Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still going through it but I’ll certainly be signing up for the Osipova/Muntagirov/Hayward/Ball Onegin and if I can manage it the Naghdi/Bonelli/O’Sullivan/Sissens(!) cast too.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Seems to have become unavailable or page not found. The only thing I could find was Cinema performance listing Cuthbertson and Bracewell in Swan Lake(tasty!)

Sorry - there was a typo in my link (I had to write it out rather than paste it in for boring reasons).

@Lizbie1 I'm not sure the typo is the problem, as I tried using your link with the typo corrected & still got a Page not found message.

To be honest, I'm a tad disappointed with some of the casting. The leads I most want to see in Onegin don't line up with each other, i.e. Nunez & Cutherbertson and Muntagirov & Bonelli are the ones I'd most like to see but none of them are opposite each other & I'm not sure I can manage to see 4 different casts. I'm disappointed Lamb isn't doing Tatiana. Some of the Gremin casting I find rather puzzling. Clarke & Mock? I would have expected the former at any rate to be doing Lensky.

I think Hayward & Corrales might be my first choice for Swan Lake, after their R&J, though I don't know whether they'll be as incredible in something more purely classical. Do we really need Hallberg occupying a leading role slot for the fifth time in a year? O'Hare might as well just make him a permanent principal.

No sign of Campbell in either piece. Will he be stuck doing Benno again? No sign of Morera either.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 7

I can find the pages just fine using google (google roh swan lake etc) so think they are accessible to all.

They haven’t casted the new Marston/Scarlett yet however.

It’s a shame Nuñez/Soares aren’t in Onegin together but the casting looks good. Glad to see Hayward and Kaneko debuting in Swan Lake (as well as Corrales of course).

Agree Hallberg may as well be principal at this point! Where’s Morera (and Campbell) - shame these are underused (especially if at the expense of Hallberg in Campbell’s case). Perhaps they’ll be featured in the new mixed bill?

I'd completely forgotten the existance of that double bill. I find it difficult to take much of an interest in it until they inform us what the two pieces are going to be, which presumably they'll do before booking opens.

I see that now the casts for Onegin & Swan Lake are up on the overview pages for each production so I guess my spreadsheet screenshots above are now surpless to requirements. It's too late now for me to remove them but if a moderator wants to do so please feel free to.

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I see that now the casts for Onegin & Swan Lake are up on the overview pages for each production so I guess my spreadsheet screenshots above are now surpless to requirements. It's too late now for me to remove them but if a moderator wants to do so please feel free to.

I prefer your tables!

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Interesting to note that a rumour I had heard about Onegin - regarding the appearance of a guest male lead - has not come to fruition.

I heard that too and I think that the right decision has been made (i.e. to give a company dancer the opportunity). It is one thing to bring in guests when there is a shortage but, in this case, there was clearly not.

In fact, Kevin O'Hare has also been brave enough to 'rest' favoured performers in order to cast two new Tatianas as well as two new Onegins. The 'mix' of experienced Onegins and Tatianas with newcomers to those roles is felicitous, in my view.

And, as has been pointed out, there is some exciting casting of Olga and Lensky too.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Who is the other new Tatiana? I know Naghdi is but I'd asumed that Nunez, Osipova & Cuthbertson had all already done the role before.

Lauren Cuthbertson will be new to the role. In 2015, Nunez danced with Soares and Osipova's Onegin was Matthew Golding.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Some fine casting here ... but I think I'm excited by O'Sullivan/Sissens casting as Olga/Lensky as much as I am by anything :)   Can't wait :) 

But why, o why is Morera not dancing Tatiana with Bonelli when it may well have been the last chance to see them together in this. And Clarke as Gremin?

And where is Campbell 😞

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, fashionista said:

No casting for the new Marston/Scarlett - have just gone to ROH link.

Yes I’m still unable to see the casting for this...

also @Dawnstar you’re tables are brilliantly clear, I hope they stay for future reference and thanks for sharing! 

