Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

6 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

A phone went off in the orchestra during the Tannhaeuser rehearsal!

Not that this is any excuse (and frankly people shouldn't need to be asked or reminded), but I can't recall the usual request for the audience to switch off their phones during the performance.

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember thinking that those were noticeable by their absence, not only at the ROH, but certainly at Sadler's Wells and somewhere else too, in the autumn.  I meant to comment here when they finally returned, but now I can't remember when it was, except that it was middle of a run of something (Mayerling?).

Thankyou Candleque! 
I’ve never been on Instagram or Twitter etc so am not familiar with the rules and customs which go along with them so take back my possible Nunez vanity claim!! 
Mind you if I could dance as well as Nunez I probably wouldn’t mind a few videos being around of my dancing but most amateur dancers dread them especially if filmed by a stranger! 
In my original post I didn’t mean just the official videos and films made but also the perhaps impromptu filmings in the studio by other dancing friends in the Company etc. 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 09:15, bangorballetboy said:

A phone went off in the orchestra during the Tannhaeuser rehearsal!

Oh, this reminds me of the experience I had on the first night of the diamond celebration. Front of stalls, just near the cameras too!

So, as soon as the overture started and the projection came on someone's phone started beeping (I think it was actually a reminder for the show). A man got very annoyed about it, and was telling people to check their phones. It continued to chime all through the first PDD, non stop. Then still halfway through the Manon PDD, the camera woman was asking people to check their phones, the man was very angry, telling everyone to check. I even looked at mine, even though it's always on silent and I double check this every time I'm in a theatre.

It turned out to be the mans phone who was telling everyone else to check theirs, he hadn't bothered to take his own advice, and we had to hear it chiming through one and a half PDD's. Absolutely frustrating and distracting.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 09:24, MJW said:

Not that this is any excuse (and frankly people shouldn't need to be asked or reminded), but I can't recall the usual request for the audience to switch off their phones during the performance.

I think nowadays people need more reminders than ever! That also includes smart watches, fitbits, tablets- ANYTHING with a screen that lights up. If they don’t want to turn their watch or phone off because it interferes with telling the time, make sure it’s on silent with all alarms deactivated (not “silent but my regular alarm for Game of Thrones/Corrie/Strictly/whatever still comes on every single day”). Fitbits & smartwatches that light up are a particular nuisance if anyone has ever sat next to someone wearing one and got blinded by it numerous times in a ballet, opera or play: put it in your bag or pocket so it doesn’t blind your neighbours every time you move your arm, if you can’t bear to turn it off. And one might think it odd that anyone would bring a tablet on an outing to a theatre, but I have twice seen people bringing them to take pictures.  Yes, they should include it in the announcements. Lots of theatregoers nowadays don’t know how to behave properly. 

• Like 2

With all the talk about filming, I noticed that Marianela, has reposted on her IG an audience members video of part of the Rose Adage from last night’s SB. Looking at the angle, I wonder if they were in one of the boxes where filming is possibly less disruptive to other audience members.  Even so, I still think that dancers should, at the most, only repost curtain calls.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

With all the talk about filming, I noticed that Marianela, has reposted on her IG an audience members video of part of the Rose Adage from last night’s SB. Looking at the angle, I wonder if they were in one of the boxes where filming is possibly less disruptive to other audience members.  Even so, I still think that dancers should, at the most, only repost curtain calls.

I saw some camera lights from one of the the boxes last night.  A couple of flashes.  I was down in the stalls circle so I could see it. There was also someone in the stalls who took a couple of photos.  We did have the announcement last night about no mobiles or photographs.  

Last night, in the slips, we had the youngest child I have ever seen at Covent Garden in some fifty years of attending (but maybe others can beat this). It was only just walking, so sat on Mummy's lap, but could chatter, which it cheerfully did, throughout. The child was certainly distracting, though sweet. 

In the first interval I spotted a couple having words with an usher and heard that "our rules are relaxed for these ballets". Someone from the staff popped in to check on the situation when the lights went down again. After the second interval it seems mother and child were either reseated elsewhere or had left. 

Once again last night, an usher popped forward to ask people to switch off their phones just before the performance started. An audience member had already asked them to do so but they ignored her. However, the usher intervention seemed to do the trick and they didn’t offend again. It just goes to show that if more ushers were proactive about this it could make a big difference.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Last night, in the slips, we had the youngest child I have ever seen at Covent Garden in some fifty years of attending (but maybe others can beat this). It was only just walking, so sat on Mummy's lap, but could chatter, which it cheerfully did, throughout. The child was certainly distracting, though sweet. 

