Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

I wonder if this has been decided for some time or if the original casting was a mistake? Considering Sambe was rehearsing with Cuthbertson/Ball in the World Ballet Day rehearsal, it seems like he was always initially perhaps meant to be in this first cast? I wonder if Richardson did any rehearsals with Cuthbertson/Ball at all or if it has been Sambe from the beginning? 

Also (not that I'm a fan of 'hierarchy' and these things) but I did think it was perhaps irregular for Richardson (Soloist) to have a new ballet created for him and to do the opening night honours with two principals. I don't/didn't have a problem with it and thought it was a great opportunity for him, presumably Marston picked him out, etc., but did think it seemed out of the norm. I hope he's not been swapped for this sort of bizarre reason and hope it was either a casting mix up or the dancers organically decided a different fit worked better, with Sambe already building that creative relationship/partnership with Cuthbertson and Ball. 

I do think it's a bit of a shame, I think Stix-Brunnell, Sambe, and Corrales seemed like a really interesting mix actually and think they complement each other well. All three share a vivacity and energy and character on stage! Similarly I think Cuthbertson/Ball/Richardson would have worked well (they are all quite tall and again I see them having similar dancing styles, elegant, lyrical and emotive). 

Also, when are they going to release casting for Dances at a Gathering? We're less than 3 months away now, this seems highly unusual and late for Royal Ballet standards - surely rehearsals must be starting now? 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day at NYCB - certainly while Balanchine was alive - the casting would go up on a weekly basis in framed boxes either side of the main entrance of what was then called 'NY State Theater'.  How I remember eagerly dashing on the subway and climbing those stairs to see what riches were potentially on offer.  I'd then bound across the marble to the box office and buy my Fourth Ring standing room for copious performances.  

In the case of Robbins - most especially for new works - the casting would often be announced on the day - and frequently written in by hand.  In fact I once remember seeing Robbins standing there just before the half hour while the box was opened - and making a change to casting in his own hand while the rest of us crowded about.  Robbins was known to rehearse a number of principal casts and then choose individuals from that mix at seemingly the last point in time where it was possible to do so.  It must be said he gave many young dancers their first prominent opportunities (Chris Wheeldon was certainly one dancer where this was the case in the late stages of the Choreographer's career) and re-invigorated others who had - even momentarily - appeared to be somewhat lost in their rank.  There were also occasions - such as Wendy Whelan in The Cage - where one dancer would make a considerable success in a Robbins' role and then seem to more or less own it forever more whilst they were about.  (That certainly would have been very 'un-Balanchine' at that point given that you'd see a revolving door of potential glory in his ballets which would, the new ballets that is, just keep coming more regularly than the buses on Broadway - or at least such seemed to be the case with the one I took to go home - the M17 - where you'd often see the likes of MacMillan or Tallchief standing amongst the crowded mix.)  It would not then have been strange to get casting to DAAG very late in the day  ... as this was one instance - like, say, Goldberg Variations or Four Seasons - where Robbins would ensure that many young dancers would be given notable chances.

I am more than happy to wait til the day for the RB's current DAAG celebration.  The Company is so rich in the depth of its ranks I hope than many are presented with this glorious opportunity.  It will be I know to the benefit of us all.  For this reason I have booked to see them every performance.  Such a gift. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

Thanks @Bruce Wall for your insight. 

Unfortunately I neither have the time/availability nor finance to see every performance (hence why casting would be appreciated).

I do however agree the RB is in a very strong position so I have high expectations every cast will be very good. And if this is the way the performance has been historically done I suppose it does add an element of authenticity/tradition and excitement/surprise. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Opening Night cast "Dances at a Gathering" has been announced.

