

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

Yes Happy Turk there is  😊

Regarding Hirano, I should have clarified (ha!), what I meant was like in Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle....things of that nature. I've always thought he had a nice regal presence on stage. Oh well...seems I'll just have to accept that Muntagirov will likely keep dominating the screenings. Would love more diversity on the male part (although perhaps KOH feels that there aren't that many options as I suggested earlier?) Oh well...won't continue to harp on it further. 

Edited by HappyTurk

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

In Japan, we just had the broadcast of Frankenstein (Hirano/Lamb/Dyer) and Romeo and Juliet (Takada/Hirano) but I am afraid this was only limited for broadcast here. 

Pretty miffed that we haven't seen those recordings here !  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

In fact, is there a reason Hirano is rarely given the lead role in the major classics for the cinema relays? 

Actually not yet in a major classic as such, although he was Leontes in the cinema relay of The Winter's Tale in Feb 2018. Of course he was not made a Principal until 2016. 

Certainly in the last 8 years or so Bonelli, McRae and Muntagirov have dominated the live relays, leaving fairly slim pickings for anyone else.

The same applies to  Cuthbertson, Lamb, Nunez and  Osipova with the ladies. 

8 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Just a personal perspective, no particular knowlege, JNC, but I find Naghdi and Cuthbertson very different.  Cuthbertson edges it for me because of her emotional connection which I find stronger than Naghdi's - but many would disagree.  Cuthbertson has a lyrical floating quality which I love but you won't go wrong with either.  Naghdi is hard to beat technically and the audience feels very secure in her hands.  All depends what floats your boat.  I'm a Watson/Hayward/Cojocaru sort of girl so Cuthbertson will be my choice. 

Thanks Penelope, I am also a fan of Hayward/Cojocaru (haven’t seen enough of Watson sadly!) so I think I’ll go for Cuthbertson then. (And maybe try and get some cheaper last minute returns for Naghdi closer to the time!)

12 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

In fact, is there a reason Hirano is rarely given the lead role in the major classics for the cinema relays? 

Well, although Ryoichi Hirano has many excellent qualities (a fine and strong partner, stage presence, handsome (just my opinion!), & - as any dancer of his rank in a company such as the Royal Ballet - can ‘do the steps’) he is certainly not as complete a classical dancer as Vadim Muntagirov (few are!) or, in his prime, Federico Bonelli. Likewise, he doesn’t have the ‘fizz-bang’ technical ease that Steven McRae has (had?). William Bracewell, on the other hand, is young, a good partner, has had excellent stage experience from BRB, proved himself in the previous run and seems to have a very good classical

line and technique. I wonder if he (Bracewell) will do the ‘double-double’ tours en l’air in Act 3 Muntagirov did. Does anyone remember if *any* other dancer did them last time??

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 4

I admire various qualities in Hirano but, for me (based on his Solor last autumn), he may already be past his best in classical ballets. The RB is being shown to the world in the cinema relays and I think that Kevin O'Hare is (now!) doing a good job of displaying the best talent while also sharing out the opportunities among his dancers.

No, noone else executed the double-doubles in Swan Lake Act 3 last year. Indeed, not all Siegfrieds managed to land their single doubles every time. It just goes to show how very hard ballet is and how high our expectations have become.

• Like 4

On 31/07/2019 at 21:54, HappyTurk said:

Regarding Hirano, I should have clarified (ha!), what I meant was like in Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle....things of that nature. I've always thought he had a nice regal presence on stage. Oh well...seems I'll just have to accept that Muntagirov will likely keep dominating the screenings. Would love more diversity on the male part (although perhaps KOH feels that there aren't that many options as I suggested earlier?) Oh well...won't continue to harp on it further. 

I lied! I'll say one last thing....if he is never going to be shown in the cinema showings as the male lead in the classics, why did KOH ever promote him in the first place given his age? Seems odd. I honestly don't know how some of these dancers stay motivated in the face of what looks like "favoritsm" (same goes for those who are hardly featured this season, particularly the two dancers that have already been mentioned by others). Good thing I'm not a dancer! Lol 

Edited by HappyTurk

9 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

I lied! I'll say one last thing....if he is never going to be shown in the cinema showings as the male lead in the classics, why did KOH ever promote him in the first place given his age? Seems odd. I honestly don't know how some of these dancers stay motivated in the face of what looks like "favoritsm" (same goes for those who are hardly featured this season, particularly the two dancers that have already been mentioned by others). Good thing I'm not a dancer! Lol 

Most sadly life is not always fair.  Fate certainly isn't.  As far as I'm aware it never has been.  I'm told that is why some find life's gambol (pun intended) exciting.

There have been I think a goodly number of such comments as above on this board throughout its time and certainly during the far longer period of its much valued predecessor.  Time waits for no man (sorry, person).  Recently I was saddened to learn of the Wagman's ENB departure but I did understand.  He needs to stick up for himself and his career.  It's true of ALL artists.  The only person - in the end - they can blame for an overall imbalance is their own person.  Ultimately they must watch out for themselves and their artistry.  The clock is always ticking ... and they must determine where and for how long they are satisfied.  Ultimately they are the only ones who can know and realise the potential within.  It is a matter they have (and certainly should) determine for themselves.  In this regard I think of Jose Manuel Carreno who was with BOTH ENB/(LFB) and the RB.  The artistic administrations of neither at the time seemed to know what to do with him.  He left both - quite rightly - and went to ABT.  The rest was history - third time lucky I suppose - (or - in his case - fourth after the initial National Ballet of Cuba).  Some of his performances with Annanashvili are amongst my most cherished memories in the classical repertory.  We have to cherish the artists while they are here certainly ... and then a goodly number of us - having had that sampling - will simply have to cherish them elsewhere.  That is for us to determine.  'Tis the history - and some I understand believe the making - of the balletic world.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3