Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

@art_enthusiast in your scenario I feel bad for the child - what terrible parents! 

not to take away from the fact the child’s behaviour was very irritating and shouldn’t disrupt others, the parents are definitely at fault here.

I wonder if in this scenario if it happens again (hopefully not!) the parents clearly aren’t worth engaging so a word to an usher so they can keep a proactive eye out and maybe ask them to leave. Problem is that would only be at the second interval presumably so a lot of damage is done, and whilst what you describe is irritating it may not be at the level of eviction. Why can’t people just be considerate?

I agree @Simconsistent approaches should be taken regardless of age (including adults!). I went to my first ballet at 5 and I remember it as a magic experience and I was silent throughout, spellbound! An 8 year old or teenager (or adult!) can be more badly behaved than a younger child. 

• Like 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sebastian said:

This confusion seemed worth drawing to ROH's attention. So I wrote to the ever helpful Graham Boland of ROH Customer Services. He replied (and I told him I would update the Forum with what he said):

>>Whilst we encourage all to attend our performances, we do have an age guidance of 5 years and above. Sometimes, it is difficult to gauge a child's exact age and occasionally when asked, a parent might provide a slightly older age which can prove difficult for a member of staff to decide upon. This is why the team will advise customers with young children to be aware of their environment with fellow audience members close by and request politely that they leave at the first sign of noise or irritation. I am sorry if this was not explained clearly to the customer before the performance on this occasion. 

In response to your request for clarification, please be assured that the matter is being addressed at this very time. Our Visitor Experience department, Front of House and Digital teams are working to ensure we have a consistent, departmental approach for delivery of this guidance for all our customers, both online and when visiting. We are aiming for this to be concluded in the coming weeks...It would be remiss of me to comment on this until the group has come to a fuller explanation. 

As ROH is engaged in a discussion about the issue I presume they would appreciate feedback from its patrons. Graham will no doubt be pleased to feed in any new ideas (I suggested they check the discussion here). 

Thank you for taking the time to contact ROH and for updating us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago there was a delightful

Childrens puppet Theatre at the Angel I think it was called The Little Angel theatre. 
They had different shows aimed at different age children and were incredibly strict about the rules for this! 
If the show was aimed at 3-5 year olds your 8 year old would not have been let in! 
If it was aimed at the 7-10

year olds your 3 year old would not have got in!! 
This could make it difficult for parents with fairly wide age ranges in their children but the Theatre seemed to be able to make it work. 
I’m trying to remember if they let adults in unaccompanied by children and don’t think they did as I really loved their shows so could only go when taking Friends children or a party from a school. 
If this childrens theatre can make the rules stick I don’t see why the ROH can’t though do realise it must be difficult to tell the ages of some children at times. 

The vast majority of children do behave very well luckily at least those attending the ROH seem to. 

Edited by LinMM

14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Some years ago there was a delightful

Childrens puppet Theatre at the Angel I think it was called The Little Angel theatre. 
They had different shows aimed at different age children and were incredibly strict about the rules for this! 
If the show was aimed at 3-5 year olds your 8 year old would not have been let in! 
If it was aimed at the 7-10

year olds your 3 year old would not have got in!! 
This could make it difficult for parents with fairly wide age ranges in their children but the Theatre seemed to be able to make it work. 
I’m trying to remember if they let adults in unaccompanied by children and don’t think they did as I really loved their shows so could only go when taking Friends children or a party from a school. 
If this childrens theatre can make the rules stick I don’t see why the ROH can’t though do realise it must be difficult to tell the ages of some children at times. 

The vast majority of children do behave very well luckily at least those attending the ROH seem to. 

I used to take my daughter there a lot and it was indeed a lovely venue, with great shows!  

• Like 1

Received from the Kennedy Center. Interesting I thought that the company requested it and it is not apparently house policy

Thank you for purchasing tickets to American Ballet Theatre: Romeo and Juliet. In an effort to provide a safe environment for the artists, the company has requested for no late seating once the performance has begun. Late arrivals will be seated during the first intermission for Act 2. Please plan to arrive early for your performance.

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Received from the Kennedy Center. Interesting I thought that the company requested it and it is not apparently house policy

Thank you for purchasing tickets to American Ballet Theatre: Romeo and Juliet. In an effort to provide a safe environment for the artists, the company has requested for no late seating once the performance has begun. Late arrivals will be seated during the first intermission for Act 2. Please plan to arrive early for your performance.