In the first interval I spotted a couple having words with an usher and heard that "our rules are relaxed for these ballets". Someone from the staff popped in to check on the situation when the lights went down again. After the second interval it seems mother and child were either reseated elsewhere or had left. 

this is a tricky one and I appreciate childcare can be difficult to find/expensive but if others have paid money (that they may have sacrificed and saved) for a special experience, only to hear constant chattering from a child (well meaning or not) I don’t think it’s fair. Roh should have clear guidance on their website about children being of a certain age (maybe 5+) and they should have their own seat - anyone too little/dependant to sit alone probably shouldn’t be in an auditorium where they should be quiet and remain in one seat/lap for a bit over an hour.

ROH should really be banning children that young to be honest, and the mother shouldn’t have thought it was acceptable. 

I also find it a bit of an odd comment to say exceptions were made for sleeping beauty. I’d understand the nutcracker a little more (though would still say someone who can’t sit in their own seat shouldn’t attend) as it’s only two acts and shorter. But while sleeping beauty is a fairytale it’s a long ballet, over 3 hours with long acts. Doesn’t make sense to me! 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, JNC said:

tRoh should have clear guidance on their website about children being of a certain age (maybe 5+) and they should have their own seat - anyone too little/dependant to sit alone probably shouldn’t be in an auditorium where they should be quiet and remain in one seat/lap for a bit over an hour.

Last night I saw a child, probably (hopefully?) the same one being breast-fed in the lobby. 

And the ROH does have a policy and lacks either the staff or the will to enforce it. 

1.8. Children aged 5–14 must have their own ticket and must be seated next to an accompanying adult. Children aged 0–4 will not be admitted to the auditoriums unless otherwise advertised.

Edited by oncnp

I wonder what the usher meant by “ we are relaxed for these ballets”🤔

It seems to show a lack of awareness of what is suitable for under 5 year olds! 
Sleeping Beauty is a very long time to sit and watch even for a 7 year old let alone a child who was obviously about 3 it seems. 
We had this at the Colisseum two children on laps who didn’t have their own seats. As it happened one of them fell asleep after some coughing fits and then they left at one of the intervals so it never got to the stage of possible constant chatter which would have really annoyed me in Swan Lake. 
There was a very young couple sitting next to us ( very early 20’s) and they remarked how unsuitable it was for such young children so it’s not necessarily age which dictates a degree of common sense. 
I think the ROH where the seats are twice as expensive should stick to their own rules about this. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Last night I saw a child, probably (hopefully?) the same one being breast-fed in the lobby. 

And the ROH does have a policy and lacks either the staff or the will to enforce it. 

1.8. Children aged 5–14 must have their own ticket and must be seated next to an accompanying adult. Children aged 0–4 will not be admitted to the auditoriums unless otherwise advertised.

I thought they did! They should be enforcing it. Sorry but they need to enable and train staff to turn away very young babies/children as per their own rules! I doubt many other attendees would be sympathetic, a crying baby would ruin an opera/ballet.

• Like 5

I am really surprised that ANY parent would take a toddler to an evening performance of an adult ballet.  They should, as per their own rules, not have been allowed to do so (perhaps their babysitter let them down at the last minute).   I am even more surprised that an usher said 'they relax the rules for this kind of ballet."  I wonder if the scenario would have been the same had it happened in the Stalls?  Would the rules be relaxed for people who have spent £170 to watch a ballet, I wonder?  Of course, it doesn't matter whether you've paid £10 or £100....you should be able to get lost in the ballet without being disturbed by crying or chatter.  I'm not sure how that child was allowed into the auditorium.  Of course, if it's a Nutcracker matinee or a special children's matinee then of course there will be chatter and noise, but you expect it then.  NOT at an evening performance of an adult, three-act ballet!  I wonder if the House manager was aware?

• Like 9

I'm sure people do anyway, but I would urge anyone to report anything as mentioned above to ROH. If the management is not aware of rules being enforced properly etc etc, then the situation won't improve. 

With regard to young children, I can't see anything specific mentioned regarding "relaxed" rules for SB but the website states 

"Children age five and above are permitted into our auditoria. They must have their own ticket and sit next to an accompanying adult. Some events are open to families with children younger that five. This will be clearly stated on the production or event web page"

I have a nephew and niece of 10 and 7 and would be very happy to take them to see something but I'm certain they would be bored after a while and unlike a DVD, a live production can't be paused to go and do something else half way through!

• Like 5

I haven’t seen babies in the auditorium but sometimes see them with parents in other areas during intervals. I always assumed they’ve just been brought to visit the ROH building/public café part or are waiting for other family members to come out after a show.

I think it’s completely preposterous to allow them in the auditorium. Unless there is some sort of special short performance which caters to them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alison said:

I'm pretty sure it says on the production page either that it's not suitable for the under 5s or that they aren't allowed.

