Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

And the press release received from the Royal Ballet:

January 2020        

News Announcement 

Casting update from The Royal Ballet 

The Royal Ballet announces cast changes and confirmations for forthcoming productions. 

It has been necessary to make Principal cast changes to Onegin, 

Reece Clarke replaces Vadim Muntagirov as Onegin on Saturday 18 January, Friday 7 February and Wednesday 12 February. Additionally, Itziar Mendizabal replaces Lauren Cuthbertson as Tatiana on Saturday 18 January (matinee), Saturday 22 February and Saturday 29 February. On Tuesday 21st January, Saturday 8th February and Thursday 27th February Reece Clarke is replaced by Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød as Prince Gremin. The rest of the cast remains unchanged. 

Casting for Dances at a Gathering by Jerome Robbins is also confirmed. On Monday 17 February, Tuesday 18 February, Tuesday 25 February and Wednesday 4 March, the cast comprises Marianela Nuñez Francesca Hayward, Yasmine Naghdi,Fumi Kaneko, Laura Morera, Alexander Campbell, William Bracewell, Federico Bonelli, Valentino Zucchetti and Luca Acri. On Friday 28 February and Wednesday 4 March, the cast comprises Sarah Lamb, Mayara Magri, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Tierney Heap, Marcelino Sambé, Nicol Edmonds, Reece Clarke, Benjamin Ella and James Hay. 

In other news, Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare announces that Reece Clarke has been promoted to First Soloist. Born in Scotland, Reece trained at The Royal Ballet School and graduated into the Company during the 2013/14 Season and was promoted to First Artist in 2016 and Soloist in 2017. Clarke grew up in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire. He trained at the Janis Ridley School of Dance in Scotland before joining The Royal Ballet School. Awards while at the School included the Young British Dancer of the Year in 2012, the Lynn Seymour Award in 2013 and an award from the Ballet Association. Awards since joining the Company have included the Emerging Artist Award at the 2016 Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards. His roles with the Company include Prince Florimund (The Sleeping Beauty), Prince (The Nutcracker), Aminta (Sylvia), Polixenes (The Winter’s Tale), Espada (Don Quixote) Des Grieux (Manon) as well as Principal roles in Concerto, After the Rain and Symphonic Variations.

• Like 3

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is it not human nature to speculate if no reason has been given though? Especially as many people will have booked for performances specifically to see one or other of the dancers. If people have paid anything up to £110 for a ticket (which might not be a lot of money for some people but is for others) then I feel it would have been courteous of the ROH to provide a reason for making 2 major cast changes only 11 days before the start of the run.

It may be human nature but it is not appropriate here.  We have no right to the information unless the dancers or the Royal Ballet are willing to share it; I don't think it is discourteous in the least.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It may be human nature but it is not appropriate here.  We have no right to the information unless the dancers or the Royal Ballet are willing to share it; I don't think it is discourteous in the least.

Okay, if it's not allowed here then I won't, but I'm afraid I still hold my opinion.

ETA Sorry if this sounds abrupt but I really hate uncertainty (I have Asperger's) so sudden changes without explanation annoy/stress me.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Okay, if it's not allowed here then I won't, but I'm afraid I still hold my opinion.

I agree with you Dawnstar.  It’s only natural to wonder why the changes have been made.  But I get the point that it’s not our right to be told.  It’s pretty obvious there are only a few possible reasons.

As one of those people who have forked out for top price seats on top of the travel costs, it’s now going to be an expensive trip to NOT see the dancers I carefully chose many months ago.  I cannot change dates due to other commitments, even if there were seats available.  Disappointing.  Sigh.

Just posted the following on the New ROH website thread:

The gremlins are back at work on the new ROH website:

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-cast-changes-winter-201920

"On 18 January (1.30pm), 22 February (7pm) and 29 February (7.30pm) Lauren Cuthbertson is replacing Itziar Mendizabal as Tatiana." 

Edited by Bluebird

Poor Cuthbertson, having to miss out on Tatiana again.  But Mendizabal was good last time around, and I'm glad she's had the opportunity to repeat it.  As others have said, she doesn't get many leading roles.  Pity Muntagirov's not doing Onegin, though, since his casting as that has prevented him from being put in as Lensky.

And to answer Dawnstar's question very generally: it seems to me (although I don't go to that much opera!) that it's rather rarer for a dancer to choose not to do a role than for a singer, but then the singers may be getting booked up up to 5 years in advance, which isn't usually the case for dancers!  I do remember cases of cast changes where dancers decided that a role no longer suited them, though.

• Like 2

Puzzled why they didn't replace Lauren Cutbertson by Laura Morera as Tatiana.

The Cranko Estate selected Lauren Cutbertson and Yasmine Naghdi as their new Tatiana's (with only four different casts Laura Morera and Sarah Lamb lost out). Obviously they went for Itziar Mendizabal instead of Laura Morera...

• Like 1

Agree, this would have been a great chance to see Morera in one of her finest roles, probably for the last time.  I was very disappointed that she wasn't cast this time.  She and Bonelli were utterly heartbreaking in this ballet.  Am thrilled that it's Miss Naghdi stepping into her shoes, but sad that we probably won't see her as Tatiana again. 

I saw Itziar last time around and really enjoyed her performance.  I am very glad that she's finally been given a leading role in a story ballet...she's had quite a wait.   

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

That's what I have always been told Alison. The Cranko Estate has the first and last word on who they want to cast.