Marianela Nuñez

Yasmine Naghdi

Fumi Kaneko

Francesca Hayward

Laura Morera

Alexander Campbell

William Bracewell

Federico Bonelli

Valentino Zucchetti

Luca Acri

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Marianela Nuñez

Yasmine Naghdi

Fumi Kaneko

Francesca Hayward

Laura Morera

Alexander Campbell

William Bracewell

Federico Bonelli

Valentino Zucchetti

Luca Acri

Wow!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Marianela Nuñez

Yasmine Naghdi

Fumi Kaneko

Francesca Hayward

Laura Morera

Alexander Campbell

William Bracewell

Federico Bonelli

Valentino Zucchetti

Luca Acri

As has second cast

Dancer: Sarah Lamb

Dancer: Mayara Magri

Dancer: Meaghan Grace Hinkis

Dancer: Anna Rose O'Sullivan

Dancer: Tierney Heap

Dancer: Marcelino Sambé

Dancer: Nicol Edmonds

Dancer: Reece Clarke

Dancer: Benjamin Ella

Dancer: James Hay

• Like 4

Now look what you've made me do, Pulcinella. :o I was already seeing the first cast of Dances at a Gathering (at the live screening in Brixton), but I hadn't booked another performance of the bill... except that having seen the second cast, I now have. Tut tut. :)

2 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

As has second cast

Dancer: Sarah Lamb

Dancer: Mayara Magri

Dancer: Meaghan Grace Hinkis

Dancer: Anna Rose O'Sullivan

Dancer: Tierney Heap

Dancer: Marcelino Sambé

Dancer: Nicol Edmonds

Dancer: Reece Clarke

Dancer: Benjamin Ella

Dancer: James Hay

Figures :(  3 dancers I really wanted to see in it, and none of them dancing.

So, you might guess in the first cast we'll see Morera in Green, and - I hope - Bonelii in Brown, Campbell in Green, Bracewell in Purple .  I can't remember how they sorted the women's roles last time between Mauve and Pink and Apricot.

I couldn't work out who would be who amongst the men in the second cast - Sambe in Green, maybe, Clarke in Brown?

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Cast changes for Onegin on website today

18 Jan (m), 22 & 29 Feb  Mendizabal replaces Cuthbertson (Tatiana)

18 Jan (e), 7 & 12 Feb: Clarke replaces Muntagirov (Onegin)

21 Jan, 8 & 27 Feb: Bjørneboe Brǽndsrød replaces Clarke (Gremin)

Very disappointed about Muntagirov (perhaps needless to say...). I don't know the ballet well enough to have a general view about casting though. Still looking forward to seeing it (also needless to say!).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

So did I... but on the plus side, I thought Itziar was a terrific replacement for Lauren in the previous run.  It's so rare that she gets to play a romantic lead.

I’ll still go, of course; it’s just that Cuthbertson is such a wonderful actress.  I loved her partnership with Soares in Mayerling and I’m sure she would be a brilliant Tatiana.  I hope she’s ok and not injured? 

• Like 1

Given Muntagirov & Cutherbertson are still both down for their respective Sleeping Beauty performances this coming week, presumably this isn't due to injury in either case (unless the website just hasn't been updated for those performances yet). So would it be likely that both of them have decided that they aren't suited to the roles? I know opera singers cancel for that reason sometimes but I haven't been watching ballet long enough to know if it's something dancers do too.

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Given Muntagirov & Cutherbertson are still both down for their respective Sleeping Beauty performances this coming week, presumably this isn't due to injury in either case (unless the website just hasn't been updated for those performances yet). So would it be likely that both of them have decided that they aren't suited to the roles? I know opera singers cancel for that reason sometimes but I haven't been watching ballet long enough to know if it's something dancers do too.

more likely the Onegin curators made the changes, or else it’s a scheduling conflict.  Let’s hope it’s not injuries.

Edited by FionaE
Apostrophe

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If no reason is given for a cast change, I don't think it is appropriate (or fair) to make suggestions as to it has been made.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

more likely the Onegin curators made the changes, or else it’s a scheduling conflict.  Let’s hope it’s not injuries.

I expect Cuthbertson is busy with The Cellist so I hope that’s the only reason.

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

If no reason is given for a cast change, I don't think it is appropriate (or fair) to make suggestions as to it has been made.  

is it a new policy of the ROH not to explain why changes are made?

5 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Is it not human nature to speculate if no reason has been given though? Especially as many people will have booked for performances specifically to see one or other of the dancers. If people have paid anything up to £110 for a ticket (which might not be a lot of money for some people but is for others) then I feel it would have been courteous of the ROH to provide a reason for making 2 major cast changes only 11 days before the start of the run.

• Like 8