• Like 4

Yes Dawnstar lets keep your screen shots they are really clear ...Thankyou!

I forgot the role of Benno is quite extended in this Swan Lake so might be interesting to see some of the casting for that role.

I see Sambe has only one Swan Lake as Siegfried so perhaps he is cast as Benno too? 

I will be very much looking forward to the Hayward Corrales Swan Lake and seeing Sissens in the Lensky role.

• Like 2

Thanks @JNC & @LinMM

I can see most of the casting for the new Marston/Scarlett by going in to each performance individually via the calendar but it's not currently showing up going in to each performance from the overall production page. Goodness only knows why this is the case! At present there is no second cast up for the Scarlett, hence the blanks below. (Pure speculation but I wonder if maybe Campbell might do the McRae role in the second cast? Given he's currently looking chronically underemployed. Again!)

Marston Scarlett.jpg

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I forgot the role of Benno is quite extended in this Swan Lake so might be interesting to see some of the casting for that role.

I see Sambe has only one Swan Lake as Siegfried so perhaps he is cast as Benno too?

Magri/Sambe & Kaneko/Bonelli do actually have another performance each but they're a School performance & Welcome performance respectively so I didn't include them in my list, given it's not as if I or, probably, anyone else reading this thread will be able to attend them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @JNC & @LinMM

I can see most of the casting for the new Marston/Scarlett by going in to each performance individually via the calendar but it's not currently showing up going in to each performance from the overall production page. Goodness only knows why this is the case! At present there is no second cast up for the Scarlett, hence the blanks below. (Pure speculation but I wonder if maybe Campbell might do the McRae role in the second cast? Given he's currently looking chronically underemployed. Again!)

Marston Scarlett.jpg

Many thanks for this x

After seeing her Juliet I was hoping to see Beatriz Stix-Brunell in another lead role as she was so stunning artistically and technically. She’s lit up the stage in everything I’ve seen her in, even just in supporting roles. Am I missing something or is she not cast much? What can I see her in this season?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, munchkin16 said:

After seeing her Juliet I was hoping to see Beatriz Stix-Brunell in another lead role as she was so stunning artistically and technically. She’s lit up the stage in everything I’ve seen her in, even just in supporting roles. Am I missing something or is she not cast much? What can I see her in this season?

As Lescaut's Mistress in Manon and in Concerto.

Well it looks like she has a mainish role in the new Marston Ballet as shown above but of course no details yet exactly about this new ballet.....as far as I know that is!!

Though I do know it's something to do with Jaqueline du Pre the cellist

Edited by LinMM

From a visual perspective alone, I would have liked to see Naghdi and Stix-Brunell as the sisters in Onegin, as they look quite alike and Stix-Brunell has already danced Olga!  Though I do wonder if Stix-Brunell might be a natural choice for studying and covering Tatyana this time, as I can certainly see her in the role.

• Like 4

Some interesting casting for Onegin, although, with the exception of the Naghdi/Ball/O'Sullivan/Sissens cast, there is always one that slightly makes me hesitate to buy a ticket.  However, one out of four ain't bad, so I will start saving my pennies now as I would like to see all the casts except one.

I too am disappointed not to see Morera/Bonelli in Onegin as they were just superb in it together.  However, if this means Naghdi getting to dance Tatiana, I don't feel as bad as I should!  And at least we are getting Morera/Bonelli in Manon. 

I have been saying for a while that David Donnelly should get a crack at Lensky, so I am very glad Kevin has listened to me!  :)

Re SL, very pleased that the Naghdi/Ball partnership is being continued for this (although I would love to see her dance it with Muntagirov too), and will be very interested to see if the Hayward/Corrales magic in R&J also translates to a purely classical ballet. 

Cuthbertson/Bracewell is also a very exciting and romantic prospect, although I am disappointed that he isn't doing it with Takada. 

• Like 4