Also interesting that it's apparently in the interests only of the artists, not of the audience - ?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Is "safe environment" the magic phrase these days? I don't understand its application here!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Is "safe environment" the magic phrase these days? I don't understand its application here!

Unless the crowd at the Kennedy Center is a whole lot rowdier than I thought

Edited by oncnp

Today's Guardian reports that the Playhouse in Edinburgh had to stop a performance of Jersey Boys last week after a fight erupted! It quotes the Stage stating that ATG is working with producers and marketing to modify ad campaigns for its theatres. Apparently theatre staff face much abuse, occasionally even physical.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sim said:

I started taking my daughter to the ballet when she was 4, and she loved it so much that there was never a peep from her.  However, I chose the shows very carefully and was fully prepared to take her out if there was any noise!  I in turn had also been taken to the ballet by my parents from the age of 4.  

I'm another 4 year old starter but apparently I was mesmerised by Sibley, Dowell and Ashton's Cinderella.

One of my nieces (well prepared by having watched the production video several times) was four the first time I took her. At interval she asked the older ladies in front of us to please not talk in the ballet because "Grandma says no talkin' in the ballet". She was quite shocked actually 🤣 To their credit they apologised - to her - and kept quiet in the second act.

Another niece, twice the age, was so bored she said so - loudly - as the lilac fairy was bamboozling the prince around and around the forest.

Edited by Sophoife
Added text
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

Nasty behavior when dealing with fellow humans is apparently a sign of post-COVID times. It’s a major topic on airplanes, trains, etc. Theaters and museums too. 

• Like 2

On 14/02/2023 at 17:01, Sebastian said:

This confusion seemed worth drawing to ROH's attention. So I wrote to the ever helpful Graham Boland of ROH Customer Services. He replied (and I told him I would update the Forum with what he said):

>>Whilst we encourage all to attend our performances, we do have an age guidance of 5 years and above. Sometimes, it is difficult to gauge a child's exact age and occasionally when asked, a parent might provide a slightly older age which can prove difficult for a member of staff to decide upon. This is why the team will advise customers with young children to be aware of their environment with fellow audience members close by and request politely that they leave at the first sign of noise or irritation. I am sorry if this was not explained clearly to the customer before the performance on this occasion. 

In response to your request for clarification, please be assured that the matter is being addressed at this very time. Our Visitor Experience department, Front of House and Digital teams are working to ensure we have a consistent, departmental approach for delivery of this guidance for all our customers, both online and when visiting. We are aiming for this to be concluded in the coming weeks...It would be remiss of me to comment on this until the group has come to a fuller explanation. 

As a follow up to this discussion I just noticed this post on another thread on the Forum, which is perhaps related:

I had a rather unfortunate run in last week at the Royal Opera House with an amphitheatre neighbour who proceeded to attempt to eat chicken wings all the way through Act 1. I do wonder if perhaps the security guards should flag a warning that you can’t eat in the auditorium when they perform the bag search and see this gigantic Tupperware. As it is, I eventually took it upon myself to politely tap her on her shoulder and tell her it isn’t allowed. She huffed but did stow them away, but unfortunately I found myself thinking about the interaction for longer than I should’ve. 

She also then proceeded to shoot me dirty looks in every interval, but that is beyond my control really

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

I had a rather unfortunate run in last week at the Royal Opera House with an amphitheatre neighbour who proceeded to attempt to eat chicken wings all the way through Act 1. I do wonder if perhaps the security guards should flag a warning that you can’t eat in the auditorium when they perform the bag search and see this gigantic Tupperware. As it is, I eventually took it upon myself to politely tap her on her shoulder and tell her it isn’t allowed. She huffed but did stow them away, but unfortunately I found myself thinking about the interaction for longer than I should’ve. 

She also then proceeded to shoot me dirty looks in every interval, but that is beyond my control really

Yikes, chicken wings is a new low. That reminds me of that woman who decided to start chomping and slurping through an entire sandwich and boxed salad picnic in front of our row during a BBC Prom that was being broadcast live on radio and tv. (She wasn’t eating quietly either and she was quite near a tv camera!) Apologies to forum members who have already read the story once on another thread. Wonder if it’s the same person....! 

