Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

I asked the box office on Saturday afternoon and this is what they told me .....

Muntagirov started rehearsing Onegin and he realised that he was not ready to dance the role, but he hopes he will dance it at some point in his career. 

That's it. 

It can't be a secret and as anyone can ring the box office and ask them I assume it is ok to post it here. 

• Like 18

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting for the explanation as to why it took them so long to make the cast change announcement (which I still have not received despite having  booked  2 performances. Thank you Forum!). As has been mentioned elsewhere there are pictures on the ROH Flickr page of Clarke rehearsing dated 12 December.  

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Still waiting for the explanation as to why it took them so long to make the cast change announcement (which I still have not received despite having  booked  2 performances. Thank you Forum!). As has been mentioned elsewhere there are pictures on the ROH Flickr page of Clarke rehearsing dated 12 December.  

Maybe Clarke only just started rehearsing when those photos were taken ? 

To be honest I think we are lucky to get the advance casting info we do from the RoH - many companies don't announce casting until a few weeks before the performances - Paris and Stuttgart to name just two. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JNC said:

I hope someone does share the reason (perhaps the rules will allow sharing after the talk on the 20th when it will be discussed openly?).

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the London Ballet Circle have the same rules about public disclosure as the Ballet Association?

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the London Ballet Circle have the same rules about public disclosure as the Ballet Association?

They put reports of the talks and interviews on their website, which is public.  

The London Ballet Circle's reports are also edited/approved by the guests before being published on the website. But, to be honest, I think that the 'reporters' in both organisations take 'care' over what they write in the first instance. They are not verbatim accounts!

And, yes, the LBC also asks people not to post on social media.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

On 20/12/2019 at 18:36, Jane S said:

So, you might guess in the first cast we'll see Morera in Green, and - I hope - Bonelii in Brown, Campbell in Green, Bracewell in Purple .  I can't remember how they sorted the women's roles last time between Mauve and Pink and Apricot.

I couldn't work out who would be who amongst the men in the second cast - Sambe in Green, maybe, Clarke in Brown?

Are there five colours with one colour for each couple for Dances at a Gathering? There's a rehearsal photo doing the rounds on several RB dancers' Instagrams where they're in rehearsal clothes that apparently match the colours they'll be wearing in the performances. So I'm trying to work out who might be dancing with who but I don't know the ballet so don't know if the colour schemes work in pairs or not!

No, the colours don't work in pairs - but in any case the dancers aren't five couples, except at the very end - there are different groupings in almost every section, and not necessarily the same ones that we saw in the first London production . I have given up trying to guess who will do what and will just wait and see! - though I do have some secret hopes...

There were some real surprises in the more recent castings, such as Edward Watson in Green - quite different from his usual emploi and very charming!

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jane S said:

There were some real surprises in the more recent castings, such as Edward Watson in Green - quite different from his usual emploi and very charming!

Ah, yes.  My immediate reaction to the news was "You can't have him dancing Green - that's Bonelli's role!", but in the end I liked him even more than Bonelli.  Needless to say, he's not cast in it this time around :( 

9 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Are there five colours with one colour for each couple for Dances at a Gathering? There's a rehearsal photo doing the rounds on several RB dancers' Instagrams where they're in rehearsal clothes that apparently match the colours they'll be wearing in the performances. So I'm trying to work out who might be dancing with who but I don't know the ballet so don't know if the colour schemes work in pairs or not!

In said rehearsal photos one can see the first cast dancers (Nunez is not in the photo but Lamb, 2nd cast to Nunez, is wearing pink) in the following colours :

Marianella Nunez - Pink

Francesca Hayward - Mauve

Yasmine Naghdi - Apricot

Laura Morera - Green

Fumi Kaneko - Blue

William Bracewell - Green

Frederico Bonelli - Orange 

Valentino Zucchetti - Blue

(Campbell and Acri - not visible)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received:

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Onegin on 7 February 2020. We are contacting you to let you know that, due to illness, Natalia Osipova has been replaced by Marianela Nuñez as Tatiana.

If you have any questions please contact our Box Office team on +44 (0)20 7304 4000 (Monday–Saturday: 10am–8pm) who will be happy to assist you.

Oh blast.  Just when I'd finally managed to get a ticket, too :(  Hoping Osipova will be better soon.

And oh well, I'd been considering getting a ticket for Saturday night as well, but I guess that becomes less vital now.

From the RoH this morning 

Onegin on 12 February 2020. We are contacting you to let you know that, due to illness, Natalia Osipova has been replaced by Marianela Nuñez as Tatiana, and Reece Clarke has been replaced by Guest Artist Roberto Bolle as Onegin. 

4 hours ago, annamk said:

From the RoH this morning 

Onegin on 12 February 2020. We are contacting you to let you know that, due to illness, Natalia Osipova has been replaced by Marianela Nuñez as Tatiana, and Reece Clarke has been replaced by Guest Artist Roberto Bolle as Onegin. 

Obviously, only sent to those who had booked tickets.  So people who hadn't booked, but might actually want to see one or both or the replacements - hardly inconceivable under the circumstances - and might want to hoover up any returned tickets would be unlikely to find out in time.  Plus, on the old website this would probably have shown up in related News items so that other people might have found out about it, but there's nowhere for this to happen on the new one.  But it was a sell-out, so I don't suppose the ROH is concerned about reselling returned tickets :( 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Oh for a fully functional and informative web site! Other organisations manage it, so why not ROH?

Which I remember the ROH having prior to the redesign - fully functional, including a very helpful calendar; timely, informative, erudite news pages; and a lively audience with many features attracting 100 plus comments.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Oh for a fully functional and informative web site! Other organisations manage it, so why not ROH?

Indeed. See here (pages and pages and pages):

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19491-new-roh-website/

The figures I have been given as to the cost of the “redesign” have not been confirmed (I am working on it though) but they are astonishing, well over £1million. 

• Like 1

I am reminded of my comment on the very first page of this thread, over six months ago:

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:34, RuthE said:

Interesting to note that a rumour I had heard about Onegin - regarding the appearance of a guest male lead - has not come to fruition.

That rumour was Nunez/Bolle.  Apparently I spoke too soon... :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

interesting to see that no mention has yet been made about replacements for Steven McRae in Swan Lake or Prodigal Son.

It seems that they are adopting a policy of only notifying people with tickets nearer the date and changing the website very late in the day.

I think that it's possible to guess at who will dance with Takada because some men appear to be fully occupied at that time and others have their shows later in the run than Takada.