On the website it says...  Guidance: Suitable for All.  So some people take that to mean toddlers as well, I guess!!  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sim said:

On the website it says...  Guidance: Suitable for All.  So some people take that to mean toddlers as well, I guess!!  

That sounds like a possible explanation for the "relaxed" comment by the usher. 

4 hours ago, Sim said:

So it does.  I stand corrected.  I've definitely seen something recently marked as being suitable for the over-5's.  Anyway, I'm not sure anyone would expect "Suitable for all" to include babes in arms!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

Ludicrous to have tiny ones at an evening, long ballet. Fabulous to introduce them to it through events aimed at that age group which are available. However. Is it possible this was a relative or partner of one of the dancers? 

Not sure they’d be sitting in the slips if that were the case!

Last night I attended an opera performance that went a long way towards putting me off live theatre for good, thanks to the audience. I've never known so many patrons leave their seats during a show - the noise they made by clumping up and down the stairs of the dress circle was maddening. The couple sitting next to me both left the auditorium TWICE. I can understand why this happens at pantomimes and other children's shows, but not at "Madama Butterfly"! Are adult bladders weaker than they used to be? Is it no longer possible to go for more than an hour without food or drink?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday the audience at the swan lake matinee at the Mayflower was the worst in my theatre going so far. Very young children, I would guess 3 years old, who talked through the whole of act IV, people dropping metal water bottles throughout, cracking of plastic beakers, rustling sweet bags through acts I and II, half a row getting up in the short gap between acts I and II ( why they didn’t announce this I don’t know), mobile going off at the start of the white pas de deux etc.

Total disrespect for the company and inconsiderate behaviour to fellow audience members.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really do wish ROH would make the no phones policy much louder (I could barely hear it at the start of tonight’s performance?) and then play it again when lights go down after each interval. It may not have much impact but it wouldn’t hurt. 

I am getting fed up of the more emboldened use of phones. It used to be rare, and then occasional, but people felt a little ashamed when caught out/told off as they knew they were in the wrong. now post covid I feel it gets increasingly worse each time I go.

tonight the woman I was sat next to, after behaving perfectly well for 99% of the performance, decided to get out her phone for a picture towards the end of the final pas de deux. I told her “put your phone away” in a firm but not harsh tone. She did comply, but chose to glare at me (which I ignored as I didn’t wish to engage further) and then had the audacity to say “please” to me!! 

Sometimes when people are confronted because they are in the wrong, deep down they know they are wrong but wish to deny it to save some face I suppose. I just ignored her, what did she expect me to say? 

It wasn’t a request!! 

before the pandemic I hardly ever had these incidents, and since I’ve had this and one other where the person confronted has decided to rebut in a way where they clearly feel the aggrieved party for some reason causing further unpleasantness. It usually ends there as I don’t engage further, but it still leaves a very unpleasant ending to affairs. It’s almost getting to the point where I’m put off attending live performances as the risk of these altercations happening seems to increase each time!

I know I should perhaps ignore and let them carry on for my own sake but I think of others it may be distracting who are perhaps too far to say anything, and also feel I don’t want to let them “get away with it” out of some principle. All immensely frustrating and I wish these people would stop being so selfish - and also enjoy the live performance they’ve paid to see, not worry about a “good” picture!

I am going to email Roh suggesting they play the message after each interval, not sure if it will help but maybe they’ll consider it. 

• Like 6

Aside from phones it was also a very noisy start to the performance tonight, the growing acceptability of people talking over the overture also frustrates me. It sets the anticipation for the curtain opening and the tone of the scene, I find it disrespectful to the orchestra and to the rest of the audience. There were quite a few shushes tonight that I was very much on the side of!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Millicent said:

I think the announcements should make it clear that you are allowed to take photos before curtain up and at the curtain calls but at no other times. 

I think this would overcomplicate things - a simple “no photos during the performance” covers it. (Which I think is what they do say anyway?)

If you really wanted to you could have signs about the building that would inform people like an faq and images - someone with a finger over their mouth to indicate no talking, they already have icons outside the doors with crossed out circles of food/drink but they are almost too small and tasteful perhaps! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JNC said:

I think this would overcomplicate things - a simple “no photos during the performance” covers it. (Which I think is what they do say anyway?)

If you really wanted to you could have signs about the building that would inform people like an faq and images - someone with a finger over their mouth to indicate no talking, they already have icons outside the doors with crossed out circles of food/drink but they are almost too small and tasteful perhaps! 

From my experience as an usher I am not sure those who are not respectful of theatre etiquette would take any notice of them at all. 

• Like 1