I wonder why some people can’t wait till the interval to go outside to eat their picnic. The prologue and acts are not that long. Well done for telling her to stop, MildConcern. The dirty looks mean that the message has gone through  and for her benefit and the benefit of those around her she will remember to eat her dinner earlier next time, or failing that, wait for the interval. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MildConcern said:

I am the same. If I politely ask someone to turn their phone off or stop talking, I feel tense for quite a while. It takes a lot for me to actually ask someone to stop doing something they're not allowed to do and I suppose by the time I actually pluck up the courage to speak, I am already stressed. I cannot understand why people are so thoughtless. It seems to be happening much more these days. I have yet to encounter someone eating chicken wings during a performance - I sincerely hope I never do!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, capybara said:

The guidance for each performance of SB now reads as follows. Is this a change?

GUIDANCE: Content suitable for all, subject to House rules

In a technical sense this removes the confusion as to whether the ROH are - or are not - more “relaxed” about their rules regarding children under 5 at Sleeping Beauty. So well done ROH for thinking this through that far.

But what silly wording. The sentence now makes hard work out of something simple. Imagine the family who wants to bring a toddler to the show. Now they see this sentence which reads rather obscurely and expects people to know (or look up) “House rules”.

The only patrons potentially excluded by “House rules” are young children,  so why not just say so? Putting “5+” everywhere is surely simpler and easier to understand than two different official statements, in different places, one about “Rules” and one about “Guidance”, and which have to be consulted in conjunction.

Not everyone has a legalistic mind, nor the time to study a lot of small print. When my kids were that small I could barely find time to brush my teeth, never mind solve bureaucratic puzzles.

But perhaps (as I posted earlier in this thread) this is an example of the sort of knot ROH gets into when seeking to boast to the world (or rather to the Arts Council) that it is OPEN TO ALL AND PARTICULARLY TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE WE’RE NOT ELITIST OH NO while at the same time trying to maintain some kind of order. One sympathises but I don’t think this solution to the age issue is all that good. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PeterS said:

My experience of 4 year olds is that they tend not to have mobile phones so, provided they can be prevailed upon to behave responsibly, perhaps they should be welcomed as audience members 😉

(to avoid any confusion my tongue is firmly in my cheek as I write)

Though  they do tend to wriggle around a lot and speak out RATHER LOUDLY! 🙄..and not just 4 year olds!

12 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Yikes, chicken wings is a new low. That reminds me of that woman who decided to start chomping and slurping through an entire sandwich ….

Hey, Ms Chicken Wings bought a ticket. Nowadays, it’s a balance…bring in new younger audience members. Last year, the Kennedy Center in Wash DC had new rules about drinks with topped cups, for ex. Ye Olde Etiquette no longer works.

• Thanks 1

Since lock down, I have noticed a tendency in various different situations for people to behave in an antisocial way.  Not just in theatres, but in other places where groups gather together.  I got involved in a sharp exchange in a hospital waiting room the other week.  A woman was sitting next to me, coughing all over me continually, in between sneezing and sniffling.  When I moved to another seat she  said loudly it wasn't Covid, just a cough.  I agreed that she couldn't help having a cold, but I pointed out politely that it was a hospital, and perhaps she could help herself to one of the freely available masks.  Cue lots of shouting on her part along the lines of "How dare you tell me what to do....."

Do you think people have forgotten how to interact with others since being cooped up in lock down?  A certain "Now I am free to do whatever I want no matter where I am?"

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Hey, bought a ticket. Nowadays, it’s a balance…bring in new younger audience members. Last year, the Kennedy Center in Wash DC had new rules about drinks with topped cups, for ex. Ye Olde Etiquette no longer works.

Ms Chicken Wings in buying that ticket agreed to the ROH rules...which include not eating in the auditorium. 

Edited by oncnp

I'm waiting for people to start bringing in unfinished dinner in a doggy bag from the ROH restaurant....leading to '....photography, and sea bass are not permitted during the performance' announcements

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

When it first happened at The Kennedy Center, my friend (who is an usher at the KC), was told that the new food/drink rules relate to sports stadiums and theatres. New audiences compare performing arts to movies and games.

Too bad they can't read......

18 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I'm waiting for people to start bringing in unfinished dinner in a doggy bag from the ROH restaurant....leading to '....photography, and sea bass are not permitted during the performance' announcements

but on that a few prominent signs and an announcement outlining the house rules certainly would help.  At least then people couldn't say they didn't know. 

The first time we took our dds to the Royal Ballet, I told them that they had to be on their best behaviour because if they weren’t, it would spoil the performance for others. I added they if this happened, we would not be going to the ROH or London theatre or concerts again. They were absolutely fine, in fact the youngest, who was five at the time, sat enraptured and my eldest daughter who has ADHD, was equally well behaved. I think it helped that they had both done amateur theatre from a very young age and were used to having to be quiet backstage. 

• Like 5