Mr O'Hare may suggest but apparently the decision is theirs.

Please do correct me if what I have always been told is wrong. 

I'm trying to find the Ballet Association report which seemed to suggest something a bit different, but can't find it at the moment.  It may not be on the revised website yet ...

It is in anticipation of Onegin that I decided to write my first post (having been an avid reader of this forum for quite some time). 

Onegin is among my favourite books, so my interest in the ballet is very much grounded in my love of the book. While I have read it many times, I have only seen the ballet once, a few years ago in Paris, so I am very much looking forward to seeing RB perform it in a few weeks' time.

For me, in Onegin it's all about casting and characterisation. Of course, quality of dancing is important, but if I had to choose between between a perfectly danced but not so well cast/characterised performance and the opposite, I would choose the latter every time. (Although that would not be the case for most other ballets.) And the roles of Tatiana and Onegin are, of course, the key. Unless these two characters have the right balance of the right qualities (Tatiana, shy but intense; Onegin, jaded and sarcastic but with a touch of nobility underneath), the story, for me, stops making sense.

For this run, I booked Osipova/Muntagirov, purely because of the reviews of Osipova's performance last time. I was debating between her and Naghdi (I may still try to go and see her as I think she may be really good in this role), and unfortunately Onegin wasn't really a factor as I couldn't see either Muntagirov or Bonelli in this role.

And now Muntagirov has been replaced with Clarke and I am even less keen... To be honest, I don't think he currently has the acting skills to pull it off, although I really hope he will prove me wrong.

While there are a few ballerinas I would like to see in the role, I don't really see any male RB dancers as a good fit for Onegin. But if I had to choose, I would probably pick Ball, purely based on his Rudolf in Mayerling.

Well, maybe next time...

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum Librarianne!

Some years ago I saw a rather weird bits and bobs programme at The Lowry that consisted of various duets by members of RB & BRB (it was to do with the proposed Royal Opera House North).

The one duet that sticks in my mind was the final duet from Onegin as danced by Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli.  Even taken out of context it was incredibly powerful and emotional and I really would have loved to see this partnership performing.  However the casting does not include this pairing, in fact does not include Laura Morera at all.  I would still go for Bonelli though.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The one duet that sticks in my mind was the final duet from Onegin as danced by Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli.  Even taken out of context it was incredibly powerful and emotional and I really would have loved to see this partnership performing.  However the casting does not include this pairing, in fact does not include Laura Morera at all.  I would still go for Bonelli though.

Yes indeed, Morera/Bonelli pairing was probably my favourite of those I saw in the last run. Shame Laura not dancing the role this time round, but Naghdi/Bonelli looks an exciting combo in my book

• Like 10

Since I understand that the same post is not allowed to be put up on more than one BCF thread, I would just like to mention that I have written something relating to the Muntagirov situation on the thread about Reece Clarke's promotion (with regret because that should be all about Reece - how well-deserved his promotion is and how much we are looking forward to seeing HIM as Onegin!).

• Like 2

On 07/01/2020 at 13:52, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

Huge disappointment. I booked especially to see Vadim. 

The consolation is that he is not injured and was listed to appear at the Gala in Rome last night:

https://www.gramilano.com/2020/01/les-etoiles-gala-in-rome-2020-features-the-ballet-worlds-starriest-names-with-some-surprises/#comments

Edited by Amelia

36 minutes ago, Amelia said:

The consolation is that he is not injured and was listed to appear at the Gala in Rome last night:

https://www.gramilano.com/2020/01/les-etoiles-gala-in-rome-2020-features-the-ballet-worlds-starriest-names-with-some-surprises/#comments

The gala in Rome is next weekend.  Muntagirov is dancing Prince Florimund tonight,  this Saturday matinee and next Wednesday at the ROH.

• Like 2

Yes. But given the Forum rules expressly ban posting of anything learned at the stage door I can't repeat it. My comment was intended to point out that there is another way of finding out in addition to the asking the box office that another member did (though I think their comment is on the Reece Clarke thread rather than this one but I didn't want to derail that thread any further).

Would it be permitted to give this information in a private message?   I would never have the chance to go to the stage door, and cannot get to the Club meeting that Muntagiirov is speaking at.  If he is perfectly willing to give the information, it seems to me that it could be allowed to be shared.

• Like 3

I hope someone does share the reason (perhaps the rules will allow sharing after the talk on the 20th when it will be discussed openly?). I agree and understand that gossip/hearsay shouldn’t be repeated on here because it can be detrimental, incorrect and perhaps even hurtful, but if it’s come from directly from Muntagirov/ROH box office this is different to someone having overheard something they shouldn’t have or told something in confidence as it’s an ‘official’ source of information? 

It seems to be pretty much an open secret at this stage anyway, and forum rules would mean that if someone tried to make something up it would be removed? I don’t wish to partake in idle gossip but as has already been mentioned a lot of people had booked to see Muntagirov especially so to change casting as a late stage it would be appreciated to have some sort of explanation. 

I am disappointed not to see Muntagirov dance but delighted at Clarke’s promotion (well deserved and long overdue) and happy that if it can’t be Muntagirov it will be him as I think he’ll be brilliant in the role. 

• Like 2

Maybe if someone else speaks to the box office, perhaps they could ask them to tell the powers that be to make an official announcement.  It does seem to be a rather strange state of affairs that this hasn't happened when both Muntagirov himself and those representing the public face of the ROH are speaking freely about the matter.  

• Like 2